Is Bob Dylan a talentless hack?
Yes, his lyrical skills are horrible and/or I hate his voice.
7.3% (23)
7.3% (23)
Yes, his instrumental are horrible.
1.6% (5)
1.6% (5)
No, but he is overrated.
17.4% (55)
17.4% (55)
Yes, he is a talentless hack, but he had a large influence over music.
4.1% (13)
4.1% (13)
No, I like him.
36.3% (115)
36.3% (115)
No, he has talent, but I don't like him.
14.8% (47)
14.8% (47)
No, I love him.
8.8% (28)
8.8% (28)
No, he's almost as good as bacon sex.
9.5% (30)
9.5% (30)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Bob Dylan - Talentless Hack?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I had to research 60's music for a school project a while ago and happened to stumble upon a lot of negativity on Bob Dylan. All the positive stuff seemed to be rabid fans defending their favorite artist. The negative stuff was all about how "he was a talentless hack" and "had a horrible singing voice". I find him one of the most influential artists of the 60's and can't see why anyone would dislike him that much.

So I'll ask the least idiotic fellows I have happened to stumble upon in the interwebs - you.

Some of his songs, if you havn't listened to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3mAX5xdxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X6MIgFtxnw

Even though I don't like Bob Dylan's music I have to admit that his skills are the dog's bollocks. How anyone could say his lyrics are shit is beyond me. Plus he's a folk singer the singing voices of folk singers have never been all that and that's the style of singing for the genre. You don't have to be a good singer to make good music.

Maybe but in an other or a I think hes good but Im not a fan option. I mean I dont hate his music but I dont love it either.

He doesn't exactly sing like a siren but that's all part of the Bob Dylan appeal. He's a pretty amazing songwriter.

Obviously, he's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but someone calling him a 'talent-less hack', probably just wants to come across as edgy or whatever.

His lyrics and songwriting are pretty good, but I just don't like his voice. He can be very hard to understand as well.

I don't like him. His voice is grating and I find his song writing to be pretty "meh". Not the worst I've heard, but I don't see the appeal.

eh?..whats the thing here?

its Bob Dylan..I mean what do you want me to say? I;m not a fan but people like him...personally I fele like a pretentious twat at the Idea of listening to him...

I have a real aversion to music elitism

Personally i dont listen to him, but his lyrical and music writing skills are amazing.

He is by no means talentless.

Saying Bob Dylan is talentless is like saying the Beatles where terrible or that Jimi Hendrix couldn't play guitar.

His voice is utterly and totally shit, and that's why he's popular. His music is basically reading out a poem that he wrote which makes people focus on his lyrics. His lyrics are good and people focus on them when the listen. Good though his lyrics may be, there are plenty of artists just as good at songwriting and putting meaning into their songs WITHOUT having a crap voice. Bob Dylan sucks, and I think many of his big fans are somewhat pretentious.

Colour-Scientist:
He doesn't exactly sing like a siren but that's all part of the Bob Dylan appeal.

Exactly! I like that he doesn't sound like Y guy from the American Idol finals. He sounds unique. I guess that's why some people can't like him - it's his robust vocal skills.

Never bothered to try listening to him for the longest time untill I chance heard Hucks Tune in the credits for Lucky You. Stopped what I was doing, listened to this wonderful, beautiful song, and waited patiently for the credits to say who it was.

Rolls up...."Hucks Tune performed and written by Bob Dylan"

That was the start of my Dylan trip and I'm thankful that I found a way into his music.

More on topic, I'm pretty sure a lot of people feel this way about Tom Waits.

Don't know about 'talentless' or 'hack' but he certainly became a corporate tool fairly early on.

I think his voice was great. He can't fucking sing now at all, nor has he been able to for years, but he used to sound great. His singing voice was pretty idiosyncratic though, so I guess you could argue he still couldn't actually sing, he just had a weird voice. But still, I think his old stuff is great.

I mean really, that's just ball-tinglingly good.

Very biased poll...

He could sing very well, the characteristics he put on his voice were always for a reason - most people just didn't understand

The fact that it wasn't his singing voice or skill on his instrument that made him popular/successful and was almost purely on songwriting talent shows how phenomenal an artist he is.

I love Bob Dylan, is all I'm going to say.

Honestly, I find he's more miss than hit, though when it is hit, it's awesome.

I mostly keep defending him because he is the only well known famous aspergers sufferer who isn't a nerd, a truly terrifying loser on the internet who drinks his own bodily fluids mixed with sunny d, or a fictitious math obsessive who goes crazy around fire alarms, and quite frankly, we need more of that kind of positive publicity.

Sh1nobu:
I had to research 60's music for a school project a while ago and happened to stumble upon a lot of negativity on Bob Dylan. All the positive stuff seemed to be rabid fans defending their favorite artist. The negative stuff was all about how "he was a talentless hack" and "had a horrible singing voice". I find him one of the most influential artists of the 60's and can't see why anyone would dislike him that much.

So I'll ask the least idiotic fellows I have happened to stumble upon in the interwebs - you.

Some of his songs, if you havn't listened to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk3mAX5xdxo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X6MIgFtxnw

He is a genius, but one that's very fond of irritating the hell out of critics and fans alike. That's probably why people hate him so much.

Shivarage:
Very biased poll...

He could sing very well, the characteristics he put on his voice were always for a reason - most people just didn't understand

Any ideas on improving it?

I personally like his voice. I mean, I like everything he offers, but I really don't get people not liking his voice. Not everyone should have the same voice. Dylan is very distinctive and soothing.

Well, personally I think that "Tangled Up in Blue" is the best song ever written, and I love the rest of Dylan's work. I can't fathom how someone could think of him as untalented, but I guess idiots will be idiots.

Best songwriter that has ever lived. Sometimes I think about a lyric of his and it makes my ball (notice the singular) tingle slightly.

This is all I care to show those 'people'.

Dylan is going to be buried 2ft deep so his zombie will be one of the first to rise.

Brotherofwill:
Best songwriter that has ever lived. Sometimes I think about a lyric of his and it makes my ball (notice the singular) tingle slightly.

There's no need to brag.

Woodsey:
I think his voice was great. He can't fucking sing now at all, nor has he been able to for years, but he used to sound great. His singing voice was pretty idiosyncratic though, so I guess you could argue he still couldn't actually sing, he just had a weird voice. But still, I think his old stuff is great.

I feel like watching Watchmen now.

OT: I'm not a fan, but I don't think he's untalented. Also, that is an extremely biased poll.

I'm surprised that guy with the Bob Dylan avatar isn't here yet.

Lyrically, he's at the top of the heap, and I enjoy his voice, but musically, I often find him to be uninteresting, and just for my personal taste, music is more important than lyrics. For that reason, I don't feel he quite lives up to his reputation. Still, he has a couple songs per album which are just perfect.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

Woodsey:

I feel like watching Watchmen now.

Yeah, so do I. That whole intro is brilliant.

Sh1nobu:

Shivarage:
Very biased poll...

How about "No, he wasn't a talentless hack but a great artist and performer" among the better options or even any detail in those options that isn't "I like him". He knew dam well his voice wasn't the greatest, the guy wasn't an idiot but most people just can't see his brilliant ideas for the less-than-autotuned voice

Genius is a word that's thrown around much to often these days but in Bob's case I think that just about sums him up. One of the greatest lyracists of all time.

He has horrible singing voice but it works well for his work. He's a great artist, musician and composer... His voice has bad pitch but on the other hand has a lot of character, kinda like Janis Joplin, Jimi hendrix, etc. They don't have great voices but make great music with them.

It's how you use the instrument (voice) that counts. And in a time without autotune I think they did an amazing work...

I think it's valid not to like them as you can't argue about taste. But his influence on music for generations is undeniable.

I would like the names and addresses of the people who call Dylan a talentless hack *grabs bat*

Granted Dylan's singer never been the best but it has a lot of character to make up for him not being pitch perfect. The lyrics have always been Dylan's main appeal, as a lyricist few can be compared to him.

No, he wasn't a talentless hack he was one of the greatest lyricists and performers ever. His music might be simple, but it works to create in many cases an almost chant of rage against the people he's attacking. No-one has ever gotten to a subject in quite the same way as he ever has and I doubt anyone ever will. To criticise him for not being a fabulous singer is to overlook the fact that some of the best and most influential performers of all time haven't been the best singers, but since they put emotion into their voices where others fail makes them the amazing personalities that they are.

I could espose pro-Bob Dylan all damn day. The man is an inspiration, a legend, an icon, and clse enough to being the father of the modern protest song that when people do parodies, they're not parodying protests songs of the 60s, they're parodying Dylan himself. There has never been a performer like him, and there never will be again.

A hack is someone who writes low quality rushed work 'to order.' Bob Dylan never rushed, and never wrote to order, and anyone who wants to call his output low quality is going to need a lot of justification. Talentless could mean anything, but come on. He played the guitar, he sings, he played the harmonica, he plays keyboards. You might not like his style, but how many of you can play three instruments and sing? I call it talent.

So first off, to say he's a talentless hack is clearly axiomatically wrong, and it is also semantically wrong, as neither the descriptive word of hack or talentless can be applied to him.

Bob dylan has crafted some truly iconic songs, Knockin' on heavens door and The Times they are'a changing are truly classic songs and Bob Dylan has had a huge influence on music.

Talentless Hack? You have got to be fucking kidding me you ridiculously moronic spermatozoa.

I even disagree with the "Bob's voice sucks" claim. I think he sounds great. Granted, nowadays not so much, but I just don't really care for his new albums in general (though I understand that a lot of people like them). Early folk music Bob had one of the most influential vocals of all time, intentionally sounding like a three hundred year old man singing three hundred year old folk tunes. When people covered these songs in "normal" voices, they became straight up pop hits, but I doubt they ever would have gotten as popular if originally performed that way. People copy that style a lot and for good reason. It makes it seem more relevant and spine tingly, like a well kept secret.

Then when he switch to electric, his voice went to a bitter rock snarl, again copied and reused like crazy. "Like a Rolling Stone" is one of the biggest hits of all time. Then there's soothing crooning country Bob that sound nothing like anything else he does, more proof that the way he sounds on a given day is 100% an artistic choice. "Lay Lady Lay" is eerily beautiful. Then when that was over, he went to a more balanced gruff voice (this one was my favorite) that amounted to "normal" on-key singing, just a little huskier and scratchier. The vocals on New Morning, Desire, and Blood on the Tracks are good by any standard in my opinion.

Shivarage:

Sh1nobu:

Shivarage:
Very biased poll...

How about "No, he wasn't a talentless hack but a great artist and performer" among the better options or even any detail in those options that isn't "I like him". He knew dam well his voice wasn't the greatest, the guy wasn't an idiot but most people just can't see his brilliant ideas for the less-than-autotuned voice

Hey, I agree with you. But this really isn't a Bob Dylan fanclub, I'm just wondering why so many people have so much against him. Finding positive stuff that doesn't feel like foam-mouthed fan babble was pretty hard. I created the poll to see why people didn't like him, not to see why they liked him.

I guess you could say the poll is biased, but this thread was created to observe the negative feedback on Bob Dylan.

http://overrated-underrated.com/music/bob-dylan/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bob-Dylan-Talentless-Hack/160207677336097 (It even has a mini facebook page!)

Also checked up a few cleaner voiced dudes singing "Like A Rolling Stone" - in my opinion, it had lost some (if not most) of it's unique vocal appeal when sung completely clean. It's like hitting every note when covering Sex Pistols.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked