A User's Guide to Creating Your Own Avatar

Pages 1 2 NEXT

User Guide to Creating Avatars

Approved by Nasrin, and credit goes to Claymorez for layout's design.

What is this?

Ever since I joined The Escapist, the Avatars on here fascinated me to no end. Each one despite it being just a stand still picture to a GIF always caught my attention. Around the time March Mayhem came out, talented Avatar artists requested support thus enrolled me to support them. My skills were alright, but practice and crafting Avatars over and over along with advise allowed me to advance to where I am today.

Now is the time to make all your lives easier by teaching you the steps to becoming an Avatar artist yourself! It's actually simple, the only challenge is what you want to do with your skills since with it- you can make almost anything!

For those of you who just want an Avatar requested to be made for them, check out the Avatar Store and post in the comments on what you'd like and provide us a source with the actual image or video you want the Avatar to be crafted from.

NOTE: If you have any questions, please do feel free to notify me. Thank you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Basic Information on Avatars:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Escapist allows users to use and wear Avatars whenever they post in threads, chat with one another in Groups, and basically represent who they are. All of you are smart enough to know that already, it's an introduction folks! Apart from that though, there are things you may or may not know and what limitations Avatars have.

Size Limitations: For Standard Users (Non Pub Members), max size is 85 x 85 (120 KB.)
................................ For Publisher's Club (Pub Members), max size is 115 x 115 (400 KB)

Types of Avatars: There's mainly two types of Avatars. The 'Still Picture' and the 'GIF'

Still Picture Avatars are Avatars that have no motion and pasted on there like an art piece. Take a picture of a bird and have that as an Avatar if you want, or simply get a picture shot of your favorite scene in a video game and have that as your Avatar.

GIFs are animated short clips that have a specific file that enables you to use it as an Avatar or for other uses. They range from a loop where something does one action and it continues or a scene with something happening and it cuts back to the beginning. GIFs are the type of Avatars that have the most KB memory too because it's way more then one picture, it consists frames. Frames are a picture going to the next picture within a GIF.

What does KB stand for?: KB stands for 'Kilobyte' and each Kilobyte is approximately 1,024 bytes. Don't worry though, each frame (still image) in a GIF only takes up 2 KB (2,000 bytes). However depending on the texture, colorization, and detail in the GIF can take up more then simply 2 KB. The common number of frames a GIF has before going over the limit is 30 to 35 frames. But now it can go farther thanks to the Tech Team, Pub Members get GIFs up to 400 KB.

Avatar Rules: Avatars you make or wear that are vulgar, racist, hateful, or contain advertisements or nudity is not acceptable on The Escapist so keep in mind to behave please and choose your Avatars wisely.

How To Make Avatars (Still Picture):

Step 1: Programs

Multiple people tend to rely on websites to craft their Avatars for them, but usually there's a lot of flaws plus limitations on what you can do with that crafted GIF. So don't use websites to make your Avatars, use a program to craft and alter Still Picture of GIFs. There are many programs out there but I recommend the following due to that I use them all the time:

- GIMP
    - Animation Shop 3

GIMP: The reason I linked the website within the name is because the creators of GIMP offer their program free to download and believe me.. it's highly useful. It's best for Still Pictures since you can alter, add, resize, crop, edit, and do so much with it.

Animation Shop 3: It's the best program I know in handling GIFs. Not only does it succeed in keeping the quality in check but also enables you to change the frame rate (speed a frame goes by), resize the GIF to your liking, add and alter frames, along with adding text to each or every frame you'd like.

Animation Shop 3 can be obtained through MediaFire, but would be appreciated more if you bought the program. It's cheap for only $19.99 at places like Best Buy or Target, basically any tech store you can find dealing with Windows Programs.

Step 2: Images on Google (For Still Picture Fans Mainly)

For those who just want a Still Picture, use Google. Go to the Image section on the top left and click it. Then type whatever you want to search for anything related to your liking.

- After, select a Still Picture from one of the Google results you find suits you the most.

- Then, go to it's primary source by clicking the 'Full-Size Image' button on the right until the image is by itself with a blank background.

- Once the image is by itself, proceed to right click the image with your mouse and go to the option 'Save Image As' until your Documents comes up. I recommend you save it under 'My Pictures' and ensure the file is changed to JPEG (.jpg) unless otherwise like having a Mac.

- When you saved the picture you wanted, go to your Desktop and select the GIMP program. I prefer to just select it off my desktop.

Step 3: Knowing GIMP

- Once you open GIMP, this is what you'll see. Also I shall explain what every tool does to help you understand how the program works whenever you feel like altering or editing a picture. (Note I won't explain every tool, just the important ones you'll want to know.)

image Rectangle Select Tool - Select a rectangle region.

image Ellipse Select Too - Select a circular region.

image Free Select Tool - Select a region hand-drawn anyway you like shape and form.

image Fuzzy Select Tool - Select a body or figure's region in one click.

image Paths Tool - Set a path like a straight line or curved one.

image Color Picker Tool - Select a color off the image.

image Zoom Tool - Zoom in and out of an image.

image Move Tool - Move layers, selections, and objects anywhere on image.

image Crop Tool - Can remove edges off an image or specific sections of a layer.

image Rotate Tool - Rotates the image or layer 90 degrees to 180 or more degrees.

Scale Tool - Scales the image along with making it wider or skinnier.
Sheer Tool - Tilts the image left or right, the more it turns the sharper the image's borders become.
Perspective Tool - Angle the image to appear from a view point, 3D looking to looking at it from above.
Flip Tool - Reserve the layer to appear facing left or right.

image Text Tool - Select text for your image.

image Bucket Fill Tool - Fills a region with color.

Pencil Tool - Hardedge drawing
Paintbrush Tool - Smooth drawing
Eraser Tool - Erase background to white or erase background into vector.

image Airbrush Tool - Spray painting
Ink Tool - Focus painting

Clone Tool - Copy an image's region or pattern onto the image
Healing Tool - Fix up copy tool's irregular patterns.
Perspective Clone Tool - Copy the image's source after using the perspective transformation.

Foreground and Background Tool - Black and white represent the colors, click the arrow to swap colors.

Step 4: Making a Still Picture into an Avatar

- Go to the top left corner of GIMP (the middle box, not the skinny box with the tools) and click on 'File' then search for the option 'Open'.

- Pick the image wherever you saved it under (best to keep it under 'My Pictures') and click 'Open'.

- Go to the 'Image' option above and then to 'Scale Image'.

- However you want to, ether resize the image to become smaller with it's natural dimensions or you can click the 'Clip' option so you can even out the image to be exactly 85 x 85 or 115 x 115.

- Here is the result. I suggest though that before resizing it, you should try to crop the sides or pick a certain region to focus on- despite our Avatars being quite big, making the entire image 115 x 115 will make it hard to see any of the characters. Best to just focus on someone or something.

- If you ever make a mistake or dislike what you've done to the image, there's a 'Undo' button in the 'Edit' Section above. It'll revert the image on whatever action you took and you can keep pressing that until ether the beginning or the past dozen steps.

- For those who want to add and get creative with images, it's important to know about Layers. To start off with a layer, first go to the 'File' section then look for 'Open Layer'.

-It'll go to your Documents and imagine it that you're opening a file just like you did for the Star Wars picture except instead of it opening up a separate piece, it'll fuse the image to your current one.

- Notice how on the righthand side you see the image, and the layer of the caramel frappe above it? You can rearrange the order so ether the image stands behind the frappe, or the frappe is in front of the image. You can do this with as many layers in one image as you'd like.

- To save your results once you're happy with your Avatar, go to 'File' and then scroll down to the 'Save' or 'Save As' and put a name for your nice creation.

- You've just made an Avatar! Congratulations! Still Pictures are fun, and can be used for other reasons besides making an Avatar like say making a Banner, making a meme- anything can be done with GIMP. Alright now to show you how to set it up as your Escapist Avatar.

Step 5: Setting Up the Avatar

- Go to your profile on The Escapist. On the right side will have options, look for the 'Change Avatar' option.

- From there, you'll see a 'Browse' button next to the blank bar. 'Browse' will open up your Documents and you may search for the Avatar you recently created. Remember, depending on your membership the website won't allow anything bigger then 85 x 85 for Non Pub, and 115 x 115 for Pub Members. Once you confirm the Avatar, the URL for that Avatar will show up in the blank bar. Finally, click the 'Upload' button and wait for the process to complete.

- Your Avatar won't show up at first, so post in a thread which usually does the trick to get the Avatar to show up. If it doesn't allow you to upload the Avatar, there may be a problem ranging from the size, the format it's in, or other sorts but those are rare cases.

How To Make Avatars (GIFs):

(Note: Step 1 is the same as the above post's Step 1)

Step 1: Programs

Multiple people tend to rely on websites to craft their Avatars for them, but usually there's a lot of flaws plus limitations on what you can do with that crafted GIF. So don't use websites to make your Avatars, use a program to craft and alter Still Picture of GIFs. There are many programs out there but I recommend the following due to that I use them all the time:

- GIMP
    - Animation Shop 3

GIMP: The reason I linked the website within the name is because the creators of GIMP offer their program free to download and believe me.. it's highly useful. It's best for Still Pictures since you can alter, add, resize, crop, edit, and do so much with it.

Animation Shop 3: It's the best program I know in handling GIFs. Not only does it succeed in keeping the quality in check but also enables you to change the frame rate (speed a frame goes by), resize the GIF to your liking, add and alter frames, along with adding text to each or every frame you'd like.

Animation Shop 3 can be obtained through MediaFire, but would be appreciated more if you bought the program. It's cheap for only $19.99 at places like Best Buy or Target, basically any tech store you can find dealing with Windows Programs.

Step 2: Videos on Youtube (For GIF Fans Mainly)

Making GIFs is a bit more complicated, but simple when you get around the bush. So with that said, the first thing you'll want to do is go to Youtube and search for the video you want a certain scene to become your Avatar. Be aware that the longer your Avatar goes for, the higher the KB rate will be thus may exceed over the limit.

- Once you've found the video you're looking, click it. From there, you'll need to follow specific instructions.
Make sure to allow the video to fully load or else it can mess up the process.

- Keep your youtube video up, and go to your Desktop.

- You'll need Animation Shop 3 (even if you have another animating program, these instructions apply directly with AS3). If you got it off Google or bought the program, go onto your Desktop and click the icon to open it.

Step 3: Knowing Animation Shop 3

- Opening up Animation Shop 3, you'll notice there isn't a lot to look at but believe me... everything is there and I will show you exactly how everything works (I will need to anyways, each tool is important for any GIF you make.)

image Arrow - To click things, drag frames in or out and set options with.

image Zoom - Look closer or farther back on the GIF (you can also scroll with your mouse to do the same thing)

image Registration Mark - Helps measure and acts like a platform to help you when editing GIFs.

image Crop - Enables you to remove edges off a frame or the whole GIF.

image Mover - Lets you move an image around within the frame.

image Dropper - Copy a color presented before you.

image Brush - Lets you hand draw things within a frame.

image Eraser - Lets you erase the background, transforming regions into a vector.

image Flood Fill - Fills in an entire region with the color you've selected.

image Text - Allows you to place text onto the frames.

image Line - Places a colored line onto the frame.

image Shape - Places a colored shape (square) onto the frame.

New - Opens up an empty GIF to work with.
Open - Loads up a GIF you've saved.
Save - Saves the GIF as a GIF
(Do note everything you save under Animation Shop 3, even a frame by itself will be converted to GIF format).

image Paste as New Animation - Whatever you have copied, it'll paste it onto the program displayed.

Past Before - Within the GIF, post a frame before the current one that's selected.
Past After - Within the GIF, post a frame after the current one that's selected.
Past Into - Within the GIF, post a frame into a frame that's currently selected.

image View Animation - Play the GIF that's selected, watch the animation.

image Undo and Redo - Undo your current action, redo the action you've recently undid.

image Foreground and Background - Select the color to paint with up front, or blend with the back.

Step 4: Making a GIF into an Avatar

((NOTE: There's an easier way now to screen shot the video without playing and pausing. Scroll down to the bottom of this post where you'll see 'Update' to find out how.))

- After looking at Animation Shop 3 or least opening the program up, go back to your selected youtube video. Now, this is where you may question this method but it's really benefited me along with keeping the quality at best and frame rate controlled. What you'll need to do is...

Play the video where the scene's at you want as an Avatar, but pause it as soon as it starts (as fast as you can), and when the video is paused.. Screenshot and repeat. In other words, every millisecond take a screenshot of the video by pausing, playing, pausing, ect. but only screenshot when the video is paused after every tiny fragment.

- For every screenshot taken, paste it in the Animation Shop 3's GIF frame after frame like the example below.

- To screenshot anything, regardless if you're playing a video or not, press ALT + Print Screen at the same time. It makes your computer take a picture of whatever is presented on screen thus you can paste it onto a program to edit/save/ect.

I've done it with nearly all my Avatars and this process takes perhaps 20 minutes tops, but it's very effective and helpful nether the less. Plus, you aren't limited. You can place as many frames as you like in, have it at it's biggest size possible- it's a successful strategy. Best of all you can do this with any youtube video.

- After getting the amount of frames and clips you want into it, use the 'Crop' tool to get rid of the website's borders around the frames.

- Once you've made the frames focus just on the video, play it and see how it performs. If you dislike it due to the speed being to slow/fast, it's skippy, or any other issues then there are tools that fix the problem.

- Each frame has a number below it. The F = frame number, the D = speed of frame. I have a total of 15 frames in my GIF thus it tells me so. The D notifies me that every 10 milliseconds a frame goes to the next frame.

- You can ether have an individual, multiple, or all the frames go by a certain speed. To do this, highlight the frames you want to be faster/slower and go to the 'Animation' option above and scroll until you see 'Frame Properties'. There you can set how long you want those frame(s) to last or fly by. 10 is the default speed all GIFs go by.

- If you wish to see how your GIF looks like after no matter what options or actions you've taken, go and click on the 'View Animation' Button on the top right.

- This is what will play out, the way i've done for it so far.

See the quality is perfectly in tact? How it flows so smoothly? Along with the size I want it to be and thus I can proceed to work with it? Perfect GIF example and any of you can do this by following my steps. If you're confused about the Screenshot tactic then please do notify me.

- Let's not forget the most important part in order to make this GIF an Avatar... resizing! Go to the 'Animation' option above and scroll down until you see 'Resize Animation'. Click on it. There you can set the size you want (though unlike GIMP, you can't set the size to match unless you crop the GIF to where it evens out.)

- Here's the difference between a cropped GIF to where it has an even dimension of 115 x 115 and one that I didn't bother cropping and just resized it from it's original dimensions.

- Assuming you want the 115 x 115 one, you will want to save. BUT WAIT! After you do that, check the KB size for that's also very important. If it extends over the limit, it won't work on The Escapist. To check, first you'll need to save it so go to the 'File' option above and scroll until you see 'Save As'. No matter what, always save it under the format GIF as you'll see in this example. Where you save it doesn't matter but a folder for animations always help.

- Since the Avatar is saved now onto your computer, go to your Documents and locate your Avatar- and right click on it. The very bottom of the options has a 'Properties' option. Click that. What I underlined is the actual size of the Avatar (KB memory wise). If you're a Pub Member, 100 KB is nothing close to 400 KB which is the limit for us to have.

This would be the end of the tutorial, but I have one more neat trick to show you- a trick on how I can alter and make my Avatars have these neat features. If you wish to make your GIF have a logo, or something going on within that isn't part of the video you contrasted it from, follow these simple steps.

Step 5: Altering and Editing GIFs (Optional)

- First, open another file. Doesn't have to be a GIF, usually a still image (especially a vector) would suffice.

- Resize, crop, do whatever to the other clip/still picture and drag it into a frame. A neat useful tactic is to copy the frappes, paste them over and over being lined up, have all the frappe frames highlighted and then drag them into the GIF so each frame has a frappe. You can ether drag them one at a time, a few, or all of them.

- When you do drag with multiple frames highlighted, always drag the first frame highlighted, as in the first one that is highlighted. You can drag them into any frame, but the ones you're dragging.. make sure it's the #1 frame.

You can overlap and drag as many vectors, pictures, and clips into a GIF as long as you know what it'll end up looking like. Taking your time and dragging one frame at a time into another to make it seem like it's part of the GIF rather then just pasted there really works out in the end.

Step 6: Setting Up the Avatar

- Go to your profile on The Escapist. On the right side will have options, look for the 'Change Avatar' option.

- From there, you'll see a 'Browse' button next to the blank bar. 'Browse' will open up your Documents and you may search for the Avatar you recently created. Remember, depending on your membership the website won't allow anything bigger then 85 x 85 for Non Pub, and 115 x 115 for Pub Members. Once you confirm the Avatar, the URL for that Avatar will show up in the blank bar. Finally, click the 'Upload' button and wait for the process to complete.

- Your Avatar won't show up at first, so post in a thread which usually does the trick to get the Avatar to show up. If it doesn't allow you to upload the Avatar, there may be a problem ranging from the size, the format it's in, or other sorts but those are rare cases.

Update

After some experimenting, I actually found a much more useful method then the "pause the video, screen shot, play only to pause a second after, repeat" method. This method is not only more reliable and easier for the person, but also gets every frame in rather then a few missed because the user wasn't fast enough.

Step 4: Making a GIF into an Avatar (The easier way)

- This is very similar to Step 4, except on how to obtain the screen shots. It's simple to follow, and will be more to your liking. First, find a video on youtube that you want as a GIF.

- Open up Animation Shop 3

- Now, instead of doing the method I mentioned earlier with pausing, screen shot, playing but to pause as quickly as you can... here's the easier way. Get to the time within the video you want to make as your GIF. Pause it, but do not play it. Instead, press the 'right hand' arrow key on your keyboard.

The video will play a frame for each time you press the arrow key, ether to go forward or go backward a frame.

Each frame that you stop on, simply press Alt + Print Screen to screen shot that frame. Then paste it within your Animation Shop 3, and repeat the process until you've got yourself a stable GIF to work with. You'll notice how the video only goes by 1 frame each time you press the arrow key. This is a much better method because you won't miss anything and you'll not feel pressured to pause it on time, because you can keep the video paused when doing this. After doing so, just scroll up to see my other steps and go off from there on how to make a GIF.

Alternative

If you're not a fan of screen shotting frames or have the time.. well, there's a program out there specifically for recording your screen and turning that into a GIF. Behold, the free program known as LICEcap

Click Here.

It's free, I use it all the time, and it saves me a ton of time when I need to make GIFs for people. So if you want to create your Avatar off a youtube video or any animation on screen, use this to record it and turn it into a GIF asap.

I would like to thank you myself for this constructive post (or series of posts). I do believe this is the first thread in which I actually will find quite useful in the future. You have my thanks.

Ooh I'm sure this will be useful.. :)

The how to make gifs one I will find most useful, then I won't need to keep pestering in the group with requests :D

I've always found that posting on an imaging sharing website (in my case, Facebook) and using the Image URL also works too

But on the store, you could have made all the other users dependent on you and rule with an iron fist!... Glad you didn't though! :D

And good job too!

This is where you have been all this time Frappe... making this awesome thread!

I've been meaning to add some temporary flavor to my avatar. Maybe I'll go ahead and try it now.

That was nice of you to make this thread.

Here is my guide.

PrtScn -> Open Paint -> CTRL+V -> Crop it -> Save -> Upload to the escapist -> Done

Damn I'm good :D

That was really comprehensive. Nice thread! I'd also like to add that if you have a GIF alrready but want to resize it (if it's too big when you upload it, the animation will be gone after the auto-resize), you can use this website (or others, similar to it) to resize it for you and keep the animation going. It's faster if you don't have GIMP or equivalent installed. And even if you do, it's still convenient.

Ehh, this avatar fits may name so I will likely keep it the whole time I am here. Good job though.

Glad to know about these programs. I will keep them in mind for some future avatar making.

Of course, my avatar should always look a bit like a sucker, regardless of what picture/character I actually use.

Or at least a little wonky. ;)

It was really nice of you to make this thread, it's really helpful and thorough, so thank you very much :)

Damn it, I've always wanted to learn how to make my own GIFs, but that part's not up yet! Well, I'll be sure to be back for that part.

Thanks a bunch! Now I don't have to bug you every time I want a new avatar :P

Damn this is really gonna come in handy, especially when you get around to the GIFs. Thanks Frap!:D

This thread should be stickied :D

Is there a way to report this specifically for Sticky purposes?

Also, do you pronounce the second "A" in caramel?

Dags90:
Is there a way to report this specifically for Sticky purposes?

Also, do you pronounce the second "A" in caramel?

You can PM Nasrin to request which would be cool but she specifically insisted that I just request Claymorez to put this in his thread The Escapist Community and Forums Codex & Index & Guides

Also I announce caramel as (Cara-mel)

I'll confess I just skimmed over it, as I have access to my more art-oriented older sister's Photoshop CS5 and am familiar with the timed slide animation process using that. Whether or not I put in the effort to craft myself another avatar remains to be seen, but I suppose I should give it a whirl now that you've mentioned it. There's plenty of time I could borrow from my Minecraft 360 edition.

Nonetheless, another excellent comprehensive guide for the community's use, something very few people are willing to do.
Stay awesome, Caramel.

1. Find jpeg of character you like
2. Copy and paste in Mustache with GIMP
3. ???
3. PROFIT!

Imthatguy:
3. ???
3. PROFIT!

Did you actually make that Avatar since you posted that? If so ... you win the internet lol XD

Caramel Frappe:

Imthatguy:
3. ???
3. PROFIT!

Did you actually make that Avatar since you posted that? If so ... you win the internet lol XD

Nah had it for awhile. Thinking of making a .gif with his guide however.

Unfortunately, I insist on having a picture of myself for my avatar because the photo I currently use is so damn sexy, so a .gif might ruin it.
/smugness

Seriously though. Damn good thread.

I always forget not everyone has photoshop and flash let alone knows how to use them properly XD

I need to get out more :P

if only I read this thread prior to making my first gif that I made my avatar here on the escapist. Could have saved so much time using these instructions rather than just cold searching "how to make a gif" via google, and playing around on gimp til I got it right. thanks caramel :]

TopazFusion:
Snip

Wow, must say you've really have something there. I appreciate you breaking that down for me so I can understand and attempt do use your strategy myself. I'll give it a go, see how it benefits me and if so- I will PM you or just reply to you here giving feedback on how a major success it was thanks to you.

So yeah Topaz you did me quite a favor here, an interesting yet effect route to take. Thank you :}

Okay, and I just favorite this thread!

Now I can at least TRY to do it...doubt I will due to laziness though. Heh...

Good guide though Caramel. ^_^

Excellent guide. Damned good job. /applaud.

Now if you want to put those skills to work and make me the ominously slowly glowing green modification of my avatar that I am simply too lazy to make myself (though in a combination of a painfully old photoshop CS and Macromedia flash combo) I totally wouldnt kick you in the teeth for it.

I kid, I kid... The kick in the teeth is the most sincere form of flattery, right? /sigh my therapist must be right.. I AM why we cant have nice things.

Nooo you told them the secret to making awesome avatars xD. Naw, I kid. This is an excellent guide to making avatars and I hope it'll help others as much as it helped me :).

The GIF tutorial was really good. Well explained and easy to follow, I'll be sure to try it out soon. I have a question and a suggestion though.

Suggestion: Wouldn't it be easier to take your screenshots from video editing software? With those you can usually go through the clip frame by frame, so there's no need to pause a clip over and over and just hope that you don't miss a frame. Also with Youtube I find that when I do try to pause for every frame that it interprets it as a double click and opens/closes full screen mode.

Question: Is there a way to make a fade transition in a GIF? Like at the end of a clip making it fade to black or a still image.

Scrustle:
Suggestion: Wouldn't it be easier to take your screenshots from video editing software? With those you can usually go through the clip frame by frame, so there's no need to pause a clip over and over and just hope that you don't miss a frame. Also with Youtube I find that when I do try to pause for every frame that it interprets it as a double click and opens/closes full screen mode.

Question: Is there a way to make a fade transition in a GIF? Like at the end of a clip making it fade to black or a still image.

Let me answer your question first- Yes. It's actually very simple to do, and I don't even need to do screenshots to show you how to do what you've requested. Simple make the last frame black (paint over it with the brush) then go to 'Effects' on the top and the first option within that called 'Insert Image Transition'.

From there, you will find an effect called 'Fade'. It'll even give you a preview of what it'll do and since the frame before the black one is present, it'll create frames fading into the black one. Does that answer your question, if not just hit me up again and I will be happy to help. Also for an still image, you can just open a still picture and just place it after the frame but make sure it's the same size or else it'll be uneven with the GIF.

:)

As for your suggestion, I have tried that. It's useful but it skips over certain frames when I want it to take in every shot I got, thus when you pause the video just do an immediate click. As soon as you press play, just press right after for a good pause. Don't double click at once, just let a frame go by within the very second and pause. As long as you can ensure it flows nicely, you don't have to get every frame intact.

Caramel Frappe:

snip

That's great, thanks.

Very nice! Although I use Photoshop for my gifs. Not complicated at all, although you're limited to what you can do.

FINALLY!

Here I was thinking, man there should be a gif tutorial on here. Someone should make it. I know! It should be Ryan. Dead Space defiler that he is.

Many thanks for this. Finally people will know the wisdom of the Frappe Lover.

I never got GIMP. I just can't use it.

I recommend Ulead Gif Animator 5. It's completely free and has optimisation and frame removal functions for reducing the size or changing the speed of your avatar gif without compromising quality.

Photoshop Elements is really handy too if you want to do advanced frame work but it also cost monies!

Nice guide I'll keep it in mind if I ever want to change my avatar but the spinny L GIF I made will do for now, I can watch him spin and eat all day :D

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked