What does it mean to be a "gamer" anymore? Does it mean anything at all?

Pages PREV 1 2

Fappy:

Daystar Clarion:
The term casual gamer, I mean, it shouldn't be an insult, just a descriptor for someone who occasionally plays games.

I despise the term 'hardcore', it just makes me think of people who only play military FPS games.

Maybe make a new term, like, I dunno, off the top of my head, Daystar grade gamer.

>_>

<_<

Which is just another way of saying, "If you go 10 minutes without playing Civ V you start slapping your face and looking for crack rocks."

Just...

One...

More...

Turn...

I hate the word "Gamer". Just like I hate "Escapists" and "redditors" and "9gaggers".
Video game enthusiast reporting in.

Hmm... the way I see it, the lines of what a gamer actually is have been blurred.

I guess I would fall more within that classical version of a gamer. Loads of games, loads of consoles, really invested in the industry, its workings. Stepping into the shallow pools of game design.
Hell I'm even as far as to actually be seeking out old games and playing them as well. I never had a NES, but I love Castlevania. I thought MULE to be oddly charming. I got over 200 GOGs. Just love jumping in and trying a game, and reading the history around that game, putting its quality into a relative context.

I like to call myself an "Enthusiast". I think I have gone to a level higher than just playing and enjoying games.

Maybe thats what a gamer is "a person that regularily plays and enjoys games". Its just a shame "Gamers" these days, the ones I generally meet in the general populace, like crap like Call of Duty, and FIFA.

Then again, I think the entry point is different.

I got into gaming when I was very young. I grew up around games, I definately grew a more humble and respectful, but also fun approach to playing games. Especially competatively against other players.

The "gamers" of today seem to enter at that older childhood/teenager bracket, bringing that class-room maturity with them. They get mad when they lose, they cuss, and they will cheat if they can get away with it.

Thats not to say they are all like that. It is a bit of a generalisation, but from my experience, that seems to be the case most of the time.

I always put "casual" gamers into a sort of non-gamer area. They play Facebook games, simple little arcadey stuff on their iphones. Its cheap, it doesn't require a huge amount of investment, and it fits nicely in with their other activities.
My parents are like that. They played games like Pac-man and Space Invaders as kids, but it didn't stick to them. That nostaligia is kind of their still, as they love playing those kind of simple games, (sometimes fiercly competatively like in Tetris and Bejewelled Blitz).

EDIT: I guess I don't make it easy for myself.
I mean I'm 21 years old, but I don't act like a 21 year old in my part of the country would.
Its bad when supposed "gamers" are truly baffled and alienated by everything I talk about.
(To be fair though, not many people can keep up with me! XD (It made university very difficult. Sure people are friendly, but I never made a good connection, not to that point where one could share a room or a house, (or a bed! XD))

It truly is a shame, that the only gamers I have ever really known in person were the people I hung out with at my secondary school. Playing Super Smash Bros. Melee on a mini TV at lunch breaks, and hung out for sleepovers at my best friend's house (And only 1 or two of those people I keep regular contact with)

Does being a gamer still "mean anything"? No. Because it NEVER meant anything.

Casual: Games designed purely for amusement and short-term enjoyment.

Core: Games designed around narrative structure.

Casual Gamer: Someone who plays games (both core and casual) for enjoyment. Issues like innovation, business practices and DRM mean nothing to them.

Core Gamer: Like a casual gamer, but takes a more active interest in the inner workings of the industry.

Hardcore Gamer: Overcompensating beta-male douchebag. Often seen screaming at people. Favorite words are "F#g" and "kitchen"

Personally, I don't waste time worrying about how other people refer to themselves. I consider myself a gamer, I don't play competitively and I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer in general, but I do spend many hours playing many different games on iOS, PS3 and PC, to me, that qualifies.

I consider myself a gamer because it is my hobby, I don't label myself a gamer like some badge of identity because it's currently considered cool.

So frankly, we shouldn't be worrying about people that do that to fit in, and think that somehow it dilutes those of us who do consider ourselves legit. They should be pitied, having no better way than to identify themselves by something they may have once done on an Atari 2600.

The whole Core/Casual/Hardcore thing is slowly mutating due to Publisher marketing tactics.
What used to mean played on a regular, part time, or metagaming basis, are now nothing more than buzzwords and stereotypes.

Garrett:

I have to disagree with that. You don't have to be "in the loop" to be a gamer. There are probably plenty of gamers who play only older titles and don't give two cents about present games. As soon as new console generation will hit the market, I will become one of such people. Yet I will be still playing a lot.

Being up to date on your hobbies should be important to you, why don't you "give two cents" about present games? is there an actual issue you have with them or are you just not fond of them?
Either way you should care, 10 years down the line and those newfangled games will be the "older titles"

I don't care much about a label of "hardcore/casual/whatever gamer", however it does put me off a little when people call themselves gamers when all they're playing are games on their shitphones or facebook.

This contradicts...

Garrett:
All in all

People over complicate this shit...

Do you play games as a hobby and would be happy to chat to others about games?

You are a gamer. awesome lets move on.

This.

You believe gamers are people who play games but hate it when people play facebook games and call themselves gamers...

anyone who considers playing video games to be a hobby of theirs is in my opinion a "gamer". People who solely play facebook games and the like would not call it their hobby I'm sure.

I still have never identified with the term gamer though, for me it sounds too dorky and too generalised (for some reason..).
if someone asks me about myself and what I enjoy doing one of the things I say is I enjoy playing videogames, and not say "I'm a gamer"

The meaning of "gamer" left pretty much the second when the term became marketable. Even better is that everyone can call themself a gamer and yet when you simply prove the person calling themself a "gamer" doesn't know the game that they proclaim they love and know everything about you are the one that gets harassed.

Seriously it's just a meaningless term that went from something that was niche to marketing to establish a false level of credibility without actually having to demonstrate any substantial knowledge of the subject of the games content and the industry. Hell I see more people just use gamer to promote themselves and then play the victim the second they meet any criticism.

Keoul:
Being up to date on your hobbies should be important to you, why don't you "give two cents" about present games? is there an actual issue you have with them or are you just not fond of them?
Either way you should care, 10 years down the line and those newfangled games will be the "older titles"

Why would being up to date be important? You know, I prefer to play games rather than know unnecessary information about heap loads of games. Sure, I will miss out on few gems and it will be sad but then I will look at the waiting to play heap of older gems and I will be happy :P

Keoul:

You believe gamers are people who play games but hate it when people play facebook games and call themselves gamers...

Since when "put off a little" became "hate"? Being mildly annoyed doesn't always mean you give enough crap that it actually matters.

Garrett:

Why would being up to date be important? You know, I prefer to play games rather than know unnecessary information about heap loads of games. Sure, I will miss out on few gems and it will be sad but then I will look at the waiting to play heap of older gems and I will be happy :P

Well, what are you going to do when you finish all your older games silly, play the new ones!
Also being up to date means you can talk to other gamers easier, an example would be OP's case.
The date was playing/played older games and didn't give 2 cents about the newer ones, made the date quite awkward indeed.

Since when "put off a little" became "hate"? Being mildly annoyed doesn't always mean you give enough crap that it actually matters.

OR DOES IT? -DUN DUN DUNNA- yeah you're probably right, I may have jumped the gun there XD my bad.

Keoul:

Well, what are you going to do when you finish all your older games silly, play the new ones!
Also being up to date means you can talk to other gamers easier, an example would be OP's case.

That's the thing. By my super awesome science estimates, I won't run out of games to play before my death. My super awesome science estimates took into account that I won't be playing as much (being adult and stuff), other hobbies and mulitple beatings of one title. I'm pretty sure I won't run out. And if I do, well, fuck.

Keoul:

The date was playing/played older games and didn't give 2 cents about the newer ones, made the date quite awkward indeed.

No, he didn't give two cents about all games. He wasn't interested in them, didn't play them for long and, well, wasn't interested in games at all.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked