Low dialogue when I watch blu rays on my PS3

When I watch a blu ray on my PS3 the dialogue is really quiet and I have to turn the volume up but when it gets to an action scene it's far too loud and I have to turn it down. Anyone know what the problem is?

My PS3 is connected via HDMI and my TV is only outputting in stereo through some PC speakers connected to the headphone jack. All settings on my TV are normal and the PS3 is saying the sound output is 2 channel Linear PCM through HDMI.

Thanks for your help :)

Hazy992:
When I watch a blu ray on my PS3 the dialogue is really quiet and I have to turn the volume up but when it gets to an action scene it's far too loud and I have to turn it down. Anyone know what the problem is?

My PS3 is connected via HDMI and my TV is only outputting in stereo through some PC speakers connected to the headphone jack. All settings on my TV are normal and the PS3 is saying the sound output is 2 channel Linear PCM through HDMI.

I think it's just an issue with films in general, I hear about this issue all the time.

I saw that you can fix it using VLC as shown here.

Does the PS3 have an equaliser or something like it where you can do this on it?

Matthew94:

Hazy992:

I think it's just an issue with films in general, I hear about this issue all the time.

Does the PS3 have an equaliser or something like it where you can do this on it?

There's dynamic range control but I think it's just 'on' 'off' or 'automatic'.

Hazy992:

Matthew94:

Hazy992:

I would suggest "automatic". Why, you may ask? Because it does it for you, you just rely on the placebo effect.

:/

AKA, not much else I can say... Sorry

Matthew94:

Hazy992:

Matthew94:

I would suggest "automatic". Why, you may ask? Because it does it for you, you just rely on the placebo effect.

No worries, thanks for your help though :)

It's a pain in the ass, I pretty much can't watch blu rays at night because of it :/

Hazy992:

Matthew94:

Hazy992:

It's a pain in the ass, I pretty much can't watch blu rays at night because of it :/

Well having the dynamic range set to ON should do more to balance the difference between high and low volume sounds. But to be fair, it's just a pain in the ass we all suffer when using uncompressed (or near uncompressed) audio formats. My amplifier has a "night mode" to try and combat this problem but not to much avail. It certainly wasn't designed to cope with constant gun fire and explosions, such are the sounds that frequent my late night sessions...

PC speakers through the headphone jack also isn't the best way to make the sound better (Though I've done it in the past). It's likely to make the problem worse, especially if that pc speaker set up uses a sub unit. You might be better off acquiring a comfortable pair of decent headphones to use at night.

Raven's Nest:

Hazy992:

Matthew94:

Well having the dynamic range set to ON should do more to balance the difference between high and low volume sounds. But to be fair, it's just a pain in the ass we all suffer when using uncompressed (or near uncompressed) audio formats. My amplifier has a "night mode" to try and combat this problem but not to much avail. It certainly wasn't designed to cope with constant gun fire and explosions, such are the sounds that frequent my late night sessions...

PC speakers through the headphone jack also isn't the best way to make the sound better (Though I've done it in the past). It's likely to make the problem worse, especially if that pc speaker set up uses a sub unit. You might be better off acquiring a comfortable pair of decent headphones to use at night.

I got the PC speakers because the regular speakers in the TV are even worse. They work well for the most part, it's just blu rays I have a problem with.

You're right though I might be best off investing in some decent headphones are a surround system.

Clearly your PS3 is just trying to tell you that you need to be a more attentive conversationalist.

Hazy992:
I got the PC speakers because the regular speakers in the TV are even worse. They work well for the most part, it's just blu rays I have a problem with.

You're right though I might be best off investing in some decent headphones are a surround system.

Yeah it's the same reason I used them. It is much better for daytime viewing but it is also the reason you are suffering now. Even a high end surround system like mine is difficult to watch without diving for the remote every three minutes...

Pick up a pair of studio quality headphones and it should sort the problem out. Plus it'll be as loud as you want need without earning the wrath of housemates/family/neighbours.

Raven's Nest:

Hazy992:

Yeah it's the same reason I used them. It is much better for daytime viewing but it is also the reason you are suffering now. Even a high end surround system like mine is difficult to watch without diving for the remote every three minutes...

Pick up a pair of studio quality headphones and it should sort the problem out. Plus it'll be as loud as you want need without earning the wrath of housemates/family/neighbours.

Thanks for your help :) Got any you'd recommend?

Hazy992:

Erm, depends on how deep your pockets are?

Raven's Nest:

Hazy992:

I dunno, between 30 and 50? I could maybe go a bit over if I hang on a bit

Hazy992:

Raven's Nest:

Hazy992:

I dunno, between 30 and 50? I could maybe go a bit over if I hang on a bit

Check out some over ear headphones by Sennheiser, Bose, Sony, Pioneer.

Don't go for fashion labels like skullcandy and the "budget" brands like phillips, panasonic etc will only lead to disappointment.

Personally I went with a pair of AKG's which are professional studio cans (I worked in a studio at the time), cost me around 150 back in the days when I had too much money but they've served me well indeed over the last 6 years.

If I were in the market again, I wouldn't spend less than 100, you really get what you pay for. 70's worth will get you a very nice sounding, comfortable pair of headphones that'll suit music, films and games.

For example,

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=headphones&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=imvnsr&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1517&bih=714&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6675775737166474487&sa=X&ei=82rqT6_uPK3Y0QXbxY29BQ&ved=0CLwBEPMCMAk

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=sennheiser+headphones+hd&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1517&bih=714&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13501415588705821042&sa=X&ei=m2zqT9viJsql0QXgkITzBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAA

If I had my way I'd fork out for these bad boys...

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=bose+headphones&hl=en&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1517&bih=714&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6518148176514903341&sa=X&ei=CW3qT6DpMaqV0QX2hJTOBQ&ved=0CG4Q8wIwAzgK

Raven's Nest:
snip

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Hazy992:

Raven's Nest:
snip

No worries dude. I should also add, if you are spending a good chunk of your income on headphones, make sure you try them in-store first. There's no point buying a pair that sound awful when used for anything other than music. So get them out of the box in the store and ask for them to be plugged into a TV with a blu-ray source going through it. Any electrical goods store that won't let you do this isn't worth buying from.

Also also, proper headphones need a couple of hours of listening to settle in. After which they will sound better.

I wish you good fortune in your audio quest.

Raven's Nest:

Hazy992:

Raven's Nest:
snip

No worries dude. I should also add, if you are spending a good chunk of your income on headphones, make sure you try them in-store first. There's no point buying a pair that sound awful when used for anything other than music. So get them out of the box in the store and ask for them to be plugged into a TV with a blu-ray source going through it. Any electrical goods store that won't let you do this isn't worth buying from.

Also also, proper headphones need a couple of hours of listening to settle in. After which they will sound better.

I wish you good fortune in your audio quest.

Yeah thanks for the advice :D

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked