Woman in China was forced to abort her baby by government officials.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16247543

In what is considered a dickish move by the rest of the world and normal by their standards.
A woman in China was forced to abort her second child by government officials because they want to implement that one child policy law. Now let me get this straight, this is not the first time they did this barbaric thing but this is the first that was widely known.

So what do you think?
Also China why u so China?

You know this has been going on since the 70s?

It's been widely known for decades, this isn't the first time it has gotten attention. I think it's the first time you have taken an interest in it.

Seriously, this is old hat. I'm pretty sure China is better now than it was in the cold war era.

With the way the human population is growing everywhere and China's overcrowding, is it really a bad thing? It may be terrible for the mother but it's better than nature curbing out population for us IMO.

China is a militant dictatorship in all but name and their One Child policy is both old and well known. It wouldn't surprise me if this story was true and many more like it.

Matthew94:

It's been widely known for decades, this isn't the first time it has gotten attention. I think it's the first time you have taken an interest in it.

Seriously, this is old hat. I'm pretty sure China is better now than it was in the cold war era.

I'm pretty sure the reason why this one got more attention was cause (if I remember rightly) she was about 7 months pregnant at the time. Hold on let me find the article...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18453995

Yeah. That's freaking awful.
I have no words.

TehCookie:
With the way the human population is growing everywhere and China's overcrowding, is it really a bad thing? It may be terrible for the mother but it's better than nature curbing out population for us IMO.

China isn't overcrowded, areas are but the country has tons of space. I think about 90% of the people live on 10% of the land. That or something close to it.

Phasmal:

Matthew94:

I'm pretty sure the reason why this one got more attention was cause (if I remember rightly) she was about 7 months pregnant at the time. Hold on let me find the article...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-18453995

Yeah. That's freaking awful.
I have no words.

Fair enough, it still doesn't bother me. This shit has happened for decades, I'm not going to pretend to give a shit now.

I thought by having a second child in China you no longer have credit card rights (you pay things straight away)? Well I heard of that ages ago.

Either way while I under the reason to have that law (alot of people but little space to provide) but that is just awful.

Make a thread when they don't force a woman to abort her second child. That's newsworthy. This is just China being China for the billionth time.

Considering how over-populated China is I really don't have an issue.

The one child thing only applies to Han Chinese.

She knew the rules. Perhaps in the future she will insist on a condom.

First time that it was widely known? This has been public policy for decades.

Matthew94:

You see I'm kinda pissed with China right now because of the territorial dispute at Scarborough Shoal in the West Philippine Sea and the bullying tactics they do with my country.

Also I hate bullying, I was bullied mercilessly in grade school and high school.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Make a thread when they don't force a woman to abort her second child. That's newsworthy. This is just China being China for the billionth time.

That's actually happened quite a few times. Mostly for the rich as they can afford the fines and lack of benefits and not have it affect them whatsoever.

The fact the child was 7 months into its gestation (which can easily survive the outside world with some medical help) and was placed next to her (apparently) after being forcefully killed is really bloody sad.

Wait, is this new? I knew of this when I was like...6?

We should start doing stuff like this more often too many people on this world.
But Just on babies who cant survive outside.

I read on cracked they have thease old ladys around with red armbands which are the "old lady" police....

who will "suggest" you get an aboriton

The 7 month thing was a dick move, but honestly I think every country should be either a one child or two child(depending on population) law. As much as some people refuse to believe it, our planet has finite resources, it cannot sustain humans forever. We should be striving for an equilibrium for death/birth. The world cannot afford population explosions.

God's Clown:
but honestly I think every country should be either a one child or two child(depending on population) law. As much as some people refuse to believe it, our planet has finite resources, it cannot sustain humans forever. We should be striving for an equilibrium for death/birth. The world cannot afford population explosions.

I'm glad you're not a policy maker. Shit like this is a big slap in the face. People should be allowed to have as many kids as the want, and be trusted with deciding if they can support said kids. The government has no business legislating anyone's reproductive tract.

Besides the population is more or less stablizing itself anyway. Birthrates in the west are dropping like rocks, and Japan's is so low that it needs to go up if the country wants to exist by the next millenium.

What are you going to do, the government of China are evil and frankly I wish that they would be treated as such by reporters.

TestECull:

God's Clown:
but honestly I think every country should be either a one child or two child(depending on population) law. As much as some people refuse to believe it, our planet has finite resources, it cannot sustain humans forever. We should be striving for an equilibrium for death/birth. The world cannot afford population explosions.

I'm glad you're not a policy maker. Shit like this is a big slap in the face. People should be allowed to have as many kids as the want, and be trusted with deciding if they can support said kids. The government has no business legislating anyone's reproductive tract.

Besides the population is more or less stablizing itself anyway. Birthrates in the west are dropping like rocks, and Japan's is so low that it needs to go up if the country wants to exist by the next millenium.

"be trusted with deciding if they can support said kids"?!? Christ half the population cant be trusted to look after a damn goldfish, let alone deciding how many kids they can support.

God's Clown:
The 7 month thing was a dick move, but honestly I think every country should be either a one child or two child(depending on population) law. As much as some people refuse to believe it, our planet has finite resources, it cannot sustain humans forever. We should be striving for an equilibrium for death/birth. The world cannot afford population explosions.

And you are going to enforce this how?

Why would they do this? Come on... China is well known for its great human rights history.

Well now i know the next country on my nuclear bombing list.

But really? WTF China?

crofty616:

"be trusted with deciding if they can support said kids"?!? Christ half the population cant be trusted to look after a damn goldfish, let alone deciding how many kids they can support.

And I suppose your moral compass was handed down to you by Jesus himself, giving you the right to determine what is right and wrong for millions of people you don't even know the names of?

This is one thing the government has no business doing. Governments are for securing borders and maintaining infrastructure, not legislating people's wombs.

Besides, what are you gonna do when someone tries for their one alotted kid and biology conspires to give them triplets?

crofty616:

TestECull:

God's Clown:

LOL so much this.

There should be exams for parents or something, I mean, handling kids is important shit, not everyone can do that properly.

TestECull:

crofty616:

And I suppose your moral compass was handed down to you by Jesus himself, giving you the right to determine what is right and wrong for millions of people you don't even know the names of?

This is one thing the government has no business doing. Governments are for securing borders and maintaining infrastructure, not legislating people's wombs.

Besides, what are you gonna do when someone tries for their one alotted kid and biology conspires to give them triplets?

I don't claim to be a politician, and have no intention of campaigning or trying to convince others to share my view, it's just my opinion. Without getting too much into it I would presume the law in the imaginary country I ruled would be that if you have triplets or more then that is fine, it just uses up all of your allocated sprog credits.... I wouldn't go as far as feeding the third one to the lions.

as others have mentioned this has been government policy there for years. if you happen to be tibetan in tibet. there is a good chance you will not only receive a forced abortion but also be surgically sterilised as well

Matthew94:

TehCookie:

China isn't overcrowded, areas are but the country has tons of space. I think about 90% of the people live on 10% of the land. That or something close to it.

Except overpopulation isn't a matter of space, it's a matter of food production and China has always had a huge problem with famines. You can't just move the population to the emptier regions, they still need to feed them which historically they've been unable to do reliably. Now granted China has never really had a truly modern agricultural system but even with GM crops they still have to feed a population of well over a billion, without the policy it would likely be closer to two billion. So while the One Child Policy is very unpleasant and has some very unfortunate consequences but to say China doesn't have overpopulation problems is simply not true.

Give me a break. As posters noted, this issue is 40 years old. We're tired of hearing the same old feminist tripe about how women are victimized.

Like trawlers trying to insist the seas aren't being stripped of all fish, feminists have to go into the nether regions of the world to find that odd fish, that odd example of female victimization, to counter the glaring reality of barren seas and male victimization the world over.

The fact is that the one-child law was necessary. China suffers from gross overpopulation even as is, like nothing anything in the West can compare to. The country is vast but most of it is mountains and desert. China has a quarter of the world's population but only a tenth the arable and habitable land.

It is nothing but bigotry and arrogance to pass judgement on another culture for having different values. Especially when we do so unequally...do we say the Chinese mothers who make the decision to kill their own daughters for want of a son are any more or less evil than the government that has good reason to insist they not contribute to overpopulation?

You cannot apply American... uh, "sensibilities" ... yeah, thats what we'll call it.. to everyone else.

Its their country, their rules, and we have no right to judge or interfere with them.

Some of these comments disturb me .. I understand the law is the law- but people are allowed to question whether if that law is really an aspect to society or just a ridiculous one that only inflicts communities in a negative manner. And this law, is wrong to me.

I don't understand how China can do that- forcing a woman to abort a baby. Regardless if it was intended or not, pregnancies do happen and it's not fully under people's control. Imagine if USA came up with a law that if you didn't have enough money to support a baby, you would have to abort it. Because of the law made, should we accept it and scold every mother for having a baby while being poor anyhow? I say no.

Zack Alklazaris:
Considering how over-populated China is I really don't have an issue.

I won't judge you nor call you out of course but... why would you say that if I may ask? The baby was 7 months old and was almost ready. I mean, I can understand how you could see it as such but still.. a place that's over populated doesn't excuse what the mother was forced to do. Also if their government allowed it- the mother could of moved out of China and kept the baby so would you still have no issue if there was another solution at hand?

Axolotl:

Matthew94:

TehCookie:

Except overpopulation isn't a matter of space, it's a matter of food production and China has always had a huge problem with famines. You can't just move the population to the emptier regions, they still need to feed them which historically they've been unable to do reliably. Now granted China has never really had a truly modern agricultural system but even with GM crops they still have to feed a population of well over a billion, without the policy it would likely be closer to two billion. So while the One Child Policy is very unpleasant and has some very unfortunate consequences but to say China doesn't have overpopulation problems is simply not true.

I know, but I view over crowding and overpopulation as 2 different things.

I would agree that the country is over populated. I always viewed overcrowded as a physical thing (too many people, not enough space) while overpopulated is the "too many people and not enough resources" issue.

Antonio Torrente:
http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16247543

In what is considered a dickish move by the rest of the world and normal by their standards.
A woman in China was forced to abort her second child by government officials because they want to implement that one child policy law. Now let me get this straight, this is not the first time they did this barbaric thing but this is the first that was widely known.

So what do you think?
Also China why u so China?

Ok, this is going to be very weird for me to actually defend China for a second, but I will. The one-child policy, while ethically uncomfortable, was nothing less than a necessity. It was introduced in the 70's and only now is their population growth starting to level out because of it. Do you want to know how many more people it is estimated would live in China today if they had allowed everyone to have 2 children instead, just 1 more per family? The entire population of the USA. The entire population of the USA, hundreds of millions of people added on to the over 1 billion that they already have. Even for a country of China's size and wealth, this population explosion would have been catastrophic. Problems it has caused, such as the imbalance of boys to girls in the population, are not really the fault of the Chinese government, but rather outdated traditions and customs.

Is the one-child policy a nice thought for those of us living in the sheltered West? No. Are the ways it is sometimes implemented not very pretty? Definitely. But they really have no choice, and will continue to have no choice for a few decades to come yet.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked