Robin Doesn't Suck

I was spending some of my oh-so-precious free time to browse through MovieBob's back catalog of reviews, and at the beginning of one of the reviews (specifically, The Losers), he pitched the idea of Robin appearing in the then-untitled third Batman movie in the style of Kick-Ass' "Hit Girl". I noticed that this was met with extremely negative reaction from people saying that Robin was too "embarrassing" or "cheesy" to be in a Chris Nolan Batman movie.

Now, let that sink in: people are against the Boy Wonder showing up in a movie about a man dressing up as a flying rodent vigilante with mommy issues because it would be too cheesy.

I honestly don't get the hate for Robin. It's as if everybody based their opinion of him on the 60s TV show and concluded that that would be the same guy in a present movie. Was I the only one who watched Teen Titans? Or the only one that played Arkham City and saw Robin's brief, yet striking, appearance (not counting DLC)?

Robin has just as much potential for modernization and respect as Batman. I think that if they put, say, Alex Russel (aka Matt from Chronicle), put him in a darker shaded (NOT BLACK, that didn't work last time...)costume, gave him a revenge story with the mob boss that killed his parents (We're talking Dick Grayson here, you see), and BOOM: You've got a gritty, Chris Nolan, Robin.

But what I say doesn't mean crap, since all I am is a Cyberman for an appreciation for rock culture. So what does the Escapist think of my ingenious plan?

That's cuz the people complaining are only thinking of that god awful Batman & Robin movie. I'm willing to bet all of them haven't read a single comic book with any Robin in it as lame would be the last thing you'd call any Robin.

I love Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne. They are bamfs.

Actually thinking about it, Damian Wayne pretty much IS the male version of Hit Girl. Brain washed assassin with zero remorse with a fucked up parent (not talking about Bruce, though Hit-Girl's dad DID dress up as Bats).

EDIT: As for your plan, that's a little too similar to Wayne's origins.
I say bring in Jason Todd. His origins would fit in great with the grit in TDK, and not to mention the drama when he becomes the infinitely badass Red Hood (will have to skip over the hocus pocus Lazarus pit though).

I actually agree with Cheery Lunatic that they should just use Jason Todd. He has a great origin story (although it would need some tweaking due to the fact that Nolan has actually committed a number of acts of canon rape some of which affect his origin) that would totally work for the grim reality of Nolan's Batman movies. That and it would be really funny to see Batman's reaction to a kid trying to steal the wheels off the Batmobile.

My hatred of Jason Todd makes me hate him in all forms, even if he's written well in them. Sorry.

Tim Drake is the greatest Robin, though I think fans would get pissed if the theoretical movie Robin was not Dick Grayson. He's also the most well known, so the audience would pay better attention to him.

GrimTuesday:
I actually agree with Cheery Lunatic that they should just use Jason Todd. He has a great origin story (although it would need some tweaking due to the fact that Nolan has actually committed a number of acts of canon rape some of which affect his origin) that would totally work for the grim reality of Nolan's Batman movies. That and it would be really funny to see Batman's reaction to a kid trying to steal the wheels off the Batmobile.

It would be a lot better than seeing Little Miss Princess Diaries trying to pull off a character that has never been portrayed completely and successfully.

Jack the Potato:
My hatred of Jason Todd makes me hate him in all forms, even if he's written well in them. Sorry.

Tim Drake is the greatest Robin, though I think fans would get pissed if the theoretical movie Robin was not Dick Grayson. He's also the most well known, so the audience would pay better attention to him.

Yeah, having Tim Drake as Robin would be like having a Catwoman movie with Holly Robinson. It would make sense, and the movie could be the Citizen Kane of superhero movies, but everybody would cry foul because "OMGWHERESSELINAKYLLLLLLLLLLLE". Granted that's not as near as bad as what they did to the actual "Catwoman" (quotes implying sarcasm) movie.

I don't know much about the Tim Drake Robin beyond Arkham City, and I haven't really read much of the comics. But from what I've seen of Dick Grayson in the animated series, I really like his character. He sort of serves as a foil for Bruce and brings out his more human side. If that makes any sense.

I love Robin, all of the Robin's were awesome. Whoever talks shit about Robin needs to read Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin (Dick Grayson as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin is fucking awesome.). Hell even the new 52 Batman and Robin is awesome solely because of Damian.

Example:

Damian Wayne doesn't suck, I don't think Dick Grayson was that bad either, never liked Jason Todd very much and I hate Tim Drake...
Aside from that I just don't like the concept of Robin very much, a boy using very bright green and red sounds a bit off of the whole Batman thing.

Most of my exposure to Robin has been via Batman:TAS, Teen Titans, and Young Justice, so I can't say either way.

While I've read a FEW comics that are 'Robin' centric, I've always preferred him working in groups like the Teen Titans (Before the New 52 ruined them) more.

He just seems to be a more, open-minded(?)...version of Batman.

Though, I HATE how they killed off 'that female Robin'.
It was a dirty, 'Ms Marvel's rape' level, moment of nasty backwards crap.

Grayson is best as nightwing.
Todd is best as red hood.
Drake is amazing at everything he does ever.
Brown sucks everything ever, so hard.
Wayne needs to go. SO FUCKING MUCH.

And that's how it works.

Tanis:

Stephanie Brown isn't dead. She'd been A character called Spoiler, she was unpopular so they made her Robin. Still unpopular, so they killed her off. Then she got brought back purely because people felt sorry for Robin (Tim Drake, having lost his dad, Steph, Superboy and kid flash), and was batgirl. No-one liked her, still. So in the New 52, she's in private school in england And Babara Gordon is batgirl again.

Ms Marvel got raped? When? (Seems a little unlikely, unless it was a supervillain?)

SpectacularWebHead:

Tanis:

Stephanie Brown isn't dead. She'd been A character called Spoiler, she was unpopular so they made her Robin. Still unpopular, so they killed her off. Then she got brought back purely because people felt sorry for Robin (Tim Drake, having lost his dad, Steph, Superboy and kid flash), and was batgirl. No-one liked her, still. So in the New 52, she's in private school in england And Babara Gordon is batgirl again.

Ms Marvel got raped? When? (Seems a little unlikely, unless it was a supervillain?)

The WAY they killed her was messed up.

Movie Bob did a whole episode on it.
Some pretty messed up stuff.

Basically:
Miss Marvel gets brainwashed, rape (but, you know, in a 'good way'), then gives birth to her rapist...and marries him.

Yep.

Tanis:

SpectacularWebHead:

Tanis:

The WAY they killed her was messed up.

Movie Bob did a whole episode on it.
Some pretty messed up stuff.

Basically:
Miss Marvel gets brainwashed, rape (but, you know, in a 'good way'), then gives birth to her rapist...and marries him.

Yep.

Yeah, They went a bit too far with the whole "tortured, shot, left to die" thing.

Ms Marvel gave birth too the guy who raped her AFTER he rapes her and marries him?
Stan Lee, What the actual fuck?

Dunno, I really liked Robin in Arkham City. Dat stick...seriously.

SpectacularWebHead:
Yeah, They went a bit too far with the whole "tortured, shot, left to die" thing.
Ms Marvel gave birth too the guy who raped her AFTER he rapes her and marries him?

I just think it was done in a tasteless way, it COULD have been interesting...but, eh.

Yep, pretty messed up stuff:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5013-Favorite-Ms-Take-Part-1

I'll keep it simple, I like Robin, I especially like the Robin that becomes NightWing (my favorite DC character)

Diablo2000:
Damian Wayne doesn't suck, I don't think Dick Grayson was that bad either, never liked Jason Todd very much and I hate Tim Drake...
Aside from that I just don't like the concept of Robin very much, a boy using very bright green and red sounds a bit off of the whole Batman thing.

The costume they gave him in Arkham City was fine in a gritty setting.

Cheery Lunatic:
I say bring in Jason Todd. His origins would fit in great with the grit in TDK, and not to mention the drama when he becomes the infinitely badass Red Hood (will have to skip over the hocus pocus Lazarus pit though).

If it gave us more Liam Neeson, I'd be willing to put up with the whole Lazarus pit element sneaking into the Nolan films... not going to happen, but it'd be worth it.

Tanis:

SpectacularWebHead:

I just think it was done in a tasteless way, it COULD have been interesting...but, eh.

Yep, pretty messed up stuff:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/5013-Favorite-Ms-Take-Part-1

Just worked out why barely anyone complained!

The what the fuck is so massive, It's defies comprehension. It's hurting my fragile mind.

At least I now fully understand why I've only ever met two girls who are into main-stream comics...

...Seriously, I'm massively confused. Whaaat? That's... What?

Congratulations Tanis, My mind has just been blown. I'm not even sure in what way my mind has been blown, but suffice to say I'm gonna be cleaning the walls for at least the next 4 hours.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked