Anyone else think Marvel heroes are just 'more fun' than DC heroes?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

DVS BSTrD:
Marvel superheros don't need villains to make them interesting, and they're written as full people outside of their 'hero' persona.

Also much more interesting dynamic: Batman Needs his feud with the Joker to give him purpose. Professor Xavier can still be Professor Xavier with Magneto and Magneto is more to Xavier than main opponent.

I'd agree with this mostly. The Joker may play a huge role in Batman's story, but he has more villains than I can count. For me, Batman is the only DC hero that can stand up to Marvel.

Raddra:

Jack the Potato:

The rest of the X-men bug me still. Superheros mistrusted by the world for their gifts is a good story... ARC. It's NOT a premise that lasts decades! Yet I don't think I've ever heard of them resolving this (sure they make progress, but there's ALWAYS setbacks!), and they also never stop talking about it! The X-men have had GREAT story arcs in the past, but the overarching theme sucks!

The overarcing theme behind the anti mutant hate is rascism. Seriously. That's not an issue that has been resolved to date in the real world. This isn't something that can easily be resolved in a small period of time and there is always setbacks.

Hence why the M day 'no more mutants' thing was so ridiculous. 'No more (insert ethnic/religious group)' Its just so terribly bad when you look at the theme behind the X-Men / Mutants in setting.

If you want a comic that deals with racism, make a comic that deals with racism. I'm pretty sure race doesn't equate to FREAKING SUPER POWERS. I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in your assumption at all, and frankly if that's truly what the X-men are about I actually hate them more now.

geK0:

him over there:
Green Lantern is pretty cool, but only because the new cartoon incorporated the red lanterns as the antagonists and the first ever blue lantern showed up to help defeat them. Marvel is far more fun on the whole though. The thing about the avengers though is that they're pretty much a dude bro fraternity except with a lot more heart, the justice league is a fucking computing office by comparison.

Bro fraternity? Avengers? Brovengers?

OMG that's a great thing that I, geK0, had just made up on the spot! that is my thing now, the Brovengers!

Man, you are laaaaaaaaaate to the party. Either you don't know, or you are joking.

OT: Marvel > DC.

They just are.

Dryk:

SaneAmongInsane:

I don't really like Iron Man because, judging off the movies, the character seems to have no essential sadness or dread. He just seems like a rich cocky jerk that plays hero cause it's fun, which yeah is awesome in it's own right but... *shrug* I know he has some sort of drinking problem, I'd like to see have a whole movie where he's like Hancock. Saving people but being a total drunk dick about it.

Tony Stark's sadness is supposed to come from the fact that he's been building incredibly advanced weapons and gadgets which have been falling into the wrong hands for years. He feels responsible for the deaths of thousands of people he thought he'd been protecting. He just hides it well most of the time.

It resonates with me pretty well, but I'm doing physics/engineering degrees so the question of whether a creator should feel responsible for misuse of his creation is something I may have to deal with at some point.

....Eh....

Murdered Parents vs Creating weapons that fall into the wrong hands.

Ones not better then the other, but I can relate more to Batman.

The DC heroes tend to have a more "godly" feel to them. Even Batman, who has zero powers, is still ridiculously powerful, even if he can't land a punch as hard as the others. However, that doesn't mean they're all uninteresting. Batman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter are all interesting, but the rest of the league feel like cardboard cutouts. The most egregious of which being Superman. He's morally incorruptible, has very few weaknesses, and has a vast number of powers. There's also the fact that he and Wonder Woman fight extremely similarly.

A proper JLA movie would need to make Superman more vulnerable and distinct from Wonder Woman, as well as make the rest of the cast more relatable, for it to work.

Jack the Potato:

Raddra:

Jack the Potato:

The rest of the X-men bug me still. Superheros mistrusted by the world for their gifts is a good story... ARC. It's NOT a premise that lasts decades! Yet I don't think I've ever heard of them resolving this (sure they make progress, but there's ALWAYS setbacks!), and they also never stop talking about it! The X-men have had GREAT story arcs in the past, but the overarching theme sucks!

The overarcing theme behind the anti mutant hate is rascism. Seriously. That's not an issue that has been resolved to date in the real world. This isn't something that can easily be resolved in a small period of time and there is always setbacks.

Hence why the M day 'no more mutants' thing was so ridiculous. 'No more (insert ethnic/religious group)' Its just so terribly bad when you look at the theme behind the X-Men / Mutants in setting.

If you want a comic that deals with racism, make a comic that deals with racism. I'm pretty sure race doesn't equate to FREAKING SUPER POWERS. I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in your assumption at all, and frankly if that's truly what the X-men are about I actually hate them more now.

Mutants are a group of individuals who are different to "normal" members of society, who are discriminated against due to their differences.

How is that NOT racism?

I'm more of a Marvel kinda kid than a DC kid because almost all of the DC characters don't appeal to me at all, and honestly the only DC character I like is Batman and the rest I seriously couldn't careless about them.

The Justice League is a bit silly and the Wonder Twins don't do that area any favors.

The Marvel characters are just more relatable to me than the DC ones, and, in my opinion, characters like Wonder Woman and the like seem to be bigger than they actually are and it's kind of off putting.

Supertegwyn:

Jack the Potato:

Raddra:

Mutants are a group of individuals who are different to "normal" members of society, who are discriminated against due to their differences.

How is that NOT racism?

Because racists believe the other races are inferior based on totally superficial qualities.

The people in X-men discriminate against the X-men because they are afraid of their power, which is very very real. I sure as hell wouldn't want to trust somebody who could explode my brain with a thought or destroy my house just by opening his eyes! Racists can tell me their reasoning all they want and it will never make sense. Someone from X-men could tell me "I don't trust those mutants!" and I'd say "Yea, that makes sense! Especially since some of them actually DO shit like that!"

The mutants are different from regular people for very real, and very specific reasons! Ergo, it's NOT racism!

DVS BSTrD:
Magneto is more to Xavier than main opponent.

Can I get an "amen" from the shippers in the house?

Moving on, the DC characters do seem OP to me. I need to read some DC comics, to see how they handle that.

Jack the Potato:

Because racists believe the other races are inferior based on totally superficial qualities.

The people in X-men discriminate against the X-men because they are afraid of their power, which is very very real. I sure as hell wouldn't want to trust somebody who could explode my brain with a thought or destroy my house just by opening his eyes! Racists can tell me their reasoning all they want and it will never make sense. Someone from X-men could tell me "I don't trust those mutants!" and I'd say "Yea, that makes sense! Especially since some of them actually DO shit like that!"

The mutants are different from regular people for very real, and very specific reasons! Ergo, it's NOT racism!

I find it weird that Marvel Universe people react to mutants as "they're different and dangerous, therefore I should be a jerk to them!" If I met a guy who could throw fireballs, my reaction would be "get on this guy's good books." I mean, I'd rather not he shoot fireballs at me, ya know?

Daystar Clarion:
Okay, I caught the Avengers yesterday, fucking brilliant movie, and it got me to thinking.

I don't think the movie would have been nearly as good if it was the Justice League instead.

My reasoning behind this is that I just think DC heroes are too overpowered.

Batman and Aquaman are pretty much the only characters in the JL I don't consider OP, but even then, Batman has stupid amounts of plot armour and Aquaman is...

Well, he's Aquaman :D

I mean I understand the love for Batman, but who really likes Batman, and not just the guys he has to deal with?

Tony Stark in an infinitely more interesting and likable character than Bruce Wayne ever was.

Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, these guys are practically unstoppable except when convenient plot devices are written in to limit them (you know, like how every man and his dog has a chunk of kryptonite?)

All just my opinion of course, feel free to tell me why you like DC more than Marvel.

Well frankly, when it comes to current DC and Marvel 'verses, it goes like this:

Movies - DC fails, save for Batman, whereas Marvel has been knocking 'em out of the park lately.

TV - DC excels amazingly in this regard whereas Marvel has been churning out utter shit.

Comics - The two are basically equal. Despite what some fan-boys will say (whine). Though one could argue that DC's latest reset has generated much better stories than Marvel's been putting out. But, that's debatable.

As for your other points, I would counter that much of the Avengers crew are just as equally "OP" as any in the Justice League.

The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America....yeah, pretty much unstoppable forces. No different than Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter.

As for me, I actually DO like Batman/Bruce Wayne. At least, in some of the Batman story lines. Granted, a good chunk of my love of the Bat-verse comes from the rogues gallery of villains but I do like Bruce's character. Certainly more than Tony Starks. (namely the film version)

As much as I like Robert Downey Jr the actor, I actually really dislike his portrayal of Tony Stark. Not because it's "unfaithful to the source material" or some such nonsense but rather because I just find his characters personality to be....abrasive. As in, if I met him in real life I'd be hard pressed to NOT want to punch him in the face.

(yes, I can't stand overt levels of arrogance)

Daystar Clarion:

I mean I understand the love for Batman, but who really likes Batman, and not just the guys he has to deal with?

Tony Stark in an infinitely more interesting and likable character than Bruce Wayne ever was.

Indeed.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-ways-iron-man-objectively-better-than-batman/

I would have to say the main problem with DC is escalation. In a story about a person who fights other people you have to keep throwing tougher and tougher opponents at your protagonist or a reader won't feel invested in the events. DC screwed up because they started with Superman, who is basically a god, no actually Thor would probably be beaten like a rug by Superman so he is actually like a god of gods.

Then you have to throw enemies at him, anyone + kryptonite worked for a while but because Superman kept fighting through the weakening effects kryptonite became a joke. So with that out of the picture you have to throw in enemies who can actually give Superman a challenge in a fistfight. Here is a quick list: General Zod, Bizarro, Superboy-Prime, Cyborg Superman, Black Adam(not racist), and Doomsday. That was off the top of my head, six godly-gods bent on world domination and only Superman has the power to stop them...

...Then more Super-people appeared. Supergirl, Superboy, Superwoman, Superdog, alternate dimension versions of those characters(that is where Powergirl and Superboy-Prime came from)...

Then add in the characters who have the exact same power set as Superman: Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr....

And then give each of those characters enemies who can match them and you have yourself a small army of super-gods battling each other.

Bonus: Imagine if Superman had to battle an enemy with the same powers he has but the enemy also has a power ring like Green Lanterns... now imagine there were two enemies like that.
IT HAPPENED

ultrachicken:
The DC heroes tend to have a more "godly" feel to them. Even Batman, who has zero powers, is still ridiculously powerful, even if he can't land a punch as hard as the others. However, that doesn't mean they're all uninteresting. Batman, Flash, and Martian Manhunter are all interesting, but the rest of the league feel like cardboard cutouts. The most egregious of which being Superman. He's morally incorruptible, has very few weaknesses, and has a vast number of powers. There's also the fact that he and Wonder Woman fight extremely similarly.

A proper JLA movie would need to make Superman more vulnerable and distinct from Wonder Woman, as well as make the rest of the cast more relatable, for it to work.

This is why I hope, should DC ever get around to it, they go the classic Superman route. By that I mean the way he was portrayed in the original stories.

He couldn't fly, he wasn't completely invulnerable, and had other weaknesses. He was basically just a normal looking guy who could run very fast, jump very high, and was very very strong. (think The Hulk only smaller and not so green) It wasn't until much later that they started giving him other abilities like flight, laser eyes, etc, etc.

I keep hoping that's the direction the new Supes movie goes; the one being directed by Zach Snyder. I know, I know. Probably TOO much to hope for, given the mans pedigree. And even if it did go in that direction, it's not likely to be 'great'.

Though, I've heard Nolan is stepping in as one of the producers, so maybe there is hope after all.

Daystar Clarion:

I don't want to be the guy to tell you this, but you're pretty much the only person who likes Metalocalypse.

Shenanigans! Shenanigans I say!

burningdragoon:

Look Daystar, you seem like a cool fellow and all, but you couldn't be more incorrect about that. There's at least two of us.

Make that three.

Vigormortis:
As for your other points, I would counter that much of the Avengers crew are just as equally "OP" as any in the Justice League.

The Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America....yeah, pretty much unstoppable forces. No different than Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter.

Just looking at powers as shown in movies(mostly):

Superman can lift a large island out of the sea, I don't think even Hulk can match that. Ironman has been shot up by lightning bolts and the guns on fighter jets, Superman's eye reflects bullets. Thor, maybe, haven't seen him WITH his powers against conventional weaponry, though in the comics his homeworld(with all its godly residents) does get invaded by HAMMER(replaced SHIELD), the military group filled with humans. Captain America has an impenetrable shield and the body of an olympic athlete, if a shot gets around his shield(or he is shot after he throws it) then he can die, Superman can't even be killed as easily as a human because he goes into healing comas when he is beaten nearly to death(comics again).

Wonder Woman and Green Lantern are not nearly that bad, but then consider GL is just a ring, and there is an ARMY of them out there.

SaneAmongInsane:
I'm a DC guy, and I like Batman. I think someone said on this forum that Batman is like the child fantasy because he's the human that has everything... and well thats true, theres a very dark immature emo side that can really relate to the neurotic and paranoid guy that feels he has to take his aggressions out on purse snatchers.

Plus Batman is a detective, and I like crime novels. My favorite Batman stories are the ones where he's going up against regular twobit crooks or the mafia because those are the ones that are the most realistic.

This actually reminds me of something we see every time a new writer starts a Batman run, they'll say, "I want to get back to him being a detective." Three issues later he's usually wading his way through goons like nothing happened, and the detective angle is long forgotten, again.

This isn't a universal thing, The Long Halloween comes to mind as an exception. But, for interesting Batman stuff it's really hit or miss.

SaneAmongInsane:
I like Superman too, and anything involving those two working with the other members of the justice league. I also here more story archs from DC that plain get me interested, like I still want to read the Superboy Prime arch because he sounds like such an awesome villian.... Like he's fucking Eric Harris with Superman powers going around killing fuckers.

Superman... honestly, it's pretty rare for me to care about him. When you start digging in and getting at philosophy of what does it mean to have this kind of power, like with Kingdom Come, I sit up and take notice, or when it turns the character concept around, as with Red Son. The rest of the time, I have a hard time seeing anything interesting going on there.

SaneAmongInsane:
Marvel... I have a hard time getting into, but some of their heroes interest me. Ghost Rider, I like. Spiderman. Wolverine. But it kind of ends there.... Oh and Machine Man!!!! I've only had a few comics with him in it, but I'd love to see more of this sociopath drunk guy that works with Ms. Marvel.

I don't really like Iron Man because, judging off the movies, the character seems to have no essential sadness or dread. He just seems like a rich cocky jerk that plays hero cause it's fun, which yeah is awesome in it's own right but... *shrug* I know he has some sort of drinking problem, I'd like to see have a whole movie where he's like Hancock. Saving people but being a total drunk dick about it.

Iron Man started out as a fairly straight forward guy who fights crime in a super suit. The alcoholism came around in the 80s when Marvel was reworking their characters after Frank Miller's run on Daredevil. To an extent that leaves us with a character who doesn't make a lot of sense, he fights crime in the suit because he thinks it's the right thing to do, but is also really self destructive.

Ultimate Tony Stark was terminally ill (brain tumor), so the crime fighting was a way of making his life mean something. Normal one (and the film version) had a bit of shrapnel wedged near his heart, now that's been gone for years in the main setting, but for a long time it was he fights crime because he's going to die and needs to do something meaningful. The difference of course is that Tony Stark, unlike Bruce Wayne, isn't a facade, he really is a narcissistic jackass, and remains a narcissistic jackass while he's trying to do good. The main continuity version has moved a bit beyond that, but that's what you've got.

SaneAmongInsane:
Plus with Marvel I just don't understand how things work. Like okay, people hate mutants... but Captain America is okay? How the fuck do Thor and Ghost Rider coexist (unless that alien bullshit from the movie counts too?).

Well, Captain America's fine because he's not a mutant, he's a freakin' icon from the Second World War, who's still alive and kicking because of a super-soldier project. He predates the mutant issues by twenty to forty years, and had an established place long before they came along. For that matter, Nick Fury is the same way in the main setting, he's been kicking around as long as Cap, and because of nearly the same treatments.

You have non-mutants like Spiderman who get lumped in with the mutants pretty regularly.

As for Ghost Rider and Thor? Because. Really. There are a lot of different pantheons in Marvel, including a somewhat overtly Abrahamic one. Thor is from one of those, Ghost Rider was kicked out of the hell of another. There are aliens loose in the setting, btw, but Thor isn't one of them. Silver Surfer, and Captain Mar'vell on the other hand...

Shadowkire:
DC screwed up because they started with Superman, who is basically a god, no actually Thor would probably be beaten like a rug by Superman so he is actually like a god of gods.

Check me on this, but Thor's Hammer is explicitly magical in Marvel. DC has established a couple times that Superman doesn't have a resistance to magic. Or at least, there was a time-frame when he didn't and it was an established weakness.

On the other hand, Superman's powers run exclusively on schizologic, so it's not like it really matters.

Hate me all you want, but Marvel and DC Comic Books: have been, and always will be, just a joke on the Geek culture.

Trust me, we are still laughing at you.

Spread yourself in another filth/lame-ass diatribe, and you'll get no more sympathy than the Church as far as I'm concerned.

Lame shit is still lame, the Hollywood movies reminded me of that. (So do the people posting in this thread, lol)

Sure there might be one or two comics that can be held up... I haven't seen nor heard about them, but I'm sure people think they exist. I haven't seen them brought up tho.

Vault101:
never gotten into mainstream super-heros

now.."The Boys" is what you might call a..."fun" look at super heros

hehehehehehehe....

I love The Boys, The Female is made of pure awesome.

Vigormortis:

burningdragoon:

Look Daystar, you seem like a cool fellow and all, but you couldn't be more incorrect about that. There's at least two of us.

Make that three.

Four!

its much better than a lot of adult swims other original programming.

Starke:

Shadowkire:
DC screwed up because they started with Superman, who is basically a god, no actually Thor would probably be beaten like a rug by Superman so he is actually like a god of gods.

Check me on this, but Thor's Hammer is explicitly magical in Marvel. DC has established a couple times that Superman doesn't have a resistance to magic. Or at least, there was a time-frame when he didn't and it was an established weakness.

On the other hand, Superman's powers run exclusively on schizologic, so it's not like it really matters.

Exactly, anytime I hear anyone say "but Superman has a weakness to...." I point to whichever example of Superman ignoring that weakness I feel will be best for the situation. Usually I use the scene from the last movie when Superman throws an island of kryptonite into space.

FelixG:

Vault101:

hehehehehehehe....

I havnt finished it yet

but I especially love the relationship between Frenchie and The Female, its kind of sweet...

they aren't just psychos there for a laugh, it shows that the way she is, is kind of tragic...

Shadowkire:

Starke:

Shadowkire:

Exactly, anytime I hear anyone say "but Superman has a weakness to...." I point to whichever example of Superman ignoring that weakness I feel will be best for the situation. Usually I use the scene from the last movie when Superman throws an island of kryptonite into space.

Like I said, schizologic. The character's superpowers have at one time or another literally included supergardening, supercooking, and I think, supercleaning.

Basically his powers and weaknesses are whatever the current writer thinks, dreams, remembers, or kinda thought would be neat during their bender last weekend. A fact I remembered after I'd finished up the original post, and before I pushed the "post" button.

DC has always been better...

Marvel might be more fun, but would you rather have/be more fun, or rather have/be more better?

This isn't really a choice.

This is the worst attempt an proper sentence structure that I have ever had the privilege of being apart of.

Thank you all!!!!

Batman wins.

Just sayin.

Vault101:

FelixG:

Vault101:

hehehehehehehe....

I havnt finished it yet

but I especially love the relationship between Frenchie and The Female, its kind of sweet...

they aren't just psychos there for a laugh, it shows that the way she is, is kind of tragic...

Man, it has been a long while since I bought some of those!

The last compilation I have is The Self-Preservation Society!

They have released 5 more sets since then ~.~ Man I need to get back to the comic shop.

Jack the Potato:

Raddra:

Jack the Potato:

It was what they were originally about back in the 1960s. At the time you couldn't just come out and say, "this is about race relations," so it ended up in the classic SciFi area of talking about an issue through an abstract scenario. It's not the only theme, pretty obviously, and some of it was just Stan Lee going nuts with a toybox of random weirdness, but the racism element was supposed to be a thing.

Sober Thal:

Marvel might be more fun, but would you rather have/be more fun, or rather have/be more better?

This is the worst attempt an proper sentence structure that I have ever had the privilege of being apart of.

Thank you all!!!!

Well I don't quite know what you mean by better in regards to DC, but considering comics are a form of entertainment and "fun" is entertaining it is valid to say Marvel is better.

Daystar Clarion:

Raddra:
Depends, DC DOES have awesome characters in it.

Wally West as the Flash (tell me you didn't love his character in the animated series)
Kyle Rayner Green lantern
Nightwing

etc. The problem with DC is they keep bringing back their Golden / Silver age boring personality-less super perfect characters due to some die hard fans who whine for decades.

That may very well be the reason :D

I mean, the new Captain America is a brilliant character, he isn't as patriotic as you'd think someone called Captain America would be.

He's just a guy who hates bullies :D

But I get the feeling that Golden Age Captain America was probably awfully patriotic.

Eesh, let's not get into that. At one point his shield was made of FREEDOMIUM and was completely impervious to "Communists, Gooks, Japs, Limeys, Negroes and Democrats".

We don't talk about Old Cap anymore.

In my opinion both Marvel and DC only have one super hero each worth mentioning, Spiderman and Batman. All others need not bother.

Shadowkire:

Sober Thal:

Thank you all!!!!

Well I don't quite know what you mean by better in regards to DC, but considering comics are a form of entertainment and "fun" is entertaining it is valid to say Marvel is better.

You know exactly what I mean.

You say otherwise.

I respect that.

Thanks.

You are now valid.

Daystar Clarion:
Okay, I caught the Avengers yesterday, fucking brilliant movie, and it got me to thinking.

I don't think the movie would have been nearly as good if it was the Justice League instead.

My reasoning behind this is that I just think DC heroes are too overpowered.

Batman and Aquaman are pretty much the only characters in the JL I don't consider OP, but even then, Batman has stupid amounts of plot armour and Aquaman is...

Well, he's Aquaman :D

Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, these guys are practically unstoppable except when convenient plot devices are written in to limit them (you know, like how every man and his dog has a chunk of kryptonite?)

All just my opinion of course, feel free to tell me why you like DC more than Marvel.

I agree with you that Marvel is more enjoyable as characters, though for a completely different reason. Put simply, DC characters are just so unrelatable. Their situations and problems are so removed from us that we can't truly sympathize with them or understand them. Marvel superheros are far more down to earth, and their situations and obstacles make far more sense within the context of the viewer. Let me show a few examples to illustrate my point.

Superman and Captain America
Both of these figurehead characters deal with the theme of loneliness. Kal'el is the last son of Krypton, the last vestige of a dead people, living on a new world for which he fights for. However sad and inspiring as that is though, it's an idea that's utterly alien to humans. We're surrounded by a veritable sea of our species, and the whole concept of "last of our kind" is something we just can't fully wrap our heads around because it has never happened to us. The full impact is lost. Steve Rogers on the other hand is a man out of his time. He lived most of his life on the same planet as he inhabits now, but during a different era. Now in the modern age that he's been forced to live in he feels out of place, like everything is bizarre and alien to him. He's off-balance, confused, and admittedly a little scared. Anyone who has moved to a new home or visited a different culture knows exactly how this feels like, and that's what makes his character to likeable. We know how he feels, so we're more inclined to root for and support him more, no matter how many people the Man of Steel has saved this day alone.

Green Lantern and the Hulk
These two powerhouses are arguably the two most combat capable characters of their respective universes. One is a man who's will can conjure anything he can imagine to defeat his foes, whilst the other is an unstoppable juggernaut who can take insane amounts of punishment, then dish is right back a thousandfold with a bellow of rage. Emotion is their staple characteristic, but while it's a strength with Green Lantern, it's a weakness to Bruce Banner. When Hal Jordan activates his ring he's always in control, because his will is what defines him (in fact if he couldn't control his will, his powers simply wouldn't work). But the Hulk is uncontrollable beast, and every time Bruce Banner changes into it, he's likely to cause more harm than good. The Hulk side of this equation represents the "darker" part of him, and as such us. Something that we either can't control, are embarassed (even ashamed) of, or even simply don't want to see in our lives. As such Banner's struggle to conquer the Hulk is much like our struggle to deal with our flaws and weaknesses. He's a tragic figure, one who we sympathize because he is just like us, even despite his turning into a giant green berserker who breaks planets like eggs.

Batman and Iron Man
These two are the mirror counterpart of each other. Both are incredibly intelligent individuals with obscenely large amounts of cash who use cutting edge technology to fight the darker elements in society. Weirdly in this case I should sympathize with Batman more because his story's defining moment (the death of his parents) is one that I know all to well. I lost my mother when I was 6 years old to a car accident, one that I too was a part of. I saw what was left of her body in the wreckage, and it has ever burned a mark on my psyche. I know more than most how utterly life-changing such an event can be, but the way Bruce Wayne reacted to the death of his parents seems so fairytale-like in it's surreality. He lives a white knight fantasy where he goes on a one-man crime fighting spree, never killing very clearly dangerous and destructive individuals because "he's not like them". As laudable as it is, the way he responds to his problems is simply jarring compared to what he has experienced. Tony Stark by comparison has a far less dramatic experience. He takes shrapnel to his heart, and builds a device (with attached power armour) to keep himself alive. However his reaction to this whole situation is by far a more relatable. Whenever he looks at himself in the mirror, every times he wears the Iron Man armour, he has to acknowledge that a tiny piece of metal is trying to dig it's way into his heart, and as such has to accept his mortality. This little revelation has manifested in him with reckless flings to insane ploys to the darkest pits of despair. And all of this has made him realize the mistakes he's made in his life, the thoughtless things he has done. So he fights not because of some ideal vision, but because he wants to try and fix some of the problems in the world, be it those made by others or the very ones he created himself. At some point, every person will deal with grief and mortality, and seeing that even the best of us have to deal with it to like we do is comforting and inspiring. If Iron Man can deal with his impending death and still find it in himself to try and do what's right, then I can too!

So the whole reason I believe why Marvel heroes are so more more engaging is not because they are stronger or weaker physically (because people can and will argue until the ends of eternity over which side is superior). It is because they reflect us. The DC heroes represent the best in us, and we put them on pedestals and idolize them for that. But by placing them above us we are removed from their perspective, and they become distant legends rather than flesh and blood beings. The heroes of Marvel however are just as flawed as we are, and we can put ourselves in their shoes and experience their victories like they were our own. They inspire us to do better by showing that as screwed up as we are, we can still rise to the challenge. And that is why Marvel heroes are so enjoyable, because when we can relate to them, we can by extension become them.

And there is no better feeling than feeling like a hero.

Marvel characters definitely have more personality to them. I don't want to say DC characters are two dimensional, but for the sake of proving a point let's compare DC and Marvel's flagship characters.

Superman - A pretty stand up guy. Fights for truth, justice, and the American way. Whatever he does, he always takes the moral highroad. Aside from moonlighting a job with the local news and having a stable romantic relationship, there isn't much to this character.

He's kind of a Sue, but he can get away with that because he's not a human being. He's an outsider who grew up in Midwestern America, so he fights for the only thing he knows.

Spiderman - Also a pretty stand up guy. Also fights for yeah okay we get it.

So Spiderman and Superman have almost the same identities by day. The real difference comes in their origin stories.

Peter Parker was indirectly responsible for the death of his own uncle, something which has scarred him for life. This is Spiderman's main motivation, not to fight crime for the sake of ideals, but to atone himself for his own crimes. He's not just a superhero. He's a human being who deals with the same problems other humans deal with everyday.

Kal-El can switch to being Clark Kent and not have to worry about being a superhero until the next big bad shows up. Sure there's a few exceptions, but for the most part he can keep his two identities separate.

Peter can't do that. He has to deal with the stress of being a crime fighter along with the stress of real life at the same time. As such, what happens in one life often affects the other, and it's an internal battle to not only maintain his social life but his sanity as well.

Spiderman is just a more developed character than Superman. Whether he is better is debatable, but the reader can relate to him more.

Daystar Clarion:

him over there:
*snip*

I don't want to be the guy to tell you this, but you're pretty much the only person who likes Metalocalypse.

That is why your argument is irrelevant.

@him: *brofist*

DC has made far better cartoons then Marvel, take that for what you will.

FelixG:

They have released 5 more sets since then ~.~ Man I need to get back to the comic shop.

I just finished #7 (trade paperback) I think theres about 11 and the story has been wrapped up

shame because it really sucked me in like no other (hmm..that sounded bad)

Daystar Clarion:

Okay, here's the difference. DC has these really big archetypal characters. No depth, no substance, a clean cardboard standup. They've got some legitimate characters they did some good work with over the years, but basically they're writing at the same characters they were writing about 70 years ago.

Marvel has characters with gimmicks. And I'm actually using the term Stan Lee applies to it. The characters aren't so much fully fleshed out characters, there isn't really a lot of depth, but there's a lot of random incongruities that lead you to perceive it as having depth. Kinda like those Mind's Eye 3D pictures from the 90s.

This really comes into sharp focus when you pull up the Batman analog in Marvel.

On the DC side, you've got this vigilante crimefighter, who's driven to do what he does because "MY PARENTS ARE DEAD!", who has spent his entire life training to the peak of human performance in some campaign to weed out evil. By day is a filthy rich bastard who could do whatever he wants, and at night dresses up like a bat to scare the hell out of criminals.

On the Marvel side, you've got this vigilante crimefighter, who's driven to do what he does because of Catholic Guilt. Who has spent his entire life training to the peak of human performance in a quest to atone for his sins. By day is a lawyer, and at night dresses up like a devil to scare the hell out of criminals. And he's blind.

I ask, which comes across as a more compelling character?

For the most part, Stan Lee took a lot of pains in giving the Marvel characters recognizable traits. Not because he was a better writer per say, but because he wanted to tell the most interesting story he could. Not the best, the most interesting.

It's left a legacy on Marvel characters, that they change over time, while DC keeps retooling and rebooting back to 1953, with minor tweaks at random intervals.

Vault101:

FelixG:

I just finished #7 (trade paperback) I think theres about 11 and the story has been wrapped up

shame because it really sucked me in like no other (hmm..that sounded bad)

If you are looking for another something interesting you might get a kick out of "Empire".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_(comics)

It is from DC, sort of a look from the opposite side of the good/evil axis where the big bad of this universe won and took over the world. Dont get too invested in it though, because DC kinda crapped out and killed it after only the first set of comics.

Starke:

On the Marvel side, you've got this vigilante crimefighter, who's driven to do what he does because of Catholic Guilt. Who has spent his entire life training to the peak of human performance in a quest to atone for his sins. By day is a lawyer, and at night dresses up like a devil to scare the hell out of criminals. And he's blind.

how the heck could somone find the time to be both a lawer AND a crimefighter?

theres a reason lawyers are often protrayed at the work-o-holic types...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked