3.6% (39)
Well below average
1.8% (20)
1.8% (20)
I can count to potato!
6.2% (68)
6.2% (68)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Hero in a half shell:
How smart do you think you are in relation to the rest of your country; Below average, average or above average, and what proof would you have to back that up?
It'll be interesting to see what results we get from the Escapist.

We don't neet to guess that. We have the IQ for it. If you don't really know what it is:
The IQ of 100 always represents the average intelligence of the country you live in. So if you have a iq of above 100, your above average.

Metalhandkerchief:
I've taken four different tests since I was 13 and up until now. My lowest score was 143 (my first test) and my highest was 151. This concentration of the wide range of samples makes me suspect they are accurate. My strongest categories are spatial ability, language and memory, in that order, while I am completely average or maybe even stupid when it comes to math. One of the tests had a different scale system (ranked people from 1 to 10) which was the one I took when I applied for the air force, on which I scored a 10.

Since you lack the poll option "vastly above average," I checked "genius!" though it makes my stomach turn over to do so. Hope you are proud of yourself.

Keep in mind though, that there is no such thing as a perfect brain, a complete genius. Everyone has one, several or many flaws, but everyone has at least one area they excel in. Neither is IQ the complete picture of intelligence, wisdom and SQ (social quotient) also factor in. As well as every person's dominant brain half. For example, I am a 100% creative brain individual, if I fail to stimulate my creative needs through art, music, creation of things for others to enjoy, I wither inside. This makes it hard for me to find my place in a society built for the passive worker, where people are expected to take jobs, any jobs, simply to get money. And the vast majority of those jobs kill me from the inside. Thus, even "geniuses" struggle, and many scientifically "stupid" people can enjoy greater success and have a better life. This is all hypothetical, I just feel the need to point out how insignificant this topic really is.

I made a lengthy edit to my post and while I did so, the pages turned over.

MelasZepheos:

Vault101:
really? no friggen Idea, I don't think so really.....

everyone thinks they are smarter than what they really are and its an incredibly hard thing to measure...

an IQ test isnt everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

Normal folk and stupid folk rate themselves as smarter, smart folk rate themselves as lower.

So basically, reverse those results entirely to find the actual results.

hahaha...thats funny

I would liek to think that I'm totally smnart because of my modesty but I used to think I was smarter than I was so thats not the case

Just average. I'm nothing special but I like to think I'm not too stupid either. The majority of people will obviously consider themselves to be of above average intelligence.

Zhukov:
I'm intelligent enough to know that I'm not particularly intelligent.

Also, fun fact: most people believe they are slightly above average. Which of course cannot possibly be true considering the definition of average.

In fact it can. Example: there are 7 people with an IQ of 100 and 3 people with an IQ of 70. The average IQ is then 91. 7/10 people have an above average intelligence.

What is true though is that more than half the people think they belong to the most intelligent (and hard-working &c.) half of the population. Because then we're talking about a median intelligence it really isn't possible for this to be true by definition.
Depending on the type of job, about 60-99% of all people rate classify themselves as belonging to the most intelligent, creative and hard-working half of the company. The 60% is typically true for mechanics and people performing menial tasks such as simple factory work. Almost 100% of bankers rate themselves amongst the most intelligent half. Teachers also rate themselves very highly.

As for IQ tests: they're actually a terrible way to measure intelligence. One problem is that different IQ tests test different things: some tests also rate things like memory and sense of directions, others don't. The value of testing these things is dubious in and of itself: like they show a clip of a fedex guy delivering a package and then afterwards the question is "what colour were the flowers". In that case you're basically testing whether people suck at focussing on what's important. Getting it right should subtract points rather than improve the score. Memory is not really a measure of intelligence anyway: very dumb people and some animals have a very good memory but that doesn't make them intelligent. Which brings us to the point that "intelligence" is bloody difficult to define. Does it include creative skills? Memory? Grammar? Vocabulary?
In most cases "intelligence" is defined as problem solving skills, which seems to be the most straightforward option. IQ tests are terrible at testing this. They test many things beside problem solving skills and even those questions which should test problem solving skills actually don't do so consistently.
People attribute much value to IQ tests but it should be obvious that it doesn't work: one can train to get high scores. Practising these tests can improve one's score tremendously without an accompanying change in intelligence. Even moderately intelligent people can train to score extremely well on these things. Many of the "problem solving" questions rely heavily on skills that are arbitrary and taught to us. For instance, if you see a question like "1, 2, 4, 8..." the answer does not have to be "16". We're trained to think like that because we've seen those kind of questions before but in most cases there are other possible patterns. Besides, if someone would not have seen such a question before he would probably struggle with them no matter how intelligent he is.

And I think we all know the people who claim they're highly intelligent but never achieve anything. In fact, from my experience it is the people who loudly claim they're very intelligent who always fail. What matters is what you do with what you have. As to that, I'm quite happy at the moment. I am amongst the highest scoring students at my department without spending too much effort on it. I like what I do. I know that by almost any measure (IQ, grades) I'm more intelligent than average but it simply doesn't matter.

Logic would dictate that I am average(And most likely many more than most here are willing to admit, I am guessing). I may perceive myself to be smarter due to personal narrative, but in my adult years I've come to meet many folks more intelligent than I, and quite a few dumber than I. You can call it whatever kind of average you want, but that is average to me. General intelligence is more than a bit subjective, anyway.

Besides, who the fuck wants to be a special snowflake like everybody else? Growing up is realizing that you are just like everybody else, but able to reconcile your identity to yourself enough that it doesn't matter anyway.

Vault101:

MelasZepheos:

Vault101:

everyone thinks they are smarter than what they really are and its an incredibly hard thing to measure...

Normal folk and stupid folk rate themselves as smarter, smart folk rate themselves as lower.

hahaha...thats funny

I would liek to think that I'm totally smnart because of my modesty but I used to think I was smarter than I was so thats not the case

Used to think you were smarter than you were might well be the definition of intelligence. Ie, as you start getting more intelligent you start to realise just how little you actually know and thus rate yourself as less intelligent .

Stupid people never realise that there is so much they don't know (or they don't care) and consider themselves to be more intelligent because they've got it sorted out.

I genuinely once knew a (very religious) man who considered himself to be smarter than all scientists because 'they don't know anything about how the universe works, whereas I know that it's as the result of God.' This was a man who left high school at 16, and not because he had other prospects. Yeah.

I got an IQ of 6000, but lately I got a bit peculiar in the head so who knows what is true anymore?

MelasZepheos:

Vault101:

MelasZepheos:

hahaha...thats funny

Used to think you were smarter than you were might well be the definition of intelligence. Ie, as you start getting more intelligent you start to realise just how little you actually know and thus rate yourself as less intelligent .

Stupid people never realise that there is so much they don't know (or they don't care) and consider themselves to be more intelligent because they've got it sorted out.

I genuinely once knew a (very religious) man who considered himself to be smarter than all scientists because 'they don't know anything about how the universe works, whereas I know that it's as the result of God.' This was a man who left high school at 16, and not because he had other prospects. Yeah.

I agree with the Dunning-Kruger effect, I've seen it in action in daily life but I don't think you can apply it to everything.

I got A*AA in my A levels which is pretty decent. I think that gives me the right to say that I'm at least reasonably intelligent without it being 180'd on me.

Going by the sort of stuff that IQ is scored on:

I would say that I am great at concepts, estimations and other intuitive methods. I have a good ability to think laterally and hold multiple factors in mind when doing so. I am also good at spotting patterns.

I am poor at following instruction and fall short when forced to deal with exacts. I am possibly dislexic in regards to numbers (my minds accumulates slowly).

As an example taken from my university assessment: I am scoring distinctions in programming and theory, but barely scoring a passing grade for methodolgy and academic skills.

I wouldn't think that makes me smart/dumb, just stronger in some areas than others.

Djinn8:
Going by the sort of stuff that IQ is scored on:

I would say that I am great at concepts, estimations and other intuitive methods. I have a good ability to think laterally and hold multiple factors in mind when doing so. I am also good at spotting patterns.

I am poor at following instruction and fall short when forced to deal with exacts. I am possibly dislexic in regards to numbers (my minds acumulator is slow).

As an example taken from my university assessment: I am scoring distinctions in programming and theory, but barely scoring a passing grade for methodolgy and academic skills.

I wouldn't think that makes me smart/dumb, just stronger in some areas more than others.

Kinda what I wanted to say.

I myself started out as a smart high school guy (IQ 152) only to find out I'm not cut out for college. Rather work with my hands; IQ test covers a very limited view of intelligence imo.

Average probably. I may get good grades but only because I work really hard for them. I am incapable of deep thought and can't seem to speak well or write well as if my life depended on it.

MelasZepheos:

Vault101:

Hehe. This says amusingly much about a lot of people here.

It's a bit of an interesting position for my case. I know full well that I'm of above average intelligence (backing that up in a minute), but at the same time I don't want to overstate how much that is; the fact of the matter is that I also know that I still have a lot more to learn and that there's plenty that I don't know.

As for the details, I have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering (not the most difficult of the displines to be sure, but any degree in engineering is respectable) with a specialization in structural engineering. I'm also registered as an EIT (still have to do the years of experience before professional liscensure, but I'm on the right track), which does go hand-in-hand with the degree in Canada (they're accredited, the programs are held to a standard so that all those who graduate from it are qualified to become an EIT); the States has the FE ("Fundamentals of Engineering") exam for that, though I'm planning to take that in a couple months so that I could get a professional liscence if I ever end up going south of the border.

So yes, I can safely say that I'm of above average intelligence. However, my education (and the experience I'm currently in the middle of acquiring) has shown me that there's more that I don't know than what I do. Part of being a (future) professional isn't just knowing what you know very well, but also knowing where your knowledge and experience lacking; if anything, the latter is the more important part. Competence is a vital aspect, and it's wise to err on the side of caution in many cases; it's quite probable that you're more likely to hear an expert admit that he doesn't know something than the average person, but the expert is still in a better position to find out the answer.

Just as I predicted, most people voted above average. You know because everyone thinks their better at stuff than they actually are.

I'm in America and I can actually list off the senators of my state as well a our current president. That right there puts me above most people from California...

I'm above average because of how I think rather than basing it on others around me. I'm just naturally curious and I seek out knowledge and skills on a whim. I also tend to retain a lot of the knowledge that I acquire.

I'm also slightly above average.

The type of person who can cram the day before a test and do surprisingly well. Math is my worst subject but I've always been able to pass.

Also, I'm an underachiever. Not sure if that goes hand in hand with your smarts but perhaps I could cultivate my brain more if I cared enough to do so. And I just don't care enough.

Don't take notes in class. Still been able to do pretty well.

Eclpsedragon:
Average,
because I'm not cocky enough to think I'm smarter than everyone else.
Even if I were to claim I was slightly smarter,
I'd inevitably end up doing something stupid and disproving that claim.

Pretty much this.

I'd like to think I'm not stupid. But I also try not to act like I'm smarter than other people.

It's somewhat amusing how many people consider themselves "slightly above average" according to the poll. Does it mean that those who think they are above average are becoming the norm, making them the new average, or does it mean that all average-or-below people don't hang on The Escapist?

Food for thought...

C117:
It's somewhat amusing how many people consider themselves "slightly above average" according to the poll. Does it mean that those who think they are above average are becoming the norm, making them the new average, or does it mean that all average-or-below people don't hang on The Escapist?

Food for thought...

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of the average-or-below gaming community is on 360 right now yelling profanities and racial slurs at other players.

bl4ckh4wk64:

C117:

Food for thought...

I'm willing to bet that a large portion of the average-or-below gaming community is on 360 right now yelling profanities and racial slurs at other players.

I know a man who is a bonafide quantum physicist and he does that.

I got a masters, and during those four years I never ended up in hospital, A&E or prison, so I must be doing all right. Although is that second part wisdom? My constitution is pretty dismal, as is my charisma. I could probably do with a retconn and a reroll to be honest, I wanted to be a tank.

If I get this PhD place I'll be claiming genius for about 6 hours, then end up in prison hospital or something stupid like that.

Stasisesque:

bl4ckh4wk64:

C117:

Food for thought...

I know a man who is a bonafide quantum physicist and he does that.

I think it's a thing about quantum physics that makes you want to hurl abuse at absolutely anything. I'm currently referred to by a fair few Leeds Uni students as "The guy who stands in Quantum shouting at the whiteboard". I'm hoping biophysics is more mellowing, it's really difficult to punch a protein.

I'm always really modest (honest!) and I don't like to big myself up, but I guess I'm just going to turn it off and be objective for a sec :p

I don't really like calling myself a genius but I'd say I'm higher than "slightly above average", so I guess I'll have to.

I got A*A*A*A* in my A levels and in a few weeks I'm off to start studying Physical sciences at Cambridge, but I am looking for an academic career. That said I know nothing about the world around me other than maths and science, so I can appear to be quite the idiot a lot of the time.

Well well... look at all the geniuses here. Is there a Mensa convention in Escapist town?

Zachary Amaranth:

IndomitableSam:
This could get controversial, and (edit: most) everyone will say they're above average or better.

Most people tend to evaluate their abilities as above average, oblivious to their own flaws.

Which is weird to say, since I voted "genius" and therefore sound like I'm invoking it myself. But I have a string of IQ tests that put me at genius level, so even if I take IQ tests with a grain of salt, I do believe it is SOME indicator.

Not really. I got a 143 on my IQ test during school, but IQ tests are only useful in projecting how well kids will do in school and whether they will need help. "Intelligence" is such a vague term, anyway. Our IQ tests would differ wildly from some cultures' tests because the emphasis on what is important to know is different.
OP: I firmly believe that I am average.

I wouldn't consider myself a genius (because I'm not) but "slightly above average" isn't right either. I'd consider myself in the top 20% or maybe 10% of society in terms of intelligence. I'm starting a degree in chemistry in September and I got ABB in my A-levels (I did the three main sciences, which are amongst the hardest of A-level courses (apart from maybe Further Maths)). There should be a "well above average" option put in there.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic or arrogant, but I just see so many moronic people where I live that it makes me think the average isn't all that high. I guess it probably is my area though, we were voted one of the worst places to live in Great Britain.

C117:

Food for thought...

I think that these forums don't attract a lot of stupid people. It's very rare that I find people on here using "r" and "u" instead of "are" and "you", whereas it's pretty much the norm in the comments section of most youtube videos. I know that's not a measure of intelligence, but it just seems that the majority of people here can string together coherent arguments and educated discussions, which actually puts them above average in my eyes.

IQ-wise; pretty average. Scored 110 (though while i was quite tired). If you count grades, I'll score quite above average.

I remember there was a thread on the escapist where people posted their Iq scores and nearly every other post was 140+. it was just daft. A huge amount of people online consider themselves well above average (usually insisting that they tested genius as a child or some story involving mensa) but if only they could actually work, weren't so lazy, easily distracted etc...
I used to do this exact thing but I changed over the last year. last year was my exam year and instead of continuing to dick about, not show up and not work which would give me "above average results" which i could flaunt saying and i didn't even try. It would get me a half decent computer science course somewhere and i would continue to drift along. Instead about the middle of the school year i started working, studying and such, i got top marks in maths, applied maths, physics and history which are widely regarded as some of the most difficult subjects. Overall my results were in the top 1000 of the country at least (56 thousand took the exam)and later this month I'm starting mathematical science at a good uni.
What I'm getting at is people love saying that they're smart but they don't try. It means they can still think of themselves as better than everyone around them and they never have to work for it or get together any proof. I think that many of them are afraid that if they do try they won't turn out to be as smart as they think they are.

Daystar Clarion:
I consider myself bright, but I don't know if I'd consider myself above average.

I mean, I was a terrible student, my grades were awful, but that's mostly because I struggle to focus on things that simply don't interest me.

I know that feel, bro. Though according to you, I have your 17 year old self outclassed! :D

I was given an IQ test that came back 112, so if I were to take that at face value, I guess I'd be slightly above average.

I'll rate myself as above average... genius in certain aspects, sure... But above average is where I'll sit...

I out-intellect most people in my class at university... So, if that's credit to my name I'll stick with it...

Above average, because I've always done very well on IQ tests and good grades have come easily to me. Basically, B's when I half-assed a class, A's when I actually cared.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Not really. I got a 143 on my IQ test during school, but IQ tests are only useful in projecting how well kids will do in school and whether they will need help.

LOL. Yeah, that's completely out of touch with things. Sorry.

If you want to criticise IQ tests, there are many points, but just testing how well you will do in school...No, just no.

And on that note, I had terrible grades and genius level tests. Personal anecdotes do not mean evidence, but I certainly feel like pointing out the personal reason I laugh.

I like to think that intelligence is mixture of natural ability and, more importantly, the proactive application of said natural ability in one's life. I'd say I'm average, as I consider myself reasonably smart in the grades/IQ sense but lack the will to build upon said smarts towards any meaningful end.

God I love being a lazy waste of space.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked