69.6% (288)
69.6% (288)
Unsure/Undecided/Other
15.7% (65)
15.7% (65)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you believe in ghosts?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

No...and I find it hard to believe that anyone is answering otherwise.

So, do you also believe in Goblins? What about Fairys? Angels?

For fucks sake people, you'd think we'd be past the point of thinking that fucking Ghosts are real.

This may come as shock to some of you, but Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real either.

Jiggy:

For fucks sake people, you'd think we'd be past the point of thinking that fucking Ghosts are real.

This may come as shock to some of you, but Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real either.

I'm with you man, the amount of people saying yes in this thread is fucking mindblowing. Seriously people, fucking ghosts? Are you shitting me? This is frankly ridiculous.

Also relevent; I've once been part of an experiment to prove how easy it is to make people believe whatever shit they wanted to believe. Basically, 100-ish people, me included, were taken out into the woods near an army camp 1 night and there told the "true" story of the camps notoriously bloody history (which most people had heard about but nobody knew the truth off, hearsay and all that).

After hearing the tale everyone is asked to walk through a section of the woods, alone, where various murders were committed. A few people didn't, as they were too afraid (it being pitch black in the dead of night and all). Of those who went through, about half of them reported seeing ghostly outlines of people and dogs, even floating orbs of light and other crap. I didn't, I figured out the truth part way through walking through the area; the whole story was bullshit, we'd been told it all and then made to walk through because the organisers wanted to see how many people basically hallucinated and made up whatever they wanted. It was all to show how peoples mids play trick on them. Even after being told BY THE ORGANISERS people still thought they'd seen things.

There were no murders, there was nothing eventful that had ever happened there. But tell a person a bullshit story and then leave them alone and they start seeing fucking ghosts. In short, people believe what they want to believe, even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Because people are fucking morons.

I believe in them. I work in the old part of a hospital by myself for almost twelve hour shifts. Sitting in a place that is rarely accessed by anyone but myself at that time of night there have been times where I find myself talking to thin air because something else is there and it's not the doctors or the nurses or even security.

Hawk of Battle:

Jiggy:

I'm with you man, the amount of people saying yes in this thread is fucking mindblowing. Seriously people, fucking ghosts? Are you shitting me? This is frankly ridiculous.

Also relevent; I've once been part of an experiment to prove how easy it is to make people believe whatever shit they wanted to believe. Basically, 100-ish people, me included, were taken out into the woods near an army camp 1 night and there told the "true" story of the camps notoriously bloody history (which most people had heard about but nobody knew the truth off, hearsay and all that).

After hearing the tale everyone is asked to walk through a section of the woods, alone, where various murders were committed. A few people didn't, as they were too afraid (it being pitch black in the dead of night and all). Of those who went through, about half of them reported seeing ghostly outlines of people and dogs, even floating orbs of light and other crap. I didn't, I figured out the truth part way through walking through the area; the whole story was bullshit, we'd been told it all and then made to walk through because the organisers wanted to see how many people basically hallucinated and made up whatever they wanted. It was all to show how peoples mids play trick on them. Even after being told BY THE ORGANISERS people still thought they'd seen things.

There were no murders, there was nothing eventful that had ever happened there. But tell a person a bullshit story and then leave them alone and they start seeing fucking ghosts. In short, people believe what they want to believe, even in the face of evidence to the contrary. Because people are fucking morons.

That ain't shit, just yesterday I was flipping the channels and came across some documentary about Ghosts or Zombies, some kind of Hybrid or something. Anyway, can't remember where exactly this was, but some young chick was convinced that this Ghost/Zombie of some guy was haunting her and wanted to kill her, so some sheep herder (no idea where he actually comes into this, but he's there) got her relatives together, they then went and dug Ghost/Zombies remains up, cut out his heart, burnt it, cut it up into little pieces and then made FUCKING TEA out of it and had the chick drink it because obviously that was going to make the Ghost/Zombie go away.

I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry at those levels of insanity.

Yea I believe in ghosts. I think the whole "there's no evidence for their existence, therefore they don't" dulls life. It's boring and I reckon you don't need evidence for everything regardless.

Sure, but I believe in tons of supernatural stuff, so it just goes along with that. Mummies, zombies, vampires, all sorts of undead, and more like elves and unicorns.

But not leprechauns. That is just silly.

Well, real or not, ghosts or lack thereof is certainly an efficient ego-boost to some people.

ghosts is kind of a wide generalization, scientifically speaking it's more than plausible, the laws of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed and the majority of what makes up the human persona, i.e. what we consider to be the 'self' is energy. The idea that some kind of imprint could be left on the physical plane? Perhaps.

Personally I would have to say I'm more willing to believe in ghosts than I would be willing to dismiss them until I am given concrete proof. Simply in accordance with scientific principle the possibility of 'ghosts' existing is slightly more likely than it is not.

But in terms of supernatural ghosts that haunt dark victorian mansions and kill promiscuous teenagers? Not so much a believer.

DoPo:

Vigormortis:

DoPo:

Come back when you find that someone, then we can interrogate him together.

"Find that someone"? Pretty sure that "someone" would be anyone claiming ghosts are real. So...take your pick I guess? There are plenty of them around. Hell, last I heard, anywhere between 25 and 30 percent of Americans believe in ghosts. So just grab the next 4 people you see. Chances are at least one of them is a believer.

Also, if they say they saw one, that is not proof. If history and science have taught us anything it's that eye-witness accounts and anecdotal evidence are the worst, most unreliable kinds of evidence you can get.

Well, I dunno, for some reason you chose me to dump some irrelevant info. I thought you wanted the initiative there. Why should I take the lead?

Not quite sure how you can say my info was "irrelevant", as everything I said in my previous posts was on the topic, but in all honesty I wasn't "dumping" anything on you; specifically.

You just so happened to be one of the first people I saw in the thread who said the ubiquitous "but you can't disprove them either" line. I just felt I needed to point out the fallacy of that. Hence my explanation of "burden of proof" and why I quoted your post.

It wasn't a personal attack. Sorry if it came off as such. I meant no offense.

lordmardok:
ghosts is kind of a wide generalization, scientifically speaking it's more than plausible, the laws of thermodynamics states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed and the majority of what makes up the human persona, i.e. what we consider to be the 'self' is energy. The idea that some kind of imprint could be left on the physical plane? Perhaps.

Personally I would have to say I'm more willing to believe in ghosts than I would be willing to dismiss them until I am given concrete proof. Simply in accordance with scientific principle the possibility of 'ghosts' existing is slightly more likely than it is not.

But in terms of supernatural ghosts that haunt dark victorian mansions and kill promiscuous teenagers? Not so much a believer.

I don't think you really understand exactly how energy works and how it's conserved. Energy in it's most basic definition is the ability to do work (i.e exert a force). Every atom in our being has energy and is arranged so as to create a conscious human being. There is no "store" of energy somewhere in our brain that is our consciousness, our brain and body works via changes in energy to power our organs. When somebody dies there is no "lost energy", there is just a lack of changes in energy and living processes happening, it is just a different arrangement of the atoms/energy that make a human up.

I haven't really explained well here, if you want me to clarify at all do ask.

Believe in them all you want there's simply no proof, there's been studies that have gone into this including scientists testing for the supposed weight of a soul leaving a person who was dying.

There's no proof and there's just nothing about it that even makes sense as people recall ghosts wearing clothes...does my shirt have a soul? Am I to be dammed with the same attire till my 'spirit' reaches some higher place? Not that there's proof of that either but I'm not about to dive into that.

I've had things I can't explain happen, or just random weird stuff (like footsteps entering and leaving my room), but I don't believe in ghosts.
My sister does and is convinced our house is haunted and she sees weird shit and has weird stuff happen to her all the time, sometimes even when I was there (like once a toy fell on the floor and rolled under the bed, but it had jagged points, so rolling how far it did was unlikely, plus there was no wind or anything to knock it off).
However, every ghost thing I've heard from people and had happen to me was at night and I refuse to believe in ghosts that operate on a time schedule.

Ariyura:
I believe in them. I work in the old part of a hospital by myself for almost twelve hour shifts. Sitting in a place that is rarely accessed by anyone but myself at that time of night there have been times where I find myself talking to thin air because something else is there and it's not the doctors or the nurses or even security.

What the hell do you do alone in an old hopsital?

Zeckt:
I never wanted to believe in ghosts, till I saw one make a face at me through a window in a bathroom 2 stories up while I was brushing my teeth. I vote yes.

Really? Tell me more... o.O

I'm not inclined to. It's not impossible, but the severe lack of convincing evidence kills it for me.

Sean Hollyman:

Ariyura:

I work in patient supply, basically they call for something and I bring it. From beds, to linens, to oxygen tanks. I do my scheduled deliveries when I get there then I'm on call for the last half of my shift. There is a new part of the hospital built on to the front of it but they haven't moved any of the department to it. Just patients and the information center.

Ariyura:

Sean Hollyman:

Ariyura:

I work in patient supply, basically they call for something and I bring it. From beds, to linens, to oxygen tanks. I do my scheduled deliveries when I get there then I'm on call for the last half of my shift. There is a new part of the hospital built on to the front of it but they haven't moved any of the department to it. Just patients and the information center.

Oh right, so it's not some kind of old rarely used ward where hardly ever goes...

I've heard weird stories man.

Hazy992:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.

I've always found that the absense of proof is not proof of anything. Something doesn't exist that because you haven't recorded it? Nonsense. It exists in a state of not knowing. The best answer, the TRUE answer, is that you don't know. Even if you say you do, you don't. The world has a positive and a negative, and both are provable. Somewhere out there is an answer to whether ghosts can or can't exist, do or don't. It has an answer, but it hasn't been found. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Belief was never about evidence in the first place. If it WERE, there wouldn't be all this god business.

Sean Hollyman:

Ariyura:

Sean Hollyman:

Oh right, so it's not some kind of old rarely used ward where hardly ever goes...

I've heard weird stories man.

It usually bustles during the day, it just Im the night person and no one comes in there after 3:00 pm when I lock the doors. It's been there for more than forty years or so. The housekeeper told me one day that he had been there for almost thirty five years and that it used to be a little sewing room, and a nurses station when he started.

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.

I've always found that the absense of proof is not proof of anything. Something doesn't exist that because you haven't recorded it? Nonsense. It exists in a state of not knowing. The best answer, the TRUE answer, is that you don't know. Even if you say you do, you don't. The world has a positive and a negative, and both are provable. Somewhere out there is an answer to whether ghosts can or can't exist, do or don't. It has an answer, but it hasn't been found. Let's not put the cart before the horse here. Belief was never about evidence in the first place. If it WERE, there wouldn't be all this god business.

That still doesn't make it logical to believe in them. If there's no evidence then logically you don't assume anything until evidence presents itself.

Hazy992:

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:

That still doesn't make it logical to believe in them. If there's no evidence then logically you don't assume anything until evidence presents itself.

When you have no proof, then logically the only recourse IS to wonder. It is on this basis that theories are born.

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:

FalloutJack:

When you have no proof, then logically the only recourse IS to wonder. It is on this basis that theories are born.

That doesn't mean you should make assumptions. If there's no proof then don't assume anything

Hazy992:

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:

That doesn't mean you should make assumptions. If there's no proof then don't assume anything

Look, I understand the fence-sitter line of reasoning. Assumptions, theories, hypotheses...these have led to both good and bad, and so there is a select group of people who prefer to avoid that by sitting tight and waiting for answers. Suppose the answer will never come. Like, never EVER...unless you do something. Then what? This is a mere case of curiosity. What happens when it's something important? Assume nothing? Wait for it? And if there's no answer there that can be waited out until it's possibly too late? I can see the reasoning for objectively hanging back until you're sure, but don't wait for TOO long. There's always consequences.

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:

FalloutJack:

Look, I understand the fence-sitter line of reasoning. Assumptions, theories, hypotheses...these have led to both good and bad, and so there is a select group of people who prefer to avoid that by sitting tight and waiting for answers. Suppose the answer will never come. Like, never EVER...unless you do something. Then what? This is a mere case of curiosity. What happens when it's something important? Assume nothing? Wait for it? And if there's no answer there that can be waited out until it's possibly too late? I can see the reasoning for objectively hanging back until you're sure, but don't wait for TOO long. There's always consequences.

What do you mean by waiting and hanging back? I mean it's not as like there have been countless studies on the existence of ghosts that have found no evidence for them or anything _ When nothing has been proven time after time am I supposed to just believe in them anyway just in case something comes up? Well I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Until they are proved to exist I will not assume they do. Assuming something without evidence makes no sense.

Sure some of his points would be lost due to the translation of the subject at hand, but Neil deGrasse Tyson has something to say:

My opinion? Little embarrassed that 14% of escapists believe in ghosts. I'm all for keeping an open mind but come on.

Hazy992:

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:

What do you mean by waiting and hanging back? I mean it's not as like there have been countless studies on the existence of ghosts that have found no evidence for them or anything _ When nothing has been proven time after time am I supposed to just believe in them anyway just in case something comes up? Well I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. Until they are proved to exist I will not assume they do. Assuming something without evidence makes no sense.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is no study in finding out if they CAN'T, and people still insist that they're there. You may as well try telling them not to believe in the holy ghost. Oh wait. People do that. Well, you can see how well THAT's been going over. I'm being nice about this by understanding, but there's no need to go saying something's ridiculous when you don't know any better than I do. For all I know, internet users have 12 times more tha possibility of getting cancer, but in such a way that can't be traced back to it. And if ANYBODY said it in earnest, you'd hear some ghost stories there too, and we'd be in pretty much the same situation. No sense calling out the ridiculous NOW. You're here, on a gaming site, trying to argue with me about ghosts. I think we can discount that as a proper line of debate.

FalloutJack:
Well I'm sorry you feel that way, but there is no study in finding out if they CAN'T, and people still insist that they're there.

So you're perfectly happy in automatically believing in things that there's no evidence for because it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Great.

You know I haven't seen evidence that the Kraken doesn't exist either so it must do.

FalloutJack:
You may as well try telling them not to believe in the holy ghost. Oh wait. People do that. Well, you can see how well THAT's been going over.

I'm not opening that can of worms. My stance on religious beliefs are the same as the supernatural and I'm leaving it that.

FalloutJack:
I'm being nice about this by understanding, but there's no need to go saying something's ridiculous when you don't know any better than I do.

Well I clearly know more about the scientific method than you do.

FalloutJack:
For all I know, internet users have 12 times more tha possibility of getting cancer, but in such a way that can't be traced back to it. And if ANYBODY said it in earnest, you'd hear some ghost stories there too, and we'd be in pretty much the same situation.

And I wouldn't accept that either unless I'd seen some evidence for it.

FalloutJack:
No sense calling out the ridiculous NOW. You're here, on a gaming site, trying to argue with me about ghosts. I think we can discount that as a proper line of debate.

You know what forget it. Don't try and engage me in a discussion and then just pull the 'it's just a gaming forum' card because things aren't going your way. If that's you're attitude then I really can't be bothered discussing anything else with you.

I believe there is a phenomenon that people call ghosts--I mean, my mother (who was a psychic) saw ghosts and she isn't a liar. I don't believe they are the souls of dead people. But I think there is something...I just don't know what it is...and I imagine there'll be a scientific explanation at some point in time. Probably an echo of some sort.

Hazy992:
-Snippo-

Oh, show a little perspective, man.

FalloutJack:

Hazy992:
-Snippo-

Oh, show a little perspective, man.

Oh so you're being condescending now too? I think we're done here.

xshadowscreamx:
i want to believe, i dont want nothingness in death..its unfair and cruel

Jesus, you got to live that not enough? There's an infinite number of possible people who didn't get the chance because they were never born, an infinite number of combinations of sperm, egg and circumstance that will never exist and yet you demand more. And people think it's the atheists who can't appreciate life.

Spot1990:

xshadowscreamx:

Jesus, you got to live that not enough? There's an infinite number of possible people who didn't get the chance because they were never born, an infinite number of combinations of sperm, egg and circumstance that will never exist and yet you demand more. And people think it's the atheists who can't appreciate life.

i am atheist, and im still going to try and steel a life extender when invented from a high security lab even if it kills me. lol

I believe in highly unexplained and widespread phenomena that mainstream science completely discounts and ignores and refuses to explain. I believe in phenomena that has a large number of highly credible witnesses, photographic and film evidence, and physical evidence.

So yes, I believe in Ghosts, I believe in UFO's, I believe in Bigfoot, I believe in USO's and I believe in the Ultraterrestrial hypothesis for most of them, because I want to explore and understand these unexplained and unusual events because mainstream science doesn't.

Aprilgold:

Bang Kaboom Ferrell:

xshadowscreamx:

Reality is Unfair and cruel To me death is like a long sleep that you will never awakan from

Hell if you are super luck you may get a dream that, to you will span thousands upon thousands of years but was just a minute.

------------------------

I don't want death to be forever slumber, but I would be lying to say that ghosts are real.

Let's be honest, any of us are going to have a hard time believing in ghosts or the like on a deep level, whether we want to or not, and whether you accept what science has to say on the matter or not; that's just a consequence of living as modern human beings.

However, that doesn't mean we necessarily have to accept what science says about death.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked