So... the Nazis.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I have my History GCSE exam on Tuesday, and it's on Germany from 1918-1945. I'd like to sneak in some interesting facts that we haven't been taught in class, just to be a smartass. So, has anyone got any interesting facts about the Nazis (as you may be able to guess, they feature rather prominently under that heading). In fact, anything interesting about the topic at all would do for me. I'll soon see how quirky I can make my essay...

They were dicks.

Depends what kind of stuff you want to know...

1) More atrocities of the vague sort?
2) Repentent Nazis (yes, they existed)...
3) SS dissenters
4) Laconia Order
5) Fashion
6) Military ideology vs social ideology and the conflict therein

*shrug* Pick one...

SckizoBoy:
Depends what kind of stuff you want to know...

1) More atrocities of the vague sort?
2) Repentent Nazis (yes, they existed)...
3) SS dissenters
4) Laconia Order
5) Fashion
6) Military ideology vs social ideology and the conflict therein

*shrug* Pick one...

The most interesting one.

EDIT: Actually, atrocities they commited before the war would be good, stuff like the extermination of disabled people in the mental hospitals etc.

OhJohnNo:
They were dicks.

I'll try and include that, but there's not much scope for it to be honest...

The Nazis were actually the first people to ban smoking in public places, such as hospitals.

They knew the health dangers of smoking.

Look up Josef Mengele - he's a cool dude. I think they don't reach him in class.

DoPo:
Look up Josef Mengele - he's a cool dude. I think they don't reach him in class.

Oh, we covered him a bit, but I did some extra research, the guy was a genius! Who else would have considered attaching eyes to the back of your head to see what's behind you? Brilliant!

Daystar Clarion:
The Nazis were actually the first people to ban smoking in public places, such as hospitals.

That really is interesting, I'll definitely include that if there are any questions about Nazi culture.

theparsonski:
The most interesting one.

EDIT: Actually, atrocities they commited before the war would be good, stuff like the extermination of disabled people in the mental hospitals etc.

Actually, to be honest, I don't know too much of what the vague fucked-upness went on, beyond the eugenics programs. Though I think the Japanese were a lot worse in this respect.

Anyway, I'll briefly wax lyrical about Wilhelm Bittrich. Probably the most vocal of the dissenting voices towards the end of the war who managed to survive not so much Allied efforts to defeat him but the Nazi Party's efforts to bring him in to trial. He used every trick in the book to prevent his own return to Berlin where he knew (from July 1944 onwards as by this time he had made clear his disgust with OKW) he'd be promptly arrested. He was an ardent Nazi, but only from a military perspective, and despised the cultural/racial ideology under the belief that it would demean the military establishment.

Testimony from Albert Speer proved Bittrich held contempt for party functionaries, upon finding out that a group had executed captured British paras during/after the Battle of Arnhem, he was beside himself with fury, especially after he had sanctioned a ceasefire between his own chief medical officer and Colonel Walker of 1st British Para Div. However, he was powerless to apprehend the party functionaries, who promptly made themselves scarce, because Walter Harzer (whose men had been appropriated for the execution, but whether or not they actually carried it out, I don't know) was similarly pissed off, and even less forgiving than his corps commander.

A similar incident concerns the execution of French Resistance operatives by troops under his command. What the prosecution at his post-war trial conveniently left out was that he instantly opened an inquiry (he didn't have the jurisdiction to start a court-martial) into it and would've completed proceedings against the culprits were it not for the meddling of the Gestapo.

One of a kind, Bittrich... though I'm sure people will contrive reasons to villify him nonetheless... *shrug*

Hitler's the only one that looks relatively normal; the rest look like they're evil, crazy, or both.

Daystar Clarion:

Nazis - saving lives since 1939.

theparsonski:
Oh, we covered him a bit, but I did some extra research, the guy was a genius! Who else would have considered attaching eyes to the back of your head to see what's behind you? Brilliant!

Huh, didn't know he was in school textbooks. Well, he was an angel, wasn't he. Well another thing you can include is this Cracked article. You should get some fun facts out of it, I think.

Daystar Clarion:

I say we start allowing smoking in public places. We don't want to be like the Nazis now, do we?

Well, they didn't like Jewish people.... In fact, I believe for a fact, based on documents and recorded events, that they actually despised the Jewish people, and sent them to their deaths in specialized containment facilities hidden from the eyes of civilization...

Fanta was invented by the Coca-cola company for sale in wartime Germany. It is my choice of fizzy orange drink for that reason.

Deathleaper:

Daystar Clarion:

I say we start allowing smoking in public places. We don't want to be like the Nazis now, do we?

Yeah, exactly. Fight the right wing! Let's show those nazis for real by allowing smoking EVERYWHERE!

:P

Hitler helped design the Volkswagon Beetle!

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi uniforms!

The Weimar Republic had the weirdest propaganda cartoons ever!

And here's a translation of an actual Nazi propaganda pamplet from the greasy hands of Goebbels himself: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/haken32.htm (It's still a better read than Twilight.)

They introduced the first laws against animal cruelty.

theparsonski:
So, has anyone got any interesting facts about the Nazis

Nazis (and Hitler himself) were awed by Tibetan culture and they mantained good relationship with those people.

From less important facts :
Contrary to common knowledge Nazis were actually Germans, not the Poles and their Death Camps were only built in Poland.

Hero in a half shell:
Hitler helped design the Volkswagon Beetle!

Hugo Boss designed the Nazi uniforms!

The Weimar Republic had the weirdest propaganda cartoons ever!

And here's a translation of an actual Nazi propaganda pamplet from the greasy hands of Goebbels himself: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/haken32.htm (It's still a better read than Twilight.)

Wow. I get the meaning but that's still fucking surreal.

I'm pretty sure I read something about Nazis making the first 3D movies.

SHAZAM! http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2011/feb/16/nazi-3d-films-discovered it would appear I am correct.

You could include Hitler's obsession with mythical and religious artefacts. Or their exploration of "UFO" technology. Mostly speculation and rumours there, though it does make for interesting reading.

The Nazi party conducted a purge of its more 'extreme' elements (some were simply opposed to Hitler but some were really out there politics wise.) This event occurred in 1934 became known as 'Night of the Long Knives.'

you can talk about how they manipulated the democratic system in germany to legitmately be the ruling party, why is this interesting because alot of people think they just showed up and did a military coup or something along those lines.

or talk about how the government was pretty much a power struggle within the government between top nazis in the party and how hitler just sat back and watched due to him believing in survival of the fittest to the point that he let it infect the government itself

The second atomic bomb made by the Us was made with German plutonium.

At the time, only Germany could make plutonium. But they realised that they couldn't make a nuclear weapon in time. They sent the plutonium to the Japanese so they use it to make a nuclear weapon and use it against the US. But WWII ended before the plutonium reached Japan. The Nazi in the submarine carrying the plutonium surrendered to the Americans because they weren't that big a bunch of dicks. The Japanese scientist Hara-Kiried themselves in the sub. and the american used the German plutonium to nuke Japan a second time !

God bless america.

Hitler was a big fan of mickey mouse and walt disney's stuff in general .

Hitler had only one testicle.

The nazis were quite obssesed with health and hygiene. It was part of their ideology of purity and "cleaning up" their country.
Hitler also considered himself an artist rather then a politician and during his rise to power he persecuted what he called "depraved" arts like german expressionism.

Hitler was very much a pro animal rights activist. He loved his doggie. As a result the Nazi empire was the first to ban vivisection. Before then it was common practice.

idarkphoenixi:
Hitler was very much a pro animal rights activist. He loved his doggie. As a result the Nazi empire was the first to ban vivisection. Before then it was common practice.

Also, all of the live medical experiments you may have heard of, horrible as they were, actually did lead to some useful information that even we took advantage of (such as how to treat hypothermia after patients were almost drowned in icy waters).

Funny they seemed to care more about animals then human rights XD

theparsonski:
I have my History GCSE exam on Tuesday, and it's on Germany from 1918-1945. I'd like to sneak in some interesting facts that we haven't been taught in class, just to be a smartass. So, has anyone got any interesting facts about the Nazis (as you may be able to guess, they feature rather prominently under that heading). In fact, anything interesting about the topic at all would do for me. I'll soon see how quirky I can make my essay...

You would probably find this site quite intriguing come to think of it. http://listverse.com/2011/01/31/top-10-things-the-nazis-got-right/

The role that bread had in starting the whole conflict is interesting.

How about how Hitler was Time's person of the year in 1938 or how the Pope at the time endorsed Hitler.

It would be interesting to analyze the different pressures behind Time magazine and the Pope at that time, and why they made their decisions.

One thing high schools typically teach is the idea that there were the Nazis and then there was the Wehrmacht. The Nazis ran the camps and performed the atrocities while the Wehrmacht did the fighting. In reality the Waffen SS was an elite military unit that went into battle with the Wehrmacht and the line where the atrocities of the SS begins and the Wehrmacht begins is very muddled. Plus you have the story of Reserve Police Battalion 101 which was chronicled in a book called Ordinary Men. Basically it is about this rear echelon unit that performed atrocities across Poland.

If you want more quirky stuff there is the story of Rudolf Hess who was second in line to Hitler, until he had a nervous breakdown, parachuted into England, and tried to get into contact with the Duke of Hamilton in order to try and keep the UK out of the war.

For the more crazy, Hanna Reitsch was one of the greatest female pilots ever and still holds several aviation records to this day. She is also the founding member of the SS-Selbstopferkommando Leonidas which was a German suicide squadron like the Kamikaze. The idea was later scraped (apparently the idea was too crazy even for Hitler).

The day before Hitler was killed Goebbels was reading a book on the 7 Year's War to him and when he got to the part about the miracle of the House of Brandenburg (the Czarina of Russia died and her son made a peace deal as the Russians were about to take Berlin) Hitler started crying and wondered out loud whether that would happen again.

If you get more specific I can add more.

Edit to add: my homework for the weekend included watching some WW2 propaganda. Unfortunately I could not find any of the German ones on youtube but here are two of the American ones I saw-

The Nazi's had a system of WŁnder weapons they were working on thigh ranged from the atomic bomb, V2 rockets, and even a plan to create zombies. Other interesting facts you should include are the 1932 Olympics and how the Jews were treated better and Hitler's hatred if a non Aryan won a a medal.
Edit: Iforgot to mention that under Hitler's plan to exterminate the mentally insane his own niece was one of the victims. Hitler was also so paranoid about assassination that his own personal train had two triple-A anti aircraft guns to defend against arial assault.

From what I've heard, Adolf Hitler was into painting. He wasn't very successful when he tried to make it into a career however.

Darren716:
The Nazi's had a system of WŁnder weapons they were working on thigh ranged from the atomic bomb, V2 rockets, and even a plan to create zombies. Other interesting facts you should include are the 1932 Olympics and how the Jews were treated better and Hitler's hatred if a non Aryan won a a medal.
Edit: Iforgot to mention that under Hitler's plan to exterminate the mentally insane his own niece was one of the victims. Hitler was also so paranoid about assassination that his own personal train had two triple-A anti aircraft guns to defend against arial assault.

The Nazi wonder weapons, as a rule, were rubbish. Most of them could never work, and those that did tended to be less impressive than ordinary stuff. There were exceptions, like the Stg 44 assault rifle, though.

In regards to the Olympics, the US complained about German racism towards Jews, and the German reply tended to be along the lines of "We don't tell you how to treat your negroes, don't tell us how to treat our Jews".

A lot of black US athletes went to the games, but were treated badly when they got back home by their own government, not the Germans so much.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked