Anybody else NOT like The Legend of Korra?

I am a huge fan of The last Airbender (not the movie) and for some reason The legend of Korra went completely under my radar until a friend told me about it last week. Maybe he over-hyped it as he has been saying for the better part of a week how amazing it is but after watching 6 episodes my overall impression is 'mer'.

The action is good (althrough Korra is suppost to have mastered fire, earth and water but from what I have seen Zuko, Toph and Katara had her beat to say nothing of Aang) and if anything the animation has improved but I having a hard time actually giving a crap about the new characters. I just do not like them, Or to be more specific I do not like them as much as the characters from The Last Airbender. I will continue to keep an eye on it, waiting for the inevitable flashback episode detailing what happened with the old characters as well for the episode where Aang finaly speaks to Korra but I think I am done.

Anywhy why do you like/not like this show.

Its natural that anyone who loves the old series will be a little hesitant to like this one because change and hype is scary. I personally think its a very interesting story. Ill agree the characters are hardly amazing and complex but the premise? Fucking interesting.

Living in a society with 50% godlike powers and 50% have to learn to be a complete ninja to keep up and suddenly technology turns the tables is fascinating. Rights are discussed and complex and the bad guys actually raise valid points rather than just being "teh evilz". They fight for a real goal with understandable motivations and fears. I think its better motivation that firelord Osai had other than being a complete dick. Its a stark contrast to Aangs time when he could just rip shit up and everyone just had to deal with it. Non benders were a non issue and he could just smack down baddies with bending left right and centre.

This is a guerilla war. Every fight makes the bad guys look better. Its going to get dark. And i like it.

How could you not like it? You at least have to give Amon some credit. He's such a great villain.

It has some pacing issues (think Full Metal Alchemist vs Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood) I feel, but the story at large (even if its essentially X-Men) and the characters themselves aren't too bad. The action scenes are awesome at any rate.

Although I liked the Last Airbender A LOT it was a series that I think didn't really hit its stride until Season 2. Maybe this will be the same? But I agree about feeling a little 'meh'. They just don't spend enough time building up characters/relationships. The story is just too rushed. Hopefully with the events of the last episode they'll finally slow it down a little.

Heh. This show is my weekly guilty pleasure.

I like it better than the previous series. It feels a little more grown-up while still being a kid's show. I really like the whole thing with the non-benders turning the tables with technology and martial arts. Also, the mixture of elemental-magic-spirit-world-shenanigans and 1920s technology works surprisingly well.

In terms of characters, I think Korra is a much better protagonist than Aang. I never really liked him much. Admittedly, some of the supporting cast are little weak. I miss Toph, she was awesome.

On the other hand, Lin and Tenzin or both good.

FilipJPhry:
How could you not like it? You at least have to give Amon some credit. He's such a great villain.

Amon is the only thing I liked but not enough to stick with it.

Honestly, I think the Pro-bending story held it back from being epic. When they focus on the Equalists and Republic City's political struggles, it's really good, but they spent the better part of 4 episodes not doing much besides pro-bending. Pro-bending is a cool sport, but it's not something to build a story around.

That said, I still think the show is amazing, and Korra is an awesome character. Hopefully season two will have more focus and be even better, but by no means is season one bad, or even less-than-great.

Yeaaaah. I'm more into Avatar: the Last Airbender than the Legend of Korra.

I like it, Korra is a good character, but can't compare to Aang, Bolin is ok, but still, can't compare to Sokka, and Mako just reminds me too much of a douche I know in real life to like at all, despite him also being the new Katara.

I agree with the emphasis on pro-bending being too much, cool and all, but it could've been implemented into the story better, everything so far has been so predictable, though I really appreciate some of the jokes being carried over,(who didn't start rolling on the floor laughing until your sides hurt when you heard "NOT MY CABBAGE CORP!!")the minor flashbacks, but when compared to how great the first series was and this one only supposed to run for two seasons before being wrapped up just makes the show worse because it's already a quarter of the way through and the stage is still being set.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the show, but it just doesn't have that charm the Last Airbender had, though I do like that they've aged the show,story,characters, concepts, etc. as the original audience have aged.

I'm already hoping for the next earth-bending Avatar though, maybe it'll be circa 1950's with bending in space, air-benders are going to be screwed.

Zhukov:
Heh. This show is my weekly guilty pleasure.

I like it better than the previous series. It feels a little more grown-up while still being a kid's show. I really like the whole thing with the non-benders turning the tables with technology and martial arts. Also, the mixture of elemental-magic-spirit-world-shenanigans and 1920s technology works surprisingly well.

In terms of characters, I think Korra is a much better protagonist than Aang. I never really liked him much. Admittedly, some of the supporting cast are little weak. I miss Toph, she was awesome.

On the other hand, Lin and Tenzin or both good.

I agree completely. I also like Amon of course, and the story seems to be moving a bit faster than the previous show. I suppose that may change now, but I think it could keep the pace up if they don't mess up. Basically all the villains so far have been very entertaining.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked