Do you like your name?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Both my first and last name are super common. I used to hate it when I was younger, but I don't see the point anymore.

I also like my name because I was named after my grandfather and every generation in my family has one member that has my name.

My first name is Spanish for 'aunt'. I hate it. I just hate the way it sounds.

My middle names are alright, though.

Tobe.

Spelled with an "e" it means something religious, but spelled "Toby" Its a fat happy man on a beer stein.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
Daniel. Not really a big fan of it, and it's really common.

I know right~? It's not even delightfully common, just common! I wish I had a longer and more pretentious name like 'Raphael' or even 'Demetri'. Though in real life most people call me by my last name anyway, which sounds authoritative and fancier.

Still, this guy made me feel better:

geK0:
Daniel

It's not a bad name; "dan" is nice and concise, while "danny" sounds cute coming from a girlfriend. It supposedly means "God is my judge" in Hebrew, which sort of fits an ideal that is very important to me, that is to not judge others regardless of how much you disapprove with their actions (Only God, if he even exists, should : \).

It's not the best name I could hope for, but it's certainly not one to complain about.

With the right accent 'Danni Boi' is good fun.

Captcha: patty cake

Nicholas.

Nick for casual, Nicholas for formal. Both sound good and are pretty memorable. Nikovitch or Nikolai for funsies. I like it, but it is a bit common.

Pfft. I absolutely love my name. garen, the only one i've ever met. besides the LoL character of course....

Joe is pretty cool, seeing as I'm an average Joe, but my extended name is Josiah. Don't really mind, kinda cool having a name no-one else I know has.

If I have a son, I wanna name it Isaac - Partly because it means 'Laughter', but mostly because I have become a little Obsessed with The Binding of Isaac flash game. He's such a cool little guy :o

Well, technically my name is James, which I hate to be honest... I feel it doesn't suit me at all for some reason.

However, EVERY person that know's me refers to me as Jamie, which I LOVE! Funnily enough, I was originally going to be named Jamie when I was born, but my parents were worried I wouldn't like it and named me James instead...

Eclpsedragon:

hulksmashley:
I despise it. My mother chose it by looking at the list of the most popular baby names and picking the one at the top.

You understand my pain fellow person named Ashley...

Oh God, imagine someone doing that nowadays. "So I looked at the top ten list for boys and girls names. If it's a boy, Hunter. If it's a girl, Laquisha!"

At risk of generalization, when it comes to half-arsed parents (possibly the ones who see their kid as a fashion accessory) it seems they try to compensate for their lack of effort raising the little sprog by giving it the most over the top/fancy-pants name ever.

As such, a lot of once "posh" names I find to be more associated with complete shits.

Xaio. I mean, what the hell were my parents thinking?

Three things usually happen when I present my name:
Scenario 1: They laugh since it is similar to the Chinese girl name Xiao.
Scenario 2: They accept it fine but repeatedly misspells it Xiao anyways.
Scenario 3: They never miss an opportunity to compare me with the stickfigure Xiao Xiao.

Majere, however, I can live with. Raistlin and Caramon are pretty badass.

My name is Alan, and I don't have a problem with it. People tend to spell it Allen or Allan though, which doesn't bother me too much, unless it's for something important like a bank account or medical forms. I HATE when people call me Al though.

Mr.Tea:
snip for being oh so right

Shit. I knew I was forgetting something.

Matthew. Apparently means "Gift of God." I'm not particularly fond of the biblical connection, but as it is the first gift my parents ever gave me I sure wouldn't change it for anything.

My last name is stupid, it's Small and I'm 6'4"... Oh how people at school were so witty...

George. Farmer in Greek.

I feel incredibly common.

w9496:
The only time I dislike my name is when people call me Bill. I will never understand why Bill is short for William.

Mostly from the root, largely because of the Old German pronunciation of 'vil-halm' (lit. will to protect, or something along those lines). Clipped 'v' sound almost resembling a 'b' so the English derivative name has always had the diminumative form 'Bill'. What confuses a lot of people is when I call 'William'(s) I know 'Guy'...

What I don't get is how 'Robert' shortens to 'Bob'... o_O'

Trucken:
So, yeah. Johnny rules.

Maybe, but which pronunciation of 'j' is it said with? If it's the Germanic 'j' then... 'yonny'?! o_O'

thespyisdead:
how that got transmuted into a male given name is beyond me

You got the slavic version of the original male version of the name 'Demetrius' (or rather 'Demetrios'). The only Dimitry I knew just kept losing his head when people called him 'Dimmy'...

Daverson:
I like my first name. Hell

That's honestly how I read your post at first glance... your name is 'Hell'?!

*sigh* Still, unfortunately for us chaps, 'Hel' is a girl's name...

Xaio30:

*is confused* ... how do you write that? That can't be a single character... can it? Bear in mind I'm HK Chinese so (for the benefit of the non-Chinese reading this) the Cantonese reading may be completely different.

OT: Depends what language you ask me in...

In English, eh, it's OK, it's definitely uncommon.

In Chinese, eh, it's OK, though I care more for its meaning than the actual name, 'cos it doesn't have much of a 'ring' to it.

In Japanese, eh, it's OK, doesn't really roll off the tongue naturally unfortunately, but I suppose that's a side effect of having a Chinese name pronounced in Japanese. (and for one reason or another, the idea of girls saying 'Ken-chan' to me is tremendously irksome.)

So, OK, doesn't really depend on the language after all... -_-

Niall, it's a good name, serves it's purpose well for being somewhat distinctive and inherently relevant to my nationality. The original Irish language meaning was supposedly champion though that has limited resonance with me unfortunately.

Like me first name and middle name but I don't like me last name, for some reason I just hate names that begin with the letter E, just doesn't seem right plus its Welsh. =P

Well, my name is officially Tom, but I would prefer to be called Thomas, sounds more fancy.
And Eduard is a pretty nice name too. And having two name days kicks ass.

My last name on the other hand has an Arabic ring to it, which I like allot. So I am satisfied.

Jakob

Well, other than the fact that everybody writes my name as Jacob , I really like my name. It's not too common, but it still is a very nice name.

Xaio30:

Scenario 3: They never miss an opportunity to compare me with the stickfigure Xiao Xiao.

How does it feel to share a name with this character?

so cute ^_^

Lyndsey.

I could never find those trinkets with your name on them that had that spelling. It's been tough.

I like my name, but you'd be surprised how many variations there are for Katherine, it really gets annoying when people continually spell my name wrong

Vanessa.

It's alright. I wasn't a big fan of it while growing up, but I've gotten used to it.

Ryan
eh its a pretty cool name i like it except for the fact i have a slight lisp when pronouncing R's so its actually kind of difficult for me to say my own name

First name Jack. It's okay. Middle name Alex, at least that's what I tell people, but apparently they were going for Alexander. That's my Grandad's middle name. That would never fit him, or me.

My name is Marcel.

It'S a common name in Germany, at least it was in the '80 when hebrew and latin influenced names were very popular (Today it's anglosaxon names that are trending leading to a phenomenon called "Kevinismus" that makes a lot of Germans cringe.)

I'm okay with my name. It's not too common, not too obscure and short enough that I don't need a short form of it.

Just the meaning is a bit silly: Devoted to the god of war. o_0

I like Adam because I don't have any friends called Adam, and none of them can think of a good nick-name for it, their best attempt was "Ad" which is lazy, everyone else calls me Gow. I call my twin Dan, Danny, Danny-Boy, Dan-Dan-Danny, Dandini, Danathor, but not Daniel, his actual name, which is also the only one which doesn't annoy him, but no-one calls him that anyway.

It's Derek and I like it, but there are quite a few other names that I like better.

The meaning isn't all that bad, though. It's generally good to be a leader/ruler/power... of the tribe, whatever that means >.<.

geK0:

Xaio30:

so cute ^_^

That thing is fucking adorable. Where is it from?
Edit: Did you miss-read my name intentionally...?

Xaio30:

geK0:

so cute ^_^

That thing is fucking adorable. Where is it from?
Edit: Did you miss-read my name intentionally...?

It's from Dark Cloud for PS2.... I actually didn't intentionally misread it : \

Brendon. Brendon, Brendon, Brendon. I like it. Really chafes me when someone says "Brandon" RIGHT after I introduce myself to them very clearly >:/ but oh well. Just got my first nickname though haha! Got a friend named Brendan, so when I'm with that group my name is Donny and his is Danny. Pretty interesting, especially cause now everyone in that whole town just knows me as Donny instead of Brendon.

As for what I wish my name was? Maybe Roland. I love that name

Hallvard.
It's a Norwegian name and comes from 'Harald'. Most people who don't speak Norwegian can't pronounce it so I usually go by 'hal'', hence my username.

Lukas

Old, but I kinda like it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked