Also, do you find Slender Man scary?
OH DEAR GOD YES
49.4% (177)
49.4% (177)
He'
50.3% (180)
50.3% (180)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Why do we obsess over Slender Man so much?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Slenderman is homosexual. He was a real scare for me when I first learned about him. Then I thought that if he's watching me, he probably watches me fap. So I hit the assumption that slenderman is homosexual. Aaaaaannnnd that's how I got rid of my fear of him.

OT: Because nobody really knows who the slenderman really is. Knowing about him means you're the next target. But not knowing him will make you fear him even more...

Slender man is close the closet scary but not stay up 24 hours scary, if that makes any sense. Damn this thread is making me want to search up creepy pastas at 3 morning.

I think it's that fear-of-the-unknown sort of thing. Who exactly is he? Where did he come from? What are his goals? What can he do to me? Because we're not given all that much information, our imaginations fill the gaps with whatever horrible things we can come up with. At least, that's why *I* found him scary, or used to at least.
I stoppedbeing scared of him when my friends and I came up with a joke, didn't think something like that would work but oddly enough it did. We said "Think of him as an escaped mannequin from Men's Wearhouse. I'm a big p*ssy so this humorous aspect gave me some relief.
If we don't laugh, we'll cry, huh?

Pshht, I don't find any character scary that I know alot about. Whenever I have a nigthmare, that which I'm scared of is the unkown, sure can be some monster or whatnot, but it's never some "established" horror character. So yeah, while I think this whole phenomenon about Slender Man is cool, I personally don't fear him :P

Not a clue who the guy is.
He doesn't look all that scary.

probably because of the fact that no matter what, in the stories he will find you, there is no avoiding him and he goes so far as to mess with the people he stalks.
not to mention he is based off of a HUGE amount of stories from local folklores: England's branch-man, Germany's der Gro▀man, there's also a Scottish, welsh, american and dutch one, i just cant remember their names.
if it wasn't evident i love creepypasta.
Also the fact that, he works on belief, meaning if you want to know about him, he will be close, and use you as a method to spread his chaos.

MPerce:
I chalk up the popularity of him as "one of those Internet things." Sometimes, certain subjects on the Internet strike just the right chord with just the right people at just the right time. That's when things go viral.

For me, what makes it such a great story is that he (in most cases) doesn't have any clear goal. He just follows people for no apparant reason, until the stalkee either goes insane or mysteriously vanishes. And that unknown factor can be pretty scary when applied right in whatever story is using him.

yea, i agree, but i think its kinda more that he wishes to observe, to allow himself to be seen so as to drive your mind to the brink kind of thing in most stories.
though weirdly i enough, i think that after i found out all that i have now, im no longer scared because i know of any/all of his implausibilities and flaws, not to mention i have watched countless creepypasta, im probably immune to them now DX anyone got a good one?

Tony:
Slenderman is homosexual. He was a real scare for me when I first learned about him. Then I thought that if he's watching me, he probably watches me fap. So I hit the assumption that slenderman is homosexual. Aaaaaannnnd that's how I got rid of my fear of him.

OT: Because nobody really knows who the slenderman really is. Knowing about him means you're the next target. But not knowing him will make you fear him even more...

im sorry but this will cure that fear but start a new one, and adds to your idea kind of :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atdhk44k0B4 (sorry i forgot how to embed.)

Meh, I don't get Slender Man at all, I find him extremely boring and not scary at all. No idea why people obsess over him so much, seems extremely overrated. This is coming from a huge horror fan by the way.

He's a nice guy.

Double post, sorry.

Can someone post that video of a playground slide and slendermans shadow coming out from behind a pole?
I can not seem to find it.

I think it's the feeling of helpless he brings. It's when you're running away and not looking at his is when he gets you. No matter how far and fast you run, he will get you. Also his unsettling appearance of being somewhat human but not human enough.

I have to say that made up paranormal creature for some internet comedy site to generate this much horror and popularity is very impressive.

I absolutely hate when things don't have faces, it's one of the most disturbing things. Slender man is a manifestation of all our fears of the unknown and being watched balled up into one. So while his featureless face disturbs me personally, I would say overall it's not his physical appearance that scares people. It's that knowing if you just think of him he will be there. And even if you're not he's watching, waiting, ever silent and without a motive.

Fuck me, just typing this I can just imagine him standing right behind me.

This one I can understand being scary. A very tall, faceless man with a dark suit and paranormal like features such as tall arms, standing in a dark room with the darkness obscuring some of him so as to give the impression that he is an entity of the shadows itself, standing in a well lit doorway so as to give the idea that he suddenly popped up into the room from outside and may have been lurking outside for some time, perfect horror stuff.

Reminds me of yathzee's own thought up "Tall man".

The reason he is so frightening is because he is so tall that he towers over you and he has a tint of paranormal features about him to make him "unknown" to us. This speaks to our instincts to fear that which is larger than us and that which is a mystery to us.

For some reason I can't be very afraid of just a normal pic of himself, he has to be in the shadows. He has to almost be hard to see. Not just the monster, but the area the monster finds itself in must induce fear to be effective.

Saviordd1:
Also, if your not scared of the guy, tell us why.

I seem to have kind of missed this whole slender man thing, and I'm not really that interested in finding out, hence not scared of slender man.

As far as I'm aware, it's just some lanky bloke that shows up in pictures. Not that scary to be honest. I have a mate that could be slender man if my ignorant ramblings are correct!

Saviordd1:

Girl With One Eye:
He doesn't look scary, maybe he just wants a hug?

Actually he wants his twenty dollars.

He needs about tree fiddy.

OT:The thing that's scared me about him is how he's kind of a stalker. I'm not fond of being stared at or followed. Also his blank face, which makes him look emotionless. That adds to the creepy a little, IMO.

Plus some people know how to tell a good creepypasta, and how you tell the story can affect how scared someone gets.

TheBobmus:
Googled him.

So, it's just some Creepypasta character some bloke thought up?

Meh, anything can be made into a horrifying figure if the story's told well.

He's some new mithos creature spawned on 4chan's /x/.

Shortly after the youtube channel marble hornets popped up and it went viral.

(Like most original content from 4chan, it is doomed for everyone to forget it's place of origin)

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

TheBobmus:
Googled him.

(Like most original content from 4chan, it is doomed for everyone to forget it's place of origin)

Except that this is just plain wrong. It's *not* original content from 4chan, it was created on SomethingAwful's forums. Fuck, the thread where the slenderman was created still exists so you can go SEE the very first incarnation of the slenderman.

Hell I know you were already too lazy to google the origins of the slenderman so you're definitely too lazy to google them a second time, so HERE

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

That's the original thread, and the original post (about halfway down), created by member Victor Surge As part of a "Create paranormal images" contest.

I just want to add a little bit of knowledge to this thread but there's a film called Tall Man its about slender, its quite new and i don't know if its any good but i just thought it was funny that there's already a film about this guy

All he wants is 20 dollars. But seriously that is a really good question to which all I can answer is he just is scary.

I don't find Slender Man scary, but I do think he's a fascinating creation. I'm really amazed at how it's taken off and how it's fuelled some wonderful fiction like EveryManHybrid and Marble Hornets on youtube, not to mention the recent game - and being the inspiration for the Ender Men in Minecraft.

I have literally never found Slender Man scary or creepy. I do appreciate the effort that's gone into the "lore," though.

Am I so sick of these internet tough guys who clearly aren't fans of horror. Its not hard to understand the fad of a new horror game on youtube bringing in popularity into a topic. Nobody "obsesses" over him, its just popular at the moment.

Its one of those creepy things that you have to be interested in for it to be scary. I could show it to my parents and they would be like "oh its just a guy with no face", but I know Slenderman is more than that, and I've seen him 'in action' (fan videos like Marble Hornets/EverymanHYBRID) so he's scarier to me. I like horror and it interests me, so I go out of my way to look into scary stories, videos, and creepypastas and the like. Someone who doesn't like that shit won't care, but should at least be able to understand why others like it. There's a difference between the kind of people that play Amnesia because they heard it was "super scary game" and the people that go out of their way to find horror game mods and custom games.

Have I made myself redundantly clear yet?

Because he was awesome in Jack Slenderman.

Played the game once, read into it a little bit, visited r/slenderman.
Can say this, the game was boring. You walk around the forest until he catches you and you get static. It does jump scares about as well as any modern action horror game, without the action part obviously. I've heard Marble Hornets is good. I haven't seen any of it. I guess it can be about as scary as anything else, when you suspend your disbelieve it's scary and then you get up walk into the forest and give no fucks because you know it isn't real.

First off, Marble Hornets is good. If you like Blair Witch-style horror, give it a shot.

Second: the Slender Man is intriguing because in most stories that use him he seems to be something otherworldy and unknowable. He's not a conventional killer stalking you. He has a purpose - we just don't know what it is. He has the power to make you disappear, yet he more often than not lets you walk free. Is he a ghost, a byproduct of an insane mind, or something far removed from us?

They're going to make a movie about him someday, I just know it... and it's going to suck.

Anything can really be scary if you just give the right atmosphere. Play Slender in the afternoon with low sound and it's a laugh. Play it with headphones in the middle of the night and it's fucking scary.

I like it because he's a believable myth. I like how the mystery behind him is never really explained (not to my knowledge anyway) and he's just...freaky.

Beats me. He looks like a basketball player turned IRS agent. Scary for millionaires with off-shore accounts, maybe, but I'm not scared of him one bit. He's just a tall guy in a business suit. What's he gonna do? Examine my bank-statement?

slenderman is just agent 47 but people never see his face.

when does the found footage movie come out?... im sure there will be one

thanks to this thread i found creepypasta.com

RagTagBand:

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

TheBobmus:
Googled him.

Except that this is just plain wrong. It's *not* original content from 4chan, it was created on SomethingAwful's forums. Fuck, the thread where the slenderman was created still exists so you can go SEE the very first incarnation of the slenderman.

Hell I know you were already too lazy to google the origins of the slenderman so you're definitely too lazy to google them a second time, so HERE

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3

That's the original thread, and the original post (about halfway down), created by member Victor Surge As part of a "Create paranormal images" contest.

My bad, though don't hold it against me for never ever wanting to go on something awful.

He's a nice guy.

This was amazing. Would of been better if they never interacted with it but still a great a laugh.

As for the topic, the whole, "The more you think and know about it, the more powerful he becomes," is what I really like about it. I reminds me of my own opinion of Lovecraft, where if you see the monsters, you go insane but on the same side, you could just be going insane and you are just imagining things instead.

Same with the Slenderman, you could just be researching him, looking into things, and the more you know about him, why the more you see him in the shadows, the more he stalks you... and yet, he was never there.

I think Slender Man works great as an urban legend/ghost story, and love reading bits and pieces about him. My particular favorite is the "Der Ritter" story, gives me goosebumps every time (though the way it ends is kind of "meh"). I think all the "Slender Blogs" are running it into the ground though. I mean, establishing rules on how to run or fight against him, and explaining his origins and what not kills the mystery.

lacktheknack:

shogunblade:
As for Obsession, It's because it hasn't been sold to death Via Hot Topic products or anything else. The moment a movie ends up being made, Slender Man will have been too much.

Too late.

http://theslenderman.wikia.com/wiki/Windigo

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ajmeadows/the-slender-man-movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1658837/ (????)

The last link, the Tall Man, actually has nothing to do with the Slender Man. I mean the similarities might be intentional, trying to ride on the popularity of the Slender Man story, but the actually movie ends up being more of a thriller than horror movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked