76.6% (59)
76.6% (59)
No! >:c
23.4% (18)
23.4% (18)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Escapist Mobile anyone?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Right now, I'm typing this on my phone while lying on the bed. You know why? Because a phone is a lot more portable than say, a laptop! I like laptops but really phones are better for portability.

Any who! Phone Internet explorer that I am, I find it remarkably tedious browsing through this sites. Seeing that this place has no mobile version. Which is just sad considering the amount of people who come here daily.

Question/discussion value! Would you like to see a mobile version of the Escapist? :o

I know I would love to see one. 8D

Pub-club get at least some version of it, although I imagine that for us peasants there will probably be a full mobile site available within a year or two. It'd be absolutely insane not to make one, considering the rate at which everyone is adopting mobile internet.

My phone can handle full websites fine so I actually prefer them to mobile sites.

BUT

Since the layout change, has anyone else noticed that you can't scroll all the way across the screen horizontally anymore? Its actually really bad, I can't even browse threads properly any more because I can't reach the page numbers.

If any escapist IT staff reads this please let me know if this is a known problem or just something affecting my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 running ice cream sandwich)... I'd much appreciate this problem sorted as I do 75% of my escapist browsing on a mobile.

Esotera:
Pub-club get at least some version of it, although I imagine that for us peasants there will probably be a full mobile site available within a year or two. It'd be absolutely insane not to make one, considering the rate at which everyone is adopting mobile internet.

I reckon that everybody should just put pressure on the mobile phone developers to put proper bloody browsers onto their phones. Perhaps if the operating systems didn't use execrable languages like Objective-C, or obese languages like Java, they'd have a better time of it.

Richard A. Kiernan:

I reckon that everybody should just put pressure on the mobile phone developers to put proper bloody browsers onto their phones. Perhaps if the operating systems didn't use execrable languages like Objective-C, or obese languages like Java, they'd have a better time of it.

Java is the right choice for Android as it's relatively low-level but still runs the same across a wide-range of devices thanks to the JVM. Good luck getting achieving that with something like C. I won't comment on Objective C as I don't know anything about it.

It'll become less of an issue as phones/tablets become more powerful, but right now we're stuck with lightweight browsers that don't have a tremendous amount of resources. It's mainly the responsibility of webmasters to deliver pages that have a small size, don't have massive amounts of javascript/jquery, and that have a decent sized font and various other factors that will work with phones. This will be far more noticeable than 10-15% improvements in browsers.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOO

I hate mobile versions of the sites i can never find my way round them, at least if your going to make a mobile version of a site have a link for the normal one as i can't stand having to try and navigate cut down sites.

Granted i might feel differently if i had a small screen phone but i don't and the majority of phones are now touchscreen so using the standard site shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Raven's Nest:

Since the layout change, has anyone else noticed that you can't scroll all the way across the screen horizontally anymore? Its actually really bad, I can't even browse threads properly any more because I can't reach the page numbers.

Yeah, I have.

Viewing the escapist full windowed (maximised) otherwise posts get choppy and navigation seems more difficult. I've been on some really bad forums but this takes the biscuit.

Every time I use a mobile site I immediately try to switch back to the normal site.

Sometimes there are problems with using the "full" site on a phone, but i find that generally mobile sites sacrifice a lot of stuff to make the site "easier to use with phones".

So in short, no.

Running most of my escapism from my Ipad so I would love this.
I can't really watch content to often due to the whole no flash thing, which is pretty annoying in this day and age.
The Escapist could also do some cool stuff with the marketing like free codes to pub club members and $3 for the regulars.
This would also give people who can't afford the membership a chance to support the site.

I'd be happy to buy it.
Also I've been think about this for days now and was about to do the same.
Damn ninjas

I would love to have a mobile escapist since most of the time I use my ipod to get online since I carry it everywhere

I have a phone that is technically capable of web browsing.

I would however very much not want to use it for such. It's a very old phone. >.>

devotedsniper:

I hate mobile versions of the sites i can never find my way round them, at least if your going to make a mobile version of a site have a link for the normal one as i can't stand having to try and navigate cut down sites.

Granted i might feel differently if i had a small screen phone but i don't and the majority of phones are now touchscreen so using the standard site shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yeah totally agree if they force mobile version give us an option for normal site cause I would get lost too.

Since I'm apparently the only one left who doesn't own one of those fancy computer phones thingamojangs I don't see the point. For me.

I gotta get a new phone soon...

I'd love for the Escapist to have a mobile site, the layout is a bit too complicated for anything like a little phone. (I'm sure it's fine on tablets.)

Though, I wouldn't mind it if they just integrated some sort of ios/'Droid app to view the forums. 'Cos trying to read/reply/post is difficult. (I wonder how one would go about making such an app. image)

For some reason my phone hates this site, posting a comment is the most tedious experience I've ever had. Every time I stop typing the cursor jumps back to the beginning of the post. It's freaking horrendous. Makes it practically impossible to post comments on the phone.

And the lack of specific Java support, that this site requires, on androids means that I can't watch any of the videos.

So it's pretty pointless going on the site on my mobile truth be told.

I would love to see an Escapist iPhone app.

Esotera:

Do we? I've certainly not noticed it. (Unless you mean our ability to play videos)
Browsing the forums and chat is pretty unpleasant on an iPod, so I'd love a mobile version.

Yes.

My crappy Blackberry cannot handle the website with its layout change and browsing is very, very painful. I wouldn't mind just a mobile site for the forums, though, where most of my mobile browsing hours are spent on.

TheBobmus:
Do we? I've certainly not noticed it. (Unless you mean our ability to play videos).

I think he's referencing the Kindle version. :O

'cause if we did have a mobile version, I certainly wouldn't be complaining. <.<

It would be nice, although I never really use the mobile view on my phone. I seem to have less issues on most sites that way.

My only real complaint would be how much of a pain in the ass it can be to logout on a touchscreen. When the site had a simple logout button, I had no problems. However, since the new changes, the drop down menu used to logout just irritates me to no end.

XcrossX:
It would be nice, although I never really use the mobile view on my phone. I seem to have less issues on most sites that way.

My only real complaint would be how much of a pain in the ass it can be to logout on a touchscreen. When the site had a simple logout button, I had no problems. However, since the new changes, the drop down menu used to logout just irritates me to no end.

Logging in is even more frustrating. I don't want to load 2 pages before I can log in!!

I'm not sure. While mobile browsing is becoming more and more popular each year phones are becoming powerful enough to render we pages as good as a desktop browser.

I don't think a mobile page is needed. There was talk of an official app a couple years ago, but I'd guess they decided to redesign the site to make it more accessible to moblile devices instead. Having a mobile site means that users have two different experiences with your site rather than a single identity and style. A mobile site or app will likely be less feature ritch than a desktop site. I doubt an app will have forums for example. Also it'd mean more money would have to be spent on development and maintanence for a, relatively, small gain.

I think with the last redesign they should have really put effort on making it compatible with mobile devices. I'm almost certain it was an important point to test, but they should have removed "mouse over" features because I haven't seen a mobile browser that allows that.

TLDR: No they shouldn't have a mobile site, but instead make the main site more mobile friendly.

Raven's Nest:
If any escapist IT staff reads this please let me know if this is a known problem or just something affecting my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2 running ice cream sandwich)... I'd much appreciate this problem sorted as I do 75% of my escapist browsing on a mobile.

Have you mentioned this in the tech team group? That's where you report bugs and issues. The IT guys don't read threads all that often, but always check that group.

Raven's Nest:
My phone can handle full websites fine so I actually prefer them to mobile sites.

BUT

Yeah, I've noticed this on my Galaxy Note (Running ICS). I thought it was just me... :<

Applejack:

devotedsniper:

Yeah totally agree if they force mobile version give us an option for normal site cause I would get lost too.

Well, in my experience, unless it's a dedicated mobile surfing app, then most websites like that pop up with "We have a mobile version of this site, would you like to visit it?"

Then you're free to click no.

thenumberthirteen:
I doubt an app will have forums for example. Also it'd mean more money would have to be spent on development and maintenance for a, relatively, small gain.

Seen the official XDA Developers app? It's a forum app basically. And it makes browsing through its megaton number of forums easy as pie. Logging isn't a problem either, replying, quoting, everything, works fantastically. :O

I would love a mobile site for the Escapist. Let's just hope it isn't costly c:

mParadox:

thenumberthirteen:
I doubt an app will have forums for example. Also it'd mean more money would have to be spent on development and maintenance for a, relatively, small gain.

Seen the official XDA Developers app? It's a forum app basically. And it makes browsing through its megaton number of forums easy as pie. Logging isn't a problem either, replying, quoting, everything, works fantastically. :O

I know there are forum apps, but from my experience with mobile apps of websites they usually just have news, features, and videos. Community features are rarer (from what I've seen). The app I'd imagine the Escapist would make would just include main content.

Of course it's just what I'd imagine they'd make.

mParadox:

thenumberthirteen:

I so want something like that for The Escapist, I actually came into the thread to suggest it and then saw that you already had. Long story short, a mobile site would be nice for news articles and the like, but the videos and forums would be /much/ better suited to a dedicated app. I actually made a post from a phone browser once. Took me a half hour to put out something that would take me 5 minutes (most of which involved looking up and linking to images) on a real browser. An app would be much appreciated.

thenumberthirteen:

mParadox:

thenumberthirteen:

I know there are forum apps, but from my experience with mobile apps of websites they usually just have news, features, and videos. Community features are rarer (from what I've seen). The app I'd imagine the Escapist would make would just include main content.

Of course it's just what I'd imagine they'd make.

Look up "tapatalk." It's another app like what mParadox was talking about. It does nothing but make forums play nice with touch screens.

As regards to apps and shizz for browsing the forums, these seem to be mostly on Android, because that platform is awesome and has tons of people developing apps for it. Hell, there's even a decent MangaFox app for that website. Nevertheless, with Blackberry and its apps, there few apps that help you browse forums and websites. Hence one of the main advantages of a mobile sire is that across all mobile platforms, the benefits can enjoyed.

I hate Blackberry, but am stuck with it, so jealous of you Android people :/

Yes please, it's a bit slow on android plus lower resolution/removal of avatars would be good for the data conscious.

Also, typing tags on mobiles is a nightmare.

already available for the PubClub either write your own app or purchase a membership.

henritje:
already available for the PubClub either write your own app or purchase a membership.

An RSS feed =/= a mobile site.

Clearly you have no idea of what you're talking about.

Raven's Nest:

BUT

This happens on my iPad as well >:(

OT: This site pretty much works fine on my iPhone, excluding videos, but that's a pub-club thing.

Either an optional mobile version or an app to access all the content. Bit-tech.net have a really good app. Its a bit unstable but I use it everyday.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked