Is Archery the new thing?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Just wondering because
It seems to be the silent sell of some things.
Whatjathink?

Never really made the connection. I've always been intrigued by archer-type characters, so I just sort of rolled with it, I suppose. If they're on the rise, more fun for me.

Instant K4rma:

Never really made the connection. I've always been intrigued by archer-type characters, so I just sort of rolled with it, I suppose. If they're on the rise, more fun for me.

Beat me to it. Anyway archery is damn cool so I can appreciate it coming into the light a bit.

I never noticed that _o I've been arching, wait no... Archering, done archery, arc- SHOT ARROWS, for about 10 years now and it is cool for it to get some light. Plus, I love shooting arrows in FPS. Archery in Skyrim was a lot of fun. They could do more of that.

Archery isn't in. People who don't know how to hold a fucking bow are in. Specifically the hunger games chick. That is mind-fuckingly bad.

LetalisK:
Archery isn't in. People who don't know how to hold a fucking bow are in. Specifically the hunger games chick. That is mind-fuckingly bad.

You do realise that hardly anyone today knows the slightest thing about archery technique right?

So while can understand people who do practice archery getting a little bothered by mistakes shown on film. But surely they must realise that it's never going to be a priority for film makes to spend base their casting of a role on an actors archery ability. something that only a most minute part of their audience is going to notice and that part shouldn't really care.

And regardless of how skilled any of those actors are, it's obviously going to help bring a lot more people into the hobby.

I thought this was about real life archery practicing - which I do! :D But it was about 'the media'. Okay. Well.

Skipper zammo:

You do realise that hardly anyone today knows the slightest thing about archery technique right?

So while can understand people who do practice archery getting a little bothered by mistakes shown on film. But surely they must realise that it's never going to be a priority for film makes to spend base their casting of a role on an actors archery ability. something that only a most minute part of their audience is going to notice and that part shouldn't really care.

And regardless of how skilled any of those actors are, it's obviously going to help bring a lot more people into the hobby.

It's really not that hard to hold a bow in the correct position, it'd take them maybe 5 minutes with an archery professional to get the pose, and maybe a day firing at targets to be good at it. For something with a budget like the Hunger Games, that's nothing.

OT: I don't think archery is the new thing, I think cool archery is the new thing. Archers in films these days can fire ridiculously fast, with amazing accuracy, and can put all sorts of explosive/poisonous stuff on the end of their arrows in milliseconds. Add in the fact that most people will do a sort of arrow killcam in slow motion, it makes for good footage.

I really hope it isn't the new coolest thing, because I can't think of something that I suck more at, I mean I took archery for a month and was never able to even hit the damn target even though I was shooting it from 10 meters away, and it was on a camp since it was daily, so yeah I guess I'm the anti Hawkeye since I'm as bad at it as he is good, but anyway bows have been there for a while, I mean didn't Rambo use a bow? And Shooters almost always have a bow or a crossbow, well maybe not modern ones but the ones I used to play all had one.

Whoever made that images forgot to add Oliver Queen from that the show Arrow. Still I did notice the trend abit.

Edit- Is there much of a difference for me saying "that show"? Should I had said "the show" instead? (FYI I'm never been too great with my spelling and grammers.) Geez relax to some of yous!

Instant K4rma:

You know who was into archery before ALL of you hipsters? Mongolians.

GAW DAM MONGORIANS!!! FIRST DEY BREAK SHEETY WAW, DEN DEY USE BOWS BEFORE BOWS COOL?!

Scarim Coral:
Whoever made that images forgot to add Oliver Queen from that show Arrow. Still I did notice the trend abit.

From... that show?! FROM THAT SHOW!?!?!?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!

COMIC NERD RAGE.... RISING!!!!!

EAT BOXING-GLOVE ARROW, MOTHERFUCKER!!!

You also forgot tomb raider in the OP.

HA! I got my Archery qualification in 2007!!!!

*ahem*

I mean... ermmm.... I did that stuff before it was mainstream.....

something about hipsters?

Scarim Coral:
Whoever made that images forgot to add Oliver Queen from that show Arrow. Still I did notice the trend abit.

...I don't think you quite get who 'Oliver Queen' is. That's the Green Arrow you're talking about.

I couldn't find a picture, but you know that bit in Predator where Arnie has lost his guns, but still has some grenades for his M203, so he pulls them apart, attachs them to arrows and makes himself a bow?

Yeah, that's how you do it.

Archery? There's a lolcat for that.

It does seem quite popular at the moment, I wonder if a new Robin Hood film will arise from it.

thaluikhain:
I couldn't find a picture, but you know that bit in Predator where Arnie has lost his guns, but still has some grenades for his M203, so he pulls them apart, attachs them to arrows and makes himself a bow?

Yeah, that's how you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GMbeQe0klA Wrong sir, wrong. This is how you do it.

Jarek Mace:

Scarim Coral:

...I don't think you quite get who 'Oliver Queen' is. That's the Green Arrow you're talking about.

I was referring to this-

They made a TV series on the Green Arrow but not really directing referring to that name or other DC superheroes.

archery was always cool. and they are exploiting it like they did with AC-130 airstrikes.

this thread is getting hot

I'll see myself out

I kinda thought this was about real life archery... which I love (despite being quite bad at due to lack of practice).

Anyway. It's probably just one of these things. Everyone got the idea that it was 'the next thing' a while back, thought no one else would think of it, made their film/game/whatever, and released it to find others had done the exact same thing.

Alternatively, it could be.

...I really need to take up lessons again or something.

Scarim Coral:

Jarek Mace:

Scarim Coral:

I was referring to this-

They made a TV series on the Green Arrow but not really directing referring to that name or other DC superheroes.

Yeah, I realise that they created that show. Doesn't mean that he's from "that show", he's had plenty of comics and cartoons about him over the years.

Jarek Mace:

Scarim Coral:

Jarek Mace:

I was referring to this-

Yeah, I realise that they created that show. Doesn't mean that he's from "that show", he's had plenty of comics and cartoons about him over the years.

Either way I was simply just saying they forgot to add him in that images since that is a new shows (yes the character himself is not new but the show is). It would be saying that person shouldn't added Clint aka Hawkeye as he already exists in the comics.

LetalisK:

It's not like there's only one way to hold a bow. There's lots of different techniques in the world.

OT: I'm gonna go ahead and say no. It's not even really a coincidence. Was Archery ever really an obscure thing?

I really don't see the point in this.

I'm not good at archery, but I won't bow down to those who are.

And I'm not going to be strung along by the media, I hate it.

I liked archery, but I'm awful at it and can't really do it anyway.

I love my little carbine.

Skyrim you cant include because its not like they give you the option for a fucking gun or anything. if you want range and youd ont do magic youre pretty much stuck. thats just setting.

and I kinda hope not. I havent shot a bow as much as Id like to have recently, but I used to be rather big into it and was pretty decent. and if that hunger games pic is any indication on how people are going to use a bow then you're going to see archery go out just as quickly.

Sean Hollyman:

You mean, you don't think those guys should be calling the shots? Yeah, I agree with that.

I was into Bowing once.....
then i hit my dog.....
dog got a case of dead....
oooohhhh fuck.... no stunt dog...

Never done it since then.

Oh but i still do archery. Have been for 10 years now. Still can't hit shit.

DoPo:

Sean Hollyman:

You mean, you don't think those guys should be calling the shots? Yeah, I agree with that.

Can't tell if really good counter-pun or serious..

>_>

Archery has been a part of our media for quite a while, and with good reason. There's nothing particularly new about this trend.

LetalisK:

Sweet Jesus... I saw Hunger Games a while back, I regret that immensely, but more importantly, Holy shit you're right, Neither of her hands are doing anything remotely correct in terms of archery. The hand on the string looks like she's got 3 fingers underneath (which is all well and good despite the fact that the pinkie isn't meant to be one of the 3) but what the hell is she doing with her thumb and index finger touching the top of the darn arrow? And her hand on the actual bow isn't much better, she's guaranteed to send the arrow way off course.

It was popular before:

And after Rambo, it just got silly:

Heronblade:
Archery has been a part of our media for quite a while, and with good reason. There's nothing particularly new about this trend.

^ This

Hawkeye and Green Arrow have been around for decades. Hawkeye is a staple of the Avengers, so that was bound to happen.

Of course anything in a fantasy setting is going to have archery, they can't exactly use AK47s, and it's the only practical ranged physical attacks.

A ton of games have bow & arrows or crossbows, been like this for as long as I can remember, Thief comes to mind.

That all aside, bows have been around in human history since nearly the beginning of civilization. They haven't exactly faded away like the trebuchet [for example] has, they are still commonly used for sport and hunting. By all means they should be prevalent in media.

Here's the way I see it. Guns are too loud and take too long to reload. Arrows, aside from screaming arrows, are quiet, and all you gotta do is pull another arrow out instead of reloading a cylinder or shoving in shells/clips. That's it.

Sean Hollyman:

DoPo:

Sean Hollyman:

Can't tell if really good counter-pun or serious..

>_>

Yes, I'm not exactly comfortable with some guy with a bow pulling the strings.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked