It's in the title. But just in case it needs repeating...Do you think we'll see a major political leader assassinated in "our time"?
Yes.
76% (193)
76% (193)
No.
23.2% (59)
23.2% (59)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you think we'll see an assassination on a major political leader in our time?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So, simply, I've been watching quite a bit of TV and film recently and some of them have had major political leaders (mainly the president of the US) either being assassinated or had their has been an attempted assassination at least.

So I pose a question to my fellow Escapists, just as an interesting thought. Do you think we shall see a major political leader be assassinated, a JFK moment if you will, or do you believe that the leaders are too well protected nowadays for anything like that to happen?

P.S By major political leader, I mean leaders of developed countries. So your Obamas, Merkels, Camerons and so on. I figure in the less developed nations, something like the head of state is much more likely.

And...discuss.

EDIT: Changed the title from Head Of State to major political leader as it makes more sense with what I have said in the OP

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama was shot as he was re-elected again.

I'm not saying I want him to be but considering the damage he's caused and people are wanting him out of office who knows what could happen.

To be honest, I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. Not just to political people... But anyone in general. In the grand scope of things (at least here in Canada) people seem to have such restraint. Even something as simple as an arsonist. Anytime I pass a forest it makes me realize just how easy it'd be for someone with the will to toss a match or light a fire and watch the blaze.

I am in no way saying I support or feel the urge to do any of this, it just occurs to me how easy it could be for terrible things to happen, and the fact that they don't (well, too often) is cause for appreciation.

As for political leaders? I really don't know how hard it'd be for someone with the will and the capability to do something like that. I know many people disliked Bush, and he's still kicking.

Terminate421:

I'm not saying I want him to be but considering the damage he's caused and people are wanting him out of office who knows what could happen.

and people wonder why things like gun control are an issue.

ANYWAY yeah i don't think it wil be a US head of state but i can imagine heads of state in china or the middle east getting caught in all this social unrest stuff.

Andy Shandy:
Obamas, Merkels, Camerons

Merkel and Cameron aren't heads of state ;)

GonvilleBromhead:

Andy Shandy:

Can't speak for Merkel but Cameron might as well be. Assassinating the fucking Queen will have no impact on the political landscape of the country, it'll just depress a shit-ton of Royalists. You need to go after the guy who makes the actual decisions, the Prime Minister.

OT: I don't think we'll see one in the Western countries but in more turbulent countries, like in the Middle East, it wouldn't surprise me.

Though that said, I'm genuinely surprised that some deranged lunatic hasn't taken a shot at Obama yet...

Franky Boyle has an opinion on this subject :p

The way the british government are pushing it, I'll be surprised if a group of people don't try to kill 'em all.

ReservoirAngel:

GonvilleBromhead:

Andy Shandy:

Can't speak for Merkel but Cameron might as well be. Assassinating the fucking Queen will have no impact on the political landscape of the country, it'll just depress a shit-ton of Royalists. You need to go after the guy who makes the actual decisions, the Prime Minister.

OT: I don't think we'll see one in the Western countries but in more turbulent countries, like in the Middle East, it wouldn't surprise me.

Though that said, I'm genuinely surprised that some deranged lunatic hasn't taken a shot at Obama yet...

well didn't the Libyan leader get killed I forgot his name already though so that's practically an assassination

Since attempts still count i'm gonna count the attempt on Ronald Reagan, which was in my Lifetime. About 20 Years after Kennedy.
Also in the eighties was this attempt on Pope Johannes Paul 2. Head of the Vatican State.
While there has been quite some time now, i think it's highly likely that i see another attempt like that in my Lifetime.
A Success in that regard is another Story. The last one was Kennedy and it is quite possible that i'll never see another head of state killed on TV again.

Tilted_Logic:
To be honest, I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. Not just to political people... But anyone in general. In the grand scope of things (at least here in Canada) people seem to have such restraint. Even something as simple as an arsonist. Anytime I pass a forest it makes me realize just how easy it'd be for someone with the will to toss a match or light a fire and watch the blaze.

I am in no way saying I support or feel the urge to do any of this, it just occurs to me how easy it could be for terrible things to happen, and the fact that they don't (well, too often) is cause for appreciation.

As for political leaders? I really don't know how hard it'd be for someone with the will and the capability to do something like that. I know many people disliked Bush, and he's still kicking.

I share your sentiments exactly and, I live in the US where I've been hearing stories recently about people with stockpiles and, bunkers.

Honestly, I'm very surprised nobody tried to assassinate George W. Bush when he was still in office. I was born in 88, when Reagan was still in Office so technically...well no, he was shot before I was born (years and, years before my birth). Anyway, I'm just pointing out that anyone born in 1981 before the shooting will have had an assassination attempt happen in their lifetime.

The problem here of course is the amount of security surrounding heads of states since the JFK assassination and the increased threat of terrorism. The problem these days for would be assassins is when you move around in circles that have extreme anti-government ideas or anything like that, you're probably on a watchlist somewhere..

The most close thing to an assassination on an important political figure in the western world I can remember was the assassination of Pim Fortuyn in the Netherlands, who would probably have become prime minister if he wasn't killed.

I think if you look more closely to the subject a shift has occurred away from assassinations to terrorist acts and maybe riots, protests and occupations of different kinds. Since those are more likely to change public opinion which could lead to a change in power.

It's just like with robberies, when banks heighten security they go for gasstations and when those heighten security they move to moneytransports and so on.

Pat8u:

ReservoirAngel:

GonvilleBromhead:

well didn't the Libyan leader get killed I forgot his name already though so that's practically an assassination

I had forgotton about Gaddafi and I voted no.

Okay, no MORE political leaders will be assasinated in "our time".

Yes. We already have. Gadaffi.

we already did, just a year or so ago that leader , Father of two and loving husband was shot on his knees in his own home in front of his family by a government owned murder squad.
osama something? os was it saddam i cant remember

I remember my mum was convinced Obama was going to get shot by some crazy racist when he was first elected. I imagine security is pretty damn good these days though. For all we know there could have been quite a few assassination attempts that haven't been publicised or made it very far. Kind of like what they say about terrorist attacks.

I'm also surprised these things happen so rarely (thank goodness). I often think how easy it would be for someone in possession of a sniper rifle to take down pretty much anyone making a public appearance. I guess that's what gun control/banning (depending on where you are) is for.

Treblaine:

Heh, I'm not sure "assassination" is the right word for what happened there.

Political cloak and dagger stuff is still perfectly possible, Viktor Yushchenko knows this only too well. That guy is lucky to be alive when someone so clearly wanted him dead.

Tilted_Logic:

Well you could educate yourself on forest fires, the forests of North America NEEDS those fires and the naturally happen from lighting strikes and have had periodic fires for millions of years. Forests need fires every couple decades to clear the small bushes, the large trees survive the fire, but only if there is a small amount of brush. The problem is forest fires have been prevented so well for over a century the brush has built up so thick that any fire would completely destroy all trees from the intensity of large amount of brush burning. Human involvement in trying to prevent fires have meant fires when they DO come will be worse than ever and completely destroy even the large trees, and the fire-fighters cannot prevent.

The "Only you can prevent forest fires" is a lie. No one can prevent lighting strikes which are common over vast areas of forest.

Now forestry services are practising controlled burns through really every couple decades, every forest should have a fire burning the small amount of brush - so low intensity - to clear and leave the trees. But it's arguably too late now. And human interact with the environment in completely different way from pre-Columbian North America.

You couldn't just "burn down a forest" but discarding a match. The forestry services are very good (arguably TOO good) at containing forest fires not by extinguishing the fire but by cutting it off with firewalls in the forest.

And applying this to Political leaders, their security aren't dummies. The President is extremely well protected, in 1963 Kennedy's USSS detail didn't take an precaution for a gunman in a window. Robert Kennedy was assassinated as at the time candidates weren't given Secret Service protection.

The thing is, the type of people who are crazy enough to want to kill a political leader are also so mentally deficient that they cannot outsmart the security. It's like a straight jacket, Houdini said that he didn't make the straight jacket obsolete by how he was able to so easily escape from them because the type of analytical mind needed to escape a straight jacket is precisely the type that would stop you ever end up getting put in one.

Political assassination is not the worry right now, it's relatively easy to protect one man or woman. The problem today is protecting EVERYONE ELSE!

Things like en mass terrorist attacks are harder to prevent and arguably much more devastating than a president who is limited to only 2 terms anyway. Of the thousands of flights every day, Al Qaeda consider it a victory to blow one of them out of the sky and it would truly terrify and intimidate everyone.

Treblaine:
The thing is, the type of people who are crazy enough to want to kill a political leader are also so mentally deficient that they cannot outsmart the security. It's like a straight jacket, Houdini said that he didn't make the straight jacket obsolete by how he was able to so easily escape from them because the type of analytical mind needed to escape a straight jacket is precisely the type that would stop you ever end up getting put in one.

Depends on the leaders. People like the PotUS have massive protection, yeah (though they've learnt that the hard way), not necessarily everyone else. Trying to murder your rulers seesm to be more popular in the US then certain other western states, nobody has even tried to murder an Australian PM, for example (besides Holt conspiracy theories).

Buckingham palace has had a few security scares a while back, where randoms got much furhter in than they should.

I think it's a fairly good bet, granted if I live at least 50 more years. And not that I want anyone specifically to die (actually I do, but let's not name anyone), I think something like that would pass for great entertainment. What are the chances of a politician entering power that's actually worth supporting, anyways.

I don't believe anyone can manage it anymore, but I believe that people will try.
Instead Riots and blowing stuff up is the future of terrorism. I will not be surprised if someone drops a bomb on downing street though.

Sexual Harassment Panda:

Treblaine:

Heh, I'm not sure "assassination" is the right word for what happened there.

Political cloak and dagger stuff is still perfectly possible, Viktor Yushchenko knows this only too well. That guy is lucky to be alive when someone so clearly wanted him dead.

Assassination is simply the murder of an important person. The Transition Council said they didn't want him to be killed, so therefore he was murdered. "cloak and dagger" is no necessary element.

thaluikhain:

Treblaine:

Depends on the leaders. People like the PotUS have massive protection, yeah (though they've learnt that the hard way), not necessarily everyone else. Trying to murder your rulers seesm to be more popular in the US then certain other western states, nobody has even tried to murder an Australian PM, for example (besides Holt conspiracy theories).

Buckingham palace has had a few security scares a while back, where randoms got much furhter in than they should.

Well I do seem to rememberer recently the Australian Prime Minister had to be rushed away from a violent and angry mob who looked like they were about to lynch her?

Royal Family and UK Government have had MANY assassination attempts, mostly from militant Irish republicans. The Queen's uncle was killed and the rest of his close family and friends when his boat was blown up by an IRA bomb. Margaret Thatcher had her closest adviser die in an IRA car-bomb.

Remember, Lee Harvey Oswald was an ardent communist who he had defected to the Soviet Union. Whether he actually was hired as a soviet agent, was somehow encouraged to kill the VERY hawkish US President (Who coined the term "Missile gap" and was more committed than any to opposing Communism with military force) or if it was just a convergence of ideals... it's impossible to say, there is conflicting and unreliable evidence either way. If there was any conspiracy theory in the JFK assassination, the worrying part is how it leads to the Soviet government, not the US Establishment.

Treblaine:
Well I do seem to rememberer recently the Australian Prime Minister had to be rushed away from a violent and angry mob who looked like they were about to lynch her?

Not exactly, there was an angry mob (predominantly Aboriginal) yelling at the leader of the opposition over something racist he said the day or so before, she just happened to be in the same building and had to be hurried out, leaving a shoe behind which was stolen by the mob and put on ebay.

Treblaine:
it's impossible to say, there is conflicting and unreliable evidence either way. If there was any conspiracy theory in the JFK assassination, the worrying part is how it leads to the Soviet government, not the US Establishment.

Eh, I like the one about the conspiracy theories being egged on by the KGB to discredit the US government, only that's far too plausible for a conspiracy theory.

You can have our opposition leader... No seriously, please take him!

Didn't the Pakistani opposition leader get shot and killed a few years ago? She was someone of importance at least, if not the opposition leader.

LooK iTz Jinjo:

Didn't the Pakistani opposition leader get shot and killed a few years ago? She was someone of importance at least, if not the opposition leader.

Her name was Benizer Bhutto. She was one of the most corrupt politicians in the country and her husband and our current president Asif Ali Zardari is much much worse. Our Prime Minister was just ousted yesterday by our Chief Justice for defying Supreme Court orders to write a letter to the Swiss to continue investigation of Zardari's corruption and the next guy Zardari proposed for Prime Minister just received an arrest warrant for involvement in narcotics(he was our health minister).
The Balochistan Chief Minister and another one of Zardari's supporters has said "a degree is a degree weather real or fake", he said this when the educational degrees of several ministers were under scrutiny for being fake(and several were found to be fake).

Don't tell me these kind of people don't deserve to be assassinated.

According to statistics both for assassinations and my remaining lifetime; yes, probably.

Arif_Sohaib:

LooK iTz Jinjo:

Her name was Benizer Bhutto. She was one of the most corrupt politicians in the country and her husband and our current president Asif Ali Zardari is much much worse. Our Prime Minister was just ousted yesterday by our Chief Justice for defying Supreme Court orders to write a letter to the Swiss to continue investigation of Zardari's corruption and the next guy Zardari proposed for Prime Minister just received an arrest warrant for involvement in narcotics(he was our health minister).
The Balochistan Chief Minister and another one of Zardari's supporters has said "a degree is a degree weather real or fake", he said this when the educational degrees of several ministers were under scrutiny for being fake(and several were found to be fake).

Don't tell me these kind of people don't deserve to be assassinated.

People like that don't deserve to die. Maybe get ousted and kicked out the country, but killing them would not really solve anything.

Seriously though? I'm not sure. That's the thing about assassinations, they're usually characterized by their unexpectedness.

I don't know whether they're mentioned already but...
1. Breivik attempted to assassinate the Norwegian prime minister
2. Possible future prime minister Pim Fortuyn was assassinated in the Netherlands, in 2002
3. Didn't the 9/11 hijackers want to fly an airplane into the White House?

A fact often overlooked in this era with the collective memory of a goldfish is that "our lifetime" is quite a while.

In the US already it's hitting a rough average of an assassination every 50 years (4 assassinated presidents, 200 years existence). Throw all the other developed nations into the mix, and I would be genuinely surprised if I don't get to see one.

Pat8u:

ReservoirAngel:

GonvilleBromhead:

Gaddafi, his name was Gaddafi.

As MB said "2011 was not a year to be a bad guy."

Here's hoping it's Bashar Al Asad.

Terminate421:

It's not that he's caused damage it's that he's been completely unable to fix it. But it wouldn't be for anything he's actually done, they'll kill him because he's going to take away our guns and declare himself communist dictator. It honestly amazes me how some people can fool themselves into thinking Obama is even capable of abusing his executive powers: he'd have to realize he's freaking GOT ANY first!

Treblaine:

And applying this to Political leaders, their security aren't dummies.

Political assassination is not the worry right now, it's relatively easy to protect one man or woman. The problem today is protecting EVERYONE ELSE!

While I would agree in principle, that's not allllwayyys true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9_Dallaire

Paranoid schizophrenic (Dallaire) got into the home of prime minister of canada, had to be fought off by the prime minister (or his wife, it's unsure who did the actual fighting) while waiting 7 minutes for security to arrive, because the first officer to arrive had forgotten his key, called his supervisor to find out what to do, and they decided to form a perimiter first instead of entering to ensure safety...lol.

Then three years later a drunk guy was able to wander onto the property as well..

Terminate421:

As a Non-American all I see a man wanting to make some (not all of them) decent changes but is constantly pushed back by a system too ingrained in corruption to change for the better, the end result is even more suffering from the clash of interests of the people vs interests of the profit.

Corporate lobbying is legal bribing and the MOST dangerous thing to your country to me, you people hardly get a say in the matter in most Legislation decisions.
Land of the FREE my ass

Killing him wont change a thing only make it WORSE with the global and State wide panic this would cause. you should have made this poll about DICTATORS that could be be assassinated instead

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked