Stupid things you hate about countries

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

This thought just popped into my head, but what are some stupid, insignificant things that you hate about countries?

For me, it's France and bread. Sweet-jesus-christ do those bastards love their bread. I've been to France three times, and every time I have visited I have lost massive amounts of weight.

I'm not addicted to meat or anything, but they ONLY EAT BREAD.

Also they close small cafes and the like at lunch time for a break. I mean, what gives?

And the weird things is, French bread isn't even that good. I'm not gonna say no to the occasional baguette, but there's so much more bread out there. Come over to Switzerland, and we'll show you some GOOD bread! ;)

Alright, my own complaint. What the fuck is it with Italians and punctuality? I know lots of Italians and a few of them are good buddies of mine, but it's like the bastards have never even heard of clocks. I have never known an Italian who can reliably show up, on time, anywhere. And they just don't even seem to get that it's kind of inconsiderate when they ask you to wait for them somewhere, with nothing to do but twirl your thumbs, and they show up 20 minutes later. And then they give you an excuse like: "I know, but I was eating this really good salad, and just couldn't stop!" And I'm not even making this up, that's what he said. *Sigh* Italians.

I'm going to have a crack at my home country. Why is Australia so against multiculturalism? Some people like it but some people have vast hatred with people from other countries. Why? It's not like they're invading or anything.

Oh wait you mean small, insignificant things. Well then, I really don't like how Brazil makes you wear speedos to a beach.

Vanitas likes Bubbles:
I'm going to have a crack at my home country. Why is Australia so against multiculturalism? Some people like it but some people have vast hatred with people from other countries. Why? It's not like they're invading or anything.

Oh wait you mean small, insignificant things. Well then, I really don't like how Brazil makes you wear speedos to a beach.

haha..thats funny..I saw an online add for a show on ABC called "drunk, dumb and rasict" or somthing

but yeah...we are "kinda" racist...not KKK levels but theres a little bit there

You know how there are a ton of jokes to be had about British dentistry? Those guy LOVE their sweets! Go anywhere in London, and you're probably a 10 minute walk from a shop filled to the ceiling with chocolates and candies and crap that uses sugar like Italians use olive oil and tomatoes.

And now, the obligatory in-the-interest-of-fairness bashing of my own dear USofA. We have a lot of bat-shit insane people in politics with way more power than I'm comfortable with. Oh, and it's even odds they're taking money from some interest group or another. Oil, coal, whatever.

My petty problem with the USA: I can't stand Southern accents. They annoy the hell out of me.

Tea really isn't that good. But the amount people drink here in the UK is ridiculous, you'd think it was free alcohol or something, when it actually just tastes like watered-down water.

Most Norwegian dialects are very different (and very annoying). I still can't understand most of them, they sound like complete gibberish.

Fat_Hippo:
Alright, my own complaint. What the fuck is it with Italians and punctuality? I know lots of Italians and a few of them are good buddies of mine, but it's like the bastards have never even heard of clocks. I have never known an Italian who can reliably show up, on time, anywhere. And they just don't even seem to get that it's kind of inconsiderate when they ask you to wait for them somewhere, with nothing to do but twirl your thumbs, and they show up 20 minutes later. And then they give you an excuse like: "I know, but I was eating this really good salad, and just couldn't stop!" And I'm not even making this up, that's what he said. *Sigh* Italians.

I'm with you 100% of the way. If you ever want to do something with Italian friends always tell them half an hour earlier and then maybe, maaaaaaybe they'll be on time. Although I've also never come across a flakier nation either - half the time people just don't turn up at all and ring you 3 hours later with a 'dog ate my homework' style excuse. I live/work in Italy and making any serious, concrete plans with anyone is completely futile!

OT Mine's a continent-wide annoyance. Why can no one outside of the UK queue properly? Italy, Scandanavia, all the countries I've visited/lived in have some serious queuing problems. They'll push right in front of you without batting an eyelid. I just can't understand how hard-faced you'd have to be to do that! And when they're forced to queue (like at an airport for instance) they have NO concept of personal space. The amount of times I've been in a slow moving queue and the people behind me have stood so close they're actually touching me is unbelievable. Eugh!

Hollyday:

Fat_Hippo:

I'm with you 100% of the way. If you ever want to do something with Italian friends always tell them half an hour earlier and then maybe, maaaaaaybe they'll be on time. Although I've also never come across a flakier nation either - half the time people just don't turn up at all and ring you 3 hours later with a 'dog ate my homework' style excuse. I live/work in Italy and making any serious, concrete plans with anyone is completely futile!

OT Mine's a continent-wide annoyance. Why can no one outside of the UK queue properly? Italy, Scandanavia, all the countries I've visited/lived in have some serious queuing problems. They'll push right in front of you without batting an eyelid. I just can't understand how hard-faced you'd have to be to do that! And when they're forced to queue (like at an airport for instance) they have NO concept of personal space. The amount of times I've been in a slow moving queue and the people behind me have stood so close they're actually touching me is unbelievable. Eugh!

Oh my god this as well. I was in some Italian train station and these damn European tourists kept ramming me against the wall. Had to push back to be able to stand.

Mafoobula:
You know how there are a ton of jokes to be had about British dentistry? Those guy LOVE their sweets! Go anywhere in London, and you're probably a 10 minute walk from a shop filled to the ceiling with chocolates and candies and crap that uses sugar like Italians use olive oil and tomatoes.

And now, the obligatory in-the-interest-of-fairness bashing of my own dear USofA. We have a lot of bat-shit insane people in politics with way more power than I'm comfortable with. Oh, and it's even odds they're taking money from some interest group or another. Oil, coal, whatever.

Actually that's a stereotype.

We actually have some of the best dentistry in the world believe it or not. Mainly because most dentists are usually free on the NHS.

And sweet shops...where are those, I've never seen any, especially nowadays. You can't even find a shop around here with those huge jars of sweets anymore, like when I used to be a young lad.

I remember back in the day, when I bought a hundred cola bottles for a quid, and it made my whole week, getting them. *Shakes Stick*

Hmmm, since people have started bashing their own countries now, in the interest of fairness, I should probably bash my own nation.

The Swiss have no fucking fantasy whatsoever. Almost everyone I know thinks fantasy and science fiction are stupid. One guy I know even told me, that if something magical happens in almost any story, it ruins it for him. People are so goddamn hung up on realism over here, it's absurd. For a huge fantasy geek like myself, that is just plain boring. Of course, this isn't true for everyone, but it seems like the majority of the population denies all unrealistic fiction, aside from the big properties, like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, for reasons I still don't understand.

Also, they're obsessed with names. I have an absolutely terrible memory for this sort of thing, but people often greet each other by saying the other persons name, and every time you have to greet some acquaintance, it's like some sort of goddamn test, whether you can remember their name or not. The end result is, that loads of people know my name, whereas I haven't got the foggiest idea what all these people are called. Of course, it isn't as if I care about most of these people, but it can still get kind of annoying.

My problem is extremely petty, and probably dumb to a lot of people. I hate the obsession women here have with shaving. I see crap on TV all the time about "UNSIGHTLY HAIR" and such. Dammit, I like that sight. <-<

Not going to touch other countries because any observations I make would be souly based on people from those countries visiting my own, however...

Here in the US, specifically Florida, there sure are a lot of old people, we should be renamed from the "Sunshine State" to the "Retirement State" and they can't drive.

Americans: Stop putting stupid people in charge of your country.

Esotera:
Tea really isn't that good. But the amount people drink here in the UK is ridiculous, you'd think it was free alcohol or something, when it actually just tastes like watered-down water.

Heathen... Retract that statement now!! :P

OT: I hate that the UK and the US are 2 countries seperated by a common language...

Seriously... Australia speak the same as us in the UK, and have very similar terms for things! However the US seem to rename/respell things for the sake of renaming/respelling them! Some of it is just stupid! Like 'biscuit'... seriously!? And Aluminium/Aluminum... Why!?

I'm just gonna say this about the US: I hate the loud, fat, stupid minority that gives the rest of us a bad name.

Elementary - Dear Watson:
Seriously... Australia speak the same as us in the UK, and have very similar terms for things! However the US seem to rename/respell things for the sake of renaming/respelling them! Some of it is just stupid! Like 'biscuit'... seriously!? And Aluminium/Aluminum... Why!?

IIRC, the US formalised using "aluminum" before the UK/etc formalised "aluminium".

And, in defence of the US, they never had that "milliard" thing.

Esotera:

Heathen... Retract that statement now!! :P

OT: I hate that the UK and the US are 2 countries seperated by a common language...

Aluminum was actually the original name for the element, but it wasn't deemed 'Latin enough' by us British so we changed it to Aluminium, and everyone thinks it's the Americans' fault. A major victory for the English language really.

I'll retract the statement but it's still disgusting to me :P

thaluikhain:

IIRC, the US formalised using "aluminum" before the UK/etc formalised "aluminium".

And, in defence of the US, they never had that "milliard" thing.

Haha! I forgot to indicate that my little outburst was a deliberate sarcastic thing... it's annoying as hell trying to work as a coalition with folks from accross the pond, but I understand it's not just the US's fault, we are just as bad at naming things differently!

But fair play for you sticking up for the US! :P

There is a staggering amount of litter in Guatemala ruining what would be a gorgeous landscape.

It's because there's no public trash collection system, so if you want to not litter you have to drive all your trash down to wherever it's disposed of yourself. Also, there's no public trash receptacles where you can idly dump trash while walking down the street.

But the result is garbage strewn all over the ground, everywhere, especially the highways. It's awful.

Fat_Hippo:
Hmmm, since people have started bashing their own countries now, in the interest of fairness, I should probably bash my own nation.

The Swiss have no fucking fantasy whatsoever. Almost everyone I know thinks fantasy and science fiction are stupid. One guy I know even told me, that if something magical happens in almost any story, it ruins it for him. People are so goddamn hung up on realism over here, it's absurd. For a huge fantasy geek like myself, that is just plain boring. Of course, this isn't true for everyone, but it seems like the majority of the population denies all unrealistic fiction, aside from the big properties, like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, for reasons I still don't understand.

Also, they're obsessed with names. I have an absolutely terrible memory for this sort of thing, but people often greet each other by saying the other persons name, and every time you have to greet some acquaintance, it's like some sort of goddamn test, whether you can remember their name or not. The end result is, that loads of people know my name, whereas I haven't got the foggiest idea what all these people are called. Of course, it isn't as if I care about most of these people, but it can still get kind of annoying.

Yeah, you're right with the names. Its kinda horrible if you have such a bad memory for names like I have.

Italian bread's the best.

Anyways, I don't like the ignored racism in Australia. It is rife, but our politicians just sigh and exhort our 'multicultural society' as if we're a bunch of understanding grandmas. I've seen more acceptance in a Beijing slum than a Melbourne shopping avenue.

This. The thing that really grinds my gears is when they arbitrarily replace an 's' with a 'z' on certain words such as 'globalization' it just looks bloody stupid. >.< And Japan, your flag does not look like a rising sun, it's just a big red dot and it's dumb. >:I

I love Americans but some of them do like to pronounce all their sentances like a question?

It makes me want to set fire to their genitals?

Ickorus:

well cant really say that from a country who gave boris johnson power :P ( i know he isnt anything more than a mayor but still...)
EDIT: i suppose ill go with my own, why the neds scotland.... why?

hmmmm lets see my country is holland how can i make fun of that oh yea

TO ALL YOU TOURISTS OUR COUNTRY IS NOT JUST AMSTERDAM I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO SMOKE WEED BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO

maybe that came out wrong sorry

well time to bash ye olde motherland hm? Denmark, why cant you play football? why are your politics so weird? Why do ben and jerry have to cost 60 kr?! (10 dollars) and how come a little 3rd grader can reference anything on the internet, WITH HIS IPHONE! and not know where bornholm is. (a island outside Sweden)

Denmark happiest place on earth, bah! Most exspensive and non-cultural? yep.

wgmovies:
hmmmm lets see my country is holland how can i make fun of that oh yea

TO ALL YOU TOURISTS OUR COUNTRY IS NOT JUST AMSTERDAM I UNDERSTAND YOU WANT TO SMOKE WEED BUT THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO

maybe that came out wrong sorry

Don't you want to keep all the pissed up English stumbling around shouting "LADS ON TOUR!" in a confined area though?

All of US politics.
You can discuss politics all you like, but in the end that stuff is broken. Lobbying, tribalism and the two party system...
Not that politics are all that great in other countries, but the stuff in the US is just out of hand.

I used to wonder why the American people who, individually, are in general great people keep electing these fucknuggets.
And why the republican party has any following at all is beyond me.
But I have slowly come to realize that the reason the politics don't reflect the actual people of the country is that the people don't actually choose their policies. It's all an illusion.

As for my own country: Taxes on cars are just obscene. If you want to buy a new car, you'll need to take up a loan.
And if you want a sports car of any sort you need to be a millionaire or pawn your house.

kaziard:

Ickorus:

well cant really say that from a country who gave boris johnson power :P ( i know he isnt anything more than a mayor but still...)
EDIT: i suppose ill go with my own, why the neds scotland.... why?

Ok, I'll concede your point.

English people: Stop putting stupid people in charge of your cities!

the devaluation of the word hate is a bit disturbing. There are perfectly good alternatives like "don't get" or "consider strange". To discribe a nations oddity.

I really think we should reserve hate for Genocidal maniacs, rapists and the color green.

As for the OP. The only real gripe I have with some other nations is those that don't use the metric system. How are we going to explain to the aliens that in the time of the internet and international cooperation we are to caught up in traditions and stuborness to use 1 system. SI being Scientifically logical.

Ickorus:

We are trying! Truly we are. The sad thing is: most of us somewhat decent and somewhat smart Americans are only a very tiny Minority among the sea of dumbasses.

OT: America, why you so dumb?

Fat_Hippo:
And the weird things is, French bread isn't even that good. I'm not gonna say no to the occasional baguette, but there's so much more bread out there. Come over to Switzerland, and we'll show you some GOOD bread! ;)

That's not Italians. That's Mediterranean tradition. If you want an Italian to show up on time, invite him an hour too early. two hours if the event is important.

For me it's the French too. Crazy fucks banning ketchup from schools.
I won't bash my own country because I can't think of anything insignificant among all the major screw-ups we have.

Belgium and their tea. It tastes foul, really foul. They're only a ferry ride away, they should have good tea, but no, I had to drink coffee because the tea was that bad.

UK, most people are asshats, but that probably applies to nearly every country. Growing up in the nice area of the UK, moving to a city was a crappy experience for me, everyone is a douchebag, EVERYONE.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked