What Do You Refuse to Accept as Fact?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 16 NEXT

The one thing I know I'm hard-headed about is "facts" about global warming. I think it's pretty clear that the earth is getting generally hotter, but I don't know how much effect us humans are having on that. As such, I don't think there is a lot we can do to change it, even if it meant shutting down all productivity for a few decades. It just seems like the whole green movement, as well as things like carbon credits are nothing more than a marketing scheme that people like this buy into:

Obviously, needlessly polluting is bad, and "going green" doesn't hurt a damn thing, but it seems like we are in this mindset of IMPENDING DOOOOOOM which I just don't see. Penn and Teller did a bit on it, and their opening statement was reading a green movement article from a magazine. A magazine that was published in the 70's.

TL;DR. I'm just highly skeptical of something a lot of people are buying into.

Father Time:

bigfatcarp93:

Father Time:
The Holocaust.

I mean why would anyone have a problem with Jews, when has that ever happened?

Wait... are you saying you don't believe the Holocaust happened?

That was a joke.

Ah. My mistake.

bigfatcarp93:

Father Time:
The Holocaust.

I mean why would anyone have a problem with Jews, when has that ever happened?

Wait... are you saying you don't believe the Holocaust happened?

He must be referring to the people who refuse that it happened like..........certain someone on the high power of certain...organization in Italy. But i am just guessing right now, after all, we are NOT supposed to talk about that.

I refuse to believe that the USA is the best place on earth.

It doesn't even come close to best...

I absolutely refuse to accept that anything is possible to be objective! Everything is based on personal/human subjectivity.

Duffy13:

I should probably clarify that I don't believe in the fractional to decimal representation conversion and therefore disbelief the resulting proofs. To me 1/3 indicates a bounded piece and the .333... represents an infinite repeating pattern. The .999... = 1 is just the method that I noticed this and was annoyed by it. If someone can show me a proof/explanation for the fraction to decimal conversion I will probably rescind my disbelief.

So what you are saying is you don't think the same value can be represented by both an infinite sequence and a finite number?

I think I can show how it works with geometric sequences. Geometric sequences are infinite series with finite sums. For example
Is an infinite geometric series asis geometric, because each successive term can be obtained by multiplying the previous term by 1/2, which will sum to 1.

So the simplified formula for working out the sum of the series is:

where a is the first term and r is the common ratio(what each term is multiplied by to get the second term)

We can use this to show the relationship between an infinite decimal and it's fraction

We can express 0.777... as an infinite sum
So we can apply the above rule to it.

That's as close to a proof that I am aware of. I don't know whether or not that is enough for you to accept it as fact but it's the best I've got.

Lilani:
I refuse to believe Walt Disney was an anti-Semite. There is just no evidence of it at all. He used no characters or stereotypes that other animators and entertainers weren't using at the time. As far as I've been able to discover, the very first charge of this came from the Simpsons. It just amazes me how much people take it seriously now.

I had a Jewish professor who worked at Disney Land in his youth. He was not allowed to go into, or work inside of tomorrow land. In fact the only staff visibly allowed in tomorrow land(barring janitorial positions) were blonde haired blue eyed people. So uhh.... there's that.

The "Ben Franklin invented electricity" myth. If he really did, he'd be world famous, not just in the US. What he did was discover that lightning was made of electricity. Also that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb. He improved upon it and gave us the most up-to-date version of the incandescent light bulb.

Sandjube:
I refuse to believe that scientists know as much as they think they do about the universe.

Who are scientists? You dont just "do science" all over the place. Scientist isnt even a job or a real group. Doctors? Partical Physicists? Cancer research scientists? This is so broad. Also ive been to labs. They are still working. Guess THEY cant think they know everything or else theyd be drinking whiskey and playing twister :P No scientist has pretended to know something without evidence (to the scientific community) and not been torn apart by other scientists and made a laughing stock of. Cold fusion guy is a great example. Can you point to things that scientists pretend to know that they actually dont know that account for the "half they think they know that they dont".

Government people dont know half as much about countries as they think they do is a lovely equivalent also. Sorry. I love science. And i hate how people usually belittle it and people who use science in their jobs.

I refuse to believe that there has to be a "meaning" behind life. It seems as rediculous to me as going "What is the point of rock?". Whats wrong with things just being. There can be a method of creation but there doesnt need to be a goal or purpose behind it. Not everything needs a purpose inherently gifted to it. Whats the point of alpha centuri? I feel its a question given WAY to much attention when it deserves a lot less.

I refuse to believe that long distance running is bad for you.

Plenty of studies say it's hard on your joints/organs in the 'long run'

When the shit hits the fan and society crumbles, your fat scientist asses won't be able to keep up with me..

Ah. I refuse to believe that 6 million jews died in the Holocaust. I believe the number is way too high, but Jews were indeed killed.

inb4 I'm a nazi sympathizer.

I refuse to believe that were are all mentally and physically equal. I believe that gender and race can play a part in both.

No I do not consider this to be a bad thing.
And no, I do not have any set opinions on which race/gender is more intelligent/physically adept.

I do not care, I just don't think we are all the same, and I do not see why it's so bad that we are not.

octafish:
I refuse to believe any conspiracy theory that relies on government competence and the keeping of secrets over a long period by anyone. Clearly conspiracy theorists have never met elected officials or public servants, or indeed human beings.

So true. Unless our politicians are actually certified genius's when it comes to pretending to be idiots, then I cannot see them being able to pull off half of these conspiracies people come up with. Hell, the British government keeps leaving important documents on public transport for crying out loud.

Sandjube:
I refuse to believe that scientists know as much as they think they do about the universe.

I agree. Science can prove an awful lot of great and useful stuff, but we are nowhere near as advanced as we seem to think we are.

Mauler:
I refuse to accept as Fact the possibility that Earth is the only inhabited(by ''living'' beings) planet(moon, gas giant, nebula, dyson sphere) in this galaxy its just impossible...

I also find this absurd. It strikes me as nothing more than human arrogance. As if life can only exist under the same conditions as ours. That life cannot exist under different circumstances or requirements.

In Search of Username:
I refuse to accept that diet has any impact on weight. I know fat people who eat healthily and exercise a lot, whereas I am a thin person who eats excessive junk food and never gets exercise. Doesn't make any sense to me.

It's called metabolism. Also, eating 'healthily' does not just mean eating the right foods. If you are eating 4000 calories a day of only fruit, vegetables and other healthy foods, you are still going to put on weight because you are consuming more calories than you are burning.

A banana isn't less healthy than a chocolate bar because of the calories, it's because the banana has calories and nutrition, whereas the chocolate just gives the calories without the benefits.

Arontala:

CaptainMarvelous:

OT: I refuse to believe Squenix canned FFversusXIII, I want to believe the best of them.

Yoichi Wada has already stated that it's not true.

Which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone with half a brain, seeing as how the rumor was essentially Kotaku saying that they had super secret anonymous sources that totally told them that Versus XIII was totally canceled.

Legit as balls.

Annnnd my faith is restored, thanks dude

That this thread has gotten this long.

I refuse to believe that the United States government is keeping all things alien in Area 51.

Clearly they would move all the spaceships and alien corpses somewhere else after it became number 1 on crazy people's "GOVERNMENT IS KEEPIN' THE GOSH DARN ALIENS HERE!" list.

I refuse to accept that their are actually people out there who are not legally mentally retarded who refuse to believe in global warming. I mean I have met some really stupid people in my day but never anybody THAT dumb.

McMullen:
I refuse to believe that when I try to cancel automatic renewal on xbox live, the error that keeps me from making that change, and that was still there when I did it again a year later, is unintentional.

Oh you silly silly man. Its called a feature not an error.

Despite being an atheist, I've never bought into the idea that evolution was entirely responsible for the human body. I don't have any theories on the matter, but it just seems a bit too complex to be the result of random mutations.

Susan Arendt:

Why? Do you have a problem with it?

Grey Carter:
Despite being an atheist, I've never bought into the idea that evolution was entirely responsible for the human body. I don't have any theories on the matter, but it just seems a bit too complex to be the result of random mutations.

Well, you have to remember this was meant to have happened over millions of years.

Millions

RamirezDoEverything:
Ah. I refuse to believe that 6 million jews died in the Holocaust. I believe the number is way too high, but Jews were indeed killed.

Why?

I already posted in this thread, I'm just curious as to why you think that.

I refuse to believe that any one concept or fact is beyond the understanding of humans. Humans are impressive, even if we have a billion and one faults, we are still impressive as a species. I do not believe that any fact or understanding is "too much" for humans to understand regardless of who tackles it or how much time our species works to understand it.

Matthew94:

Susan Arendt:

Why? Do you have a problem with it?

With some of the things being said in it, yep.

I refuse to believe that The Princess Bride, one of my favorite books AND movies of all time, is not quality enough literature to be referenced on the English AP exam. If that exam ever asks me about satire, that will be the ultimate book to turn to, and I don't have that option because it's not "quality". Granted, I already took the English and Comp AP exam, so this will never come up to affect me. But still, it's dumb.

ravenshrike:

Lilani:
I refuse to believe Walt Disney was an anti-Semite. There is just no evidence of it at all. He used no characters or stereotypes that other animators and entertainers weren't using at the time. As far as I've been able to discover, the very first charge of this came from the Simpsons. It just amazes me how much people take it seriously now.

He was an anti-semite in the pre-hitler gas chambers sense. So more a garden variety racist than anything.

It's kind of funny, I had this come up in another thread earlier this week...

Walt Disney didn't hate jews. This myth stems from his involvement with the Motion Picture Alliance for the Preservation of American Ideals, which was an anti-communist and anti-semite organization. This was in the time of McCarthyism, so he likely joined because it protected him from ever being accused of being a communist; an instant movie industry blacklist at the time. In fact, over the course of his life, he donated to several Jewish organizations such as the Hebrew Orphan Asylum and The American League for a Free Palestine. In 1955, he was voted man of the year by the B'nai B'rith chapter in Beverly Hills. While there were some Jewish stereotypes in his early animations, he ended up stereotyping every ethnic group, oftentimes when it was politically "required" to protect his career.

OT: I refuse to believe that some of the famous idiots out there are all that dumb. I mean sure, some of them are talent less hacks, but they have managed to make tons of money despite that.

Susan Arendt:

You could probably say the same for 90% of the threads that make it past the first few pages in Off-Topic :P

Grey Carter:

I had a biology teacher who described it as the "miracle of evolution". Kind of ironic, but we live in a strange world.

Roroshi14:
I refuse to believe that the world is going to shit. As history has shown us it repeats and cycles, yea it my get dark and scary but it always gets better then prospers then rises then fights then falls then repeats.

I might not be alive to the next peace time, but it will come.

Besides, we're 12 and a half years into a new century, and there's no world war in sight!

I refuse to believe that anyone can 100% hate with all their being MLP FIM. If you do, your lying. Cause if you did more extreme action then unaffective Internet hate would of been taken. Nyahhn. : p

I refuse to believe that Papa Jon's is really pizza. That stuff is disgusting

I refuse to believe... that deep down humans are good.

We just fucking are not. As a species we are fucking attrocious and only the circumstances of society force us to work in a civil manner to get more for ourselves by the achnowlagement that working togeather is better than working alone.

Ramith:
Pluto is a planet, goddamn it!

Edit* Whoa someone else agrees with me on this? Clearly there are dozens of us, and we must unite.

It can be just like the flat earth society, you all can be wrong in a group setting. I'm sorry it's just that Pluto is a planet in the same way I am a Knight of the round table.

I refuse to believe that people can outright refuse to believe things when presented with proof to the contrary.

(Probably ninja'd)

This is abit of a spoiler=

AngelBlackChaos:

Luna:
I refuse to believe women are more intelligent, (The ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills) than men.

It doesn't matter what any IQ survey says. I just don't see it. If women score higher then all that tells me is that a woman designed the questions.

^Just remember that most posts in this thread aren't 100% justified opinions and I willingly admit that mine is quite possibly one of them.

Most IQ tests are constructed so that there are no overall score differences between females and males.Because environmental factors affect brain activity and behavior, where differences are found, it can be difficult for researchers to assess whether or not the differences are innate. Areas where differences have been found include verbal and mathematical ability.

Well-known modern IQ tests include Raven's Progressive Matrices(Man), Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale(Man), Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children(Man), Stanford-Binet(Men), Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Cognitive Abilities(man and woman), and Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children (Man and Woman).

Most IQ tests are made so that sex has nothing to do with the intelligence quotient. Overall, there are no substantial differences in scores, though depending on the test, small differences in mathmatics and verbal skills may be seen.

....Have you ever taken an IQ test? Or read anything about them before judging them to be "In favor of women"? The fact is, sex has nothing to do with intelligence.

Clearly, there are female, AND male idiots.

If sex has nothing to do with intelligence then females wouldn't generally score higher.

mrhappy1489:

Luna:

Colour-Scientist:

Upset? Don't flatter yourself, love.
Just because he asked for factually unsupported opinions doesn't mean I'm not going to call people out on sexist horseshit.

Whatever you say, hon.

Hon, it's pronounced Hun, you stupid chief!

pls 4giv me

The fact that the Rock's in-ring personality is the complete opposite of him in real-life.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked