Rumor: Disney to re-release the Avengers with deleted footage

http://www.superheroauthority.com/2012/06/marvel-and-disney-rumored-to-be.html

The director has said there's about 35 minutes of footage that was cut from the movie. I hope most of it is just extended footage of the hulk beating up loki.

Saucycarpdog:

The director has said there's about 35 minutes of footage that was cut from the movie. I hope most of it is just extended footage of the hulk beating up loki.

Unlikely. Special effects cost a lot of money so all effect heavy scenes are likely included in the film.

Best case scenario it's 20 minutes of tony stark making jokes.

Prince Regent:

Unlikely. Special effects cost a lot of money so all effect heavy scenes are likely included in the film.

That's not how film editing works. It's clear that many fighting scenes are cut from the film.

It had better include the Shawarma scene. I had to watch it in crappy quality on Youtube.

I think it will be far more likely to see that footage released on Bluray/DVD as part of the standard film. I think I have an X Men DVD that did that.

If they released it to theaters it'd only show as a thinly veiled attempt to pass Avatar and Titanic to be the number 1 grossing movie of all time. I'm guessing it'd probably just be an extended cut for the blu-ray or dvd. My hopes is that it will have something that'll make the portion before they're assembled flow a little better.

Prince Regent:

Saucycarpdog:

Hmm... 20 minute of Tony Stark making jokes DOES sound appealing.

Anyways, I've already seen this 3 times in theaters. I dunno, if the extra half-hour is REALLY good, I'll consider it.

Is it going to be before Summer ends? If yes, why? It already made a billion world wide. That seems kind of indulgent to me.

If it's going to be around Winter, then maybe.

Either way I'm only getting one copy of the DVD. I'm not going to support a LotR box set situation where the latest iterations has 20 hours of bonus content, everything short of Peter Jackson reading the damn script for you.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the majority of content cut from the theatrical release was Captain America trying to adjust to modern life. But I could be wrong of course.

Like everyone else, I'd be reluctant to see an extended cut at the cinema, but I reckon it'll be released when the film comes out on DVD and blu-ray, so I can wait for that.

Dahaka27:
I think it will be far more likely to see that footage released on Bluray/DVD as part of the standard film. I think I have an X Men DVD that did that.

I myself would love having the "Extended Cut Blu-ray/DVD/Digital" set myself. Maybe have it in big shiny packaging...

(wipes slobber from mouth)

b3nn3tt:
I'm sure I read somewhere that the majority of content cut from the theatrical release was Captain America trying to adjust to modern life. But I could be wrong of course.

I was a bit confused in the theater that Captain America was already pretty much used to everything even though it seemed that he just arrived...

It would be nice to see Whedon have his fun with that idea.

The moment the words 'A Hollywood source responded' I switched off. I doubt the rumour'll be true.

Besides if it is true, I'll pass on it. I'll just wait until DVD. because quite frankly, unless the 35 minutes actually does something that really makes peoples jaws drop, it really isn't going to get that many people to go see it.

I'd like to go see Avengers again anyway so I'd hold out for a Directors Cut.

They announced the DVD/Blu-Ray features last month. I presume it's the same deleted scenes that would be in a Directors Cut.
DELETED SCENES
- Alternate Opening - Maria Hill Interrogation
- Extended Scene - Loki & Barton Strategize
- Steve Rogers - Man Out of Time
- Nick Fury & World Security Council
- Extended Viaduct Fight - Raw Footage
- Fury & Hill Discuss the World Security Council
- Extended Scene - Banner and Security Guard
- Alternate Ending - Maria Hill Interrogation

http://www.superheroauthority.com/2012/05/avengers-dvd-and-blu-ray-release.html

The extended scene between Banner and the security guard reportedly gives more explanation as to why and how Banner has complete control of the Hulk at the end of the film.

Whedon already said something about a scene with Steve and Peggy (now that she's old). They had to scrap it because it was slowing down the action.

Would love to see scenes like that, so yes, shut up and take my money!

Edit: I guess the scene I mentioned is the "Man out of time" scene.

Prince Regent:

Dont want to get reported here: Yeh I'll buy it, film was great and more of great = double great... or something of that nature.

It was a pretty long film anyway from what I remember, I don't see why they need to add on all this extended stuff for general release, especially this soon. Then again, I suppose someone might enjoy it - I certainly won't.

I'd like to see it on DVD, but it would be pointless to re-release it in theaters. The DVD will be a day 1 buy if it has an extended cut.

Ugh, just another way to grab money for an already meh movie.

ive heard they cut much more than 30 min more like an hour or so! man id love to see that whole thing!

I'll gladly buy this on DVD. It's too soon after its initial release to pull such a blatant cash grab by putting it in theatres again. And no, that's not my endorsement to wait a decade to release it in theatres as a special 10th anniversary edition.

It seen to be greedy (well not suprising that they want to take more of our money) to release it on theater again.
At least with Avatar they waited for a year to release the director cut but Marvel film seen to be release on a yearly basis most of the time (I mean it will be werid to have Avengers director cut and with a different Marvel film).
I'm find if this was a DVD but not too much as release it on cinema again.

Just slip in an extended edition, like The Lord of the Rings.

Captcha: "Easy as Cake"!

Yes, and, maybe get back to that Avengers tie-in game that was canceled?

Saucycarpdog:

I would pay to see a full movie that was just Hulk beating up Loki

CynicalB:

Prince Regent:

That's not how film editing works. It's clear that many fighting scenes are cut from the film.

As a general rule, effects heavy sequences are cut before lots of money is spent on the effect. They might have cut out fighting scenes but they likely did that before they added in the gobs of CGI that would likely be present.

Thus, if they are going to add in new scenes, it stands to reason that most action sequences that were cut probably would not make it in unless they made heavy use of practical effects in place of digital. Watching a clip of Thor fighting a stuntman in a mocap suit probably would detract from the film as a whole. So, it would seem reasonable to assume that most of what they add does not rely on significant special effects unless they spent millions adding those effects for the new release.

Which is admittedly possible given the success of the film.

Dangit2019:

b3nn3tt:

I was a bit confused in the theater that Captain America was already pretty much used to everything even though it seemed that he just arrived...

It would be nice to see Whedon have his fun with that idea.

The way I read it on IMDB, it would have been Capt. America trying to find Ms. Carter

and that excites me. I just watched the movie, and it was...alright, but I would pay money to see an extended cut if it fleshed out Capt. America more and was less fighting. The fighting was okay, but it was a bit dragged out for me. Otherwise, it was pretty good.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked