What Do You Refuse to Accept as Fact?

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

I refuse to accept that Kurt Cobain shot himself. The "evidence", if it can be so called, simply doesn't add up. My personal theory is that he's tooling around in France right now. Why France? 'Cos it's my quasi-mad conspiracy theory, and I say he's in France, that's why.

afroebob:
That "Romeo and Juliet" was supposed to be romantic. It was not a romantic story, the story was about two things:

1. The nonsense feuding between two families and how things like that only end in tragedy. This is generally accepted.

2. A message about the irrational behavior of teenagers who think they are in love when they barely know the person and can't understand the complexities of being in love. Romeo and Juliet weren't in love. They were never in love. They met for a week at best and Juliet was only thirteen years old. Them killing each other isn't a message about how much they love each other, it's about how stupid teenagers are when they think they love someone. Compare their behavior to that of a high school couple. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I quoted you mainly to say that I'm inclined to agree with you, but also to do you the somewhat condescending favor of correcting your spelling and grammar. Usually I'm not the sort of pedant who goes around correcting forum posts, but you really got me channeling my inner English teacher for some reason. If you have the time, try proofreading before posting as it makes things much easier to understand.

NameIsRobertPaulson:
OT: I refuse to believe our genes create the disposition to be gay or not. The idea you can fix homosexuality like you can fix Down Syndrome sickens me.

Well technically you can "Fix" being blonde, "Fix" being tall, "Fix" being smart and everything else through genetics, if we were to advance to that stage. Sexuality is no different.
The fact that genes give someone the disposition to be tall, blonde, smart or homosexual does not make them something that needs to be "Fixed". Really its all in how you consider it. Do you consider it something that could be "Fixed" like Down Syndrome, or do you consider it something that is utterly irrelevant like hair colour?

Generally you can't refuse a fact, because it is a fact. So if you refuse it, you are just wrong.

Scrustle:
The Anakin Skywalker we saw the prequel films cannot be the same person as Darth Vader in the original films. They just aren't the same person.

ninja'd sort of :P ,but close enough

Joccaren:

NameIsRobertPaulson:
OT: I refuse to believe our genes create the disposition to be gay or not. The idea you can fix homosexuality like you can fix Down Syndrome sickens me.

Well technically you can "Fix" being blonde, "Fix" being tall, "Fix" being smart and everything else through genetics, if we were to advance to that stage. Sexuality is no different.
The fact that genes give someone the disposition to be tall, blonde, smart or homosexual does not make them something that needs to be "Fixed". Really its all in how you consider it. Do you consider it something that could be "Fixed" like Down Syndrome, or do you consider it something that is utterly irrelevant like hair colour?

I think it SHOULD be irrelevant, but I also see certain extreme groups using it as a "Gay Cure". That's messing with people on a scary level.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted

Captcha : make it so

i refuse to believe that humans strive for peace and love.

we love blood way too much.

I refuse to believe the writers will reveal The Doctor's name.

Because it'll be either a total let down, or will happen off screen and we'll never find out.

Also, I refuse to believe the discovery channel broadcast all our defense plans for if we're ever invaded by aliens.

McMullen:

Ledan:
snip

But you don't know why c is the speed limit. You rejected it out of hand without bothering to learn anything about it.

If people who make a career out of investigating a thing find no reason to reconsider one of its points for a whole century, but you reject it out of hand without even understanding how it works first, aren't you being more foolish than a person who says a thing will never be possible?

This argument has gone on long enough, so I think this will be my last post on the subject.
C is the speed limit for everything we've currently observed.
We still shouldn't call it an impassible barrier, because there is still the unobserved. That's my issue with people saying "its impossible to go faster than the speed of light". Could be that there is something beyond what we've observed that does.

Lonewolfm16:

We already proved relativity with tests involving satellites. Relativity is pretty well proven by this point. We have obsevred time dilation.

It's not like I'm saying relativity is wrong, I'm just a bit iffy with it. Maybe that will go away with me studying it, or maybe I'll always feel that we need to delve deeper.

That's my opinion on the subject, and good day to you all.

lacktheknack:

Ledan:
(It's impossible for me to spontaneously turn into chocolate within the next ten seconds).

Actually, according to quantum mechanics, if we happened to float through a pulsating quantum field in the next ten seconds during an anomaly...

Sorry, that wasn't nice.[/quote]

Hmmm. Guess I should have rephrased that to: The chance of me turning into chocolate in the next ten seconds is so close to zero, that it could be called impossible.

Sorry, that wasn't nice.

No offense taken.

Ledan:

It's not like I'm saying relativity is wrong, I'm just a bit iffy with it. Maybe that will go away with me studying it, or maybe I'll always feel that we need to delve deeper.

We'll always need to delve deeper. Just saying you shouldn't disagree with a well-tested theory without understanding it first. You should at least look it up on Wikipedia before talking about it next time.

The little kid inside me refuses to believe that Pokemon aren't real.

Japan must be hiding them somewhere

Nimzabaat:

Crazycat690:
That there is a life after this, I mean, I watch many shows related to spiritual things and often think to myself, "My, what a nice fantasy that is". However, I cannot believe in an afterlife, and if there is I couldn't be happy or sad about it since emotions are produced in the brain which dies. Same goes for the mind and everything, so it's just impossible... Hearing about how people find "near death experiences" pleasant with a welcoming light and seeing relatives, science says this is just mindtricks which happens when the brain is shutting down.. I'm fine with that, I don't mind feeling calm and happy before my brain shuts down and my mind disappears permanently.

I've often wondered if I find this to be a good or a bad thing, but it's mostly good for me, who would wanna be around for an eternity? It's hard enough to live with all the bad things you do for about 40-50 years, so I choose to see it as a welcome relief.

Sorry for being so serious :P Here's a joke, two monkeys were flying over a jungle, the first one says "Why do you have a meatball in your eye??", the other one responds with "What?" and the first one repeats the question a couple of times until the second one finally shouts "I can't hear you, I got a meatball in my eye!".

I was in the same boat about not believing in life after death. Then I met a ghost. True story. (Well encountered more than met, we didn't exactly interact). I highly recommend the experience because it certainly broadened my views on life.

Oh sure, there's some ghosts living down the streets, maybe if I meet them I will be a believer!

Seriously, it's not an easy thing to do that which you ask of me O.o Tell me what you mean with "met a ghost"?

I refuse to believe that people perceive colour the same-

Revnak:
That other people perceive color as I do. I kinda skip over most epistemology stuff as I honestly couldn't care less, but ever since I was a kid I have wondered about this.

Well damn, I just got ninja'd.

I'm quite surprised, normally when I bring this up with people they give me a blank stare.

I refuse to believe there is a 4th Indiana Jones film, released or in development, as having one would be stupid and Steven Spielberg is not George Lucas.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Joccaren:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I think it SHOULD be irrelevant, but I also see certain extreme groups using it as a "Gay Cure". That's messing with people on a scary level.

Welcome to the frightening world of Eugenics.

BabyKing: Have your baby YOUR way

I refuse to believe that the repeating decimal 0.333... is a completely accurate representation of the fraction 1/3.

Stretch it out as long as you'd like, there will always be an infinitesimal degree of error.
And while three thirds equals one, 0.999... does not.

I refuse to believe in subjectivity. Opinions are facts about a person, not a relative truth. If i prefer vanilla to chocolate then that is a truth about me, not a preference. there is a right and a wrong to every thing, if it appears to be a subjective topic then it is either a personal truth such as taste preference or we just don't know enough about it to know the correct answer. there are certain things that are enjoyed universally, and avoided universally, with an exceptible percentage of outliers in most cases.

to make this game related, i do not believe that The Old Republic is good. it is far too buggy, unstable, over moderated, laggy, and unengaged to be considered "good" by any standard other then itself, and even then when compared to its own beta is suffered a decrease in quality rather than an increase. its strengths are all painfully weak, with poor voice acting, in some cases with major characters chaining voice actors in the middle of a cut scene, and its weaknesses would be considered killing blows in any other game, with random crashes, freezing, clipping, and art design that is downright insulting to anyone familiar with the original KOTOR series. such as how the "empire" uses star destroyer rip-offs and the republic have some weird and made up design, while the republic had used the triangle shape for their ships up until it became the empire in episode 3.

platinawolf:
I refuse to believe that we have proof of that we arn't just a dream/computersimulation, as we don't have any proof whatsoever that our reality is "real" that isn't based on other evidence that is based on a set of rules we have created to understand the world we live in.

its one of those things that are considered to be un-provable with current science, and therefore inconsequential to life itself. the only thing in the universe that anyone can truly prove is the existence of themselves as a conscious mind with the statement "i think, therefore i am" which states that the process of pondering self-existence itself requires the answer of existence to be true. this cannot be applied to other people, i can only prove myself, and you can only prove yourself. The existence of everything else operates under the assumption that our senses are reliable to an acceptable degree, and that this existence is not a simulation or hallucination for the purpose of getting things done, otherwise we would all just sit around wondering about it all day.

I refuse to accept when someone says there is no other way. Doesn't matter is everyone on earth believes and says something can only be done one way, I will fight to find another. I suppose that is just my stubbornness but whatever.

Andre Rapp:
I refuse to believe in subjectivity. Opinions are facts about a person, not a relative truth. If i prefer vanilla to chocolate then that is a truth about me, not a preference. there is a right and a wrong to every thing, if it appears to be a subjective topic then it is either a personal truth such as taste preference or we just don't know enough about it to know the correct answer. there are certain things that are enjoyed universally, and avoided universally, with an exceptible percentage of outliers in most cases.

It's all in how you frame it.

"I think vanilla tastes better than chocolate." - Fact
"Vanilla tastes better than chocolate." - Opinion

C F:
I refuse to believe that the repeating decimal 0.333... is a completely accurate representation of the fraction 1/3.

Stretch it out as long as you'd like, there will always be an infinitesimal degree of error.

Holy crap you just blew my mind :|

anyway back on topic:

relativity

C F:

Infinity is a hard thing to get your mind around but there is no error because the 3s don't end, saying "stretch it out as long you'd like" implies you imagining an ending but there is none. This is a pretty hard concept to get your mind around because the human mind has real difficulty thinking about infinity; it can't visualize it so it tends to replace it with "very large." But infinity is completely different in behaviour from any other number no matter how large. 0.333... isn't merely equal to 1/3 it is 1/3. They are two different ways of saying the same thing kind of like a pair and two.

If 0.999...!= 1 then 1>0.999..., under the laws of the real numbers if a>b there exists some number c such that a>c>b. but there is no such number here so 0.999...!=1 cannot be true which means we have to accept 0.999...=1. Unless you can give me a number between 0.999.. and 1.

Buretsu:

Andre Rapp:

It's all in how you frame it.

"I think vanilla tastes better than chocolate." - Fact
"Vanilla tastes better than chocolate." - Opinion

no, "vanilla is better than chocolate." is simply an untrue statement because it presumes to state the preferred flavor of everyone. "taste" is an interaction between one thing and another, and would be better classified as a variable. tastes are variable, one person prefers the taste of one flavor over another, and for every taste it is a fact that that person prefers one over another, but saying one "tastes" better would simply be false because a flavor itself cannot taste, it can only be tasted, and upon being tasted it can only be classified by the taster, thus the taster in question cannot be removed from the equation. therefore vanilla vs chocolate is not an opinion, but a fact that is dependent on the variable of the taster in question.

I refuse to accept that the cake is a lie.

Also that Kamina died. He is too bad ass to die.

afroebob:
That Romeo and Juliet was supposed to be romantic. It was not a romantic story, the story was about 2 things:
1. The nonsense feuding between two families and how things like that only end in tragedy (this is generally excepted0
2. A message about the irrationable behavior of teenagers who think they are in love when they barely know the person and still can't even understand the complexities of being in love (most people don't think like this but seriously, come on. Romeo and Juliet wheren't in love. They never where in love. They met for an all of a week at best and they where 13 years old (Romeo was probably a little older but Juliet was 13, that I know). Them killing eachother isn't a message of how much they love each other, its about how stupid teenagers are when they think they love someone. Compare there behavior to that of a highschool couple. Ya. Now you see what I'm getting at?).

It wasn't supposed to be romantic, it was written as a satire based around adolescent lust and just how stupid it seems once you get past it. It was Shakespeares version of whats now known as a Vegas wedding essentially. The romantic connotations were added at some point after, I also wonder where the hell they got the idea it was a romance. It's a romance that lasts days, kills a bunch of people including the "lovers" themselves and all could have been avoided if anybody had just said "hang on a second, this is a terrible idea".

Lilani:
I refuse to believe Walt Disney was an anti-Semite. There is just no evidence of it at all. He used no characters or stereotypes that other animators and entertainers weren't using at the time. As far as I've been able to discover, the very first charge of this came from the Simpsons. It just amazes me how much people take it seriously now.

He did know Adolf Hitler, and they were known to be close associates, with Hitler having a Donald Duck costume that he would actually wear sometimes when Walt came over. I wish I were joking. But I suppose that, prior to WWII, Hitler was just another world leader, albeit a successful one.

But the mental image of Hitler dressed as Donald duck is not one to be easily erased. Also, Hitler was a talented painter, drawing scenes of nature and architecture. Reverse skeletons in the closet?

That Guy Ya Know:

C F:

Infinity is a hard thing to get your mind around but there is no error because the 3s don't end, saying "stretch it out as long you'd like" implies you imagining an ending but there is none. This is a pretty hard concept to get your mind around because the human mind has real difficulty thinking about infinity; it can't visualize it so it tends to replace it with "very large." But infinity is completely different in behaviour from any other number no matter how large. 0.333... isn't merely equal to 1/3 it is 1/3. They are two different ways of saying the same thing kind of like a pair and two.

If 0.999...!= 1 then 1>0.999..., under the laws of the real numbers if a>b there exists some number c such that a>c>b. but there is no such number here so 0.999...!=1 cannot be true which means we have to accept 0.999...=1. Unless you can give me a number between 0.999.. and 1.

Perhaps the cardinal number system is flawed?

kiri2tsubasa:
I refuse to accept that Valves stranglehold on PC gaming is a good thing. It will lead to a monopoly if it continues.

only if consumers continue to buy from them, so as long as Valve makes products that people want, we allow it to become a monopoly

Sonic Doctor:

Troublesome Lagomorph:
When they started letting locals into my school (it used to only be for missionaries and foreign families, basically) they had to put signs in all the bathrooms saying "please don't throw used toilet paper in the waste bin." Even so, people still throw their used toilet paper in the waste bin. Fucking nasty, man.

Ugh, that reminds of a stupid septic tank cleaning guy I heard talking a decade or so back.

My mom had called this guy to pump out the tank, and he told use, "You shouldn't be throwing your used toilet paper in the toilet because it is what ruins septic tanks. There is a special waste bin you can get to put the used toilet paper in, then when it fills up, you take the bag to the garbage dump."

I stopped listening to him when he said that was what he and his wife did.

Edit: I refuse to believe that guy was being serious.

similar thing happened at my home but instead, the guy said that the toilet paper doesn't breakdown well enough and causes solidification of the waste in the tank which can easily cause it to back up into the plumbing

MammothBlade:

Midgeamoo:

MammothBlade:
I refuse to accept that there is no such thing as magic or the supernatural. It would be a very boring world if there were nothing unexplainable by science, outside the boundaries of natural causality.

Isn't it a lot more boring just to say "magic did it" which is just 1 thing, rather than having this huge complicated explanation of how the universe works?

No, as long as you don't say "magic did it". No, the supernatural world would be a lot more complex than that. Magic would be explained in terms of the technique and skill of magic use. It would just be a separate set of phenomena to conventional science.

The fact that you have Rin as your avatar while saying that makes me laugh.
But yeah, I agree with you. I don't believe that all the mythologies and supernatural beliefs from all over the world can ever be explained using conventional thought and that "magic" as we know it doesn't have some kind of truth that we just don't understand.

NuclearShadow:
I refuse to accept the fact that Ghost Busters 3 will never happen with the original cast.
My life just won't be complete until they make one last one, my inner child screams for it!

I also refuse to believe that aliens visited this Earth in the past or modern times. No matter all the personal "accounts", no matter how many terrible photos and videos come out. All of the "theories" (and I am using that word VERY liberally here and not intending to give them any sense of possibility) are just awful that are behind them as well. No reasonable person could really examine all of this and deem any of it to be credible.

I don't believe in a world order conspiracies. People generally just fall into conflict and thus I believe it would be impossible in our current stage for our species to have a handful of people rule the entire world. There simply would be too many inner conflicts and it would fall apart if it could ever even reach that point to begin with. Secret societies may exist but only to the extend of aiding the success of their members and not ruling the world.

FalloutJack:
I refuse to accept any notion that the world will suddenly come to an en-

Golf clap to you sir.

the reason I tend to agree with the UFO things are look at all the accounts of UFOs all it takes for 1 out of the millions(maybe billions) to be right for UFOs to be real.

That Homestuck is any good.

I got introduced to it through the weird fandom. So now I think I sub-consciously refuse to like it.

Konaerix:

MammothBlade:

Midgeamoo:

Isn't it a lot more boring just to say "magic did it" which is just 1 thing, rather than having this huge complicated explanation of how the universe works?

No, as long as you don't say "magic did it". No, the supernatural world would be a lot more complex than that. Magic would be explained in terms of the technique and skill of magic use. It would just be a separate set of phenomena to conventional science.

The fact that you have Rin as your avatar while saying that makes me laugh.
But yeah, I agree with you. I don't believe that all the mythologies and supernatural beliefs from all over the world can ever be explained using conventional thought and that "magic" as we know it doesn't have some kind of truth that we just don't understand.

Hahaha. Well, I am hooked on Fate/Stay Night and Type-Moon in general. Maybe FSN has influenced me a bit, but I felt the same way before. I want magic and the supernatural to be real. Whether that's wishful thinking or actually being convinced that it could exist in compatibility with the laws of nature, who knows...

Aenir:

Hungry Donner:

Aenir:
I refuse to accept that Pluto is not a planet.

It's fine to consider it a planet, but if you do there are a ton of other trans-Neptunian objects you have to consider planets as well. Pluto is a modern day Ceres - at the time both were discovered they appeared unique and thus were granted planet status, but once scientists realized there were many more similar objects in the area the choice was demotion or accepting tons of new planets. Ceres at least is quite a bit larger than the other asteroids in the belt, Pluto can't make that claim.

Now both have dwarf planet status, which seems like an appropriate compromise to me.

I refuse to accept your logic.

That's because I don't have a cool Neil deGrasse Tyson 'stache. :(

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked