What is this warcry?

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I found this website called warcry. I have some questions:
1. why is no one on it
2. why am I logged in to this website?

edit

We now have a restoration effort at warcry Join us.

I think its like an alternitive Escapist set up by somone who got banned

though mabye they kind left the project and its more or less dead

It was what the escapist was before there was the escapist.

Im sure.

Warcry was founded sometime in the 90's I believe. It's owned by Themis Group (the guys that own The Escapist) so when The Escapist was founded in 2005 they must have linked the forums with each other. People from Warcry can post here (which is why you see people with join dates from before 2005) and we can post there.

Hazy992:
Warcry was founded sometime in the 90's I believe. It's owned by Themis Group (the guys that own The Escapist) so when The Escapist was founded in 2005 they must have linked the forums with each other. People from Warcry can post here (which is why you see people with join dates from before 2005) and we can post there.

Oh, thanks Hazy, that makes sense!

Evil Smurf:

Hazy992:

Oh, thanks Hazy, that makes sense!

No problem, hope that's cleared that up for you :)

My work here is done :P

Hazy992:

Are the forums there moderated?

Maybe thats where sentient bots are created.......

Luftwaffles:

Hazy992:

Well if this is anything to go by it seems the spambots have won http://www.warcry.com/forums/index/79-WarCry-Discussion

Seriously, what the hell?

Hazy992:
Well if this is anything to go by it seems the spambots have won http://www.warcry.com/forums/index/79-WarCry-Discussion

Dafuq? If they can post here as well . . .
Wow, I don't know what to say about that.

Anyway, I find it hilarious that a spambot has a badge for over 100 posts without incurring moderator wrath.

TopazFusion:

Hazy992:

Dafuq? If they can post here as well . . .
Wow, I don't know what to say about that.

Anyway, I find it hilarious that a spambot has a badge for over 100 posts without incurring moderator wrath.

It looks like they've just given up moderating it. Maybe it doesn't get enough traffic anymore to justify it? If they post here though they'll get the banhammer

100 posts?

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

Hazy992:

Thats what im trying to tell you. Its like a training/breeding ground for spambots.

Luftwaffles:

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

Thats what im trying to tell you. Its like a training/breeding ground for spambots.

Well based on that I'd say your theory holds water. We've actually found the spambot in its natural habitat O_o

You can literally hear the echo when you post in the war cry forum. There was a bit of bad blood when it was decided to merge the posting abilities of both sites. From what I remember, a few staff members ended up leaving because of it. There is a thread kicking around there somewhere written by a former mod which describes what happened. As far as I know it's not really a pleasant chapter in either site's history so you might not find many staff members on the escapist willing to talk about it.

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

Hazy992:

Well based on that I'd say your theory holds water. We've actually found the spambot in its natural habitat O_o

That is totally freaking me out. It's like knowing that there's a nest of (insert monster name here) living under your house.

Warcry wasn't doing all that much when I joined the Escapist years ago, and I used to peek my head in there from time to time, but I didn't realize it had just... Died.

This is depressing.

Did some digging

Quote by mrcheese.

Hmmm... Perhaps I can clear this up. I was one of those at the centre of the whole thing anyway. To clear things up first - I'm mrcheese, my old account was banned by an escapist moderator for commenting in this off-topic forum that the place was dead and their "integration" of the two communities had not worked well - more on that later.

Now, I used to manage the Lineage 2 Warcry site. Sadly, I did not manage it in its prime (when it was receiving close to 1 million unique hits per month) but towards the end of its life as the site shifted to a central news hub format. Now we had been aware for a while that Warcry had a sister site in the escapist - most of the warcry regulars went there once and deemed it pseudo-intellectuals and children arguing over meaningless drivel - a sort of Gaia online without the silly avatars. We promptly never returned there and pretty much forgot it existed.

The issues started when the powers that be decided that the two sites should merge their forum communities. This was done in one of the worst ways possible - by introducing a badge for posting in each site's forums, then creating a link to a random Warcry subforum on the escapist forum list and vice versa.

Now from the escapist user's point of view, this was just a new forum for them to post on - most had no clue what the forum was, any established rules, etc - they just wanted that damn badge. Luckily for the first few months the linked forums were for small, inactive warcry subforums. Then one day they linked to Lineage 2 warcry.

With the site still being pretty active, myself and the moderators were suddenly fighting a losing battle against escapist users finding a 3 year old thread and commenting "lol" on it. There were forum rules in place forbidding thread necromancy and pointless bumping posts, 99% of escapist users ignored these things and broke those rules. As a result I ended up banning several hundred escapist users permanently from the Lineage 2 forums, the forum of the week changed, the problem ended.

The real issue began when those users banned from the forum I was maintaining were unable to get their "x posts without moderator wrath" badges due to a ban existing on their account. Escapist moderators and their new "community manager" were very upset that because their users failed to heed rules and thus were ineligible to get those damn badges (i've seen the forum backend - there is no way to remove a record of a ban having existed - I myself was ineligible to recieve those same badges because I banned myself one day out of curiosity).

After a few angry PMs about this, I posted a thread enquiring why the forum merger was being forced upon us in such an odd, intrusive way. The thread was immediately locked by this community manager (whose name eludes me as I think they vanished back off to the escapist after causing these problems). At that point I said my goodbyes, it was clear no discussion would be accepted on the merger and any insinuation that it had failed would not be tolerated, so I left warcry. Soon after, a forum regular posted a thread enquiring why mine had been locked - his thread was deleted and he was banned without warning. This upset a majority of the other regulars who either left or voiced their opinions and were again banned.

Around two weeks too late, the very high ups at Themis (the company who own and operate both sites) posted a thread encouraging Warcry regulars to voice their concerns about the way this integration was happening. With most of the users who tried to voice concerns banned or gone, the thread turned into escapist regulars commenting on how mean all the warcry people were. This thread still exists here: http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/12.112018-A-Tale-of-Two-Communities-of-Thread-Necro-and-a-discussion-that-needs-to-happen

As a final word, I was angry at that escapist comminuty manager dude because I had been reprimanded for enforcing the rules of the forum I managed. I perma banned spammers and people necroing threads because that was the rule - you did that, you got banned. He was upset I wasn't giving warnings and temporary suspensions like HIS forums did. Just to ice the cake, my (rather sarcastic) thread about the great success of the community merger garnered an instant ban from this guy. Nice to know he doesn't practice what he preaches: http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/12.165208-Wow#4340743

I actually found out about warcry last year, abit after the lulsec thing when the scapist was horribly horribly slow and groups wouldnt load.

Never knew the history behind it though.

also need to highlight this

most of the warcry regulars went there once and deemed it pseudo-intellectuals and children arguing over meaningless drivel

Good to see that the escapist never changed.

Gatx:

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

That is totally freaking me out. It's like knowing that there's a nest of (insert monster name here) living under your house.

And the worst part is we all have an account there. The spambots could be watching you. Right now, waiting. O_o

Hazy992:

Gatx:

Hazy992:

And the worst part is we all have an account there. The spambots could be watching you. Right now, waiting. O_o

watching you O.o This gives me a sad.
Forum users should have a stable, moderated community. Looking at warcry, latest news bulletin from a mod was from a year ago. The place is like the elephants grave yard in the lion king. Hopefully the users moved over here. This is a nice community. :)

Evil Smurf:

Hazy992:

Gatx:

watching you O.o This gives me a sad.
Forum users should have a stable, moderated community. Looking at warcry, latest news bulletin from a mod was from a year ago. The place is like the elephants grave yard in the lion king. Hopefully the users moved over here. This is a nice community. :)

TopazFusion actually found a couple of Escapist regulars posting there, using it as a 'safe haven' to have a chat. That's kinda weird it's like using a graveyard or an abandoned hospital as a safe haven :/

Hazy992:
TopazFusion actually found a couple of Escapist regulars posting there, using it as a 'safe haven' to have a chat. That's kinda weird it's like using a graveyard or an abandoned hospital as a safe haven :/

What.......for post count farming? That's low.

Evil Smurf:

Hazy992:

What.......for post count farming? That's low.

It looked like they were having an actual chat so I don't think so. There were three of them so maybe they wanted to chat but obviously couldn't do it via PM?

It became like a private forum for them. Free from the inane and the vacous and a chance to engage in a forum where everyone was familiar with eachother.

I can see the appeal.

Raven's Nest:
It became like a private forum for them. Free from the inane and the vacous and a chance to engage in a forum where everyone was familiar with eachother.

Luftwaffles:
I can see the appeal.

I have that here. In user groups and some threads you can enjoy the community. Each to his own I guess, I had to shut the warcry tab because it was too sad.

Interesting story. I recently heard about Warcry myself and read the Wikipedia page. I even went to take a look for myself. It's cool to hear the story behind it though. I always find it interesting to hear the history of dead sites that used to be big. The internet doesn't really make a habit of recording these kind of events.

Although I didn't exactly scour the whole place I didn't see any recent posts on there that weren't just spam bots. The last posts from what appeared to be humans were news posts from 2 years ago. I might have to go exploring for this "safe haven" section and see what people are up to.

leecho7:
I personally don't care about the 'merger' or whatever you want to call it. Admittedly I was kind of getting annoyed by the spam whores on our site, but I found that I genuinely liked some of the 'new' members from the escapist.
I think what a lot of people need to consider is that many of us from Warcry have been apart of this forum for 4+ years... Goddamn we're losers.

oh god oh god I'm in this guy's position now. Except their equivalent of The Escapist was dying...

...I feel awful for them. I love my 'Scay 'Scay!

So this is what happens to websites when the traffic dies down and they are left to decay. Interesting that in the real world something abandoned gets reclaimed by nature, in the internet it gets bugged up by new browsers not interpreting the old code correctly (see the thread title bar of the link I've posted) and gets reclaimed by spambots.

This is the future of the Escapists, the future of all internet sites eventually. It's like staring into the eyes of the Terminator.

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

Hazy992:

It's amazing. You could almost do a David Attenborough style commentary of it while surfing the forums. I found a thread started by one spambot, which another spambot recognised was about the topic it was spamming, so it joined in the discussion and posted its necessary links in a creepily sentient sort of way.
http://www.warcry.com/forums/read/79.385746-Dont-miss-the-Diablo-3-website

Luftwaffles:
Did some digging

Quote by mrcheese.

[quote]most of the warcry regulars went there once and deemed it pseudo-intellectuals and children arguing over meaningless drivel

Damn straight!

Captcha: I'm sorry dave Ok, that's just plain terrifying.

Hero in a half shell:
So this is what happens to websites when the traffic dies down and they are left to decay. Interesting that in the real world something abandoned gets reclaimed by nature, in the internet it gets bugged up by new browsers not interpreting the old code correctly (see the thread title bar of the link I've posted) and gets reclaimed by spambots.

This is the future of the Escapists, the future of all internet sites eventually. It's like staring into the eyes of the Terminator.

Hazy992:

Luftwaffles:

It's amazing. You could almost do a David Attenborough style commentary of it while surfing the forums. I found a thread started by one spambot, which another spambot recognised was about the topic it was spamming, so it joined in the discussion and posted its necessary links in a creepily sentient sort of way.

Wait, so the spambots are actually spamming other spambots? What the actual hell? That's fucking meta O_o

Hero in a half shell:

This is what will happen when the captchas take over the world and kill all the humans. Nothing but sad and spam. Imreally hope this doe not happen anytime soon to the escapist.

That's quite an interesting story. I clicked onto the site and it really was like a ghost town. Filled with spambots though. They seem to breed there. It's sad, I had to close the tab.

Hero in a half shell:

That is creepy and so very weird!

Luftwaffles:
Did some digging

Quote by mrcheese.

snip

I actually found out about warcry last year, abit after the lulsec thing when the scapist was horribly horribly slow and groups wouldnt load.

most of the warcry regulars went there once and deemed it pseudo-intellectuals and children arguing over meaningless drivel

Woah, I feel bad for the guy.

Talk about destroying a website. The guys on the escapist seemed to have fucked up pretty bad. Destroy a website and drive away it's users. No wonder there are only about 2 users from 2003 and around that these days.

Matthew94:

Luftwaffles:
Did some digging

Quote by mrcheese.

snip

Talk about destroying a website. The guys on the escapist seemed to have fucked up pretty bad. Destroy a website and drive away it's users. No wonder there are only about 2 users from 2003 and around that these days.

I don't think they knew it would happen, I hope not Otherwise Kross will have actualy done sosomething evil.

Evil Smurf:

Matthew94:

Luftwaffles:
Did some digging

Quote by mrcheese.

I don't think they knew it would happen, I hope not Otherwise Kross will have actualy done sosomething evil.

No, they just banned the mods of Warcry for voicing their opinions.

Nooooo people discovered our secret bunker D:

Seriously though, Luft is right. Nowadays it's dead bar me, Portal, oppp and whoever else wants to drop in on that one thread, plus Skynet.

What a depressing thread. A vile mix if hate, jealousy and power tripping.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here