Today I bought my first ever graphic novel.

It was Batman: Knightfall one. I'm excited for TDKR, so I bought something to keep me occupied while I wait, and so far it's really cool. Bane's a genius >_<

So yeah, did I make a good choice? I've never read many comics before, I want to stick with Batman.

What other reccommendations do you have?

I got an Artemis Fowl one a while back. Pretty good. KickAss is a good one too, a bit darker than the movie, but I'm fine with it like that.

I really enjoyed V for Vendetta. Alan Moore's a good bet, but his comics can get a little too "deep" sometimes. Also, I heard good things about a series called Mouse Guard, you might want to check that out. Actually, I could rattle off recommendations all day, but that's not my style.

hazabaza1:
I got an Artemis Fowl one a while back. Pretty good. KickAss is a good one too, a bit darker than the movie, but I'm fine with it like that.

I said I'd rather stick with Batman :p

But yeah I've heard good things about Kick ass and it's sequel

If you want more Batman related graphic novels than I highly recommend Batman Year One.
Yes it's somewhat similar to Batman Begin but hey Batman: Year One is the original one! In fact there is a scene or two in Batman Begin that they took/ made reference from the novel. What make the novel so good is the narrative perspective from both Batman/ Bruce Wayne and Gordon.

While I do suggest others graphic novels like Batman: The Killing Joke and The Dark Knight Returns but there one to look out for is Batman Black And White (while I have read those three books but I haven't read Black and White).

Black and White is more of an short stories put together into a novel which each stories are made by different people. They each has their own take on Batman so it's not canon (not a bad thing as they keep it within accordingly like what Batman would of done) and artstyle. Some of those stories are really good (before you asked I watched a few motion comics of it).

Sean Hollyman:

hazabaza1:

I said I'd rather stick with Batman :p

But yeah I've heard good things about Kick ass and it's sequel

Oh, I thought you meant like, you're gonna stick with the batman series and wanted other comics too. Whoops.
Never read any Batman stuff myself. I've heard some bad stuff about a lot of the modern comics. Stuff where Bats goes around killing people, or starts doin' the deed with Catwoman with the suits on. Kinda weird.

Congratulations on your first graphic novel purchase.
My first series was Fables, I love that series.

For recommendations go here
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.380972-Recommend-me-some-comics
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.381044-Comic-suggestions

I'm not really into western comics, so I figure that the Watchmen is the only comic I really need to own.

Get kick-ass and kick-ass 2 deffinitly! also id recomend Batman the killing joke (overated but a must have batman graphic novel) The walking dead graphic novels..yes there are a lot of them but my god they're amazing.

Sean Hollyman:
I want to stick with Batman.

Well, you should probably try to branch out a bit. But if you ever want to branch out to other DC comics, pick up "Identity Crisis". Great way to get attached to Obscure DC characters.

Anyway, for Batman - well, there's a ton. Year One and Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller are both, frankly, must-reads. The Killing Joke is good too but probably a little over-rated.

However, there's another that you should definitely get, beyond all others - Long Hallowe'en. It's awesome. Treat yourself to it.

Thespian:

Sean Hollyman:
I want to stick with Batman.

However, there's another that you should definitely get, beyond all others - Long Hallowe'en. It's awesome. Treat yourself to it.

This is basically what I was going to say. One of the best things related to Batman ever.

War games and Hush are two recent batman stories I enjoyed.

And Arkham Asylum: a Serious House on Serious Earth is definitely worth a look. It's a little strange in both it's art style and it's tone, but I enjoyed it and it's often listed among the batman must reads.

hazabaza1:
Never read any Batman stuff myself. I've heard some bad stuff about a lot of the modern comics. Stuff where Bats goes around killing people, or starts doin' the deed with Catwoman with the suits on. Kinda weird.

Batman hasn't killed anyone post reboot, though the current Robin has. And he did have sex with Catwoman in her own series, but that book is just awful.

Over all I'd say that post reboot batman is much like the rest of DC. there's some good in there and a little bad, but mostly just a bunch of mediocre.

Probably the best thing to do is just browse what your local shop has for Batman and go from there. See what looks interesting and go for it. Everyone's gonna have their favorites, and most are good but I think it tends to be more fun and more rewarding when you discover the stuff on your own. Not that recommendations don't help or aren't a good idea.

Batman: Under the Hood is a good one, especially once you're acquainted with the Bat-Family, which doesn't really take long. Three Robins, Oracle, a few others that change from time to time. It's nice as it deals with what happens when the whole 'taking a sidekick' thing goes wrong. Plus it gives a good tie-in to Red Hood and the Outlaws, which, despite the problems they had with how they portrayed Starfire in the early issues, has gotten better to me. Jason is very aware of who and what he is, and despite what it may seem on the outside I think they are trying to make it so there's more to him than a clown and a crowbar. Plus, as Roy says, he has the best stories.

Joker's Asylum isn't bad if you like Batman's villains as much as Batman himself. It's just a series of shorts, based on various villains, all told by the clown himself.

As far as the current stuff, things have been very hit or miss. They're trying new things in the DCU and it while it does get people talking, it's not always because what they are trying is good. The last time I've seen Bats kill anyone was Flashpoint, and that...well, I don't wanna spoil the surprise on that. Anyone who has not read Knight of Vengeance should do so. It's short, it's fun, and the 100 bullets art-style fits very well.

Got Watchmen a couple weeks ago. Finished that, rewatched the movie. Good read, good watch.

Not that into graphic novels normally. Might grab the others like league of extraordinary gents or v4vendetta

Tsukuyomi:
Three Robins, Oracle, a few others that change from time to time.

There's five Robins.

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown(yes I know she was robin for all of five minutes and may not exist any more, but pre-reboot Batgirl was probably my favourite DC series so I'm counting her.) and Damian Wayne

Point taken on the number, although I tend to try and forget about Damien out of spite. Skilled though he is, I feel like he just basically slumped in, screamed "MOMMY! I WANT TO BE ROBIN!" and Bruce just caved in so he didn't have to hear the constant whining of his one, true, spoiled-brat of a son. "Mother, I want a Batmobile." My god, can I smack the taste out of his mouth now?

I loved Knightfall, it was fantastic.

The Batman MUST READS (in neon lights) are Hush (my personal favorite), The Last Halloween, Mad Love, The Dark Knight Returns (the upcoming movie also seems to borrow a bit from this), and Arkham Asylum. Tower of Babel is also a fantastic read, and while it's technically a JLA arc, Batman is at the center of it showing that just because he doesn't have powers doesn't mean he can't fuck all of em up.

Skipper zammo:

Tsukuyomi:
Three Robins, Oracle, a few others that change from time to time.

There's five Robins.

Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown(yes I know she was robin for all of five minutes and may not exist any more, but pre-reboot Batgirl was probably my favourite DC series so I'm counting her.) and Damian Wayne

You missed Carrie Kelly. :p

Tsukuyomi:
Point taken on the number, although I tend to try and forget about Damien out of spite. Skilled though he is, I feel like he just basically slumped in, screamed "MOMMY! I WANT TO BE ROBIN!" and Bruce just caved in so he didn't have to hear the constant whining of his one, true, spoiled-brat of a son. "Mother, I want a Batmobile." My god, can I smack the taste out of his mouth now?

I actually like Damian, particularly when he was teamed up Dick Grayson in Batman and Robin.
Though I didn't actually read any of his earlier appearances and I have heard he was much more annoying then.

But then again I'm one of the only people in the world who seems to like Superboy Prime so maybe I've just got bad taste

Cheery Lunatic:
You missed Carrie Kelly. :p

If I counted every alternate reality and potential future robin the list would be waaay to long.

Aliens: Book 1 (also known as Outbreak), published by Dark Horse. The story is part of a trilogy (the other two are rather poor however) and is a sequel to the second Alien movie. The comic follows Newt and Hicks years after the events of the film. The story is rather cliche, involving evil corporations, cults that worship the alien and hard-line military personal, but the story is really well told and has some great characters and dialogue. The tone of the comic is dark, bleak and horrific and complemented by some great black and white ink drawings.

I bought the entire Calvin and Hobbes collection.
Do those count as graphic novels?

Probably.

Stephen kings 'the dark tower' adaptations
Locke and key
kingdom come

my first one I think was eather V for Vendetta or Arkham Asylum: living hell

Try the new Batman: Earth One. Its like Year One but Alfred is a badass in it. It only just came out and I loved it. Also the whole Court of Owls storyline by Scott Synder is great. It evens helped some of the tie-in titles pick up a bit, even if just for that event.cough catwoman cough. I think it will diffidently be the next long remembered story line. Animal Man and Swamp Thing are two other DC titles that are strong as well. I would also recommend Action Comics for an interesting and more human take on Superman. In fact Action Comics does a better job with Superman than the series titled Superman. Oh and Justice League and Justice League Dark are also really good.

Uncanny X-Force is a good one as well. Wolverine has a team of mutants that the main teams don't know about and X-Force does what needs to be done to keep the rest of the mutants safe. It requires a bit of research on Apocyplase but its worth it.And the Dark Archagenel tale was super amazing, with great art and a great story. Daredevil is also currently really good. I know a lot of people say the previous run was better but I haven't read those so I can only say for the lattest run. Its about fourteen issues in right now. I would like to recommend Deadpool but right now Im not too sure. He just doesn't feel right and isn't as funny as he used to be. It needs more Bea Arthur for sure.

Sean Hollyman:
Today I bought my first ever graphic novel.

You will be re-issued your Virgin Card in the mail.

Nah, just messin' with you.

Now that you're into graphic novels, go read everything and anything written by Warren Ellis. He's like that guy who wrote Watchmen except better and not a douchebag.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked