What have been your favourite albums of 2012 so far?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Blazing Steel:
Linkin Park - Living Things.

I've liked every album they've made from Hybrid Theory to Minuets to Midnight to a Thousand Suns, so I assumed I'd like this album no matter what it sounded like.

Dude...obviously Castle of Glass is the best Song on the Album.

(Also, you forgot Meteora and if we want to be pedantic, Collision Course aswell. Not to Mention Solo Projects like Fort Minor's The rising tide or Dead by Sunrise with Out of Ashes...yeah, I really like Linkin Park)

Love the whole damn thing, it's just a bit short.

Yeah, Living Things for me too, not that I'm a big Album buyer, call me nuts, but aside from a handful of bands I pretty much just listen to whatever I heard somewhere and happened to like.

Right now, my top two are probably...

Enter Shikari - A Flash Flood of Colour
The Rocket Summer - Life Will Write the Words

Though nothing is safe come July 24th, when Emilie Autumn finally releases F.L.A.G. Also, HIM is supposedly releasing a new album this year, so everything just got even less safe.

Got a few:

Eluveitie-Helvetios
Epica-Requiem for the Indifferent
Delain-We are the Others
am super amped for:
Korpiklaani-Manala

My favourite so far would have to be "The Power Within" - Dragonforce.

Marc Hudson's voice really makes that album, great choice for the new singer.

Four Owls

UK Hip Hop, the best new music available

Poets of the Fall's new album "Temple of Thought" is really awesome, much better than their previous album(which was also good). Gojira's new album is also really good. I've heard that Serj Tankian's Harakiri is good but I haven't listened to it myself. Others are:

Tenacious D - Rise of the Fenix
Eluveitie - Helvetios
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
Stam1na - Nocebo
Miracle of Sound - Level 2
And probably a couple of others that I can't remember. I'm also looking forward to Ensiferum's upcoming album. Same with Muse(although the dupstep trailer didn't assure me that the record is going to be good).

Some of my favorites from the year so far. I put a track from each album into the spoiler. Anyone who's familiar with these artists, makes it pretty clear I'm big on instrumental/electronic music in many, many forms. These are some of the best, freshest sounds this year, right here. imo, of course.

Motley bunch which might make the final cut, no order.

The Panic Division - Eternalism
Colosso - Abrasive Peace
Call Me No One - Last Parade
Lord Mantis - Pervertor
Glass Cloud - The Royal Thousand
Naglfar - Teras
Usher - Looking 4 Myself
Xibalba - Hasta La Muerte

Jiggy:

Blazing Steel:

I've liked every album they've made from Hybrid Theory to Minuets to Midnight to a Thousand Suns, so I assumed I'd like this album no matter what it sounded like.

(Also, you forgot Meteora and if we want to be pedantic, Collision Course aswell. Not to Mention Solo Projects like Fort Minor's The rising tide or Dead by Sunrise with Out of Ashes...yeah, I really like Linkin Park)

Yeah, Living Things for me too, not that I'm a big Album buyer, call me nuts, but aside from a handful of bands I pretty much just listen to whatever I heard somewhere and happened to like.

Nah, the best song is totally Roads Untraveled. That rhythm section... man.

Jiggy:

Blazing Steel:

Oh, shit!

:D

If we must be pedantic, then you forgot the live albums, new divide, Reanimation the 'Linkin Park' album by Hybrid Theory :3. Collision Course and Meteora are by no means Hybrid Theory, but I feel they are similar in many ways so I was going for the polar oposite albums with Hybrid, Midnight and Thousand Suns. Nothing wrong with Castle of Glass, but Powerless is my favourite with the awesome video. Loved Rising Tide but Dead by Sunrise felt very bland.

Husky - Forever So (I'm essentially in love with them. May be going down to NYC to see them in august.)
DIIV - Oshin
Guided By Voices - Let's go eat the factory (I consider it a 2012 release, since only itunes got it in 2011.)
Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory
Best Coast - The Only Place
Patrick Watson - Adventures in your own backyard
Andrew Bird - Break it yourself
Field Music - Plumb

It's hard to narrow it down, but those strike out to be my favourites thus far. Nothing quite as good as 2011 yet though.

Sorry, here's a youtubey vidya

Xartyve2:
Yes, my ego is very satisfied. Though some things leave a bitter taste in my mouth. Namely all the albums you didn't comment on. I guess you don't like hip hop but that doesn't explain Beach House. Why no Beach House? Yeah I thought their first few albums were boring as shit as well but this one is different.

Yeah, me and the hippety-hop have a pretty bad history. There's the odd song here and there that I like (Rapper's Delight, White Lines, Changes and No More Eatin' for example) but most that I encounter really don't really do anything for me. It especially doesn't help when the best hook in their song is something sampled from a 70's soul artist that I'd much rather be listening to instead, though there's exceptions where I can look past that (Do for Love and It Was a Good Day) I just don't seem to be geared much towards hip-hop. =/ And as for Beach House I thought it was rather nice,quite relaxing, just didn't have anything to say about it really.

Xartyve2:
It's still boring but it's not a dealbreaker anymore.

That's the quote of the week right there. XD

Xartyve2:
Also, wash your mouth out with soap, young man! Your comments about Karen Dalton insult my honor! She is, with no doubt in my mind or hyperbole on my lips, the greatest vocalist of the ones that I linked.

Umm...I'm sowwy daddy *shrugs* Don't know what tell you, I'm really not to sure how to feel about it. Might be something that grows on me, was just going off my initial judgments.

Xartyve2:
Speaking of vocals, what's the problem with Suis La Lune's? It's fairly typical of screamo. It is an emo subgenre after all.

Well, to be honest I just kind of interpreted 'screamo' as being a synonym for Hardcore rather than being a genre in it's own right, so I guess it didn't quite match up to what I was expecting. And I'm not sure how much of it is the guys voice or how much of it is the fact the production makes it sound like he's standing 20 yards away from the mic, but it just didn't work for me at any rate.

Xartyve2:
Your complaints about the brass, though I don't agree with them, I kind of understand.

Fair enough. It's not so much that I'm averse to the use of brass/strings (synthesised or not), I mean hell, I'm a big fan of Ihsahn/Emperor and a lot of other Symphonic Metal acts and really appreciated the utilisation of brass instruments in Neutral Milk Hotel's work, it's just I don't feel it really worked within the context of this song. But that's just me.

Xartyve2:
I am not Sm1thers1boy. I've sworn off YouTube comments for good. I've had enough death threats made on the comments section of Icehouse's "Electric Blue" alone. Those people are beyond my help.

Yes, the Youtube comments section is pretty much the nadir of internet based discussion, which is kind of like being the ugliest person in a Steve Buscemi look alike contest (hackneyed joke I know, but serves as an apposite metaphor), so I Don't blame you for avoiding that like the plague.

Xartyve2:
On a final note this music is much better in its intended album format. These tracks were chosen at random so a lot of the stuff you see (particularly from The Men, Death Grips or Perfume Genius) are not the best the album has to offer. You should really consider listening to some of these. They're really worth it.

Couldn't hurt to give a few more tracks a try and I can understand it's hard to reflect everything you love in an album with just a single example and of course the tracks you'll be fond of might not reflect other people's perceived strengths about a given artist. I mean I probably picked the 3/4 least accessible tracks from Eremita to showcase, so that probably won't garner too much interest. Still, will give it a whirl with some more songs, see if anything capture's my interest.

Catfood220:
I apologise too, I really should avoid music threads when I've been drinking, it brings out the music nazi in me:)

Heh, I'm no stranger to posting whilst drunk, so it's perfectly understandable. :3

Fuck it. My browser just crashed with a summary of my opinions on almost every song posted on the first page. I cannot be fucked.

My favourite is not an Album it's the EP for "Whatever it takes" from The D.O.T.

I even put the links in spoilers, so it's certainly not advertising.

Ascending to Infinity by Luca Turilli's Rhapsody or Carolus Rex by Sabaton
(Both power metal)

My top three of the year so far are

Also just got

the other day, which is good, but I'm not sure it will be able to displace Chairlift for best 80s influenced offbeat pop album, much less best of the year.

There's still the new Dirty Projectors and eventually David Byrne & St Vincent to listen to among other releases, so the musical year is still young

In Mourning - The Weight Of Oceans
Fear Factory - The Industrialist

dead sara

i only discovered them last month

OhJohnNo:
So far I have only 3 - Thick as Thieves by Cavo (meh, good songs but worst production of all time), Synthetica by Metric (awesome awesomesauce), and Living Things by Linkin Park (similarly awesome awesomesauce). Dunno which is my favourite yet - one of the last 2, certainly.

what did you think of thousand suns?

I got living things because I was like "hey! linkin park!" I was never a huge fan of their back in the day (mabye a bit young) though I actually do like the song "crawling" even though its a subject of ridicule

as I write this I am hearing female rap on mainstream radio......weird

Good music year for me so far:

The Hives - Lex Hives
Metric - Synthetica
Marilyn Manson - Born Villain
Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
Beach House - Bloom
Spiritualized - Sweet Heart, Sweet Light
Mars Volta - Noctourniquet

Looking forward to Passion Pit's Gossamer on the 24th.

smithy_2045:
Albums that I've quite enjoyed that have been released this year include

Sweet Sour, by Band of Skulls
Monument, by Children Collide
Lex Hives, by The Hives
In Our Heads, by Hot Chip
Anxiety, by Ladyhawke
Neck of the Woods, by Silversun Pickups
Apocalyptic Love, by Slash

Funny story, I saw Slash live Saturday night in Vancouver, my face melted at all the awesome.

OT I'd have to say Apocalyptic Love by Slash feat. Myles Kennedy and The Conspirators and Stones Grow Her Name by Sonata Arctica

1) Celldweller - "Wish Upon a Blackstar"
2) Sinch - "Hive Mind"
3) Lostprophets - "Weapons"

Beyond that I haven't heard anything this year that has been of any great quality.

Blazing Steel:

To be honest I felt like Living Things was more of a failure on their part. "Lost In the Echo" is easily the best song on the album, and, in my opinion, the only good song attached to it. It's not the the album is horrible, but it feel as if they were trying for a more industrial feel (which the guys claimed they were) and they fell way short. The problem is that I can hear the effort and the talent, but the final product was disappointing. And, at the end of the day, that is way more discouraging than than an album with little effort put into it failing.

Albums not made in 2012.

Vault101:

OhJohnNo:
So far I have only 3 - Thick as Thieves by Cavo (meh, good songs but worst production of all time), Synthetica by Metric (awesome awesomesauce), and Living Things by Linkin Park (similarly awesome awesomesauce). Dunno which is my favourite yet - one of the last 2, certainly.

what did you think of thousand suns?

I got living things because I was like "hey! linkin park!" I was never a huge fan of their back in the day (mabye a bit young) though I actually do like the song "crawling" even though its a subject of ridicule

as I write this I am hearing female rap on mainstream radio......weird

One of the best albums since the turn of the millennium, IMO.

'Fraid I can't stand Crawling, though. Worst song they ever did.

OhJohnNo:

yeah I dont get the hate...I loved catalyst (though I cant listen now as it reminds me too mcuh of ME3)

I'd say my least favorite is "the message" (or is it messager?) I mean he's really really...really overdoing it there

Vault101:

OhJohnNo:

yeah I dont get the hate...I loved catalyst (though I cant listen now as it reminds me too mcuh of ME3)

I'd say my least favorite is "the message" (or is it messager?) I mean he's really really...really overdoing it there

Which is, of course, the whole point - the album is a big intricate concept album, and those final passionate screams of "LOVE! KEEPS US KIIND!" is pretty much necessary after that terrifying look into the post-apocalyptic future that is The Catalyst.

Captcha: have purpose. Indeed!

Garbage
Scissor Sisters
Eureka Seven: AO
Smashing Pumpkins
Serj_Tankian
Linkin Park
Keane

-----
All released albums this year, mostly good stuff.

The Pride by InMe, only album I've bought this year but it's so awesome I don't need other music

OmniscientOstrich:
Yeah, me and the hippety-hop have a pretty bad history. There's the odd song here and there that I like (Rapper's Delight, White Lines, Changes and No More Eatin' for example) but most that I encounter really don't really do anything for me. It especially doesn't help when the best hook in their song is something sampled from a 70's soul artist that I'd much rather be listening to instead

As much as I love hip hop I may have to break my vow of flaying alive anyone who dares besmirch its name. I get your complaints, I do. But at the very least give Death Grips and Killer Mike a chance. You might be surprised.

Here's hoping this actually works...

Purity Ring

El-P

Cloud Nothings

Beach House

Edit: Yay! it worked.

Has to be Living Things by Linkin Park for me.

Favourite songs are Roads Untravelled, Castle Of Glass and I'll Be Gone

This has been a surprising year for me muscially. Most of the albums from bands that I have loved for years turned out to be hugely disappointing (Say Anything, Motion City Soundtrack). However, I can say that the albums that have stuck with me have REALLY stuck with me.

House of Heroes- Cold Hard Want

House of Heroes has been one of my favorite since I first heard Serial Sleepers back in 2004. Every album they have ever released has been gold in my book and Cold Hard Want joins those ranks. It may not be the masterpiece that The End is Not the End was, but it's still a great collection of fun songs that make you think.

mewithoutYou- 10 Stories

Aaron Weiss and company's decision to leave Tooth and Nail to go independent was a risk that paid off in spades. It's surprising that a concept album telling the story of a crashed circus train and the fates of the animals in the aftermath could both be playfully lighthearted and touchingly philisophical. The tragic story of Bear and Fox's flight to Yellowstone anchors the story for me and ties a weight over my heart every time. Check out "Fox's Dream of the Log Flume" to see if mewithoutYou's musical stylings are to your taste. You won't regret it.

fun.-Some Nights

I don't care how "mainstream" fun. has suddenly become. I have always loved The Format and I continue to follow Nate Ruess' commitment to artistic integrity. The title track on Some Nights has pretty well become my anthem as of late while the pairing of "All Alone" and "All Alright" touches one the biggest valleys of my life while also sheading a ray of hope over them. "We Are Young" is a little overplayed and plodding but that's no reason to discount the rest of the album.

I'm sure there are some others that I'm forgetting but I'm low on time and without access to my music library. Still, amongst a year of disappointments there have been some true standouts.

Aborted - Global Flatline (Not usually a fan of modern Death Metal or Grindcore bands, but these guys combine the old school feel of each expertly)
Lamb of God - Resolution (Not their best effort, but still pretty damn good)
Corrosion of Conformity (Gods of Groove Metal, seem to just keep getting better. I love these guys)
Blaze Bayley - The King of Metal (People seem to have forgotten about him after his less than stellar time with Iron Maiden, but his solo output has been nothing short of consistently great)
Meshuggah - Koloss (Kings of Technical Death Metal, "Bleed" was epic so this one is a bit of a letdown, but still a great album)
Overkill - The Electric Age (One of Thrash's pioneers still going strong and somehow getting heavier and heavier without venturing anywhere near Death Metal. I don't know how they do it
Municipal Waste (Great New Wave Thrash in the Punk-Thrash vein of D.R.I)
Jack White - Blunderbuss (I know it's a popular pick but come on, it's Jack White. I can't think of a bad album the man's been on. And he's been on a lot)
Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65 (Pioneers of Doom Metal with one of their best albums to date)
Whitechapel - s/t (Same Whitechapel time, same Whitechapel channel)
Everclear - Invisible Stars (Art Alexakis basically made a late 90's Everclear album, and who can hate that?)
Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage (One of the best and most unique Metal bands of the 21st century keep making magic)
Aesop Rock - Skelethon (One of the few even somewhat popular good rappers out nowadays)
Baroness - Yellow & Green (Great Stoner/Sludge Metal band and a great album)
Testament - Dark Roots of Earth (It's Testament.)
Masta Ace & MF Doom - MA Doom: Son of Yvonne (MF Doom, another one of those guys that turns everything he touches into gold)
El-P - Cancer 4 Cure (A surprising new discovery. Very good album that shows a lot of potential)
Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist (Their worst album so far but still very good)
Jorn - Bring Heavy Metal to the Land (Jorn Lande is such a beast)
Devil's Train - s/t (Great new Hard Rock/Heavy Metal band)

There are some more great lesser known albums out this year, but this is long enough. Sorry this is so Metal-laden, but I am a Metalhead. That, and it seems every genre blends more and more with their Top 40 counterparts every year.

SycoMantis91:
Jack White - Blunderbuss (I know it's a popular pick but come on, it's Jack White. I can't think of a bad album the man's been on. And he's been on a lot)

I'm showing some restraint here by not listing every White Stripes album except for De Stijl but, come on, I find it hard even for a fanboy to defend Sea of Cowards.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked