Websites with drop-down menus.

Hi everyone,

I have been having alot of trouble on this site (and others) with the drop-down menus appearing in the way of other things I am trying to click on and taking me to the wrong page. I am wondering if there is a way to disable them?

For discussion value, what do you think of the drop-down menu system that many sites seem to be adopting?

Thanks for reading,

Flames

Well I know the Escapist drop down menu's can be sometimes annoying, but for the most part they seem to work well. Other then that I don't really have an opinion.

Man you gotta have an opinion! I mean, do you think that these menus came down an... BOOOOM!!! Brain everywhere.

*Cough* Um, what was I saying?

They're a pain in the arse on smartphone platforms, because you don't always have the same ability to scroll over them that you do on personal computers. On PCs, though, they can be quite useful - as long as you have a browser that can effectively use them.

Well, on this site they seem to not close when I take the mouse away from them. That REALLY annoys me.

Yeah, really annoying here. They drop down on top of other things (like the The Escapist Portal > The Escapist Forums > Off-topic Discussion at the top of the page) without warning, and won't go away.

Often they decide to drop down just when I'm clicking, so I click on some random other thing which is very annoying.

What? The ones at the very top? Why are you mousing over them? Goes away in less than a second for me

Don't really like em.

I'd love an option to turn them off, might make the site less pretty but I think it would make navigation a smoother experience for me.

That being said, they're not THAT bad. Nothing that will aggravate me on a daily basis.

The only time it really bothers me is if I'm trying to surf on my phone. It's almost impossible to get them to work properly then

I think it's a terrible idea, especially when mobile usage is one of the fastest growing markets. It can work quite well for computers, but can also be quite annoying sometimes. Not a big fan.

Flames66:
I have been having alot of trouble on this site (and others) with the drop-down menus appearing in the way of other things I am trying to click on and taking me to the wrong page. I am wondering if there is a way to disable them?

Well, depending on how they are implemented. The CSS ones shouldn't be much of an issue but if they are, there isn't much you can do about them. The JavaScript ones could be a bit annoying - like here if they don't want to go away. Well, you can mouse over the meny and then move the mouse away - that should reset the menu. You can also disable JavaScript, whoch would also take away lots of other functions on the website (clicking the Quote button is one of them) so it's not recommended. And, erm, I really shouldn't talk about how to do it properly.

In my opinion, they are only acceptable if they open when clicked on, not when moused over.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked