MS ditching Hotmail, everyone on Outlook soon. No accounts imported so all addresses up for grabs.

You read that right, MS is making everyone use Outlook soon but they haven't transferred Hotmail users to the new system so every email is up for grabs again. I managed to get my full name for an address without those damn numbers on the end. :D

Just thought some of you may want a heads up. I usually use Gmail but it's cool to have an email address that's my name only, like a "clean" email address.

I live a wild life

EDIT: @TheNamlessGuy told me you can still log in to outlook with your hotmail address.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/376168/outlook-switch-leaves-hotmail-users-open-to-cyber-squatting

Microsoft has unveiled plans to rebrand Hotmail to Outlook, but has failed to reserve existing users' email aliases.

The surprise switch is the latest attempt by Microsoft to rebrand Hotmail, which was previously available under the Windows Live moniker.

Hotmail - or Windows Live - users can try the new version of Outlook.com, and claim an Outlook alias. However, Microsoft has failed to reserve existing users' logins on the new system, leaving Hotmail users at risk of losing their sign in on the new domain.

For example, if you had name@hotmail.com, you won't be guaranteed the name@outlook.com address, if someone else chooses it first. That could be problematic as Microsoft is reportedly ditching Hotmail and Windows Live entirely, in favour of the new Outlook.com domain, according to a report in ZDNet.

PC Pro staff even managed to register an Outlook.com alias in the name of Steve Ballmer.

Microsoft has yet to get back to us on whether Hotmail users will be pushed onto the new system, or with any dates as to when the new service will be fully functional.

Outlook.com features the Metro-style design from Windows 8, with blocks for folders that change colour when a mouse cursor hovers over them - clearly designed to make it easier to select folders using a tablet or other touchscreen device.

Chris Jones, corporate vice president of Windows Live Experience Program Management, said in a blog post that the Outlook.com email was created because "not much has fundamentally changed in webmail over the last eight years".

He said Outlook can pull in status updates, photos and contact lists from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google, and will offer video calls via Skype, acknowledging that more and more messaging is moving away from inboxes to social networks.

While the new system is still a preview, Jones said "Outlook.com is ready now to become your primary email service".

Well I guess I won't be using msn anymore time to make the switch over to gmail I suppose and I will have to start using skype to chat.

The big surprise here being that people still used hotmail. <.<

Funny how they haven't even sent a mail out to Hotmail users warning them about this. Wonder how long they'll wait.

Microsoft: We don't just not care about our users, we do our damnedest not to care.

LetalisK:
The big surprise here being that people still used hotmail. <.<

It has its uses, like when you're asked for your email address and you know it's going to be given to marketing agencies. It's nice to have a decoy address so my other, useful ones can stay clean.

Hotmail? So that is still a thing?*

*says the guy with an active Yahoo email acount

God damn it. I still use Hotmail for my two main email addresses. Thank you Microsoft /sarcasm.

ummmm

I can sign into outlook.com with my hotmail account

/thread

how do I switch to this new thing because I have a hotmail account for XBL

(or when do I have to switch??)

aba1:
Well I guess I won't be using msn anymore time to make the switch over to gmail I suppose and I will have to start using skype to chat.

gtalk is a very nice chat client which can connect you to anyone whose email address you have and also has gtalk. For tha matter you can just use it through the web browser if both of you have gmail open.

ravenshrike:

aba1:

gtalk is a very nice chat client which can connect you to anyone whose email address you have and also has gtalk. For tha matter you can just use it through the web browser if both of you have gmail open.

Thanks for the suggestion but I use my Gmail for mostly business not casual.

Huh. Shocking they would drop the Hotmail brand. That's like one of the staples since the internet existed.

That said, of no consequence to me. I only just ditched AOL mail for Gmail after AOL blocked me out of my accounts and expected me to dial a phone number to get them back. Fuck THAT noise.

Just to clarify, they are not getting rid of the hotmail email addresses. It's just that if you have random@hotmail.com you are not automatically given random@outlook.com. The hotmail addresses still work with the new site.

Anyway I went and grabbed my name as well before it got taken.
It's nice to have a simple address for professional uses. I think a resume would be hard to take seriously if the address given is something like n00bpwner31835@hotmail.com

ForgottenPr0digy:

You don't have to switch, you can just go to the new Outlook site.

Your old hotmail account will let you log on and access your emails.

That's why I love Gmail. It's convenient, reliable, user-friendly and is not related to Microsoft.

Lizardon:
Just to clarify, they are not getting rid of the hotmail email addresses. It's just that if you have random@hotmail.com you are not automatically given random@outlook.com. The hotmail addresses still work with the new site.

Anyway I went and grabbed my name as well before it got taken.
It's nice to have a simple address for professional uses. I think a resume would be hard to take seriously if the address given is something like n00bpwner31835@hotmail.com

ForgottenPr0digy:

You don't have to switch, you can just go to the new Outlook site.

Your old hotmail account will let you log on and access your emails.

Thanks for that, seeming as microsoft didn't clarify that themselves.

Just logged in to check. That made a pleasant start to my day. Seriously, these kinds of things where something is suddenly changed with no warning scare the living crap outta me.

Could have something to do with me having aspergers I suppose, which is possibly one of the only times you'll see me admit one of my problems is actually linked to it in any major way. Still, even if it's only me and a relatively small other group who's really bothered by it, wasn't very nice to just pull the rug out like that.

Gotta say though, aside from the intitial heart attack, the new site looks pretty cool.

Just went ahead and made an account on Outlook. Thanks for the heads-up

EDIT: Just found out; you can go into your active @hotmail.com/@live.com account and click "Upgrade to Outlook". That way you won't have to make a new account!

I don't use hotmail. But my question is, if I do nothing, what happens to my XBL account?

okay this is all well and good, but when I log into the Outlook version, I dont see how to log out. Is there something I am missing here? Or a glitch or something?

lol nvm found out, you have to click on your name. Personally the new look is kind of gay, but I guess it's some new age stuff that they want to roll with. Whatever I guess

Meh I'm not too bother since if I read it correctly I can still use my hotmail address in Outlook. Also I'm not too bother calling dips with the Outlook names since while my email does contain numbers but those numbers are my birth dates so they have some valve to me unlike some random numbers, that is however someone else use those exact same numbers to my.

I'm not bothered, I only use Hotmail for shit I sign up for like newsletters and other crap.

I use Gmail for 'proper' things, like on-line shopping and important accounts.

My university forced me to make the switch to Outlook recently and it is the worst e-mail client I've ever seen.

I hope you like having to manually display content on every e-mail, because there is no longer an 'always trust e-mails from this sender' option.

guess ill switch to Gmail then

Will all e-mails sent to a @hotmail.com be able to be redirected to an @outlook.com address?

It's very important that I know. I have sent numerous job applications and matters relating to my Art Business and I'll be very pissed off if I lose out on an opportunity because MICROSOFT WANTS TO BE DIFFICULT.

Yes, i could have not used a @hotmail.com address for these matters, but since I didn't have the crystal ball ready when I did this correspondence I didn't know that MS would be a twit.

Tried to sign up. Apparently, my Telford phone number is not a valid phone number in the UK. It wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't cock up at least once.

Just registered an account; must say, the Outlook web interface is very sexy. Not enough to make me stop using my own gmail hosted domain email, but still very nice!

As long as my Hotmail adres keeps working I'm fine. I've been using it for 15 years and I like it just the way it is. Off course being the only person on the planet with my name makes it easier to always get 'clean'-adresses anyway helps.

scw55:
Will all e-mails sent to a @hotmail.com be able to be redirected to an @outlook.com address?

It's very important that I know. I have sent numerous job applications and matters relating to my Art Business and I'll be very pissed off if I lose out on an opportunity because MICROSOFT WANTS TO BE DIFFICULT.

Yes, i could have not used a @hotmail.com address for these matters, but since I didn't have the crystal ball ready when I did this correspondence I didn't know that MS would be a twit.

This. They should have them both running at the same time for a few months so we can redirect everything from Hotmail to the new one. I haven't changed my email address since 2006 cos I have given it out to more websites, job applications and random shit than I can possibly remember to change it with.

UI makes me want to vomit but I've got no choice but to switch.

Yay for the spreading of misleading information.

I have a nice and short Live address already, and I'm sticking with that. There's no need for anyone to change anything about their accounts unless they're unhappy with their current e-mail addresses.

EDIT: Huh. My @live.se account automatically redirects me to the new Outlook interface, while my old (semi-abandoned) @hotmail.com account still brings me to the regular Hotmail/Live interface.

Hah! I got my Outlook address to be just my last name. Thanks for the heads up.

BlackStar42:
Tried to sign up. Apparently, my Telford phone number is not a valid phone number in the UK. It wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't cock up at least once.

Not meaning to call you out, but I've tried a teford number I know, and it works fine. Have you tried leaving out the 0 on at the start? So start with 1952? If not, my bad.

scw55:

Crazy Zaul:
This. They should have them both running at the same time for a few months so we can redirect everything from Hotmail to the new one. I haven't changed my email address since 2006 cos I have given it out to more websites, job applications and random shit than I can possibly remember to change it with.

It's been clarified that the old @hotmail.com addresses will still work with the new system. So there's no need to change your address. You just aren't being guaranteed a matching @outlook.com address to go with it.

I've snapped up my real name and set it to forward to my gmail.

I signed into outlook using my Hotmail account(s) and then... POOF!!!

I got an email thanking me for upgrading.

That was easy.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked