3.6% (39)
Well below average
1.8% (20)
1.8% (20)
I can count to potato!
6.2% (68)
6.2% (68)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Rate your Intelligence! (UPDATED: NOW WITH I.Q. TEST TO PROVE YOUR BRAVDO!)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Most likely average, though based on the interactions I have with members of the general public, I went for slightly above average.

I don't believe school exams are an accurate measure of a person's intelligence. For example- I failed my English exam, while my brother passed in a class two levels higher than mine. I recently had to explain to him how to operate a cheese slicer that has no moving parts. Point being there are different kinds of intelligence. Scientists have also proven that your intelligence can vary greatly over the course of a single day, and is affected by many environmental factors well beyond your control.

IQ scores are sorta worthless in determining how smart someone is.

I picked slightly above average as I tend to have a better grasp at some topics and ideas than a lot of folks who have more education than me. But it is in practical problem solving and troubleshooting that I really excel. Where some people will try the same thing over and over and get the same predictable result, I find that I will think from several different angles and find a solution. Not always the best solution but one that gets it working again.

I have also found that I can think and react very quickly in the rare crisis that I have found myself in. My mind doesn't freeze up, it goes into overdrive and lays out options and risks. An example would be when I was driving on a dark night and did not see a pedestrian in a ( darkly dressed in a poorly lit crosswalk) until I was almost on her. I immediately knew that trying to stop would have killed her so I avoided her instead. I had maybe a half second to react at most. It almost seemed like time slowed down during that half second.

For the love of god don't put advanced mathematics in front of me though. My brain WILL freeze up at that.

Eh, I'd say average. I seem to appear a bit smarter every now and again because I have a bit more interest in arty farty shit than a lot of people I know (I watch a lot of history, nature and science documentaries, my music taste has gone all pretentious), but then again my grades were exceedingly average and every now and again I do things that are really dumb. One of my friends was surprised when I told him my A level results because he seemed to think I was an A* student, even though I've never had an A* in anything, ever. My school was insistent that I've been a massive underachiever because in year 7 my CAT test (can't remember what it stands for, cognitive ability or some such crap) score was really high. That always made me wonder if there was something wrong with me to be honest.

I wouldn't say I was smarter than most people, I just like finding stuff out, provided I'm interested. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to be really clever.

It's always fun to look at graphs where people rate their own intelligence. The majority always rates himself above average. The population of the Escapist might be a bit above average in general (not entirely convinced though), but these poll results again are very funny. I'll just rate myself as grade A stupid to balance things out. ^^

I love it when people go by results of IQ tests (which test nothing but the ability to do IQ tests), often from years ago, and think they're a valid assessment. Hell, smoking a lot of pot during puberty can drop your IQ by 8 points by the time you reach 30. IQ is a silly scoring method.

i'll say slightly above average, i'm one of those people that are kinda smart but lazy as fuck so i don't get good grades because i don't study... too much gaming

I hate judging myself and I hate the mentality I've seen at my school for 6 years where everyone has a superiority complex because they've been made to feel like their grades are everything, so I won't answer the poll.
Academically, I'm pretty intelligent. Just got 4 As and 1 B in my AS Levels. But in other ways, I might not be so intelligent. I'd like to think I have a certain level of common sense and can look at real life problems practically, but I have no idea how intelligent I am regarding that.

kickassfrog:
Top of my year for all my A-levels, so academic wise I'm probably pretty good.
The only problem I have is working in retail, the average person can sometimes come across as lacking in any though processes whatsoever.

So I'm torn between genius and slightly above average.
If I had to guess, I'd say about IQ of perhaps 130-ish.

As an amusing little aside, I once got a 239 on an IQ test just to mess with one of my friends.

130 is not 'slightly above average.' That's two standard deviations from the average, which would put you at a single IQ point below Mensa. 115 would be significantly above average.

Angry Juju:

When you see the % of people with aspergers, then look at the number of people on those threads who claim they have it. You know that they look at 1 or 2 of the effects on wikipedia and diagnose themselves with it. Especially considering how not all of the effects are necessarily negative.

Also, if you think that common sense makes you "WTF YOU'RE SO SMAT" then obviously you can tick the 'slightly below average' box. If you look at what I said and think "It's something I lack but wish I had" then you should tick the 'above average' box. I never said that common sense was a gauge of intelligence, I said I have common sense.

And finally, look at some of the posts on this thread. There are a bunch of people who think getting straight As in their exams make them a genius. In my A level history I managed to get an A, but then I literally got that A for learning the bare minimum in class, not studying at all and then writing the exam to the proper structure.

My point was that the sampling of people in those threads who said they have Aspergers is in no way reflective of what percent of Escapists think they have Aspergers. I SPECIFICALLY said "Whether they're lying or not" because the people who claim it in those threads have a reason to claim it (even if it's only to forward a point). A large percent of people claiming to have Aspergers in a thread about Aspergers does not correlate to an anonymous poll about intelligence (or an anonymous poll about Aspergers for that matter). I couldn't care less whether it's obvious they're lying or not, because it was a bad example in the first place.

What's more, a few posts with people who think "woot straight A's, I'm a genius" doesn't instantly invalidate my point. Hell, if you manage to get straight A's you probably are more likely to be slightly above average in intelligence (which is what I suspect most people around here are). I know in my school you actually had to have critical thinking skills and exemplary work to get an A from most teachers (though I'm well aware that may not be the case for everyone). However, I'm basing my views on the demographic and the overall level of intelligence I've seen displayed on this site, not a few misinformed individuals.

As to your intellectual gauge, I'm sorry, I just assumed you meant something else as your actual point makes even less sense. The degree to which you find something impressive in no way accurately correlates to how smart you are. Especially when that thing is a very specific aspect of the overall thing you're trying to gauge. If someone has common sense, then they're naturally going to find it less impressive. They may not even be very smart, but since they possess common sense they may consider it an extremely unremarkable talent. By that logic, they might consider themselves geniuses when they clearly aren't. Similarly, a genius who mostly lacks "common sense" might consider it a notable gift, and thus might consider themselves about average by that logic. Furthermore, some people, regardless of intelligence, are more or less impressed by different things, which adds more variables. Still a pretty bad gauge.

I dunno really. I've never really fully applied my intelligence to anything. I get pretty good grades without really trying, so that COULD mean i'm above average but it could just mean I have above average memory. I'm good at math, if that means anything (which I doubt it does).

ThrobbingEgo:

kickassfrog:
The only problem I have is working in retail, the average person can sometimes come across as lacking in any though processes whatsoever.

As an amusing little aside, I once got a 239 on an IQ test just to mess with one of my friends.

130 is not 'slightly above average.' That's two standard deviations from the average, which would put you at a single IQ point below Mensa. 115 would be significantly above average.

between Genius and Slightly Above Average

I dunno. Probably average, could go either way?
Grades and stuff is usually pretty shitty, but I can generally hold my own in a proper discussion and don't have a "stupid" sense of humor, I guess.

I went for well below average, I have a posh british accent so most people just assume I have more natural intellect than I actually do. I have more in common with a rock than I do Einstein.

I'll get back to you after I talk to the 7-odd billion people in the world and see how I stack up.

axlryder:
-snip-

calm down, why are you so angry about nothing? okay, i'll try and sum things up in as few words as possible because I can't be bothered to address everything you wrote to explain what's wrong with it and how you completely miss points, make assumptions and repeat things, only to have you reply back with more angry text trying to explain to me why you think i'm wrong.

This thread isn't anonymous. As soon as someone makes a comment saying what they chose on the poll, it ceases to remain anonymous.

There are 8 pages in this thread, read through before telling me i'm blowing things out of proportion.

Try and find the meaning behind a post and what I was saying before repeating something which is already understood.

Potato? Pfft.

I can count to Bacon, beat that Escapists!

I'm average a lot of people call me smart but I'm not... I just work really hard at things.

Demon ID:
I went for well below average, I have a posh british accent so most people just assume I have more natural intellect than I actually do. I have more in common with a rock than I do Einstein.

was that pun intentional?

Rainforce:

Demon ID:

was that pun intentional?

Yes it was completely intentional maybe...

Well, I torture "myself" over my intelligence or lack of it. It's hard to answer. In some ways I can be genius, yet to balance it out I follow up any prodigious insight with extreme stupidity or laziness...

Yeah I'm cocky, I don't care.

I'd rather think I'm above ignorant and be wrong than think I'm average and be right.

Accepting the average never got anyone anywhere.

After growing up in a comprehensive school I thought I was a fucking genius. Then I went to Grammar school and now I think I'm just above average. I dread to think what I'm going to think after Uni.

I just came here from reading a Youtube comment section; I feel like a fucking genius after that.

But really, I don't know. I'd would consider myself fairly intelligent but I have a very convoluted mind that makes me reach conclusions at a slower pace than others yet often picks up insights many would miss.

So, I can count to potato.

IndomitableSam:
This could get controversial, and (edit: most) everyone will say they're above average or better.

Myself? As a child I tested in the genius range (whether that's still true today or not, I don't know, but I am incredibly lazy so I would say "technically yes, but really no because I don't challenge myself") and was put into advanced classes until funding ran out and I went back to normal class.

... Anyway, I went to university and college and am a librarian for a legislative library now. Before that (and it was my first job after graduating) I was hired at a prestigious private school, so I must have done something right.

Still not sure what it was, though, because I'm as lazy as they get.

Honestly, I never learned how to study until college. All through middle school, high school and university my grades were only average because I never sat down to study anything. I did my homework, but never spent any time prepping for tests or essays and such. I'm mad at myself for that because I could have done so much better when I was younger, but because I did well without trying, I never actually learned how to try. Until I went to library school and got serious, then I would sit and study for hours on end and got 4.0's. I was more proud of myself for studying than the grades.

So, yeah. I chose 'genius' because I technically was, but I never learned how to try or had to work hard, so I failed myself in many ways and didn't smarten up until my mid 20's. And I still have to really work hard to motivate myself. ... As I reply to this thread instead of tackling the "to-do" list I made myself here at work so I can check things off my list and feel like I've actually done something.

Pretty much this, but I never recieved any kind of special education because I live in Argentina, and they don't give a fuck about this here. That, and I ended up in film school. Still don't know how to "propperly study", I just read shit and it sticks. IQ of 157 as of 2008. You?
I'm kinda interested in your story now.

I'd consider myself well below average. I have trouble remembering the simplest things, I can barely even do simple maths, and I'm a complete failure at communication.

Angry Juju:

axlryder:
-snip-

calm down, why are you so angry about nothing? okay, i'll try and sum things up in as few words as possible because I can't be bothered to address everything you wrote to explain what's wrong with it and how you completely miss points, make assumptions and repeat things, only to have you reply back with more angry text trying to explain to me why you think i'm wrong.

This thread isn't anonymous. As soon as someone makes a comment saying what they chose on the poll, it ceases to remain anonymous.

There are 8 pages in this thread, read through before telling me i'm blowing things out of proportion.

Try and find the meaning behind a post and what I was saying before repeating something which is already understood.

Angry? You're being a bit foolishly presumptuous about another person's emotional state. (a single word in capitals for emphasis and honest assessments hardly denote anger). It sounds more like you want me to be angry or unsettled. Sorry to disappoint you, bro.

Also, your entire statement basically reads as "I made a bad point, so instead of actually writing a rebuttal, I'll just say you missed the point to cover for just how poorly thought out my statement actually is". Lame cop out. It looks even worse when you're clearly trying to cherry pick and come off as something of a hypocrite as the entire premise of most of your statements are based in assumptions. You've also clearly missed meaning behind certain points yourself. That or you just have no counterargument so you choose to ignore them.

The poll itself IS anonymous. People don't write their names next to the poll results. Yes, some of what's written in the thread may well reflect on or influence the poll's overall results (giving away a percentage of which votes can be attributed to who), but no one is ticking "above average" in hopes of impressing people (the key point of your initial post). They'd leave a comment to impress people. What's more, people are likely to weigh in immediately without reading. Misdiagnosis/assessment (which I agree people tend to do) or otherwise, you're likely going to get more candid (or at least kneejerk) responses from a poll than what you'll likely see in thread responses. Trying to use the comments as a gauge of the reasoning behind poll results is certainly an idea, but you're not going to see a direct correlation, which is what I took issue with. What's more, the comments themselves are all over the map in terms of content and justification for self-ratings. It doesn't really matter though as you've already shown how poorly formed your points are. First you said "people lie and want to make themselves feel/look good" and then you said "you know they just misdiagnosed themselves when they saw a couple of symptoms". Either you're moving the goalposts or your forgetting to add key details.

As to the thread itself, I've skimmed through, and you're blowing things way out of proportion. Very few are claiming genius status based purely on grades. A significant number of people (the majority of whom I don't believe claimed genius) are factoring grades in to some extent. Of course, again, that's not an entirely unreasonable thing to do (your own personal example being easily ignored based on it being a single course with a single teacher and me not knowing the level of your aptitude). You also haven't addressed my main points of demographic and 2 or so years of observation, so you've done basically no leg work here to prove me wrong on that front. Your attempt at an intelligence gauge is still terrible. Unless you're just extremely terrible at conveying ideas, it falls apart when put under the slightest practical scrutiny. My previous point stands.

You're probably a really nice guy and everything, but condescending dismissal does practically nothing to make you sound convincing. You really just come off as arrogant on top of being wrong.

Low.
I'm really just an astounding moron sometimes most of the time.

ITT: A psychologist's wet dream. Seriously, those results are damn near perfect.

Above I'd say. Tend not to like to rate my own, but after a while it can become a bit hard not to judge.

kickassfrog:

ThrobbingEgo:

kickassfrog:

between Genius and Slightly Above Average

130 is in no way slightly above average. There's nothing slightly about being that far above 115.

Edit: Eh, but you don't have any other other options in the poll. I get it. I was just thrown off by 'slightly above average' paired with an IQ of 130, which in any other situation would make me spit tea all over my laptop.

I don't know.

However, I do know that I'm smart enough to know that it's a dickish move to overestimate ones own intelligence.

Above average. I can name nearly every significant event in the four hundred years(I'm working my way down). As well as Roman history, I can recite Shakespeare, and many other playwrights. But why I'm not a genius is because I suck at sports, math, and physics. I'm good at chemistry though!

I've always noticed that the more a person thinks he is smart, the more ignorant he is.
Sure, he might know lots of stuff and be good at math, but that doesn't make him smart, it just means he has good memory.
A smart one once said, "I know one thing, that I know nothing".

Grades in school and A levels aren't based off intelligence, they are based off how well you can memorise the textbook in front of you and write it down onto paper.

Lumber Barber:
I've always noticed that the more a person thinks he is smart, the more ignorant he is.
Sure, he might know lots of stuff and be good at math, but that doesn't make him smart, it just means he has good memory.
A smart one once said, "I know one thing, that I know nothing".

That was either Socrates or someone paraphrasing him.

A large part of his philosophy was based off that idea. "It's not what you know, it's what you realize you don't know."

Wise words, imo.

Captcha: NASA describe this brand with any words. Wait, what? I wasn't aware NASA was a brand... o.O

-Slightly above average
-Genius!

Well, that escalated quickly

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked