Animes that could be improved via dubbing.

Okay, I am aware a number of you just threw up in your mouth after reading that title, but I would greatly appreciate it if this topic did not descend into another "subs vs. dubs topic".

So I've just started watching "Working!!" (aka Wagnaria!!) an anime only available subbed, and I have to say it's pretty damn funny. Not just because of the physical comedy, which I must admit I'm still a sucker for despite it being a bit of an anime cliche (what can I say it appeals to the "Looney Toons"/"Tom and Jerry" fan in me.), but also because of the dialogue, not only is it genuinely funny, but also quick and snappy. This got me thinking. If this show was dubbed it would, in my honest opinion, be a hell of a lot funnier. I mean it's still funny with the subs, and I generally don't have a strong opinion on the whole subs vs. dubs thing either way (though I tend to lean towards dubs), but the problem with reading subs is that more often than not your timing's going to be slightly off when it comes to reading the punchline and viewing the reaction. Perhaps this is a problem unique to subbed comedies...

My question to you is have you had any similar experiences, or just simply wished that there was a dubbed version of an anime you like?

The Tatami Galaxy comes to mind, where the main character talks way too fast for the subtitles to catch up, and the fact that it's a visually gorgeous anime means I'm spending more time trying to read the subs as fast as possible when I wanna enjoy the visuals, and pausing it for each line only infuriates me more.

I say dubs can help out with visually pleasing animes, or very dialogue heavy animes, so you can enjoy the pretty art a lot more while getting a full grasp of the story. I'd like to see a dub for animes like The Tatami Galaxy, Kara no Kyoukai, Bakemonogatari, Katanagatari, etc.

And I generally like dubs, by the way. I don't care much for Japanese VAs, and English dubs, especially recently, have been as good if not better than the original. Sure there some bad ones here and there, but most of the time I enjoy them.

While I don't have one that can be improved by dubbing, I do have one that has been improved by it.

Entering, Redline. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at, and you don't want to miss a second of it by only looking at the bottom of it, reading subtitles.

When I first watched it, I didn't know there was a dubbed version. The subbed worked fine, I'm Swedish, so I'm used to subtitles, but when later watching the dubbed one, I feel like I can get even more out of it.

Panties & Stocking with Garterbelt would improve a lot from an English dub in my eyes.
Considering it's a silly show it just never felt right reading subs while watching it.
I can't really think of any others because after viewing a show I can't even remember if it was subbed or dubbed in the first place.
Though I would like to see a dub of Bakemonogatari, just because it's my favorite anime and I'd love to hear Senjougahara in English.
I feel her creepy lines might have a bit more impact.

"If I kill you, that means I'll be the one closest to you when you're on your deathbed. Isn't it romantic?"

Shinsei-J:
Panties & Stocking with Garterbelt would improve a lot from an English dub in my eyes.
Considering it's a silly show it just never felt right reading subs while watching it.

I take it you haven't heard about the Dub release of that anime?

The dub was mostly alright but I didn't like they added swearing during the part that wasn't swearing and vice versa.

As for me the only one I can think of is The Little Norse Prince aka Hols: Prince of the Sun but only because that is the only anime I know that doesn't got a dub yet. While it's fine the way it is but I'm kind of suprise me that it doesn't got a dub yet seeing how the story is somewhat more appealing to kids (kind of like legend of Zelda as in a kid go on a adventure slaying monsters and etc).

Scarim Coral:

I take it you haven't heard about the Dub release of that anime?

The dub was mostly alright but I didn't like they added swearing during the part that wasn't swearing and vice versa.

Well, I recall Funimation being told by Gainax to make the dub as raunchy as possible and to introduce more American slangs for them.

Scarim Coral:
-Snip

Well that just makes me sad.
I thought it would be awesome.

Scarim Coral:

There is no swearing in the Japanese language.

I know of some I like better dubbed.

I loved Hetalia dubbed and subbed but the dub was more appealing because of the accents. You really get a good sense of the country's nationality with them and you don't get that in the sub. Not to say the sub wasn't good. But they also did a very good job in dubbing it.

I also preferred the Code Geass dub. This was because seeing as how Japan was taken over by Britannia and many of the people living there were now Britannias would it make more sense that they would speak English? I know this isn't the best of reasons but it bugged me when I tried to watch the sub. The dubbing was good in my eyes as well.

I don't watch Anime with the original Japanese VAs, I'm all english (the only exception being Persona 4: The Animation because, well, it's Persona 4). So I guess I don't really have an opinion on the matter.

EDIT: Wait, I guess I do have an opinion.

While the Disgaea anime was shit visually, it's english dub was fucking fantastic. So much funnier that the original Japanese version.

Definitely any anime that is supposed to take place in an English or non-Japanese speaking setting. That is one of the few times where it really isn't even debatable. Otherwise I'd say it boils down to personal preference.

Revnak:
Definitely any anime that is supposed to take place in an English or non-Japanese speaking setting. That is one of the few times where it really isn't even debatable. Otherwise I'd say it boils down to personal preference.

I agree with this. I started watching Black Butler and it's set in England, I tried watching it in Japanese but it was very unfitting.

id love slayers redubbed but thats it

I usually prefer original Japanese voices to an English dub.
However, if there is one anime whose dub not only shines, but is better than the Japanese, it's Cowboy Bebop.
It just felt like the English cast put more feeling into their performances and it made the characters more sympathetic.

solidsnake101023:

Revnak:

I agree with this. I started watching Black Butler and it's set in England, I tried watching it in Japanese but it was very unfitting.

Guess what show I was talking about. The clue is left.

Revnak:

solidsnake101023:

Revnak:

Guess what show I was talking about. The clue is left.

I don't know... thinking... thinking... Nope, nothing comes to mind simple train conductor... Nothing at all.

OT: I'm generally of the stance that if you set an anime in a country outside of japan, it should probably get a dub of that native tongue

The only anime I can think of that has been improved by dubbing, not because of personal preference but just because it has, is Samurai Pizza Cats. Everything else is personal preference, yes, even Cowboy Bebop.

As for my own... My Dear Marie. An obscure anime only 3 episodes long. The reason I prefer the dub here is simply because I initially saw it dubbed and fell in love with the voices.

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad was improved VASTLY by the dub. At least, if you're fluent in english it was. The characters that are supposed to be native english speakers going off to the side and having a conversation in engrish is painful to listen to. Same with an English speaking band giving props to a singer who murdered one of their songs.

I find Japanese similar to that nails-against-a-chalkboard sound so pretty much everything for me.

iblis666:

Their's already a slayers dub, I have two boxsets of the English Dub.

Or do you mean, have a different dub with different VA's, because the english dub was perfectly all right in my book.

Jazoni89:

iblis666:

Their's already a slayers dub, I have two boxsets of the English Dub.

Or do you mean, have a different dub with different VA's, because the english dub was perfectly all right in my book.

yes and the first season is horrible and needs a redub or it could just be the voice actor they used for lina has a voice that is grating

For me, there are some that are better as dub and better as sub.

For instance, I'm going to take a step back into the 80s and use MD Geist as an example. In english, he sounds badass. In Japanese...not so much, not even remotely, and he is suppose to be a living weapon. Living weapons have to sound it as much as look it and act it.

On the other hand, my favorite anime of all - Heroic Age - seems better to me in terms of just the way it sounds in Japanese. Flows better, if that makes any real sense.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked