3.6% (39)
Well below average
1.8% (20)
1.8% (20)
I can count to potato!
6.2% (68)
6.2% (68)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Colour-Scientist:
I'm probably average. Better than many in some areas, worse than many in others. It all balances out, I suppose.

Oh wait, this is The Escapist.

I have an IQ of 2,000,000 AND I can count to firetruck.

Bow before my smert.

Yor smertnis! It burnz!

I must admit, the poll results are... interesting. I had not realized that the Escapist doubles as the Lake Wobegon community forums. As for me, I'm smug enough to privately consider myself smart, but only periodically honest enough to admit that I'm not. Every stereotypically smart characteristic in me is balanced out by an equivalent dumb one, making me pretty much average.

My IQ was in the 98th percentile when I took a test last year the year before last, I can't remember which test it was for reference, and I'm not digging up the paperwork, so don't ask me to. Basically, my IQ is in the high end of the category called "Near Genius". Where's my poll option?

To be fair though, all that means is that I'm good at maths, English, reading comprehension and puzzles. I have almost zero creative talent, and cannot function without direction.

Edit: As an addendum, I would just like to note, there are countless IQ tests, all using different scales, so without specifying which IQ test you took, giving the score is not a very accurate guide.

I love it. Lets level up our internet c***s!

I went for "I can count to Potato" because there is no metric more inaccurate than a self-report. If you had everyone take an IQ test then (anonymously) post the results, that's one thing. But simply asking "How smart are you?" is only going to get you a lot of "slightly above average" because most people believe that. Very few actually think they're geniuses, and very few think they're stupid.

Here's an article on the matter if you're interested. The important bit, however is right in the first sentence in the abstract:

"Correlations between single-item self-reports of intelligence and IQ scores are rather low (.20-.25)"

Basically that means they've done studies where they asked people to rate their intelligence then take an IQ test. Those studied yielded a very low correlation. While an IQ is not the best method to rate such things either, it is more accurate since it is not self report.

Here is another article specifically dealing with self-reports.

I picked "Genius!", everybody is "slightly above average" these days.

Well I usually assume myself to be about average but several school assignments, IQ tests and a long list of odd nerdy interests say that I'm slightly above the average.

Me? I'm the bestest thing to evar happen to humans sense.... ever!!

On a serious note, it all depends on who I would be comparing to.
For instance, I am well ahead of my gymnasium classmates as I am often teaching them when our teacher is busy with other students.

Xaio30:

For instance, I am well ahead of my gymnasium classmates as I am often teaching them when our teacher is busy with other students.

I assume you are a fellow German. If so, I would advise you to use "grammar school" instead of "gymnasium", because being good at sports is not all that impressive when it comes to intelligence ;-)

I like to think I'm smarter. I'm going to a good university, I'm good at maths and sciences, I'm artsy and I'm good at critical thinking.

But yea, probably average...

Average. I was a Mensa-level genius as a kid, but lost it as I got older. I imagine I'm just going to keep slipping. :(

It takes a lot of stupidity to go out and publicly claim to be more intelligent than other people. Especially since you're probably basing it off an encounter with, what, 100 people? And how many of them just your classmates?
I have a different way of thinking than most people I met. That's all, that is not intelligence.

47_Ronin:

Xaio30:

I assume you are a fellow German. If so, I would advise you to use "grammar school" instead of "gymnasium", because being good at sports is not all that impressive when it comes to intelligence ;-)

Yes it is. It so, so is.

I get better grades than most of my friends, so I went for slightly above average.

47_Ronin:

Xaio30:

Sorry, Swedish. ;)
And I hope you realize that the first sentence was misspelled on purpose.

A gymnasium here has nothing to do with sports, but is the natural follow-up to our standard 9 years of study.
You endure the gymnasium to be applicable to a University where the real fun begins.

Just a thought...

If the majority of people are "Slightly above average" would that not indicate that the majority are "Slightly above average" and therefore that "Average" is slightly above average. Once you consider this, "Slightly above average" translates as "I am insecure about my intellect", which coincides with the amount of nerds who rate themselves at roughly 155 whenever asked to state their IQ (Or my favorite someone who listed themselves at 174. And used utterly horrendous grammar and spelling whilst challenging my challenge about their stated level of intelligence)

Which is also rather insane, considering that very few (Out of the global population) rate at anything above 140, 150 is considered to be "Genius" level and that IQ's are essentially worthless tests of intelligence. To quote my old Psychology tutor "Attempting to rate someones IQ is like attempting to work out how tall an acorn will grow. Utterly pointless as it depends more on the environment the acorn is planted in then the acorn itself". This further feeds into the imbalance of scores towards the higher end of the spectrum as usually people who consider themselves as intelligent are the ones to obsessively check their IQ with various internet tests (Or joining circlejerk organizations like MENSA).

For the record, I put down "I can count to potato".

Next why don't you start a thread asking "Who here has Autism or some other personality/anxiety disorder" or "Who here is Asexual". Just saying that the results are automatically messed up due to the people who are likely to flock towards the poll.

As for how I rate to the rest of the country I am currently residing in? Well, being able to count as high as potato would be rather impressive for many of my countrymen, we did vote in the Tories (Ish, anyway, I fully understand that they did not win anything close to a majority. But I tar the morons who voted Lib Dem with the same brush. Anyone could have seen that betrayal coming.)

I expect most people will lie and put at least 'above average'. Bearing in mind that intelligence is given out somewhat from a limited pool of points in real life (imagine that, a D&D references that actually refers to real life). People with IQ scores over 130 tend to have lower than average EQ scores. Hence social awkwardness. In the end by the time your 26, that 140+ IQ doesn't seem so great. Especially when people turn your antics into a crap comedy show...

Fraser Greenfield:
I expect most people will lie and put at least 'above average'. Bearing in mind that intelligence is given out somewhat from a limited pool of points in real life (imagine that, a D&D references that actually refers to real life). People with IQ scores over 130 tend to have lower than average EQ scores. Hence social awkwardness. In the end by the time your 26, that 140+ IQ doesn't seem so great. Especially when people turn your antics into a crap comedy show...

my experience supports this, i have a well above average logical intelligence, in turn i have little knowledge of, or tolerance for, social contact

i mostly talk to specific people who understand me, everyone else, is very uncomfortable

i rate very high on IQ tests because they mostly test the very things i'm good at, and completely ignore a ton of things i'm NOT good at

i have little idea what my overall is, but: i am very good at taking IQ tests

Xaio30:

47_Ronin:

Xaio30:

Sorry, Swedish. ;)
And I hope you realize that the first sentence was misspelled on purpose.

A gymnasium here has nothing to do with sports, but is the natural follow-up to our standard 9 years of study.
You endure the gymnasium to be applicable to a University where the real fun begins.

Close enough^^ In German it means more or less the same, its just that in English the word gymnasium or gym is used to describe the place you go to train, do sports etc. Thats all.

I'm smart enough to realize that those who think of themselves as smarter, generally aren't.

And I'm not surprised that most people have put Above Average.

are you aware that you do not have to guess but can actually get tested on stuff like this? ^^

also, i am proud to be able to say i can not only count to potato, no no no! ...bacon.

Zhukov:

Also, fun fact: most people believe they are slightly above average. Which of course cannot possibly be true considering the definition of average.

Ever saw that study that asked university lecturers to rate their ability in comparison to their peers? IIRC over 60% described themselves as "above average" :P

OT: Smart enough to realize there seems to be differing forms of intelligence and I have yet to meet a person who was truly dumb in all things (i.e: streetsmart vs booksmart).

Well, let us see. I got my Associate's Degree at age seventeen with a 3.73 GPA, but only because I practically skipped high school. The summer out of eighth grade I took my first class in college using the state's dual-enrollment program. I just continued doing that (coupled with a bit of token home school for a diploma) instead of going to a public high school. The best part is the state of Florida paid for it.

But then again, the American educational system's pretty easy to dominate, so whether or not that's a valid metric of intelligence is up for debate.

Let's go with IQ tests than, shall we?

...Well, that's what I would say, but I've never actually taken an IQ test. It was never required of me.
There's the United States' SAT (for whatever whatever good that is), saying I'm better than 86-93% of the nation who took the test last year, depending on the subject. I'd say that's consistently above average. But again, it's America we're talking about.

There's plenty of metrics concerning intelligence, and I'm capable of decently scoring in most of them. You've got communication, practical applications, academic knowledge, yadda yadda; I like to think I'm pretty well rounded.

I'd never say I'm a genius, but I am going to go with "Above average". If only slightly.
Around here, I'm just another average escapist. Which is fitting, because the poll says above average is the new average.
And I'm fairly certain a sizable chunk of people around here are self-conscious enough to avoid the Dunning-Kruger effect. Not everybody, but a decent number at least.

Potato is a little too high for me my friends...

I'm not that intelligent, however, I'm socically well-equipped and a very potent thinker, both abstract and physical.

I have however, one simple handicap. I have a hard time understanding simple logic. I always seek for more variables then there are (needed). My mind somehow won't comprehend stuff that feels "too simple", even though it's very straightforward.

Complex, partly illogical, varied things that 90% of the people wouldn't comprehend straight away are pieces of cake for me.

This makes me feel both very stupid sometimes, but also very smart.

That said, I'm one that learns not just from my own mistakes, but also from what others experience. I'm a very good listener (not so much a leader or do-er). This makes me very capable of creating ideas, schemes or plans out of thin air, which make absolute sense. However, I know an almost irrational lack of fear and I take risks, so I'm really depending on my plans to work.

I'm alive, so I suppose that that works out well for me.

My IQ was measured last year and it was around 130, so I suppose we can say I ain't a genius, but I'm definately above avarage.

I tend to get decent grades without actually learning stuff.
Ability to retain useless shit however does not mean I'm actually a smart person. I am a useless sack of potatoes in a tense situation or even if just mere fast thinking is required. Or thinking outside the box. Or coming up with new ideas. Intelligence has many sides, most of which I am absolutely awful at.
And what's up with all these smart people? Average is average for a reason. Are they seriously this fucking confident in their own superiority? (yay, wikipedia tells me useful shit!)

So, almost 70% of responses for above-average intelligence (either slightly above average or genius level), which is pretty strange if we assume a normal distribution for intelligence. Either selection bias or a lot of people here think too highly of themselves :)

tautologico:
So, almost 70% of responses for above-average intelligence (either slightly above average or genius level), which is pretty strange if we assume a normal distribution for intelligence. Either selection bias or a lot of people here think too highly of themselves :)

I sure do hate these polls, as well as the people who think they're higher than average. if 90% ARE above average, they would just make the new average. so yeah, nothing won in this one.
that's why I go with average anyways, because breaking the average is pretty much impossible.
also for the standard (actually logical) reasons:
I have bad grades, bad self-esteem, but normally outwit even the best in class when it comes to some form of direct competition,
but otherwise make way too many mistakes to ever get anywhere.
So yeah, that results in average at best.

Actually, I can't really tell, I might as well be some random stupid guy with insane amounts of luck. doesn't sound too bad, either way.

Below average. Although I often have cause to think that I'm the only guy in the room who was taught anything about critical thinking.

Oh look, more people mixing up average and median. Interesting how even people who are fairly skilled mathematically do that.

Allow me to explain with a simple example: 0, 1, and 1. The average of these numbers is (hopefully) obviously 0.66. A majority of the numbers are above this average. This scales as far as you want it to. As long as the lower elements are sufficiently low, an arbitrarily large proportion of the population can be 'above average'.

Oh, and if anyone cares, I ranked myself as 'average'.

EDIT: Of course, in practice this is unlikely, since intelligence is distributed roughly normally.

Blood Brain Barrier:

Tanner The Monotone:
Though if people would look at how easily I can remember things and my puzzle solving skills, they would see how smart I really am.

People with good memories are often poor thinkers. Relying on your memory for everything means you exercise your reasoning less often.

Puzzle solving skills.......I said that I'm good at using reason.

I'm supposed to be a genius, however, I have the attention span of a goldfish and absolutely no motivation. So I'm not sure where that leaves me overall.

I only consider myself above average, because every one of my peer at my secondary school almost reveres as some sort of genius; so since I don't have anyone who is of a similar intelligence to mine to compare my cognitive abilities to(besides, my other, smarter friends, but since I don't go to the same school with them anymore, I cannot compare myself with them thoroughly to decide whether or not I'm average or not; after all, my brain switches off during the holidays somewhat, and casual behavior isn't a sure fire indicator of one's intelligence).

But, measuring myself against my fellow escapists, I would say average; also, both my brother and my mother think that I'm an idiot just because I'm not as able as they are in home economics.

It's hard to judge your own intelligence, there's always a certain level of bias because by our nature we think of ourselves as mostly right.

Going off of test results and I.Q. tests, I'm certainly not bellow average. But honestly, neither those of are an accurate way of measuring intelligence. So... fuck knows.

IQ: 125 with the average usually being 100.

So, not technically genius (I'm still outshined by the people in my class who actually pay attention), but I'm alright.

SillyBear:

Please quote the part where I said intelligence is one dimensional.

Refer to your previous two post.

SillyBear:

Barring severe physical deformities, anyone can learn to dance or play a sport if they invest enough effort into it.

Learning something and being good at it are two different things.

SillyBear:

Same is true for half of the other shit you listed.

No, it's not.

SillyBear:

No I'm not. All I'm saying is that retaining information is a form of intelligence. I never even half implied that it is only kind. Come on - you're a genius, you should know this. Clearly your "emotional intelligence" isn't quite up to scratch here.

I never said data retention isn't a form of intelligence. I said it is a low level cognitive skill that everyone is capable of and not and indicator of exceptional intellect.

Emotional intelligence can't be applied through a computer medium. Although, I can tell that you're very angry and taking the fact that you're awkward and socially inept personally. Also, that my diminishment of data retention makes you feel inadequate since it is something you've correlated your intelligence to.

SillyBear:

You came out guns blazing saying that retaining information isn't a form of intelligence. I'm saying it certainly is.

I never stated that. You did. I'll state it again maybe you'll be able to comprehend it this time.

Data retention is a low level cognitive skill. It is not an indicator of exceptional intellect

Why does that bother you so much? Are you an idiot that's only good at regurgitating data on obscure topics? Do you believe that accumulation of data equals accumulation of intellect? If you do. You are an idiot.

MelasZepheos:

Vault101:
really? no friggen Idea, I don't think so really.....

everyone thinks they are smarter than what they really are and its an incredibly hard thing to measure...

an IQ test isnt everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Normal folk and stupid folk rate themselves as smarter, smart folk rate themselves as lower.

So basically, reverse those results entirely to find the actual results.

I love debunking these "just world" "modesty" parrots.

http://www.talyarkoni.org/blog/2010/07/07/what-the-dunning-kruger-effect-is-and-isnt/

Since it was asked: I went by a Mensa IQ-test. If that helps.
Also, am I the only one to notice, that, theoretically, since numbers are virtually infinite and we will need to keep naming them, one day "potato" will not only be a number but one that is of such magnitude that counting to it will be a very impressive achievement?
And being able to figure out such a high number all on your own and then count to it is quite a feat of the brain.
Just putting that out there...

I've taken four different tests since I was 13 and up until now. My lowest score was 143 (my first test) and my highest was 151. This concentration of the wide range of samples makes me suspect they are accurate. My strongest categories are spatial ability, language and memory, in that order, while I am completely average or maybe even stupid when it comes to math. One of the tests had a different scale system (ranked people from 1 to 10) which was the one I took when I applied for the air force, on which I scored a 10.

Since you lack the poll option "vastly above average," I checked "genius!" though it makes my stomach turn over to do so. Hope you are proud of yourself.

Keep in mind though, that there is no such thing as a perfect brain, a complete genius. Everyone has one, several or many flaws, but everyone has at least one area they excel in. Neither is IQ the complete picture of intelligence, wisdom and SQ (social quotient) also factor in. As well as every person's dominant brain half. For example, I am a 100% creative brain individual, if I fail to stimulate my creative needs through art, music, creation of things for others to enjoy, I wither inside. This makes it hard for me to find my place in a society built for the passive worker, where people are expected to take jobs, any jobs, simply to get money. And the vast majority of those jobs kill me from the inside. Thus, even "geniuses" struggle, and many scientifically "stupid" people can enjoy greater success and have a better life. This is all hypothetical, I just feel the need to point out how insignificant this topic really is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked