11.7% (17)
11.7% (17)
Ocean
16.6% (24)
16.6% (24)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Where do you prefer to swim?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Pretty simple question. I came up with it while talking to my friend about going to the pool. We live near a river and he wanted to go there, whereas I find the very thought of swimming in a river to be disgusting. He couldn't stand going to the pool because he stated that children would pee in the pool and such.

So, how about you, fellow escapists?

Tell him that between both the water life and the land animals that pass by, hundreds of kids would have to urinate in the pool on the same day to get anywhere near the same level of excretions found in natural bodies of water.

I'm not a big fan of swimming, but I also don't really care where I do it. Except for rivers, there tends to be just enough danger involved that I can't really enjoy myself.

Why, in my pile of money of course! But since that option is lacking, I prefer the pool. They are getting filtered all the time, you know. It depends on the river, but I doubt it will be much cleaner than a pool.

Urine is reasonably sterile. It's "gross" to think about, but it's not going to cause you any harm, especially in an appropriately chlorinated pool.

Rivers on the other hand? Way more real health risks: rocks, currents, and if it's a popular "swimming hole", intestinal parasites. For me it's: Pools > Seas/Bays/etc > Lakes > Rivers > Oceans.

I rather like rivers and the ocean, honestly. I guess if I had to choose one I'd choose the river, just because the ones in my area tend to be of a more reasonable temperature than the ocean. And the rivers around here tend to consist mostly of rocks and only some mud, rather than all sand with oceans. Sand just gets everywhere :-\ And you can't kayak on the ocean (well, not easily).

Swimming pools. I hate sea water and there's no way in hell I'm gonna go swimming in a river. Too dangerous

I've swam in rivers and lakes before and I think they're way better than pools.

The best is to jump off of a ledge into the deep end of a lake, super fun.

Also, not a fan of the ocean, it's scary to me.

Heronblade:
Tell him that between both the water life and the land animals that pass by, hundreds of kids would have to urinate in the pool on the same day to get anywhere near the same level of excretions found in natural bodies of water.

I'm not a big fan of swimming, but I also don't really care where I do it. Except for rivers, there tends to be just enough danger involved that I can't really enjoy myself.

Don't think I didn't try. He claimed that it was natural for a river to be like that and therefore not as bad. >.>

I prefer pools, simply because the water is cleaner. After that is oceans, but I really don't do much swimming in them. Skiing, tubing, maybe learning to surf one day, sure. But not just swimming.

I hate being in the water. I blame the fact that my father took me to the ocean for the first time when I was 9, and rented Jaws for us the night before we went out. To this day, I get nervous if I spend too much time in the water without doing something. Get the boat going, I want to be up on my skis.

Aris Khandr:
Get the boat going, I want to be up on my skis.

Doesn't Jaws eat someone who's water skiing in one of them? I want to say it's in Jaws 3-D.

Dags90:

Aris Khandr:
Get the boat going, I want to be up on my skis.

Doesn't Jaws eat someone who's water skiing in one of them? I want to say it's in Jaws 3-D.

Haven't seen them, don't want to see them. If the movie is scary in any way, I say no. So yeah, that one encounter with the first Jaws was quite enough for me for forever.

The ocean for leisure, but nothing quite beats a pool for exercise, as you don't have to worry about currents, drowning, or getting hypothermia. I do prefer swimming outdoors though, so I suppose outdoor pools are pretty godly.

I like to swim in a pool, but only when it isn't crowded. That's why I tend to go to the pool in the morning and get a few laps in. Also, I have family that own pools, so any chance I get to visit them, I do.

I also tend to go to the ocean to swim, but it's not as convenient as a pool. Well, at least I can see underwater and salt water doesn't irritate my eyes anymore.

I prefer to swim at night in a private pool...naked and with my significant other. :3

out of those id say the pool... you dont have to deal with riptides and stuff in a pool ... makes things a lot more calm and also pools can be HEATED! :D

Some nice lake somewhere. I'm a human, not a fragile biorobot thing that must stick to sterile, filtered enviroments to survive. Yes, there will be piss (and poop) somewhere in the lake, but... Meh, won't notice it. It just feels better, somehow. Plus, fishies. Pools can get quite lonely at times.

But then again, I do live in an area where the natural lakes and rivers are reasonably free of pollution and chemical spills, which is a bit of a luxury. About the only real danger is drowning (not very likely) or some idiot leaving glass around on the bottom. But if you just keep an eye out, it's not really a more dangerous scenario than, say, slipping on wet tiles by a pool.

Of course, the perk with a pool is that I can swim in it all year round. They've certainly got their place.

Edit: Plus, can you really argue with the scenery?

I prefer not to swim if possible, but if forced, I'd choose a pool. I like to see the bottom of the water I'm swimming in. Also, I like the smell of chlorinated water.

I prefer the pool. The two major lakes around here are always far, far too crowded (and the Great Salt Lake is saltier than the ocean, yuck!), and 3/5 of the crowd is boats and jetskis, which make swimming suck. And all the rivers are used for irrigation, so yeah...I'm not going swimming in that.

Muspelheim:
Edit: Plus, can you really argue with the scenery?

Well, yes. Namely, given the bareness of the non evergreens, it looks to be early spring in that picture. Not very inviting.

Esotera:
The ocean for leisure, but nothing quite beats a pool for exercise, as you don't have to worry about currents, drowning, or getting hypothermia. I do prefer swimming outdoors though, so I suppose outdoor pools are pretty godly.

You can get hypothermia in unheated pools just like any other body of water if you're in it long enough. Kids are especially prone to it.

The ocean, mainly because I can walk there from my barracks room, also some mild Atlantic waves provide a nice little challenge.

I prefer not to swim anywhere, sharks are always a threat whether it be a pool or ocean or anything in between.

Dags90:

Well, yes. Namely, given the bareness of the non evergreens, it looks to be early spring in that picture. Not very inviting.

Point, I suppose. But at least you can fish in it, until summer arrives.

A pool.
I don't want to be stung by a jellyfish in the sea and lakes are generally pretty cold =[
and who goes swimming in a river? that seems pretty dangerous aswell

Ilikemilkshake:
A pool.
I don't want to be stung by a jellyfish in the sea and lakes are generally pretty cold =[

Because after swimming in a river you can get free food from it.

Freshly cooked fish is awesome! :D

Pool, I would say ocean but I mostly just bogey-board rather than swim cause to me it gets a little to dangerous for my comfort.

I hate the ocean and i hate public pools, so if it's a friend's pool then i'm okay with it. Other than that i never swim anywhere else. Though it was cool petting wild manatees with my feet. Very, very, soft skin.

Giant bodies of semen.

I don't know, swimming pools? where it's clean?

Lake > Pool > Ocean

The ocean is not my friend due to almost drowning in it once... Lakes are just impossible to compare to during the hottest months here and you can't catch fish in pools. Pools are good just for the sensation of swimming, not much else. The only reason they stand out at all is because of water slides or wave generators. Still like lakes better.

Ilikemilkshake:
A pool.

The river near me actually has jellyfish in it, we're apparently close enough to the ocean to where they migrate to the river. It baffles when I see people drive past the pool down to the river and go swimming in it.

If its a lovely blue/tannic brown and somewhat clear, i have no qualms swimming in it.

Waikato river? Yay

Thames/yangtze? Nay

Definitely lakes followed by seas and then pools. I like the cool temperature of lakes and being there usually means I'm hanging out with friends at a cottage, drinking next to a fire on the beach and having a good time. I enjoy the seas (like the Caribbean) for that near pristine water and warm sand. And finally, the pool is great for a quick dip to cool off during a warm summer day when I'm nowhere near a lake or sea.

I live in Ontario, Canada, so it's a fresh water lake to swim in, the beaches here are great :D.

OT:
I prefer pools, I'm not a fantastic swimmer and I feel safer knowing there's an edge I can swim to if I feel exhausted.

I love to swim in the ocean but I swim for exercise the majority of the time so..pool..early in the morning before all the little brats get there.

Pool? Check

River? Check

Lake? Check

Ocean? Sharks

Well I'm from Florida so there's nowhere where you aren't 10 minutes from the water so...

Yeah I like to go to the beach, doesn't mean I like swimming at the beach. Yes, there's a difference. When you go to the beach, %90 of the time even if your in the water you're not even swimming, you usually are playing in the waves, or the sand, or sports.

So in terms of swimming, a good lake is a lot of fun to actually swim in, pools are crowded and rivers are unpredictable.

I vote lake, though I like going to the beach more.

Edit: I just went camping in the heart of Texan wilderness for a week and all we did was swim in muddy lakes and rivers so I'm a little biased now :P

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked