First Man Known to be cured of AIDS

Pages 1 2 NEXT

A man (Timothy Ray Brown)known as the "Berlin" patient has been apparently cured of the AIDS virus. Apparently he had a treatment for leukemia which apparently cured him, giving him a resistant strain to HIV. Doctors say he will stay cured.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-believed-cured-aids-says-hes-still-cured-164636023.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57479106-10391704/timothy-ray-brown-man-thought-to-be-first-cured-of-aids-says-hes-still-cured/

I find this amazing because this is one of those incurable diseases like cancer. I had a family member who died of AIDS so this gives me hope. What do you all think of this?

That's very good news. Next we cure cancer, then jetpacks.

Gods this is amazing news! I don't know what else to say other than this is such fantastic news to hear.

Hold your medical horses people. Medicine isnt this easy.

One study on a single dude ever? The drug may be specific to him, he may be a naturally more resistant mutant. The drug itself may breed a "super aids" that is resistant to it. Also this science:

"Apparently he had a treatment for leukemia which apparently cured him, giving him a resistant strain to HIV. Doctors say he will stay cured." Makes no sense at all :/

A resistant strain of what...

Sorry to be such a downer but cmon lets review how science is normally perceived.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1623#comic

One dude unfortunately means very little until full scale human trials go on record.

EDIT:

"using a donor with a rare gene mutation that provides natural resistance to HIV."

So it isn't a drug. Its a tissue donation from an exceptional mutant. Ah... i think you should change it to "AIDS cured for people with the same blood type as this one person, everyone else royally fucked". How can you cure a lot of people using one dudes bone marrow? Hes gonna have to donate a fuck tonne to even save 100 :/ This requires major surgery for both parties.

Id include this in the OP.

Also:

"Brown says any remnants of the virus still in his body are dead and can't replicate." Is physically impossible. Virus's arnt alive. Science looks sketchy.

CmRet:
A man (Timothy Ray Brown)known as the "Berlin" patient has been apparently cured of the AIDS virus. Apparently he had a treatment for leukemia which apparently cured him, giving him a resistant strain to HIV. Doctors say he will stay cured.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-believed-cured-aids-says-hes-still-cured-164636023.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57479106-10391704/timothy-ray-brown-man-thought-to-be-first-cured-of-aids-says-hes-still-cured/

I find this amazing because this is one of those incurable diseases like cancer. I had a family member who died of AIDS so this gives me hope. What do you all think of this?

Did you not read the article, this happened YEARS ago.

Padwolf:
Gods this is amazing news! I don't know what else to say other than this is such fantastic news to hear.

ruedyn:

Happened years ago, the "cure" cannot be used as an actual cure unless you want to give every AIDS patient on earth a bone marrow transplant.

BiscuitTrouser:
snip

Yes, it was from a bone marrow (and it was ages ago).

This is not a "cure" that will benefit anyone right now unless they can work out how it cured him which they've been working at for decades.

Matthew94:
the "cure" cannot be used as an actual cure unless you want to give every AIDS patient on earth a bone marrow transplant.

DOn't think that's the real issue. If you said "We can cure your AIDs but you're going to have to have a bone marrow transplant." I don't think anyone would think "Nah I'll just have AIDs" and you'd probably find most people would have a family member or close friend who would donate... At least. I hope so anyway... "Man, they've found a way to cure my AIDs, but I need a bone marrow donor." "Bone marrow?... How bad is having AIDs really?"

Spot1990:

Matthew94:
the "cure" cannot be used as an actual cure unless you want to give every AIDS patient on earth a bone marrow transplant.

DOn't think that's the real issue. If you said "We can cure your AIDs but you're going to have to have a bone marrow transplant." I don't think anyone would think "Nah I'll just have AIDs" and you'd probably find most people would have a family member or close friend who would donate... At least. I hope so anyway... "Man, they've found a way to cure my AIDs, but I need a bone marrow donor." "Bone marrow?... How bad is having AIDs really?"

Let me clarify, you need someone with the very very very very rare immunity to HIV to donate their marrow.

Did I mention it was very rare?

Lets not unsheath and go on a banging spree just yet, wait to see how this pans out. But this seems like fantastic news, hopefully this pans out.

Matthew94:

Spot1990:

Matthew94:

Let me clarify, you need someone with the very very very very rare immunity to HIV to donate their marrow.

That does create a problem alright. Now I'm just picturin ten guys in a room being told they can cure AIDs if they donate. "How much?" "Well... All of it."

After a brief read through my hopes for the cure finally being found were dashed. Seems like a pretty exceptional case. :/

See what happens when you have an hiv positive attitude.

Spot1990:

Matthew94:

Spot1990:

That does create a problem alright. Now I'm just picturin ten guys in a room being told they can cure AIDs if they donate. "How much?" "Well... All of it."

I wouldnt be surprised if scientists were in the prowl to try and find more of these people in order to examine the "cure" further.

Lucky bastards, immune to one of the deadliest viruses on earth.

Matthew94:

Spot1990:

Matthew94:

I wouldnt be surprised if scientists were in the prowl to try and find more of these people in order to examine the "cure" further.

Lucky bastards, immune to one of the deadliest viruses on earth.

Yeah but I can imagine that when that info became public those people suddenly came down with every STD under the sun. Maybe even created some new ones.

To give some context, this is good news for Timothy and a very small number of people like him, but it's not a reliable cure for AIDS.

Bone marrow transplants are difficult and expensive, and they also require an extremely close genetic match between the donor and the recipient. The supply of bone marrow cells from naturally HIV resistant people is not going to be a particularly dependable resource, and won't even be applicable to most of the world's population.

While it's encouraging to see that this very rare immunity can be transmitted. It is only the very first step on the road to a reliable cure for everyone. It's not the end point yet, and it doesn't mean we can all stop worrying about HIV.

I'm more surprised larger news outlets are just finding out about this. Unicorn Booty (and other gay rights new blogs) reported on this guy and the cure months ago.

BiscuitTrouser:
"Brown says any remnants of the virus still in his body are dead and can't replicate." Is physically impossible. Virus's arnt alive. Science looks sketchy.

The word dead may not be the most accurate but for all intents and purposes you might as well use it if the virus is made permanently inactive. Keep in mind this isn't a science paper but an interview, it's okay to be a little inaccurate sometimes there.

I'm very skeptical of this. HIV takes 10 years to complete its course as a disease normally. Plus after about two years, the level of HIV in the blood is very low as it's gone into every other cell by that point.

Plus 100% percent eradication of a virus is almost impossible, it mutates and replicates too fast. Its a very bold claim he's going to stay cured, if even a few cells of the virus are functioning it'll start all over again.

Sketchy science is sketchy. Not to disparage this but having a bone marrow transplant as a Leukemia treatment should not default on curing his AIDs. That isn't how HIV, transplants or CANCER works. It could be a giant fluke oooorrrrr it could be false. I'd like to be wrong, but I'm just not buying it right now.

That's great and all, but I'll wait and see if this is a real thing or a one off anomaly. It could be specific to this one man.And further more we don't know if it's permanent or only lasts so long.

Once again MEN achieve greatness for MANkind.
What if he gets infected again?

ruedyn:

jetpacks > cancer

captcha : which one is hardest? lol

Sounds bullshit to me. Way too many oddities and weak science.

This seems a bit dodgy. Not convinced yet. At best, this means that a cure is possible.

Why does this news story pop up every few months. This is not a cure for HIV. This will not work for all forms of HIV. Most importantly THIS IS NOT A CURE FOR HIV. So keep a helmet on your little soldier. If your unfortunate enough to have HIV, and your unfortunate enough to also develop leukemia but you are fortunate enough to find a bone marrow donor and a donor with a rare mutation in their CCD5 co-receptor then you might have a similar result. However the chances of finding a bone marrow donor with this mutation as well are very very low, add in the fact that the risks of a bone marrow transplant is why this have not even been considered as a cure for HIV in all the years since it has happened.

this is hardly anything new. scientists have know for a long time, at least since the 90s that some people are immune or resistant to HIV. there have also been numerous reports of people beating the virus naturally from all over the world. this is not the first person to "beat" aids, just the first time doctors deliberately went out of their way to get a donor with the immunity for the chance it would actually help.

as people have said, its not really a cure, its kind of a cheat, something that can only be used on a very small portion of people with aids. i mean they have known about the immunity in some people for almost 2 decades and this is apparently the first time they actually got a donor to patient transfer to work.

the mutated gene is normally carried by people whose ancestors lived in western europe and provided immunity to the black death, and turns out people who carry the gene are also immune to HIV.

while it could work i guess you are looking at a very rare gene plus finding someone who is a match in general for this is extremely difficult even if you found someone who had the gene and was a match its a very painful proceedure

JSoup:
I'm more surprised larger news outlets are just finding out about this. Unicorn Booty (and other gay rights new blogs) reported on this guy and the cure months ago.

I posted this just as I heard about it on the news. So to me this story is only a day old. When did this Unicorn Booty report on this? Can you find it at all?

That's great news, but it's a little weird how I found this out on this thread before on TV though.

ruedyn:

Is that what you want it to be or how you will think it will be?

I'd choose a jetpack over a cure for cancer any day. Unless, you know... I have cancer.

Spot1990:

The second problem with it is that usually when you search the bone marrow donor registries for a compatible donor, you'll more often than not find less than five donors that are compatible with you.

In the entire world.

The chances you're compatible to one of the people with the mutation in question is literally one in a billion. If I turn out to be HIV positive at one point, I'm not going to hold my breath for one of those transplants.

CmRet:

JSoup:

I posted this just as I heard about it on the news. So to me this story is only a day old. When did this Unicorn Booty report on this? Can you find it at all?

May 17, 2011
http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2011/05/17/worlds-first-man-cured-of-hiv/

Captcha: teh inter webs

They found people with immunity to it as long as 17 years ago, first ones where in Africa, then a dude in New York (this is all stuff from TV in the late 90's) so it's not even unprecedented.

So no one was cured of aids?

CURSE YOU DINKLEBERG

Was I the only person to notice the comedy value in the statement

'I find this amazing because this is one of those incurable diseases like cancer'

Yes he was cured of an incurable viral condition while undergoing THE CURE for an apparently incurable condition!!? I assume since he is still alive he was

a). Cured of the AIDS and
b). Cured of the cancer

Beyond that old news is old!

I find this a bit hard to believe.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked