Have you ever avoided something because of its fanbase?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

hazabaza1:

~snip~

Nantucket:

~snip~

Shanicus:

~snip~

Understandable, but I would just like to say that I don't think the bronies as a whole deserve the rep they get. Of my 12 years on the internet, I legitimately think that's one of the better fandoms I've partaken in. I know someone who used to rail against the MLP fanbase all the time, but about a month or so ago he was forced by a friend watched the show of his own volition and ended up joining the fanbase. Now the guy has gone back on his words because he loves the fan-created content so much. The whole development was rather damn amusing, actually XD

Yes, there are still some very aggravating bronies out there (Just this morning, even, there were a few I wanted to throttle), and the less I say of cloppers the better. Don't understand the latter, and I don't want to understand the latter.

Now for a direct answer to the OP. If I have, then no examples are leaping to mind. I suppose anime fans have a tendency to annoy me from time to time, but they aren't the reason for me not watching anime.

LordFish:

ToastiestZombie:

LordFish:
Loving the way Bronies got pulled to this thread :) hey all x

It's weird, bronies get pulled to threads like these and haters get pulled to MLP threads.

I was a genius one by creating a MLP thread with the title "Rarity" and politely informing everyone that she is quite clearly the best pony. Was a really good thread, had a couple of people wonder in by accident and the flame-tards had no idea pony thread was going on right under their NOSES! mwhaha.

Then one of the Mods froze the thread because apparently simply asking people what their fav pony is isn't "likely to provoke discussion"... Maybe I should have just posted a thread about a gay, black feminist who go raped by a casual games platform... THAT'S bound to generate some in-depth discussion.
:L

So you're now officially a brony, huh. But really, you're still pretty new here so here's the jist of things: If you make a thread about ponies, no matter how innocent, it WILL be locked/frozen. Haters will always make some sort of comment flaming bronies, and there answer back will always be "Well I awnsered the question didn't I!" when all they're really doing is being a dick.

PhunkyPhazon:
snip

Well yeah, it's always the vocal minority who gets noticed.
Also, around about the start of both seasons, when 3/5 threads were about MLP and bronies were constantly posting pony gifs and taking it off topic, that was fucking annoying.

hazabaza1:

PhunkyPhazon:
snip

Also, around about the start of both seasons, when 3/5 threads were about MLP and bronies were constantly posting pony gifs and taking it off topic, that was fucking annoying.

Season 3 starts in september, so try to survive the shitstorm if you can. Personally I'll just be revelling in the awesomeness that will be season 3, not being a dick here on the Escapist by talking about it constantly.

ToastiestZombie:

hazabaza1:

PhunkyPhazon:
snip

Season 3 starts in september, so try to survive the shitstorm if you can. Personally I'll just be revelling in the awesomeness that will be season 3, not being a dick here on the Escapist by talking about it constantly.

I appreciate it.
But I managed to survive the bitching about ME3's ending, and that lasted even longer than most pony... 'sessions', I guess, do, so I should be fine.

hazabaza1:

ToastiestZombie:

hazabaza1:

I appreciate it.
But I managed to survive the bitching about ME3's ending, and that lasted even longer than most pony... 'sessions', I guess, do, so I should be fine.

Ahh, the great fires of Mass Effect 3. That was even worse than the great feminist shitstorm that only just finished. The shower of ponies pales in comparison to it.

I've avoided Counter Strike because I've heard it has one of the worst fan bases around. Also because it doesn't really interest me that much.

ToastiestZombie:

TizzytheTormentor:
Brace yourselves, insecure bronies are coming to defend the show from haters and people who genuinely dislike the show.

I love Adventure Time, but good lord I wish that gender-bent episode never happened, not only was it boring, but no one in the fandom will shut up about it, it was done as a joke to the fanfiction writers (the end of the episode pissed people off, it was brilliant)

Fans who flipped their shit for the Marceline gender-bend, Marshall Lee, he literally had NO LINES and floated around for approximately 11 seconds (counted) and people are saying he is their favorite character, pathetic. I believe this also happened in MLP:FiM with the DJ Pony, nothing stood out about it (4 seconds of screen time I believe) and somehow (I really don't know how) has a fucking huge fan-base.

I don't let any fandom deter me from anything.

I find that more confusing than irritating, the fact that other background characters get barely any attention whilst other, pretty much the same background characters get no attention. But I think I get the DJ pony thing. Bronies make a LOT of dubstep, techno and electric music so I guess they needed some sort of DJ character for those, and Hasbro has encouraged her popularity by naming her in an advert, putting her on the official trading cards and giving her another appearance, and they hinted at a duet between her and the "classical music" pony (that's also a fan favourite) in season 3.

Statistics on the dubstep/brony thing?

Still irks me how a character who does absolutely NOTHING can get so popular, In Adventure Time, Marshall Lee did NOTHING, he looked at the main character, did the devil horn gesture and floated away, how does that result in people naming him their favorite character?

I don't mind the ensemble darkhorse when they have actually done something to earn their popularity, even of it isn't that important, but no lines and literally seconds of doing nothing results in the character becoming insanely popular, its just annoying.

There are always creepy/annoying and bad people in fandoms who give others in the fandom a bad name obviously. Mass Effect had that weird fiasco where they analyzed Tali's sweat in detail, that might be crossing the line...

...not to mention a pony sex toy *shudder*

Umm, no, I don't think so. Actually, I'm probably one of those Homestuck fans that puts others off Homestuck, (if you don't ship you're not a real fan! I joke, I joke).

Yes!!! I have avoided the rest of the mass effect series(only finished #1), the entire halo series, MLP, MOBA's, Naruto, and Bleach. Though the last two probably weren't about the fanbase so much as the actual show, but they were still a part of it.

Kungfu_Teddybear:
I've avoided Counter Strike because I've heard it has one of the worst fan bases around. Also because it doesn't really interest me that much.

It's not that bad. I play on only a couple servers. But they're nice people.

The Office server I play on is mostly jokes and I usually just hide and knife people that come by.

Sometimes it's hard to be a comic book fan. Comic book fans are very elitist and love to yell at you when you get something wrong. And Jesus, don't get me started on the Vs forums on comic book websites.

TizzytheTormentor:

ToastiestZombie:

TizzytheTormentor:
Brace yourselves, insecure bronies are coming to defend the show from haters and people who genuinely dislike the show.

I love Adventure Time, but good lord I wish that gender-bent episode never happened, not only was it boring, but no one in the fandom will shut up about it, it was done as a joke to the fanfiction writers (the end of the episode pissed people off, it was brilliant)

Fans who flipped their shit for the Marceline gender-bend, Marshall Lee, he literally had NO LINES and floated around for approximately 11 seconds (counted) and people are saying he is their favorite character, pathetic. I believe this also happened in MLP:FiM with the DJ Pony, nothing stood out about it (4 seconds of screen time I believe) and somehow (I really don't know how) has a fucking huge fan-base.

I don't let any fandom deter me from anything.

I find that more confusing than irritating, the fact that other background characters get barely any attention whilst other, pretty much the same background characters get no attention. But I think I get the DJ pony thing. Bronies make a LOT of dubstep, techno and electric music so I guess they needed some sort of DJ character for those, and Hasbro has encouraged her popularity by naming her in an advert, putting her on the official trading cards and giving her another appearance, and they hinted at a duet between her and the "classical music" pony (that's also a fan favourite) in season 3.

Statistics on the dubstep/brony thing?

Still irks me how a character who does absolutely NOTHING can get so popular, In Adventure Time, Marshall Lee did NOTHING, he looked at the main character, did the devil horn gesture and floated away, how does that result in people naming him their favorite character?

I don't mind the ensemble darkhorse when they have actually done something to earn their popularity, even of it isn't that important, but no lines and literally seconds of doing nothing results in the character becoming insanely popular, its just annoying.

There are always creepy/annoying and bad people in fandoms who give others in the fandom a bad name obviously. Mass Effect had that weird fiasco where they analyzed Tali's sweat in detail, that might be crossing the line...

...not to mention a pony sex toy *shudder*

Don't mention that... thing!

I don't think there is any statistics on that. But a friend linked me to a playlist with pretty much EVERY MLP fan song on it and about a quarter of those are some sort of dubstep or electro. But I think it's mainly an evolution that goes like this: Quite unique new pony shows up in the background of a show, fans name it, fans start to draw a few pieces of fan art of them, fans write fanfics about them, the entire fanbase agrees on a personality for them then finally Hasbro gives them another appearance. It's seemingly random, but really the more unique ones get picked out. There was one that looked like David Tennant, so the fans named him Dr Hooves. There was one that sat like a human, so she got picked out as a fan character. There was one with cross, derped eyes so the fans picked up on that. And such, it's one characteristic that singles them out in a sea of recolours.

As for the Adventure Time thing, I really don't get it either. I don't really do the Adventure Time fanbase, but I love the show itself.

Vault101:
*snip of the gods*

More just never admit to liking it to anyone that is a an open fan. Anime is a big one, Like a few films but frankly the TV shows are not something I enjoy at all.

Go on, guess. I don't think I need to tell you.
Other than that, The Witcher. Almost every fan I have seen is all about "Sophisticated, mature games for sophisticated, mature people such as myself. Go play your Call of Duty and Halo, dirty peasants, while I enjoy this delicate piece of art".
All I have to say to that is Fuck. You. Go stick a fork up your ass.

Considering the further developments in the case of Jim Holmes' movie theater rampage during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises which reveal that he may have been a demented Joker fan, the one thing that I might have avoided because of one of the fans if I were psychic and lived in Colorado would be that one specific screening of TDKR. That's it.

Fans who think that they are married to Wolverine or are the re-incarnation of Aeris Gainsborough are nothing compared to people inspired to kill people because of works of fiction such as The Catcher in the Rye or Natural Born Killers. Unlike the latter, the former can not harm you if you pay them no mind.

ToastiestZombie:

So you're now officially a brony, huh. But really, you're still pretty new here so here's the jist of things: If you make a thread about ponies, no matter how innocent, it WILL be locked/frozen. Haters will always make some sort of comment flaming bronies, and there answer back will always be "Well I awnsered the question didn't I!" when all they're really doing is being a dick.

The funny thing this is there wasn't a rude word said anywhere to anyone. It was either "r a r i t y ... I think you're mispelling Pinkie Pie" or "Ohhhh this is a pony thread, have fun ya'll"

Then one dude "Reported for terrorism" and the thread was froze, nothing to do with the comments that were coming in every minute, just because I didn't 'Put enough thought into my post'.

Apparently that mod got pulled up on it because there was no reason to freeze it.

None for me, really. As some of the people here have said, I don't let whatever is in question be ruined by others that like it.

Kungfu_Teddybear:

In my experience, it's not that the people who play are annoying, insensitive, etc. It's just that the few people who still play it are either hacking or so incredibly good at it that new players like me don't stand a ghost of a chance. :(

I will not listen to any band whose members (and usually fans) have emo haircuts. Short, "normal" haircuts put me off too. I know it's a bit irrational, but it's just like Pavlov's dog I suppose. Pretty much all of the good metal bands I know have members with long, symmetrical hair.

Also, the Sonic fanbase. Goddamn. It seems to be made up almost entirely of autistic people. I love the "SANIC HEGEHOG" meme which takes the piss out of them though.

I've heard that MOBA players give newbs a very hard time, which puts me off of trying out LoL or anything like it (I may try out DoTA 2 when it comes out, as we'll all be newbs then).

Lethos:

Captcha: "Political Party." I certainly hope not.

Political parties could be relevant to this thread. I personally would like Labour if it wasn't for the number of Blairites still there. I've also heard that a lot of Americans would vote Republican if it weren't for all the insane teabaggers in it.

Vegosiux:
Not because of the fan base per se, but hype aversion and hype backlash are serious problems with me sometimes. If something is so hyped up that it's allegedly nothing short of the second coming, then I really have a problem trying it only because I know it's [i]not[i] the second coming, so I suspect the hype is trying to cover for inadequacies I'd find a buggerance.

Usually, however, I do tend to try things out, but then annoy the fanbase by being down-to-the-ground and telling them how the thing isn't nearly as awesome as they make it out to be.

This, and this applies to PORTAL.

That's right people, Portal is okay. And I'm not just trying to be controversial; it was fun... for a little while. And it was basically just a 2-hour physics demo. I've gotten more (and more riveting) playtime out of flash games.

It's just. Not. That. Good.

ToastiestZombie:
I really think threads like these should just be locked, they're just places for people to call fandoms names and hate on them, probably causing a flame war. They all end in flame wars.

OT:None, because if a product's good I don't fucking care if there are dicks in the "fandom" of it. I'm not going to stop loving MLP because of some sick twat making a sex plushie of Lyra, why would I? It's like a person not eating food because of fat people, it makes no sense other than needless hate and a person who might be avoiding something they may like because of some bastard.

Have to agree with this.

In fact, it could be said that I can't get into Hatred, i.e. be a hater, for two reasons.

1) It's Hatred. Actively hating something is just plain horrible. If you don't care for something that's fine, but that is no excuse to try to make others feel bad about liking it. There is no excuse, period.
I'd like to quote what Linkara said when he refused to make a furry joke during his Countdown review.

"Oh get over it! Not everyone is interested in the same things you are, internet!"

2) Ironically, the fanbase of Hatred, i.e. haters, are among the worst aspects of the internet. I believe that haters and fanboys are basically the same. However, the more I see the more I'm started to believe that haters are worse than fanboys.

From my experience, fanboys will rage at you if you criticize what they like, but for the most part will leave it at that. (There are exception but they're referred to as "exceptions" for a reason.)
Haters on the other hand, actively seek out what they hate just so they can't rip into it and belittle those that like it. They try to use "I just don't want people shoving this stuff down my throat" as a justification. News flash! Someone having a MLP themed forum avatar does NOT mean they're trying to force it down your throat!

I wouldn't say that. Some fan bases can get really annoying and pretentious Star Wars, Star Trek, MLP, ect. But that doesn't distract form what they like I like 2 of those but it doesn't change the fact that the fans are annoying as hell.

Loop Stricken:

Vault101:

also unrelated but Tali from Mass Effect....dear god, I feel dirty for saying I like that charachter

Hey hey hey now! Tali is awesome!

I don't think she was saying she din't like Tali, but can't stand the obsessive that wonder what her sweat tastes like. (Yes there was an actual topic about that on bsn)

OT: Sonic fans

Yeah, I read that thread. I thought it was pretty cool!

What could possibly make a man like Tali more? Learning that her sweat was a natural performance enhancer!
Keeps that xenophilia goin' all night long!

Vault101:

I knew it was going to be that.

I have a pretty healthy liking for anime. I suppose being purely a dubbed viewer helps me separate myself from Otakus or Weeaboos.

Not that any subbed fan is automatically either of those. I'm just Saying, it helps.

Loop Stricken:
Yeah, I read that thread. I thought it was pretty cool!

What could possibly make a man like Tali more? Learning that her sweat was a natural performance enhancer!
Keeps that xenophilia goin' all night long!

They said it was a performance enhancer? Where the hell did they get that?

Anything Homestuck, or anime related. Just because of how obnoxious the fans are (There are groups of people in my town who cosplay as Homestuck "Trolls" or whatever the fuck they're called, and harass people around town in groups of sniveling social disorders idiots.) As for anime, all that needs to be said is; weeaboos.

I tried reading Homestuck, but I absolutely hated the format. I only really tolerated it for Problem Sleuth (for the relatively brief time I read it) because I thought it was an actual point-and-click adventure game. As a webcomic, I can't stand the way Homestuck is written (I am not the character, I don't want to be addressed as such). Not to mention walls of text and how jarring the switch between characters was.

However, I wouldn't hate Homestuck as much as I do if it wasn't for seeing it absolutely EVERYWHERE. I don't know much about the fandom (as I try my best to completely avoid anything related to the comic), but it's so widespread that it's made my opinion of the comic sour.

To a lesser degree, I'm now completely sick of seeing anything related to The Avengers. Although I didn't think the movie was anything more than a fun ride anyway.

Although I really, really like League of Legends, I tend not to talk much with others, or hang around the community forums, because that's one of the biggest concentrations of assholish, dipshiting, badmouthing gamers I have ever seen in my entire life as a gamer. In fact, one of the reasons I don't play other MOBAs (besides liking LoL a lot) is because people tell me time and time again that the LoL community is one of the best in MOBA games.

Seriously, go to the forums just a little. You don't need to play the game, just go. If that is the best they can do, what is the worst? I dunno, and I don't want to find out.

The Plunk:
I will not listen to any band whose members (and usually fans) have emo haircuts. Short, "normal" haircuts put me off too. I know it's a bit irrational, but it's just like Pavlov's dog I suppose. Pretty much all of the good metal bands I know have members with long, symmetrical hair.

Also, the Sonic fanbase. Goddamn. It seems to be made up almost entirely of autistic people. I love the "SANIC HEGEHOG" meme which takes the piss out of them though.

I've heard that MOBA players give newbs a very hard time, which puts me off of trying out LoL or anything like it (I may try out DoTA 2 when it comes out, as we'll all be newbs then).

Lethos:

Captcha: "Political Party." I certainly hope not.

Political parties could be relevant to this thread. I personally would like Labour if it wasn't for the number of Blairites still there. I've also heard that a lot of Americans would vote Republican if it weren't for all the insane teabaggers in it.

As a LoL player I can tell you that if you create an account in the EU server, it's easy. There aren't many lvl30 players with smurf accounts there, so matchmaking Garen-tees (you'll get it when you start playing) that you will be mostly classed with people from your level.

Expect to use the mute button a lot after lvl20 though.

xXGeckoXx:

Don't worry otaku culture is focused on a very small set of anime, If you watch good stuff then you will find it's shockingly mature (you are already on the right track with the works of satoshi kon, paprika and perfect blue). But there is lots lots more, try:

Ghost in the Shell; start with the movie. Fascinating sci-fi

Basically these are all anime that are just too good for the stupid fan culture to reach, things you want to avoid if you don't want to see that side; long shows like bleach and especially Naruto. "Moe", cutesy girls doing cutesy stuff, much of it is retarded, it takes a while to find the gems in the rough and most of the time it is not worth it.

it was the "elevator representing different sections of a persons mind" that stood out to me most

but yeah...thanks for the suggestions! I was going to look into paranoia agent but didt bother to mention (as it is a series, albeit a short-ish one)

Ive been mean to see AKIRA but even that might be a bit much for me

Binnsyboy:

I have a pretty healthy liking for anime. I suppose being purely a dubbed viewer helps me separate myself from Otakus or Weeaboos.

Not that any subbed fan is automatically either of those. I'm just Saying, it helps.

hahah....yeah, I actually prefer subs, mainly personal preference....I don't see why people are so adverse to subs (not just anime) but I guess it can be distracting for some

Definitely.
I like plenty of things with terrible fanbases (Silent Hill is a big one), but I liked that and THEN I found out about the fans. It's a lot harder to get into something when you know PRIOR that a lot of really awful fans are associated with.
For example, Mass Effect.
I know it's probably good, but frankly I don't want to be grouped in with people that try to find a chemical compound for a fictional character's sweat.
I know that not all of the fans are like that, but there are quite a few.
Oh, and I avoid anything that's Homestuck related like the plague thanks to the fans.

Kahunaburger:

Vault101:

I lasted about three seconds into watching that haha. I'm pretty much the same way with a lot of anime, for pretty much the same reason. There's some really quality Japanese animation out there, but you wouldn't know it if you were just looking at how the American fanbase responds to it.

so sad Satoshi Kon is dead :(......

and I'll admit my room can look kind of like that at times (excpet non anime related stuff)

dylanmc12:

Vault101:

Oh god, I feel like killing myself now. Someone making themselves.. that.. saying "kai" all the time like it MAKES them Japanese.. yeah, you like Japanese culture and anime.. I do too.. but please, don't make yourself a social disgrace.

I feel like crying now.

So, Halo. Honestly, I hate the fanbase. Like all of COD's fans got high on meth and got really rowdy. It's just.. *sigh*

And when I did play the games I hated them.

And Portal, all the cake-jokes. Sometimes they're funny, most of the time, they're not. But, it's the opposite of Halo. I really liked Portal, massively. I liked the fun platforming, the story, and putting turrets into an infinite drop.

I watched this again yesterday (for amusment) and I realised...

thats like me....but with Anime

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'd say I stopped caring about the crazy fans of anything I liked, such as games and anime, when I was about 13. Why should I be turned off of something I enjoy because of a few freaky fans or weirdos?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked