The Mind**** thread!

OK, so I just saw this picture, probably old, but new to me.

And I'm still looking at it thinking "How the fuck?"

Post your favourite mind-fuck images, or whatever, here. Go go go!

The classic stairs just fuck with me every time. I was shown some great ones in Biology as well, might try to dig up later.

Stupid brain being fooled by illusions.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
OK, so I just saw this picture, probably old, but new to me.

And I'm still looking at it thinking "How the fuck?"

The image become a lot less 'mind-fuckey' when you realise that the second beam down somehow goes from the top of one pillar to the bottom of another, despite being at a 90 degrees angle. Once you see it, it becomes pretty obvious that the second beam was never touching the second pillar at all, but instead was passing in front of it. All that's happened is that someone photoshopped the image so that it looks like the beam passes through the pillar, rather than going in front of it.

Still a pretty cool image though...

Personally, this one is my favourite:

Not to ruin the thread, but many of my mindf*** moments have been in the realm of music.

When I first heard the rapper Drake, I though that he was a bada** thug that rapped about his life and was hard. Then, I come see how he looks like and his mannerisms outside of the booth and I'm completely shocked. He isn't a thug, and he's actually a nice guy. His stage personal and his actual self was a real mindf*** for me.

Another example is Nikki Minaj. I first heard her rapping in the song Bedrock, and when I heard her, I was confused, thinking, "Why is a 12 year-old girl rapping about her vagina and wanting to have sex?" I come to find out that she's actual in her 20s and is 80% fake (i.e. she wears a lot of make up, costumes, fake hair, and has had a lot of implants). There's an 8 year-old English girl that sounds exactly like her and is even more talented. That was a real mindf***.

Lastly, when I heard the chorus for the Gotye song Someone That I Used To Know, I thought that it sounded good, only that I didn't know the title of the song. When browsing for music, the song was very popular and was prompted to find out why. The first minute and a half didn't really impress me and I was going to move on until I hear the chorus roll up. I couldn't believe that they were one in the same. Total mindf***.

One of my favorites, and also an annoyance because it frequently comes into play in my work, and I have to design around it.

Which square, A or B, is lighter?

McMullen:

CrimsonBlaze:
Not to ruin the thread,

Then why are you posting? None of that belongs here.

One of my favorites, and also an annoyance because it frequently comes into play in my work, and I have to design around it.

You can sort of see it if you squint.

This guy has some great ones:

Censoring your title but having fuck appear twice in the OP? Classy.

My favorite:

Edit: Should explain. If you blink while her leg is straight in either direction you can change in which way she is spinning.

McMullen:

CrimsonBlaze:
Not to ruin the thread,

Then why are you posting? None of that belongs here.

I was just going to say that. Here's the animated version for proof

On a different note, if we include mindfucks for the undeveloped mind, then this video never ceases to make me laugh.

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the mind fuck:

Greni:

My favorite:

Edit: Should explain. If you blink while her leg is straight in either direction you can change in which way she is spinning.

I'm really trying man, but she continues to spin counter clockwise for me. Or is it something else entirely?

Greni:

I can only see a clockwise spin. Too many things break the illusion. The shadow implies we're looking down, which means that her outer foot should be higher in the background and lower in the foreground, which is only the case if she's spinning clockwise. If that up-down oscillation were better timed, it might work better.

EDIT: Ah! finally made it work. Have to ignore the shadow and imagine you're looking upward. Eliminating the shadow entirely would probably make the illusion more effective.

DevilWithaHalo:

Greni:

My favorite:

I'm really trying man, but she continues to spin counter clockwise for me. Or is it something else entirely?

For me blinking doesn't work. It just suddenly changes direction. Try watching and focusing on it.

McMullen:

Yeah, that one got me at first. You have to look between the two of them and focus your eyes out and they look the same.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked