Give me things to draw, please.

Pages PREV 1 2

Kpt._Rob:

rob_simple:
-snip-

Snip

Gotta agree with this guy here. You say you're drawing these type of characters to improve your knowledge of anatomy, but you're kind of doing the opposite. Don't get me wrong, what you've done here is good, but you're really just limiting yourself. Drawing anime/cartoony type characters isn't a bad way to start out, and it can be good for a basic understanding of various techniques, but in the long run it'll lead to bad habits and do more harm than good. Especially if these are the only type of characters you're drawing, as you're only drawing a very limited range of poses and body types.

You should base your characters on a good understanding of traditional and realistic anatomy, and go from there, rather than do it the other way round.

I'd love to see your take on the tenth Doctor!

Adam Jenson from Deus Ex: Human Revolution, his cybernetic arms in particular should pose a bit of a challenge for you.

Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham from Robin Hood Prince of Thieves.

rob_simple:

Kpt._Rob:

rob_simple:
-snip-

snip

I did take all that in, and will be keeping it for future reference, but as to your point about my mentioning of anatomy practice: I am under no illusion that the stuff I am drawing is reflective of practicing real human anatomy (I realise that my OP possibly made me come across as one of those people who think Dragonball Z is an accurate depiction of human musculature.)

I do frequently study anatomy books for artists and I sketch down things from there and other places, it's just that in this thread I was more putting across the fruits of my labour in regard to my own personal style.

I am always looking to improve my abilities (I think art is one of the few things where you never stop learning) because ultimately I do want to publish my own stories amongst other things but I do understand that I am a long, long way away from that stage. My main goal for this thread was to push me into drawing things I'm not as comfortable with (i.e. not three hundred pound steroid abusers.)

Thanks for the detailed feedback, though, it was much appreciated.

I'm always happy to offer feedback, and if you'd like you may feel free to add me as a friend, and request my not so humble opinion any time you like. I'm actually just getting ready to begin my second senior year in the surprisingly good art program at OSU (one of the few schools that actually offers a focus in watercolors), though in my case it's a more traditional art, I.E. paintings which I aspire to one day sell to rich people who can hang them on their walls, or if I'm lucky galleries or museums which will display them so that a wider selection of rich people can sit around sipping aged wine and snootily discussing the themes of a stylized painting of a lamp. (Though as an avid comic book reader, I'd actually like to write and draw a comic book of my own at some point in time too).

But that's all besides the point, because one of those things you get really good at in an art program is criticizing other people's work (and accepting criticism of your own). This means learning that even when you've got something negative to say about something someone else has worked hard on you learn to say it in a way that is constructive and helpful manner. I may never be able to offer you criticism on the level that someone who's actually much better versed in your particular style might, but I can still point out any flaws I notice and try to make suggestions as to what a good next step might be, and if I may inflate my own overinflated ego a more bit, you'll probably find the criticism of a fellow artist much more helpful in the endeavor to get better than you will the uninformed praise of people who've never drawn someone whose arms weren't sticks.

I offer this because it seems like you actually care about what you're doing, and you've demonstrated in the pieces you've presented that you've got the will to get good at those things to which you apply yourself. And besides, us artists (especially us artists who go by the name Rob) need to stick together, regardless of our subject matter.

I think the goal you stated, of trying new things which you're not entirely comfortable with is exactly what you need to be doing, but asking people on a forum for suggestions after showing them what you've already done might not be the way to go about it, because chances are that you'll get suggestions which are based around the things they think you'll be able to pull off, as opposed to giving you suggestions meant specifically to challenge you.

You mentioned that you've got some anatomy books, and I think that might offer you just the challenge you need to advance this style to the next level if you were to take some of the more interesting poses and facial expressions from the anatomy books, and try to get characters rendered in your style into them. You could also look through comic books to find other interesting poses and expressions to practice with if you want. Really I think new poses and facial expressions will offer you a much more worthy challenge than just rendering different pre-existing characters in the same poses and facial expressions, even if they have different body types.

Another really good challenge, since you mentioned the desire to at some point publish your own works, is to design some of your own characters. Copying characters that already exist is really good for practicing the ability to render, but you've already got that down, so I'd wager it's time to apply your ability to render to the challenge of rendering something entirely from your own mind.

If you can render your own characters in a wider variety of poses and with a wider variety of expressions (things which the above mentioned exercises should help you master), then you'll already have cleared some of the biggest hurdles. And honestly, looking at what you've already done I'd wager that you're more than ready to tackle both of those challenges.

Another area which you might consider looking at, though I already mentioned it, is environments. You've absolutely got the chops to render realistic environments, after all the human form is much more complicated than some chairs and a table, so this one is in some ways more of a test of will. Environments, in addition to being easier, tend also to be a little more boring and take longer, but a good environment can really bring things up another notch. Apart from that, even if you render a good looking environment, and a good looking character, getting that character to exist realistically in the environment can be a surprisingly difficult challenge at times, especially when the character has taken on a more complicated pose. A good starting area for practice here is to start adding simple background environments to your pictures, but after you get good at that the real challenge will be making your character interact with the environment, whether it's sitting in a chair, sleeping in a bed, eating breakfast, or getting punched through a wall. And again, this challenge is something that I'd bet you're more than ready to tackle.

If you apply yourself to these three tasks you'll probably get good at them pretty quickly, and when you are you'll have all the tools you need to actually get started with a more complex narrative. There will of course be other things you need to learn on the way, animals if you're using them, or lighting effects if you want to do crazy energy blasts, but these are the sorts of things you can learn on the fly. There is a lot of hard work ahead of you, but I think you're closer than you realize, as long as you stick with it that is.

Could you draw Oscar of Astora/the unnamed knight from Dark Souls?

Here's a picture of him:

Do a pokemon.

Do my favorite pokemon:

Make him look badass. (His name is Empoleon)

Do Darth Vader riding a raptor.

Could you do any of these two images?

Quote me and copy the image links for a bigger version
Captcha:sharp stick

Draw the Minecraft guy, a Creeper, Zombie, Skeleton, Enderman and a pig playing poker.
Or draw Chuck Greene and/or Frank West from Dead Rising.

Holy crap, those are actually really good.

My knee-jerk reaction is to suggest Soundwave, but you mentioned anatomy, and I agree with other people in the thread suggesting you try to practice less muscle-bound characters, so I'll second Faith, the Tenth Doctor, and Frank West, as well as suggest a more realistic interpretation of Steve the Minecraft person if you're up for some creativity, and Iron Man or Isaac Clarke if you're up for some relatively form-fitting power armor.

References:

Looks like you've got an awful lot of requests if you plan on trying to make it through all/most of them.

Draw a fat man fighting off hordes of killer lobsters with nothing but a broken table leg. These are larger than normal lobsters and can leap through the air.

Quala:

Okay, that's one more done. God as my witness, I will complete all of these requests.

P.S. I hope you like it.

rob_simple:

Okay, that's one more done. God as my witness, I will complete all of these requests.

P.S. I hope you like it.

It never ceases to amaze me how amazing some people are at drawing when I can hardly doodle a simple little character. Good luck in getting through all these!

I want you to draw a collaboration of every single video contributor to the Escapist Magazine.

Yahtzee
Moviebob
the No right answer guys
and anyone else I missed.

Holy crap, is this thread for real? I am so excited. OP, you are seriously super talented.

Awright, could you draw Cullen Bohannon from the tv show Hell on Wheels?
Season 2 is gonna premiere next week and I'm so pumped for it, but I can't ever find any decent fan art for it.

Some pics for reference:

It's hard to find any full body shots of him, so if that's not enough you can check out this video.

First of all, those are great drawings.

Second, my suggestion. Since you did such a great job of War, why not Death from Darksiders 2?

Do Kasumi Goto! :D

Draw the invisible man.
/joke

Waaghpowa:
Do Darth Vader riding a raptor.

Don't forget to have the raptor duel-wielding laser blasters.

Also, draw your favorite video game character fighting your absolute least favorite.

Just_A_Glitch:
Well, if you're just doing drawings, draw my team from UMVC3!

Thor, Nova, Hawkeye!

This didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but I hope you like it, nonetheless.

Also, I'm not really familiar with Nova so I had to Youtube his moves, hope I got it right.

I've always got characters in my head who need to be drawn out. PM me if you're interested. :)

rob_simple:

Just_A_Glitch:
Well, if you're just doing drawings, draw my team from UMVC3!

Thor, Nova, Hawkeye!

This didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but I hope you like it, nonetheless.

Also, I'm not really familiar with Nova so I had to Youtube his moves, hope I got it right.

Ah, dude, it's awesome! I've got a new computer wallpaper for awhile! Thanks!

Draw Louis from Left 4 Dead! That would be awesome.

Venom, Carnage, Magneto, Wolverine.

SanAndreasSmoke:

Second, my suggestion. Since you did such a great job of War, why not Death from Darksiders 2?

Sorry this has taken so long, but the last few weeks have been busy with uni related endeavours. Anyhoo:

Anyhoo, I hope you like it, I'm going to make a concerted effort to get through as many of these as I can this week.

rob_simple:

SanAndreasSmoke:

Sorry this has taken so long, but the last few weeks have been busy with uni related endeavours. Anyhoo:

Anyhoo, I hope you like it, I'm going to make a concerted effort to get through as many of these as I can this week.

That's impressive as hell, man! Fantastic work!

I'd like to apologise that these drawings obviously aren't finished --I've been ridiculously busy these last few months with graduating and trying to start a business selling this stuff-- but I promise I'll update you with the finished versions as soon as they're done.

Froggy Slayer:
How about Spider-man being choke-slammed through a wall by Venom? Venom would need to have the big nasty ass slimy tongue out, maybe roaring, and Spidey would be shooting webbing at a car, trying to drag it over and hit Venom on the back of the head with it. Shit'd be coolio

I attempted this three separate times and couldn't get it to look right, so I apologise and present my three various attempts:

Scrustle:
Awesome work. I like your style. How about Nero from DMC4?

Shaved Apple:
Venom, Carnage, Magneto, Wolverine.

Cheery Lunatic:
Holy crap, is this thread for real? I am so excited. OP, you are seriously super talented.

Awright, could you draw Cullen Bohannon from the tv show Hell on Wheels?
Season 2 is gonna premiere next week and I'm so pumped for it, but I can't ever find any decent fan art for it.

TimeLord:
I'd love to see your take on the tenth Doctor!

Sorry this isn't a more detailed drawing --I ended up doing it amongst Hell on Wheels sketches, but I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who so I couldn't really think what else to draw!

Try working in a medium you are not as familiar with or draw something you are not as strong at. When I found I was doing mostly characters I decided to switch things up and work on doing a background. If I am doing to much in photoshop I might do some illustrator work or acrylic paints maybe some inks. Versatility is the sign of a seasoned artist.

Also just wanted to say it was nice to see you weren't just copying other images like some people do. You learn more from having to think about proportions and such rather than just copying from a already existing image.

aba1:
Try working in a medium you are not as familiar with or draw something you are not as strong at. When I found I was doing mostly characters I decided to switch things up and work on doing a background. If I am doing to much in photoshop I might do some illustrator work or acrylic paints maybe some inks. Versatility is the sign of a seasoned artist.

Also just wanted to say it was nice to see you weren't just copying other images like some people do. You learn more from having to think about proportions and such rather than just copying from a already existing image.

Thanks for the advice, I really do need to start working on backgrounds and set pieces because ideally I'd like to try my hand at creating a few stories; I just find it really hard to stay focused on a drawing that has no real focal point, if that makes sense. I'm hoping to experiment more with other materials as soon as I can afford to get stocked up on supplies.

I've definitely seen my work improve a lot more since I started working on my own compositions, using references rather than ripping pages straight from a Dragonball Z book. I really wish I'd listened when my art teachers talked about how essential the basics are.

rob_simple:
--snip--

Well, these are all very good. Saved the second Venom one as my desktop background. I'd say that you've definitely got a good look down for him.

Might be a stupid question, but would you consider drawing me?

Well if you are interested in trying a dragon I have a design I've drawn a number of times and haven't gotten it quite down yet but here is where it stands now:

It has four legs, a long tail, a classic dragon neck, and is covered in hair save for its head and feet. The head is unmistakably reptillian but the snout is tipped with a beak and on both sides of its jaws are two pairs of mandables (one pair for the upper jaw and one pair for the lower jaw) that can guide prey down its throat or, if the situation presents itself, ram it down. If you decide to do this I'll leave it up to you on how to do the eyes because that is something I never really knew what to do with on it. It has a pair of horns growing out from the back of its head. Just behind its head is a mane like a lion's. The torso and legs are like a cat's but end with reptillian feet. The front feet can grasp and are tipped with claws. The wings are much like those of a bird of prey and the length of the tail is lined with feathers that can fold against the tail. Lastly, the body temperature on the dragon is high enough to ignite objects just by being in close proximity to something.

And if you don't want to try that there is always Lordi:

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked