Also, do you find Slender Man scary?
OH DEAR GOD YES
49.4% (177)
49.4% (177)
He'
50.3% (180)
50.3% (180)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Why do we obsess over Slender Man so much?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

IGNORE THE POLL, I accidentally pressed enter when writing it and now I can't fix it, sorry.

I don't get it, I've seen countless horror movies, read lovecraft, read Stephen King, and yet the one thing that leaves me up at night...

I don't get it, overall he doesn't seem that scary, he isn't visually disturbing, he isn't super fast or strong.

But he's fucking scary, and I'm not the only one to think so, the internet seems to be obsessed with him, and I have to ask.

Why?
What makes him so scary to all of us? What make's him so special?
So I guess that's what I'm asking, why do you think Slender Man manages to scare so many people compared to all the other horror things in the world?

TL;DR
Why is Slender Man so popular and scary to us all.

Also, if your not scared of the guy, tell us why.

Googled him.

So, it's just some Creepypasta character some bloke thought up?

Meh, anything can be made into a horrifying figure if the story's told well.

Pfft! Slender Man isn't that scary. 'Salem's Lot is creepier than Slender Man.

Well I've no idea who he is, so am judging solely on that picture. I guess the terror would come from his completely emotionless state. Those killers seem to be the most-business. You know, the Michael Myers kind.

Pffft, slender man is about as scary as candleja

Saviordd1:

Because I've never even heard of him. Does that make me lucky?

Ha! CAPTCHA - 'charmed life'. Apparently!

TheBobmus:
Googled him.

So, it's just some Creepypasta character some bloke thought up?

Basically, though he is more famous for the series "Marble Hornets" which is a blair witch style mockumentary on youtube.

BathorysGraveland:
Well I've no idea who he is, so am judging solely on that picture. I guess the terror would come from his completely emotionless state. Those killers seem to be the most-business. You know, the Michael Myers kind.

Weird thing is he rarely kills people

Total LOLige:

Never heard of it

Saviordd1:

Total LOLige:

Never heard of it

It's a Stephen King novel.

Total LOLige:

Saviordd1:

Total LOLige:

Never heard of it

It's a Stephen King novel.

Never got around to that one...

He doesn't look scary, maybe he just wants a hug?

For me, it's the way he gets inside your head. Sure, at the time of viewing you may laugh and scoff at his weird appearance. But if you continue watching Marble Hornets like I do you might start seeing him everywhere. I once watched one of the scarier MH clips when at home, alone, and at night. Needless to say I did NOT sleep well that night. And over a period of a few weeks it gets relentless.

In short, it's the best kind of horror, the tension building kind. He's not scary in himself, we make him scary by thinking about him.

I've never found him scary, or even slightly creepy. I'm actually really surprised that many people do because I just don't get it.
Oh well.

Girl With One Eye:
He doesn't look scary, maybe he just wants a hug?

Actually he wants his twenty dollars.

Mr Cwtchy:
For me, it's the way he gets inside your head. Sure, at the time of viewing you may laugh and scoff at his weird appearance. But if you continue watching Marble Hornets like I do you might start seeing him everywhere. I once watched one of the scarier MH clips when at home, alone, and at night. Needless to say I did NOT sleep well that night. And over a period of a few weeks it gets relentless.

In short, it's the best kind of horror, the tension building kind. He's not scary in himself, we make him scary by thinking about him.

Best answer this whole thread, I remember first discovering him and thinking "whatever" then a few months later I looked into him more...and oh dear god.

It's really just 16 year olds on 4chan (and most of /x) who obsess over him, no one else actually cares.

I do think it's an interesting bit of "world-wide folklore" which could only be made possible by a global communications system like the internet. It would be an interesting case study.

TheBobmus:

Pretty much this. Slenderman itself doesn't look the least bit creepy or scary. Those Marble Hornet clips build up some tension though.

Corax_1990:
Pffft, slender man is about as scary as candleja

You're doing it wrong.

I am still confused as to what is supposed to be scary about this thing. I dont know if I will ever understand how people find stupid things like this scary or even creepy.

Slender Man is just a knock-off of the Tall Man!

Also, I only started to find Slendie creepy after I started watching Marble Hornets and played the game.

Not an exciting answer, but
- He's a "fresh" character, for the moment.
- The public lisence IP makes it an attractive vehicle for horror makers (of whatever medium).
- The game just came out and is making top viewed youtube rounds.
- It's kinda novel that he's one of the the first well known "Cyburban legends".

Slender man, or at least was an unknown.

Something, we weren't sure what, in the forest.

The direction it was taken by just about every major vlog and blog about Slenderman took the tilt of Lovecraftian horror. Photos of it was blury or he was just standing there in the background, staring, standing, unmoving.

As a being we had no knowledge about, no history in myth, and no clear images of it, it was an unknown. When it comes own to it, nothing is scarier than the unknown. You can scare yourself better than anyone can scare you. You just have to be put in the right mindset.

What's all this we stuff meatbag? /bender

SonicWaffle:

Saviordd1:

Because I've never even heard of him. Does that make me lucky?

Ha! CAPTCHA - 'charmed life'. Apparently!

Same. Though I hate horror stuff, so don't really have a reason to know about it.

I've stopped reading King books since he finished the Dark Tower series, feeling that was the real culmination of his works (yes I'm aware there's a new Dark Tower book but I feel its not right, it ended as it should have depending on where you stopped reading).

becasue he is the perfect model. tall and slim. :P

Saviordd1:

TL;DR

He's not and I look down on people who post pictures saying "HURR DURR YOU WILL SHIT BRIX WHEN YOU SEE IT" or that fucking lame and moronic Candlejack shit where "Oh no I mentioned him now I need to cut off my post before th-"... And I'm supposed to care because..?

It's not scary, it's fucking lame. You what is scary? Context. A story that's believable enough, with people I care about in grave danger, Copypasta need not apply.

I tried to tell one of my facebook friends that the slender man was made up on the internets and he insisted that it was part of old German folklore (that part was also made up by the internets). that was probably the scariest part of the Slender Man: people have already begun to accept something that still has traceable roots to fiction as reality.

Mr.Tea:

Saviordd1:

TL;DR

He's not and I look down on people who post pictures saying "HURR DURR YOU WILL SHIT BRIX WHEN YOU SEE IT" or that fucking lame and moronic Candlejack shit where "Oh no I mentioned him now I need to cut off my post before th-"... And I'm supposed to care because..?

It's not scary, it's fucking lame. You what is scary? Context. A story that's believable enough, with people I care about in grave danger, Copypasta need not apply.

Candlejack isn't supposed to be scary, it's from a sat/sunday morning kid's show called Freakazoid that a lot of people liked.

DktrAgonizer:
I've never found him scary, or even slightly creepy. I'm actually really surprised that many people do because I just don't get it.
Oh well.

I think you and I are in the same park. I just don't see what's so scary about him. I mean, short of running into this guy a night in a dark alley or the woods I don't see the whole "horror" point of him.

I like it. I just played Slender last night at 4 AM, half asleep, in an empty house during a rain storm with high winds. Perfect time, perfect situation, perfect ambiance

He's scary because there is to some degree, the Uncanny Valley effect to him, among other theories that can be applied to him.

He resembles a human until you see the tentacles, by that point, it becomes disturbing because Humans don't have tentacles, and your mind knows that.

It's all based on comfort zones. We are supposed to be mindful of Police Officers, but if you were a young kid and you saw Robert Patrick with Knife-Hands dressed as a cop, that would aim to be uncomfortable to you to some degree, because police are good people, and the T-1000 is not.

I think the same thing can be applied to Slender Man, in that the suit is comforting to some extent (I don't see Giraffes or Chickens Wearing Suits/Tuxedos) because it is appropriately human. However, there is also no face, so he can't be considered a Villain (I have heard that bad guys are more dislikable if they have eyes you can see two of/Have faces), but as a sort of Lovecraftian Horror character, there are no eyes, so its a force you fear, not fight.

Does any of this make any sense?

As for Obsession, It's because it hasn't been sold to death Via Hot Topic products or anything else. The moment a movie ends up being made, Slender Man will have been too much.

Rednog:

Candlejack isn't supposed to be scary, it's from a sat/sunday morning kid's show called Freakazoid that a lot of people liked.

I see. But I was just making the "copypasta" connection anyway.

Because his fans are good storytellers. Given his new popularity, I doubt he'll be scary for much longer.

People are scared of the idea of intruders, of something invading there personal space to do them harm, of shadow figures and strangers. The slenderman is manifestation of the ultimate intruder. He's the boogeyman. He also wears a suit, making him seem human and average but has no face, alien, and also unidentifiable, the ultimate stranger. People fear what seems familiar but is twisted or warped slightly. The appearance of the character does that. His omnipresence, in that he can seemingly be anywhere takes away a sense of security. The fact that most images of him hide him in shadow create a layer of mystery where you can't quiet see him, and people of course fear what they can't see and don't understand. Honestly, people fear him because he's unsettling... A distorted image in the shadows with ill will... A modern boogeyman.

The reason that he's scary is threefold:

1. According to the myth, he exists BECAUSE WE THINK ABOUT HIM. This is probably the most distilled "Don't Think About It" we can get, and it's scary.

2. He's silent and unkillable. Compare to a Weeping Angel, which is silent but can be defeated by making it look another angel in the face. Or compare to classic demonic presence, all of which is nigh-unkillable but can be heard/avoided.

3. We don't "get" Slender Man.

The complete unpredictability of Slender Man is what really gets us. We know that: A. he targets people who "dig too deep", and B. he will stalk them for a short amount of time before killing them violently. The rest, such as "why", "when", "who", and "how", are unanswered.

I chalk up the popularity of him as "one of those Internet things." Sometimes, certain subjects on the Internet strike just the right chord with just the right people at just the right time. That's when things go viral.

For me, what makes it such a great story is that he (in most cases) doesn't have any clear goal. He just follows people for no apparant reason, until the stalkee either goes insane or mysteriously vanishes. And that unknown factor can be pretty scary when applied right in whatever story is using him.

Suki_:
-snip-

He's not really creepy until you immerse yourself in the lore.

ruedyn:
Because his fans are good storytellers. Given his new popularity, I doubt he'll be scary for much longer.

Sad but true, Hollywood will ruin him.

shogunblade:
He's scary because there is to some degree, the Uncanny Valley effect to him, among other theories that can be applied to him.

He resembles a human until you see the tentacles, by that point, it becomes disturbing because Humans don't have tentacles, and your mind knows that.

It's all based on comfort zones. We are supposed to be mindful of Police Officers, but if you were a young kid and you saw Robert Patrick with Knife-Hands dressed as a cop, that would aim to be uncomfortable to you to some degree, because police are good people, and the T-1000 is not.

I think the same thing can be applied to Slender Man, in that the suit is comforting to some extent (I don't see Giraffes or Chickens Wearing Suits/Tuxedos) because it is appropriately human. However, there is also no face, so he can't be considered a Villain (I have heard that bad guys are more dislikable if they have eyes you can see two of/Have faces), but as a sort of Lovecraftian Horror character, there are no eyes, so its a force you fear, not fight.

Does any of this make any sense?

As for Obsession, It's because it hasn't been sold to death Via Hot Topic products or anything else. The moment a movie ends up being made, Slender Man will have been too much.

That does make sense, I guess its just more "What you're used to" than anything else.

If they make a movie, it will suck.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked