Non-IE, Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera Browsers

So I was derping around wikipedia (My infinite curiosity makes me do that ALOT) and I stumbled over the fact that there a jillion web browsers. Considering IE sucks, G. Chrome and Firefox are almost the same and I've never used Opera it got me thinking about all the other ones and what they bring to the table. So can anyone make a suggestion?

Captcha; Weakest Link, maybe other browsers have a minority share because they suck? idk captcha idk

I have been an Opera convert for... I think a couple of years now. Prior to that I was pretty much a diehard SeaMonkey (grandaddy of Firefox) fan.

However, I've also for many years been very browser agnostic. Yes, I had my preference for SeaMonkey or later Opera, but I'd hop over to K-Meleon, Firefox, Iron (Chrome without they spying), or something else for a while just at a whim. Often that whim would be "this browser just released a new milestone, I'll try it for a while."

I also sometimes use other browsers for particular tasks. I keep two copies of Iron Portable, one I use Youtube and my fake Facebook account in, and the other I use my real Facebook in. I use a copy of Firefox portable for my job hunting, it's set up so all my job sites and gmail open up when I start it.

As you may have noticed in looking at wiki, though there may be a number of browsers, there are only a few actual browser engines. Most are Gecko (Firefox et al) or Trident (IE) underneath, a few are Webkit (Safari). There are a few multi-engine browsers out there, but most of them are annoying IMO.

but I like firefox....

Only one I can think of is Safari

Try some Chromium ones like Iron and Rockmelt. The latter is basically a browser for Facebook.

Opera all the way.

I can only think of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and IE. And Netscape Navigator, but that's history.

MammothBlade:
Opera all the way.

Booyah, Opera fan! Internet High Five!

I'm one of them foxxy men.
You know you want my flame.

But I do have an alt-browser on my Ipad call Atomic. It's really good other than the ocational crash , but it does just restores you to what you were looking at straight away so I can't complain at all.

The only browser I know of other than what you've listed (and Safari, but that's an Apple thing) is Konqueror. "Know of" is about all I can say about it though.

I've used the text-based Lynx and Links browsers on occasion, on Linux computers that I either haven't set the X Window System up on yet, where the X server is temporarily broken, or on ones which have inferior performance and can't adequately run a full-fat graphical browser. They're also purportedly useful for the blind, who can use a screen reader more adequately with them than with graphical browsers.

Imthatguy:
So I was derping around wikipedia (My infinite curiosity makes me do that ALOT) and I stumbled over the fact that there a jillion web browsers. Considering IE sucks, G. Chrome and Firefox are almost the same and I've never used Opera it got me thinking about all the other ones and what they bring to the table. So can anyone make a suggestion?

http://www.rockmelt.com/

Rockmelt is a browser owned by Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook, be honest, your brain just melted at the thought of a Facebook owned browser and the fact you didn't know about it.

If you wanted to go really hardcore, you could try lynx, which is a command-line based browser. So it's really fast but probably only useful for visiting sites that are mainly text like wikipedia.

Otherwise I'd stick to either Firefox, Chrome, or Chromium.

Imthatguy:

Captcha; Weakest Link, maybe other browsers have a minority share because they suck? idk captcha idk

Most browsers share engines with the big 3 (IE, Chrome, FF) though, so they really aren't any better unfortunately.

That being said, Chrome and Firefox are almost the same!? You're out of your mind.

I see no reason to switch from Firefox.

I tried Chrome a while ago, and it didn't seem to do anything that Firefox didn't, so I quit. But I've been thinking of trying again now that it's been out for a while.

used netscape back in school till it died. then it was IE all the way till i realised it's been downloading all kinds of spyware onto my hardware and i NEVER click on ads or unsolicitated email, so i switched to opera and never looked back... well, sometimes i'm forced to use firefox to view certain financial and government pages 'cause those things tend to be made by idiots who don't care about compatibility.

never tried chrome, but i'm getting more pissed with firefox with each update. just keeps getting slower and more buggy. nuts. they really should have sticked to their original concept instead of stuffing it like a fat cow... the same stupid development route netscape took before it died?!?

Paya Chin:
used netscape back in school till it died. then it was IE all the way till i realised it's been downloading all kinds of spyware onto my hardware and i NEVER click on ads or unsolicitated email, so i switched to opera and never looked back... well, sometimes i'm forced to use firefox to view certain financial and government pages 'cause those things tend to be made by idiots who don't care about compatibility.

never tried chrome, but i'm getting more pissed with firefox with each update. just keeps getting slower and more buggy. nuts. they really should have sticked to their original concept instead of stuffing it like a fat cow... the same stupid development route netscape took before it died?!?

I swear, the memory leak in Firefox seems to actually be getting worse with each update. It's really making me consider switching to Chrome when I end up with over a gig of memory being eaten away...

I use Chrome at school (because it's either Chrome or IE8), Firefox when I am going to be on the internet for a long time, Opera when I need to look something up quickly (because at my computer it starts fastest), and IE9 if an old a web developer just doesn't care about browsers other than IE.

Most of the time I use Firefox/Iceweasel. Most other browsers have special features I really don't need. I sometimes use links though if I'm bored and want to check whether webpage X looks good in a text-based browser.

Sometimes I see people still using IE6. It gives me the same feeling as when someone type 'yahoo' into Google. It's just wrong. Just wrong.

Wasn't there one called "Maxthon" or "Maxathon" a few years ago?

That's the only one I can think of.

Firefox lover here, I have Chromium as a reserve browser in case something happens and Firefox can't load the Escapist.

Never really cared enough to go diving for obscure browsers.

I didn't know that Firefox/Chrome being the same was a bad thing.

Or that you never using Opera meant that you had to go looking for alternate browsers.

But if you insist... I got nothing. I have no reason to deviate from my Firefox/Chrome duo, so I've never looked.

I love Firefox for reasons I will not specify on this forum.

I use Firefox, and I like it. Been using it for years, never felt any need to change. Only other alternatives I know of besides IE of course, are Safari, Chrome and Opera. There was Netscape once upon a time, but that was bought out by Microsoft years ago and dissolved.

rekonq!

Don't really know much about it, but I use in on my linux boot sometimes.

Not really an alternative to Firefox, but a branch of it I use is called Nightly, which gives you the latest updates straight from the developers, night after night. It works well for me. Very fast and supports adblock, which is essentially all I need.

I use camino in school on the macs there. Mostly because I couldn't get firefox or chrome to work properly... Camino is pretty alright though.

MammothBlade:
snip

evilneko:
snip

I must thank you two. When you mentioned Opera, I figured I might as well check it out. I fell in love with it instantly. I'm using it right now, and I don't think I'm ever going back to Chrome.

Chrome is all you need. Nothing else competes. Not tried Chrome? You should. I like Chrome. Get Chrome. Chrome's free you know.

Chrome.

lacktheknack:
I didn't know that Firefox/Chrome being the same was a bad thing.

Or that you never using Opera meant that you had to go looking for alternate browsers.

But if you insist... I got nothing. I have no reason to deviate from my Firefox/Chrome duo, so I've never looked.

None of the aforementioned browsers are bad (besides resident buttmonkey IE) I was just wondering whats up with all the others where and if they did things particularly special and to branch out and explore the world of programs. Kinda like eating different foods?

(rockmelt was pretty interesting BTW)

Well, I always used Internet Explorer because it was already installed =P
then I tried Chrome and Firefox and both felt very sluggish and clunky
so then I went Opera, haven't changed since =P

although I did used to use Netscape Navigator, a a long-ass time ago

There is Netscape, of course. I've always wondered if there's some secret ninja village somewhere on the internet where dedicated Netscape users have worked to make Netscape some kind of uber-browser after all these years. I've thought about going off in search of it, but I've never gotten around to it.

I've tried a few different browsers in the past,but most of them were the same in essence and I never really stuck with them. There are browsers like that TOR browser (which is a modded Firefox in appearance) that puts anonymity and security ahead of all others by routing your traffic through a series of special servers and encryption services. It's interesting in concept, and there are a few "hidden web" services, but the experience is slower than regular web browsing, and unless you REALLY have to stay anonymous then there's not much point in using it.

I use Chrome as I find it easy to use, and looks nice. Also now it's on iOS it has replaced Safari as my web browser of choice as I can sync tabs between devices; moving from PC, to iPad, to phone, to other PC and back again easily.

Woodsey:
Chrome is all you need. Nothing else competes. Not tried Chrome? You should. I like Chrome. Get Chrome. Chrome's free you know.

Chrome.

I think this guy uses Chrome.

OT: I went through the evolution of browsers.
Internet Explorer -> Safari -> Firefox -> Chrome

I need to look at Opera though, because I haven't even heard of it till now.

thenumberthirteen:
I've tried a few different browsers in the past,but most of them were the same in essence and I never really stuck with them. There are browsers like that TOR browser (which is a modded Firefox in appearance) that puts anonymity and security ahead of all others by routing your traffic through a series of special servers and encryption services. It's interesting in concept, and there are a few "hidden web" services, but the experience is slower than regular web browsing, and unless you REALLY have to stay anonymous then there's not much point in using it.

I use Chrome as I find it easy to use, and looks nice. Also now it's on iOS it has replaced Safari as my web browser of choice as I can sync tabs between devices; moving from PC, to iPad, to phone, to other PC and back again easily.

Yeah I use TOR when I'm on a network I don't trust the escapist threw a hissy fit when I tried to post with it once though.

Paya Chin:

There's a good reason for that: Firefox /is/ Netscape. Netscape didn't really die, it just got renamed twice, first to Mozilla, and then to Mozilla Firefox.

OT: I can't think of any that haven't been mentioned yet, at least not any that aren't derivations of the big three, Opera, or Safari. There's quite a few out there for touch screens, though. I use Dolphin on my android device.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked