Hey anime fans, is the Dragon Ball series actually revered as a good anime?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Honestly DBZ is just ok. I mean it's classic shonen and it will always be a part of my childhood, but it just doesn't hold up well. There is a ton of filler in it and things really drag at times. It's the kind of anime you put on for mindless entertainment. I still enjoy it, but it is in no way in my top 10. Also since you have seen so little of anime I recommend you go outside the realm of shonen. Some of my favorite anime are Madoka Magica, Baccano, and Cowboy Bebop. Fair warning on Madoka it starts out seeming like a nice innocent typical magical girl show until ep 3 where it gets really dark and just keeps getting darker. Baccano on the other hand is a unique show it takes place in 1930's New York and it tells three stories and switches between them. You have to watch the whole thing for some stuff to make sense, it's like the more you watch the more you can piece things together and see how everything's connected. As for Cowboy Bebop it's a classic and an amazing show it's about space bounty hunters and all the stuff they go through. These that I listed are very different from what you have seen so I hope you consider watching them.

Shadowsetzer:
I'm not sure that's a good followup for someone who's only seen shounen anime....

evilneko:
Eva's overrated. >.>

ruedyn:
I don't know many people that like Eva.

Episodes 7-13 and the first half of 14 are skippable bullshit, but the rest is quite good (assuming that you watch the movie instead of episodes 25 & 26).

I like to tell people that I pretend I didn't watch it, even as I openly admit to having once been a die-hard fan. It sends people mixed-messages.

I wouldn't call it good but there is something stupidly compelling about the series, at least until it just starts getting wacky and overpowered. I thought the best arc for it was the planet Namic one with.... uhhh Freza or whatever.

Elect G-Max:

Shadowsetzer:
I'm not sure that's a good followup for someone who's only seen shounen anime....

evilneko:
Eva's overrated. >.>

ruedyn:

Episodes 7-13 and the first half of 14 are skippable bullshit, but the rest is quite good (assuming that you watch the movie instead of episodes 25 & 26).

That doesn't really help your case much. :p

I found the anime was bad but in a good way, it was so stupidly over the top and didn't take its self too seriously, and that was a large part of the appeal.

Shadowsetzer:

Elect G-Max:

Sean Hollyman:
I've seen Dragon Shit, Dragon Shit Z, Dragon Shit GT, Pokeshit, Shit Eater, and Beyshit.

You need to watch better anime. I recommend:

For the love of god, DO NOT LISTEN TO HIM!

I'll just leave these here:

I think the original Dragon Ball still holds up well, it is a nice mix of silly cartoon gags, adventure, and action, and in the later seasons it actually gets pretty serious and fairly dark (King Piccolo saga and beyond). DBZ I still enjoy but mostly out of nostalgia, it something fun to watch in the background, not really something you watch intently. And I haven't seen any of GT, and really haven't heard anything good about it.

Let me Sumurize:
the Dragonball series isnt good, But what made it work, what made it fun, was how it was over the top Large Hams, viceral combat, and camp.

Dumptrucks of Camp.

Pokemon was good, up until about the end of the Hoenn Era, because it was, abit horribly paced, built around a concept which when taken seriously/realistically, makes for a pretty dark thing, and rather ridiculous, it was a series about growing up. Ash begins by teaching pikachu to open up, then Brock teaches Ash and Misty to be better people, and finally, Ash teaches these lessons to May and Max. everything after D&P came out was just crap.

DBZ was so good that when fans made DBZ Abridged it blew everyone's goddamned minds.
Dragonball its pretty much a staple of any anime fan's memories.

Daystar Clarion:
Dragonball Z is one of those shows that's so bad, it's good :D

It's the Devil May Cry of anime.

Inb4 Hazy.

I think that Devil May Cry is the Devil May Cry of anime. Just saying.

OT: DB/Z/GT aren't pinnacles of anime, but they're what a lot of westerners cut their teeth on, so we remember it fondly and go back to visit it occasionally, though now it's more along the lines of the old Ninja Turtles show, we watch for the absurdity more so than the action. At least that's how I feel on it anyways.

Hazy992:

Daystar Clarion:

Hazy992:
Well Dragon Ball is considered a genuinely good anime and one of the most influential. Dragon Ball Z however jumped the shark but in a good way. It's just ridiculous :D

It's one of the most ridiculous, OTT things I've ever seen and I love every minute of it :D

I actually really think the Abridged series is the best way to watch the series :D

LOL close second maybe :P Super Kami Guru is my favourite character :D

Have you watched Kai? It's so fucking awesome but a lot of DBZ fans hate it. DBZ FANS Y U NO LIKE KAI? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Though I don't hate it, I hate what they did to it:

A. Claim they created it
B. MS paint bucket dumped colors over where the blood is supposed to be

Terminate421:

Hazy992:

Daystar Clarion:

I actually really think the Abridged series is the best way to watch the series :D

LOL close second maybe :P Super Kami Guru is my favourite character :D

Have you watched Kai? It's so fucking awesome but a lot of DBZ fans hate it. DBZ FANS Y U NO LIKE KAI? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Though I don't hate it, I hate what they did to it:

A. Claim they created it
B. MS paint bucket dumped colors over where the blood is supposed to be

What do you mean by 'claim they created it'? Who did? What exactly did this person claim?

As for the lack of blood

HA HA HA HA AH HA HA AHA HA HA HA HAHA AH... no.

It's fine for kids but like other shows for kids, it spends too much time on fighting to the point where it become absurd and boring.

Um....I guess it's a enjoyable experience if you have the entire series and a fast forward option to skip all the needless crap they put in to fill up air time, which by the way is A LOT. I think that's the only way I would ever rewatch the series.

As for Eva it's a very interesting series but it's also very easy to see why a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it.

I watched it when I was in high school. To be honest, I enjoyed the original DB more, primarily because the characters were more interesting and there wasn't as much padding. That's kind of the rub: DBZ was padded to all hell, and the animation was not very good. It was important in the evolution and the rise in popularity of shonen anime (following in the footsteps of stuff like "Fist of the North Star" and "Saint Seiya"), but I wouldn't say it's a classic the way something like "Akira" or "Patlabor 2" is a classic.

It's well-executed for what it's trying to do (the manga more so than the anime), but it's mostly remembered as "that thing you used to watch on Toonami". It's thematically empty, the characters are often lacking in personality, the conflicts are too basic to be very interesting, and of course it's one of the worst examples of padding ever in any form of media. By all means, watch it, then become a fan of the Abridged series, have a blast, but if you plan on really getting into the Otaku pool, you can start with probably Neon Genesis Evangelion, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Full-Metal Alchemist, and for the community's flavor of the year, Madoka Magica.

I prefer Dragon Ball myself, it's a bit more fun and less dragged out.

DBZ was decent enough at the time, but I think Kai is a better version.

GT isn't canon, so screw it.

And since we've decided to hop on the topic, every episode of Evangelion including the final two, are fantastic. Never after has something so utterly honest about it's creator come forth (that was the 90's for ya). It's got good characters with relatable struggles, and it's balls-out amazing because it succeeds not in spite of breaking all the rules of storytelling 101, but because it does so. (That's part of the point.)

End of Evangelion is also really good, but ends in the most thematically self-contradictory way ever.

The Rebuild movies are so far solid, but it remains yet to be seen whether it will "fix" the ending (that was never broken), but also raises it's own concerns by taking a lot of the things that were unique and unhinged about the original creation's and sort of smoothing them out what is a more universally agreeable, but less flavorful vanilla. The best description comes from TVTropes, which says that it's basically like the original show is someone with serious mental problems, and the Rebuild series is that person on their medication.

Colour-Scientist:

Daystar Clarion:

I love Goku's character in the Abridged series. He's so delightfully retarded. Well, there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

Know what's even better than that?

"TELL MOM. (KORN RIFF) TO PUT ON DINNER. (KORN RIFF) BECAUSE I'M HUNGRY."

evilneko:

Elect G-Max:

Shadowsetzer:

evilneko:
Eva's overrated. >.>

ruedyn:

That doesn't really help your case much. :p

I found eva to only be decent,

Granted, this was coming off of watching Gainaxes' other amazing series' FLCL and Gurren Lagann.

Honestly the only memorable parts of Eva that stick out in my mind was the fight scene with Asuka during the movie, and that part where

It was fun, but I prefer Dragonball Kai. It told the same story, but in 97 episodes.

Hazy992:

Because fans do not like change and you can't get the right DBZ experience without sitting through hours of powering up, grunting, and filler. I honestly don't know how serious I was being with that last part.

Also, if you don;t know what GT is, I sort of envy you. But do know it's where pink shirt vegeta came from(...i think)

I did enjoy the show growing up. My sister was an utter fanatic and bought the box-sets so I did end up watching along. Each set took a God damn day to finish in one sitting.

But would I consider it a GOOD anime or even admit to LIKING it? Nah, probably not.I was gonna type out a long rant but I think it'd be too long plus I'd just be repeating what other people would be saying

The series itself is kinda funny and great battles.
But they're pulling out on soooooo many things with discussions not needed, and everyone who gets a next evolution always takes 2 episodes the first time etc.
So as an anime it isn't too well done but it was fun to watch as a kid and the manga is OK even at later years.

DBZ sucks horribly on its own

If you want to enjoy DBZ, watch Abridged

No - I'll leave it at that. It's just...awful. D;

Austin Howe:

Colour-Scientist:

Daystar Clarion:

I love Goku's character in the Abridged series. He's so delightfully retarded. Well, there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

Know what's even better than that?

"TELL MOM. (KORN RIFF) TO PUT ON DINNER. (KORN RIFF) BECAUSE I'M HUNGRY."

I think the edited version being referenced here was the WB CW 4Kids Toonzai edit that brought us Blue Popo

How dare you (OP) mention the abortion that is GT, in the same sentence, that holds beloved childhood memories?

Shame.

Seriously tho, starter sets will always be beloved. Hell, I still think the Dragonlance books are great.

Did they change the dialogue in Dragonball Z Kai? Because I was very surprised by how good the story and the dialogue was. Not mind blowing in any way, but very well put together.

Its a fun little entertaining show thats only downfall is the length and time required to watch it all. I put it up there with Zoids, Inu Yasha, and Bleach, I watch them to be entertained for half an hour and thats just what I get.

Now I wouldn't make the argument that it's revered by the anime community, a lot of people love it for the nostalgia and entertainment value, but to become revered it has to be a true game changer and anime that will never be forgotten (aka Akira, Evangelion).

I liked Dragonball Z and didn't particularly like the original.
But, I haven't watched them since I was like 10.

As for Evangelion, I love it.
And I do recommend it to everyone.
Not everyone likes it, but thats okay.
I honestly think that you should watch it before listening to anyone's opinion on the matter.

The thing that made the Dragon Ball series special was that it was one of the few anime series that actually is like the anime series of today where you have like 500 episodes. But what makes the difference with Dragon Ball is that you saw Goku grow up from being a child and going on multiple adventures. The same is for DBZ but not exactly as much growth but more of true origins and how far they could take the series but even then there is growth such as the next generation.

I will say that the reason it gets a lot of hate now is simply because of all the parody of the show. The thing about being online is that people often accept the parody as the reason it was bad and while there is a grain of truth to it the downside is that you don't actually see the drama and the real characters personality.

As for animes of today? Well the problem is that while they are 500 episodes long there is rarely any actual growth of the characters in terms of age that presents proper pacing. It's just running that long as possible because it can and that is what made me lose all interest in anime. It stopped being about either being a short adventure that ranged from 10-50 episodes with the very rare Dragon ball or Robotech series that your average consumer could handle to every series being 700 episodes long and no actual growth or resolution created.

The anime has some huge problems, mainly with the pacing.

I prefer the manga. I think that's cliched, but still good.

It's way too goofy, and the writing tends to suck, and there is entirely too much filler, and battles can take ages, and and and...

But when the gears get crankin', the show is unbeatable for pure action.
Which is what you're watching it for anyway right? :p

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked