concern for pixars next movie

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

i have a bit of a sinking feeling in anticipation for brave, i expect it to be good, but currently i cant think of the joke that will be holding the movie together.

what i mean by this is that every pixar movie has had a joke that held everything together, be it toy stories "what if toys were alive?" to cars' "what if the world were nothing but cars?" or even the incredibles "what if super-heroes had to be ordinary?" from each of the questions framing the movies they take the setting and then create the story out of it. in brave i cant think of what it could be, but it may also be that pixar never revealed the jokes before release and i never noticed it since this is the first time i'm anticipating a pixar movie.

the one thing i did contemplate is maybe the joke is simply "what if the main character was a girl?" but that almost seems weak for a setup

Brave is probably the first Pixar movie I'm not even remotely interested in, even less so than Cars 2. I don't what it is about it, it just doesn't look the slightest bit interesting to me.

Hazy992:
Brave is probably the first Pixar movie I'm not even remotely interested in, even less so than Cars. I don't what it is about it, it just doesn't look the slightest bit interesting to me.

The others were comedies, this is not.

Remember, Disney now owns Pixar. They were bound to make more "disney style" movies, and we know these days Disney is trying to make "serious dramas with some laughs" for kids.

Kendarik:

Hazy992:
Brave is probably the first Pixar movie I'm not even remotely interested in, even less so than Cars. I don't what it is about it, it just doesn't look the slightest bit interesting to me.

Remember, Disney now owns Pixar. They were bound to make more "disney style" movies, and we know these days Disney is trying to make "serious dramas with some laughs" for kids.

I wouldn't really call that many Pixar movies comedies, especially not Wall-E and Up.

Remember, Disney now owns Pixar. They were bound to make more "disney style" movies, and we know these days Disney is trying to make "serious dramas with some laughs" for kids.[/quote]

the thing with that is that john lasseter is in charge of disney animation, so i have high hopes for most disney animation

Pixar has stated that this is their first fairy tale movie, taking some familiar elements from Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm and hopefully throwing their own little spin on it. I doubt you can consider that as the "joke" or "what if..." scenario, but it should be interesting to see the outcome regardless.

Having finally watched the proper trailer for it today, I lost a bit of enthusiasm. This might just be because they refused to show anything of the actual protagonist being interesting - all the jokes were from 'wacky support characters', and all she did was climb and shoot stuff...

Did you not see the fur textures on that bear?

This seems like a theme for one of Disney's hand drawn musicals then a Pixar story. I actually would be more interested then. As a Pixar movie, I'm not seeing the draw.

The joke will probably have something to do with bears.

Maybe everyone in the movie turn into bears? What if the king and queen of a country turned into bears?

I dunno...

Anyway, I'm still interested in that movie.

For some reason I thought Brave was a DreamWorks movie : \

It really looks non-Pixar, doesn't it? I will keep my expectations low until I see it, then I will not be disappointed. I hope it will be good though, Pixar rarely make bad movies!

Well, yes, they usually do have some sort of silly joke 'question', as it were, but I think the main thing each film has had is a deep moral. I don't feel they need to have some sort of silly concept behind it to have a good moral and still be Pixar style.

It just doesn't seem to have that unique look that all Pixar movies have. Even Cars had it.

It looks very bland, but maybe that's because of all the green.

Anyway, it's a pixar movie so I doubt it'll be that bad.

I'm not interested in seeing it and I've seen all the other pixar movies. If they are marketing this as more of a serious film they should leave out the attempts at comedy you see in the trailer >_>;

I wanna see it. I liked pretty much all the other movies. Except Cars.
My little brother made us leave the cinema during Cars because he was so bored. Kids can be harsh critics.

I have faith that Brave will be good as surely no films can get worse than Cars 2 rigth? I assume the joke seen to be a twist so they're keeping it a secret until it is out.

Kendarik:

Hazy992:

Disney has always owned Pixar, and John Lasseter (Founder of Pixar) is now the top guy in charge of all animated movies by dinsney and pixar, so even disney movies independent of Pixar still have that pixar touch.

I don't think that it really matters does it? I mean this is pixar they have never made a film which has not made at least $150 million domestic box office. They could make a two hour film on paint drying and it would still be a box office smash.

Kendarik:

Hazy992:

this explains why I never liked Pixar that much. It's cuz I never liked disney.

I think it will be pretty good. I've yet to see a bad movie be released by Pixar. But I won't see it in theaters.

I see it as a grand adventure, coming of age Disney story. It'll have comedy in it but that'll be interspersed throughout the movie. The Lion King wasn't a comedy but Timon and Pumbaa were pretty damn hilarious in most of their scenes.

The less Disney has to do with it, the better it probably will be. Seeing how it looks like a Disney fairytale, it doesn't look too good.

For a second there, I thought we were talking about Wreck-It Ralph, because I think a movie about video games based on a Toy Story-esque mini-verse with a lot of iconic characters would be awesome.

Anyway, I'm really interested in Brave, as it is the first Disney film to take on a Scottish setting and it seems like a fun film. I hope that it turns out well.

Every single Pixar movie I see all the previews and such and I say to myself "Yeah, I don't think this one is for me." And every time I'm dead wrong.

I doubt this one will be any different.

The big question is: What part is John Ratzenberger playing?

I'm riding on the "it's Pixar, and they only f***** up when they made a cash-in, so it has to be good" train that's been making the rounds. That's the thing though, for once, I'll probably check its tomatometer before considering a trip to the theater, which never happens when I'm talking about a Pixar movie. :/

I'm just hoping that they aren't losing their magic like Disney did in the late 90's-present.

You're all on crazy pills. D :

It looks wonderful.

ankensam:
i have a bit of a sinking feeling in anticipation for brave, i expect it to be good, but currently i cant think of the joke that will be holding the movie together.

what i mean by this is that every pixar movie has had a joke that held everything together, be it toy stories "what if toys were alive?" to cars' "what if the world were nothing but cars?" or even the incredibles "what if super-heroes had to be ordinary?" from each of the questions framing the movies they take the setting and then create the story out of it. in brave i cant think of what it could be, but it may also be that pixar never revealed the jokes before release and i never noticed it since this is the first time i'm anticipating a pixar movie.

the one thing i did contemplate is maybe the joke is simply "what if the main character was a girl?" but that almost seems weak for a setup

Jokes?

They sound more like concepts or questions, than attempts at humour.

A fairy tale that will flip the traditional views of those stories that portray women as helpless? I'm down for that.

Pixar for me have never been about gags or punchlines. That is the draw for little kids and there is still humour there for adults. But Toy Story 3, Up and Wall-E are more than punch line films.

I figure Brave will fall under the same category. It's not going to be a purely humorous adventure like Monsters Inc. or some quirky twist on popular media like The Indcredibles... but it looks heartfelt as is typical for Pixar films.

The twist here, in this film, is that it follows a well worn trope in fairytales (the impromptu hero) but giving the role to a wiry young girl rather then the confidence lacking boy. Disney would have just made her another princess for the protagonist/male hero to hound after and progress the plot.

Also, Billy Connelly is in it.

To be honest, I'm less than enthusiastic about Brave, I expect it to be a good quality film, but it almost seems as if it will be more of a Dreamworks calibre production. I've been really concerned about Pixar for a while now. Toy Story 3 was up to par for Pixar's standards, but Cars 2 fell drastically below expectations, I expected them to at least break even on the reviews with that one.

With the announcement for a much heavier focus on sequels, it can't bode very well. Monsters University seems like a terrible idea, I mean, what are we to gain from a prequel?

Hazy992:
Brave is probably the first Pixar movie I'm not even remotely interested in, even less so than Cars 2. I don't what it is about it, it just doesn't look the slightest bit interesting to me.

Cause its simplistic premise, a girl who wants to be unladylike and is good at something considered manly*gasp*

Mulan was the same but it was better about it and gave a nod to asian culture.

I thought Up was bad, cars 2 mediocre, toy story 3 okay but unneeded.

"Up" didn't have a joke tying it together. Unless it was "What if an old man decided to travel to South America by tying a shit-ton of balloons to his house, and accidentally abducted a boy scout, and together they had a crazy adventure with a talking dog?"

Which is kind of a stretch. The point is, not all Pixar movies follow your format.

This is the first Pixar movie I feel really unenthusiastic about after the underwhelming trailer (especially the bit where the maid runs into a wall, which I assume was meant to be funny but was just kind of met with awkward silence when I saw it in the cinema). It just seems from the trailer like the creative wit that Pixar usually implements into their films is being turned into a generic fairy tale with a pretty standard heroine that is being set up as this fiery, breath of fresh air look-I'm-a-strong-female-character-too kind of schtick. Not that I have a problem with that, it's good to have that sort of role model for little girls, but I just think that writers could use other methods to define strong female characters other than just crow-barring them into a traditional masculine role and sitting back.

But to be totally fair, I'm just going on the trailer here, so I'll reserve judgement until I've actually seen the thing.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
"Up" didn't have a joke tying it together. Unless it was "What if an old man decided to travel to South America by tying a shit-ton of balloons to his house, and accidentally abducted a boy scout, and together they had a crazy adventure with a talking dog?"

Up is in the running for the saddest piece of entertainment I've ever seen. It's pretty much between that and Grave of the Fireflies.

Also, Brave is gonna be awesome.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked