Whats your stance on drug use?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

irmasterlol:

fenrizz:

irmasterlol:
Most of the stoner culture irritates the hell out of me. (Most meaning all). This is unfair, but I pretty quickly assume anyone who uses drugs is socially maladjusted and immature. Obviously alcohol is the exception because it is so ubiquitous in our culture. Tobacco may only be smoked from a pipe, or it inspires a completely different set of prejudices from me. Today my 17 year old sister told one of those stupid pot stories (you know, the kind that always start with "I got sooo high last night that...") and it was all I could do not to put my fucking face through a wall, but I'm getting off topic.

That is because those of us that are socially adjusted and mature tend to keep out illegal habits to ourselves, or at least to a close circle of fellow minded friends.
Don't want to get in trouble with the police or be stigmatized in our local community.

Your 17 year old sister is not a stereotypical stoner, just a stereotypical 17year old :)

I'm still convinced the well-adjusted and mature ones don't exist.

It's true, they're really out there. There's this pub that my friends and I go to now and then and the only way you'd know that people there are smoking weed is because you can smell it, not because people are shoving the idea in your face. They're actually quite casual about it.

I got to chatting with a random dude one time and before he left he just said "You're alright man" and stuck a few joints in my hand, I don't smoke the stuff as much as I used to so I gave them to my friends. But yeah, you'll find that people generally over the age of 20 or so really treat it just the same as smoking a cigarette.

anthony87:

irmasterlol:

fenrizz:

That is because those of us that are socially adjusted and mature tend to keep out illegal habits to ourselves, or at least to a close circle of fellow minded friends.
Don't want to get in trouble with the police or be stigmatized in our local community.

Your 17 year old sister is not a stereotypical stoner, just a stereotypical 17year old :)

It's true, they're really out there. There's this pub that my friends and I go to now and then and the only way you'd know that people there are smoking weed is because you can smell it, not because people are shoving the idea in your face. They're actually quite casual about it.

I got to chatting with a random dude one time and before he left he just said "You're alright man" and stuck a few joints in my hand, I don't smoke the stuff as much as I used to so I gave them to my friends. But yeah, you'll find that people generally over the age of 20 or so really treat it just the same as smoking a cigarette.

Seconded, the consuption of marijuana is incredibly mundane and most stoners realise that an act accordingly. It's only excited teenagers that think it's anything special.

I really don't see why this is an issue at all, as long as they aren't negatively effecting others let people do what they want, I can't fathom why alcohol is acceptable but cannabis isn't. As long as a person dosen't go over bored what's the problem?
And for those who say it's harmful all I have two things to say, you can die crossing the street, and natural selection.
On the day that humans have to fight off the covenant I'm sure we're not going to want the guy who thinks its a good idea to pump them selves full of their favourite poison.

I only drink occasionally and have never smoked up or injected anything(or whatever). With that out of the way I feel that abusive substances of any kind are not being handled well by society in general. I work in the food industry and frankly, like it or not, weed and tobacco and alcohol are part of that culture. I work with people who regularly use pot and they are no worse to be around than anyone else. It's how you handle your habit that makes the difference. I have worked with the odd total reject on this stuff, but mostly users of mild drugs are like you and me.

When I say that society does not handle this well, I mean prohibition. The world's first black market started up about 5 minutes after someone said to someone else for the first time "you are not allowed to have that." Damn near all organized crime in North America can trace it's origins to drug and alcohol prohibition. You cannot stop people from using this shit. You cannot stop people from selling it. Best to make it legal for the stuff that is most heavily used at least (pot, maaaybe ecstasy as suggested by some doctors in British Colombia, Canada) so that is can be legally sold and created safely to minimize the risk as was done for alcohol after that waste of time prohibition experiment failed.

Jailing people for taking drugs is idiotic. What you do to yourself should not be illegal. Only what you do to others.

I would like to drink marijauna as tea. Smoking anything screws with your lungs.

In my opinion, weed should be on the same level as alcohol and tobacco: potentially dangerous in excess, potentially addictive, but not "unacceptably" so. I drink and have smoked weed on a couple of isolated occasions, for the record. I also drink a fuck ton of caffeine.

I don't know enough about the harder drugs to form a proper opinion. On the one hand, I can definitely get behind regulation so people actually know what they're taking and at what dose; on the other hand, shit like heroin majorly fucks people up. But then again so does alcohol in some cases.

I personally wouldn't take anything harder than weed (and I don't exactly "do" weed either) simply because I'm not prepared to take those risks. I have friends who've tried various other things and I don't think less of them for it, though it is disappointing if they've simply done it due to peer pressure. Generally speaking I don't think it's any of my business if adults do whatever they want in the comfort of their own homes, unless it harms someone else.

Smeatza:

anthony87:

irmasterlol:

Seconded, the consuption of marijuana is incredibly mundane and most stoners realise that an act accordingly. It's only excited teenagers that think it's anything special.

Agreed, though I'm not a stoner myself. The people I know who smoke it now are completely different to the ones I knew as a teenager. In my experience, weed is nice enough but nothing like as intoxicating as you're led to believe. Alcohol has a vastly stronger effect.

It's threads like these that remind me how many judgemental, experience lacking kids occupy the forums.

OT: It should be a persons own choice if they use a drug. The deeming of illegality for recreation drugs is just another way that we're told what we can and can't do according to an arbitrary set of standards.

Alcohol... fine go nuts. Poison that liver, get into a brawl, act like a loon.

Weed...... terrible stuff. 5 year jail sentence.

Please for the love of god don't point out the hyperbole to me.

Just gonna stick this up top: A PERSON WHO SMOKES MARIJUANA IS NOT NECESSARILY A "STONER".

On with the discussion:

Drug defined as chemical that psychologically and physically alters you?

What I dislike is that I imagine that most people would accept that definition...and then not see the contradiction in marijuana being illegal, while you can eat as many cheese burgers as you want.

The question is not: should it be illegal? The question is: to what extent should it be deterred, and what is the most effective way of doing that?

Making drugs illegal does not work as deterrence (the majority of people, including most in this thread I would imagine, tried smoking before they were 18). What works is awareness, don't tell kids that a couple of puffs on a joint is going to kill them, cos
A. They won't believe you and
B. When they find out you were lying they'll trust you even less.

Aim to inform people, don't bash they over the heads with "YOU MUST NOT"'s, as long as people aren't ignorant of the risks, then personal freedom dictates that it is none of your business what they do to their bodies.

As long as people know the risks, and it doesn't hurt someone else, go nuts you stupid idiot, do as much as you like. It's your life, and as long as you understand you're putting yourself in danger, it's your choice.

I would never touch "Hard drugs", but I have smoked a ciggerete or two, to try and work out why people do. I drink too, but I don't wanna go NEAR anyone using, or offering anything "hard".

Anything that isn't addicting, or has a pretty low chance of getting addicted to, are fine by me. Weed, XTC, LSD, shrooms, you go right ahead and take that (not too much, obviously). Heroin, Cocaine, Meth, Tobacco, Crack, hell no. Alcohol I'm not sure about. I drink plenty myself, but I've seen how destructive and potentially addictive it can be.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

Well, not quite... but what how people wish to live their lives should be up to them and up for negotiation with those it affects directly. Also, what kinda drugs are we talking?

--- I've been an experience seeker at points my life and have drawn my conclusions from first hand experience and observations ---

I might not like alcohol or tabacco, but I don't think it's my place to legally punish those who do, or to criminalize the behavior.

Having been to a few grass bars or 'hash cafes' over the span of my life, I have a hard time envisioning fights breaking out there. Even if you're not smoking or vaporizing, the staff and clientele all grin and move in a languid, fluid slow motion. Doesn't speak harm to me.

I think entheogens or hallucinogens get a bad rap, too. They're been consistently positive, if bewildering, spiritually affirmative experiences for me. I'm not normally given to much spirtual pondering, but it's helped me see why many people ARE.

As for other stuff, coke, smack, designer chemicals, etc, they can be *very* fun, but very shallow, transient experiences... they tend to attract a bad crowd and bad behavior. Regardless, harm reduction seems preferable to legalization. People do what they do and unfortunately I've seen some friends turn into junkies... That said, my observations seem to note that most people who go the farthest in abusing powerful stimulants and depressants are those with previously existing and co morbid mental disorders.

Finally, there are the no-benefits killer drugs that really *should* be banned and enforced, since they are either too personally toxic to tolerate or prone to being used to hurt people. Rust/Oxi, Krokodil, Scropolamine, Bath Salts/MDVP, fentanyl (anywhere but under doc supervision) and arguably more common fare like crystal methamphetamine or PCP. Just bad news with almost nothing to offer but delirium and pain.

My 0.02

edit: HAH - "Gone Gonzo" tag

Stripes:

To the guy saying taking drugs keeps you from seeing real beauty? Drugs aren't real? Do you really think all lof us are escaping reality?

Correct, you are trying to escape reality.

Or that we understand that a little dab of powder can provide hours of fun? I eat carrots to get vitamin a so I can see in the dark.

Then you might as well stop eating carrots. That's an urban legand, started during WWII, it was part of the propaganda machine related to the radar program.

I didnt say this, not sure how you quoted me.

Powereaver:
If youre an adult and you feel like using drugs.. go ahead, as long as youre not forcing them on me, or affecting me in any way with it go right ahead, make your own mistakes :D

With Bath Salts, they are very much affecting you. They are chewing your face off (i.e. going on a psychotic drug-induced rampage).

I see anyone who uses illegal drugs to be pathetic and will not associate with them.

i think marajuana should be legalized, as its basically a special cigarrette that makes you feel awesome [apparently, ive never done any drugs, apart from a coors light or 3 every weekend]. the way i look at it, is if marajuana is so bad, why can we be perscribed it? sure its cleaner than street stuff but then the gov. should sell it legally so we can all get clean, good marajuana. stuff like heroin, and cocaine should stay illegal. ive seen it, that shit messes you up, you become a zombie, looking for their next fix.

I am apprehensive about legalizing drugs that make you eat peoples faces off.

Same with drugs that can make you a full on bullet sponge or give you an edge in anything.

Other drugs I am fine with.

However, I think it is important to understand why drugs are illegal. One, in countries that pay for healthcare, they do not want people taking up resources that could be used for other cases. Two is that people who take hard drugs are not likely to have a job to support their use, resulting in crime to pay for said narcotics.

But, personally, I am fine with drugs that do not make you a risk to those around you.

Wolverine18:

Correct, you are trying to escape reality.

And people "above" drugs aren't?

But then again, isn't enjoying a delicious cake also an attempt to escape reality? Or reading a book or watching a film?

We're all escapees in the grand scheme of things, if you ask me.

I think it's silly; you slowly kill yourself in return for a quick boost, not to mention having to buy all of it. I get very angry whenever I see someone smoking. Firstly, I don't want to breathe in your smoke, and secondly you must be pretty stupid to even consider trying a cigarette now that we all know how bad it is. But hey, as long as you don't get in my way, enjoy paying money to kill yourself you lunatic.

kortin:
I see anyone who uses illegal drugs to be pathetic and will not associate with them.

But as soon as they become legal everything is fine!

Weed, I'm absolutely fine with. Love the stuff. Planning on smoking some when I get back home from this month long trip. Alcohol, whatever. Acid and shrooms? A little bit more on the risky side, but go for it.

That's where I draw the line. Coke isn't that bad in the scheme of things, but the harder drugs like Heroin and Meth, I think should be kept illegal. There's no realistic way it can be allowed to become decriminalized. I think most people who are on the "their bodies, their lives" train of thought don't really get how bad it can get. There are very few people who can keep it under control.

Than again, I have a father who was in the DEA, had his partner kidnapped by the Cartel, and saw a bunch of rather horrible shit from these low lives, so my opinion may be skewed.

irmasterlol:
Most of the stoner culture irritates the hell out of me. (Most meaning all). This is unfair, but I pretty quickly assume anyone who uses drugs is socially maladjusted and immature. Obviously alcohol is the exception because it is so ubiquitous in our culture. Tobacco may only be smoked from a pipe, or it inspires a completely different set of prejudices from me. Today my 17 year old sister told one of those stupid pot stories (you know, the kind that always start with "I got sooo high last night that...") and it was all I could do not to put my fucking face through a wall, but I'm getting off topic.

Like the guy said above me, your sister is just a typical stupid 17 year old.

It's another case of the Vocal minority absolutely not representing the majority. The underlying culture that really surrounds it is really full of some of the most calm and chill dudes you have ever seen.

kortin:

Because all laws are always looking out for our best interests, right?

"Do what you want, but none for me" - thats pretty much my stance.

Well, I occasionally drink- but I very rarely get drunk. I've never smoked a cigarette and never done any drugs apart from the ones my doctor gives me.
I won't do any drugs because of the family history of mental instability. Just feels too much like tempting fate.
My boyfriend only drinks too, and not very often, I'm lucky in that way. I don't think I would date someone who smoked or did drugs.

Oh, and also, I don't believe you should become intoxicated through drink/drugs when you are responsible for someone else (like a child). I've had massive disagreements about that with certain people I know.

anthony87:

Yeah, my friends are the exact same way. Me and two of my close friends literally didn't tell each other we smoked weed for a while because we were all kinda cautious of the social stigmas that sorta called you out to be a douche. When we finally realized that we all smoked, it became awesome.

DazZ.:

Not necessarily. I was using "illegal drugs" because medicine is legal drugs used properly. I highly doubt should any illegal drug become legalized, that anyone would use the drug properly.

JoesshittyOs:

kortin:

Because all laws are always looking out for our best interests, right?

Not at all. I just see it as a pathetic and idiotic lifestyle, and anyone who chooses such a lifestyle deserves no interaction from me. I'm perfectly fine missing out on friends if it means I don't have to be near people with such criminal activities (because, REGARDLESS of whether you think the drug should or shouldn't be illegal, it's still illegal at this moment in time, and I will not be thrown in jail because of YOUR (note: not you specifically, but a general your) idiocy.)

kortin:

DazZ.:

Not necessarily. I was using "illegal drugs" because medicine is legal drugs used properly. I highly doubt should any illegal drug become legalized, that anyone would use the drug properly.

Alcohol? Tobacco? Caffeine? All drugs, all legal. What's your take on those?

kortin:

Not at all. I just see it as a pathetic and idiotic lifestyle, and anyone who chooses such a lifestyle deserves no interaction from me. I'm perfectly fine missing out on friends if it means I don't have to be near people with such criminal activities (because, REGARDLESS of whether you think the drug should or shouldn't be illegal, it's still illegal at this moment in time, and I will not be thrown in jail because of YOUR (note: not you specifically, but a general your) idiocy.)

Why is it (I guess I'm referring to just weed here) and idiotic and pathetic lifestyle? I feel you just have an entirely hypocritical view of people based off of what the government has deemed legal and illegal.

Eamar:

Alcoholics are killing themselves, Smokers are killing themselves, caffeine users are hyperactive (I'm not entirely sure if caffeine can actually kill a person unless it's just pure caffeine). Typically both alcoholics and smokers are pathetic in general, so I avoid interaction with them. Drinking on occasion is a little different, to where they don't rely on the drink to get them through the day, unlike with a lot of smokers (and no, I have never seen evidence of "occasional smoking")

In my opinion, people can do drugs if they want.
It's their body. They can do whatever they want to with it.
I don't drink, but I don't give a fuck if you do. Why should I care if some poor bastard is shooting up or snorting cocaine?
The only time I'll actively try and stop someone is if I know them personally and it's fucking them over.

JoesshittyOs:
Why is it (I guess I'm referring to just weed here) and idiotic and pathetic lifestyle? I feel you just have an entirely hypocritical view of people based off of what the government has deemed legal and illegal.

Hypocritical...do you, perchance, mean hypothetical? People are slaves to their drug. Weed use, when used for medicinal purposes, can be good. However, just smoking it whenever you feel like it because "it feels good, man" is you simply being a slave to your drug. You crave the high, it's not in your control. You're addicted, and pathetic.

I think its a poor choice for the average person, but one that is very tempting. However I don't classify all drugs in the same category.

Certain drugs should certainly never be taken as recreation (meth, opiates, cocaine, etc) as they are both addictive, damaging, and have better alternatives to achieve the presumed desired effect of enjoyment. They often lead to or are taken as a result of drug abuse and lead the individual wasting away their life and often endangering others while doing so. While it is possible to do these drugs and lead a perfectly normal life afterwards the only way to tell is through experience and statistically it is simply not a risk that should be taken.

Strong psychedelics and drugs that cause any sort of hallucination should only be used under the care of a medical professional and after at least some screening. They can let a person see the world in a different light/way and can be beneficial for people in the right frame of mind. However to those not in the right frame of mind it can be very damaging as well.

Social drugs (Alcohol/Marijuana) that can be used with little danger to self or others should be used with caution but otherwise unrestricted. The consequences of misuse (driving under the influence for example) should be far greater than what they currently are and person's right to buy/possess the substance should be able to be revoked if abused.

Personally the only one of these categories that I am even remotely interested in is the psychedelics and hallucination inducing drugs. I would of course only even consider taking them under the care of a medical professional and after a psych evaluation.

I feel sorry for those who have fallen into the abuse/addictive tendency of any of these drugs. I'm also a bit wary of anybody using certain types of drugs (for example meth) as they tend to be a bit... dangerous at times. I really don't have a problem with drug use in and of itself if it is done responsibly.

Personally I've never done any illegal drugs despite being surrounded to them for a large chunk of my life. I never even drank alcohol until I turned 21 (legal age) and discovered I simply didn't like doing so very much. It to this day alcohol is the only drug that I have done for recreational purposes and likely will be until the day I die. Unless of course psychedelics are legalized and I'm approved by medical/psychological professionals.

Weed is less damaging than alcohol, and 40% of road-accidents is causes by drunkeness, or alcohol. No-one's died of pot. No. One.

Other drugs, like Meth, Heroine, or Jellies, I can see why people take such a strong stance against. They're dangerous. But pot's not dangerous. You can get high and/or make an ass of yourself, but otherwise, it's fine. As long as you use it in a secluded area and don't hurt/kill anyone during your stimulation, go ahead. But, please; we've had enough random canibalistic attacks. Don't do it in the streets.

kortin:

Eamar:

Alcohol users are killing themselves, Tobacco users are killing themselves, caffeine users are hyperactive (I'm not entirely sure if caffeine can actually kill a person unless it's just pure caffeine). Typically both alcoholics and smokers are pathetic in general, so I avoid interaction with them. Drinking on occasion is a little different, to where they don't rely on the drink to get them through the day, just like with a lot of smokers (and no, I have never seen evidence of "occasional smoking")

Alcoholics are very much the exception rather than the rule, given how ubiquitous alcohol consumption is in the Western world. Drinking too much caffeine (many, many espresso shots in quick succession) can cause a heart attack, but admittedly that's very rare. But to say "caffeine users are hyperactive" is ridiculous given the sheer number of people who have a coffee in the morning. I share your distaste for smoking, for what it's worth.

My point is, how do you justify saying "drinking on occasion is a little different" while simultaneously saying that anyone who uses other substances is "pathetic"? Also, do you genuinely extend those feelings to anyone who uses alcohol and/or caffeine? Because I'm pretty sure that applies to the majority of people you encounter on a day to day basis.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious as to where you draw the line.

kortin:

JoesshittyOs:

Hypocritical...do you, perchance, mean hypothetical? People are slaves to their drug. Weed use, when used for medicinal purposes, can be good. However, just smoking it whenever you feel like it because "it feels good, man" is you simply being a slave to your drug. You crave the high, it's not in your control. You're addicted, and pathetic.

No, I meant hypocritical.

By that logic, you're addicted to gaming. So you're also a Brony? You must be addicted to that show than, and it's pathetic.

In this day and age, that's the stupidest reasoning to have. Just because something is enjoying to use does not mean it's addicting. That "Fuck, I really enjoy this, it must be addicting" simply is idiotic.

Eamar:
Alcoholics are very much the exception rather than the rule, given how ubiquitous alcohol consumption is in the Western world. Drinking too much caffeine (many, many espresso shots in quick succession) can cause a heart attack, but admittedly that's very rare. But to say "caffeine users are hyperactive" is ridiculous given the sheer number of people who have a coffee in the morning. I share your distaste for smoking, for what it's worth.

My point is, how do you justify saying "drinking on occasion is a little different" while simultaneously saying that anyone who uses other substances is "pathetic"? Also, do you genuinely extend those feelings to anyone who uses alcohol and/or caffeine? Because I'm pretty sure that applies to the majority of people you encounter on a day to day basis.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just curious as to where you draw the line.

It was a generalizing statement, just like I used with illegal drug users and alcoholics/smokers. :P

Drinking on occasion shows you still have control over what you're doing. You know that alcohol is bad for you, so you don't become a slave to it. Once you start getting those feelings of addiction (be it psychological or physical), is when I draw the line. To allow yourself to become addicted to such substances shows weakness and lack of self-control, two things that I cannot stand in a person.

I don't consider caffeine to be as hard a drug, so it's a little different. Instead of not associating myself with people who "need that cup of joe in the mornin'", I just scoff at their inability to prevent addiction and go on with my day.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked