Doctor Who: The Power of Three. What are your thoughts? (SPOILERS)

What did you think of this weeks episode?

Personally, I've enjoyed the season thus far (Except, maybe... Asylum of the Daleks), and I thought this was another good one. However, I did feel that the actual conclusion to the problem was a bit rushed. The entire episode set up a pretty interesting enemy with the cubes, and then they're diminished in... about thirty seconds. I swear, you'd have missed the mass defibralation thing if you BLINKED. Not to mention, the way that the problem is solved so completely, kind of undercuts the menace they may have possessed. Finally, did anyone else feel that this should have been the set-up for the mid-season finale next week? Am I the only one who feels a bit of wasted potential here?

While I feel that, so far, this season has had only one stellar episode (A Town Called Mercy, in case you were wondering), this one was still really good, despite the issues I addressed earlier.

What this episode seems to have done is spotlight a villain capable of outsmarting the Doctor and nearly killed him on their first encounter. I have a feeling we'll see the Shakri later. The ship was basically being operated on autopilot after all. Beyond that, a couple implausible things, namely with the cubes and human physiology. I get the whole "global emp shortcircuits bodies" idea - it's been used before. but resuscitating all of them at once and they're completely fine? Not likely. This is Doctor Who though, not CSI, so I kinda glossed over that part.

algalon:
What this episode seems to have done is spotlight a villain capable of outsmarting the Doctor and nearly killed him on their first encounter. I have a feeling we'll see the Shakri later. The ship was basically being operated on autopilot after all. Beyond that, a couple implausible things, namely with the cubes and human physiology. I get the whole "global emp shortcircuits bodies" idea - it's been used before. but resuscitating all of them at once and they're completely fine? Not likely. This is Doctor Who though, not CSI, so I kinda glossed over that part.

CSI has way more fictional science than Doctor Who does.

I didn't particularly like the episode. As is typical of the Moffat era it starts of interesting with a great set up and then once you hit the "reveal" it becomes really stupid. Doesn't help that "the Ponds" are fantastically annoying now.

and Weeping Angels *again* for next week, ugh. They should have stayed a one off.

I liked it, it had the thrill of earlier seasons

Hmmm. This one kind of got away from me. I think I'll spoiler it for neatness.

I guess my opinion of this episode is basically "Good setup, crap payout, too much smarmy speeches about humanity and hope." Remember when Tennant made fun of this kind of speechifying by accidentally quoting "The Lion King"? That was awesome. So much better then "humany wumany".

Aaaand next week we've got River Song again. Fan-fucking-tastic. Followed by good old Jenna "River Song on Quirkiness Steroids" Louise-Coleman. I don't know about everyone else, but this show is really going downhill for me. Hopefully it'll pick up again after Smith regenerates.

I liked the episode for the most part, but the ending was awful, a maths joke, really? It wasn't even a good maths joke. Looking forward to the next episode, those statue's are awesome.

I think the best comparison is to mass effect 3.
It was pretty good up until the end, where it sucked arse.

The maths joke was Space Timmy, btw.

By Dr Who standards, it was terrible. There was a lot of build up, & then nothing really happened. It would've been a lot better if the cubes were reconnaissance for an alien invasion. And the closest thing we got to an actual monster was a benign hologram.
Thoroughly disappointed.

6th And Silver:

I guess my opinion of this episode is basically "Good setup, crap payout, too much smarmy speeches about humanity and hope."

This is sort of my feeling about the whole Steven Moffat tenure so far. He has some really brilliant ideas and sets them up quite well. But the payoff just always seems so...weak.

Plus I'm not really sure where they're going with Matt Smith's Doctor. I liked Eccelson's war-weary veteran. Even though he had his wacky "Doctor-equse" moments, he also exuded a slightly detached alien vibe.

Loved Tennant's "loney wandering God" Doctor. Yes, Russell T. tended to beat us over the head with the Christ metaphors, but it worked.

So is Number Eleven the wacky Nerd Rage Doctor? Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Matt Smith, who does a great job with what he's given. But again, it goes back to Moffat and the writers.

Oh and as a side note...I really hope they take out to Scooby Doo style horns in the opening theme music immediately if not sooner.

It drives me nucking futs!

But back to the original topic...I DID like how it focused on the effect the Doctor has on the Companions. I know that's been addressed a handful of times before, but this time The Doctor seems to be "getting it". There seems to be a slow realization that popping in and out of people lives can cause some chaos for them. I enjoyed the scene when Rory's dad asked him what happened to the other companions.

I'm pretty much the same as most here. Had an interesting, and rather odd setup that I quite liked. Then it got a bit... iffy, then PLOTHOLES AHOY, CAP'N!

I liked it. It was definitely good seeing things more from Amy and Rory's point of view rather than the Doctor's

It was really good all until the third act.

The building of suspense, or lack their of because the cubes are 'safe', as well as conveying the appeal of everyday life was done really well.

Also UNIT is back! Which is always good to reestablish them as canon. Also the shout out to the Brigadier was nice, if a little bitter sweet.

Having said that, who was the vilian?

The episode spent so little time with the real antagonists, not the cubes, that their motivations were unclear.

Even their name I have difficulty remembering it was so quickly resolved.

What would have been clever, although impossible to clear with top brass, would have been to have the cubes do nothing at all, or leave the resolution to a second episode.

As the name suggests, The Power of Three had much more effort and time dedicated to it compared to the monster of the week in this episode. This both hindered and helped it a lot and, surprisingly, kept Rory and Amy on as companions, rather than cutting the ties now on a high note.

Although when that does happen, it will probably be just as memorable, if not more so.

The plot really didn't matter in this episode, as it really was more of an episode dedicated to character development for the Ponds and to The Doctor. As for what it was, the episode did a pretty good job. The plot was there for being there and the character moments of The Ponds and The Doctor were pretty awesome.

6th And Silver:

I guess my opinion of this episode is basically "Good setup, crap payout, too much smarmy speeches about humanity and hope." Remember when Tennant made fun of this kind of speechifying by accidentally quoting "The Lion King"? That was awesome. So much better then "humany wumany".

Aaaand next week we've got River Song again. Fan-fucking-tastic. Followed by good old Jenna "River Song on Quirkiness Steroids" Louise-Coleman. I don't know about everyone else, but this show is really going downhill for me. Hopefully it'll pick up again after Smith regenerates.

My main issues were why did nobody notice the girl sat in the hospital for months, and how is defibrilation going to save people's lives, minutes after they're dead?

it was okay. it has the problem of a really good premise ruend by sub par execution, doctor who has a habit of adding of hentch men and vilain for no reason. Who were those bad guy in the scrubs? we never get told who they are or why they were there or why there was a worm hole in the lift at all, we can assume it was to send the activate signal, so why have it lead to the space ships bridge why not just to an deivce to send the signal. Why were they taking people? no reason at all there was about 6 or so people in the ship for no reason. The reveal of the big bad guy was rushed and again was under explained and having the doctor know everything about him was really lazy writing. we got alot of character development and some good scene with the doctor but it was all under cut at the end when they all decide to go with him any way.

i think the series so far as has been very poor, here hopes it improves.

I really tried to like this episode and I do other than one simple thing that made the first aid trainer in me cringe and rage.

AED'S (Defibrillators) DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

And this is excusing the fact that these people have been medically dead (their hearts stopped beating, they weren't getting oxygen around their systems and they suffered brain death) and lying in the street for at least 10 minutes before they were magicked back to life, a stretch but it is a Kid's show I guess (the first time I've had to use that excuse for Doctor Who since the new series) and the possibility that a few of these people might have been wet or standing near metal or had other's touching them at the time (see: why the Navy can't use defibs on ships)

A Defib works by stopping the heart not starting it. Cardiac arrest is the heart beating widly to no coordinated rythm and the defib "kills" the heart by shocking it. The heart then begins to beat normally by itself if it works at all.

It has absolutely no effect on anyone whose heart has stopped.

It's fustrating to see the same myths that I spent hours teaching out of my students perpetrated by the nationally funded tv channel on a popular program. This is dangerous misinformation.

./rant over.

Basically, I find that the setups are AWSOME, and the payoffs are... poor, to say the least. Why is it Most episodes are like that nowadays?
Anyway, it was a decent episode, though I say it should have been longer.

I honestly think Doctor Who should go with a "Each episode is 2 parts" idea. Because I have an odd feeling the episode is marred more for LACK OF TIME then anything else. The episodes need to be longer to be more substantial, and feel less rushed.

It seems my problems with it are about the same as everyone else's. Things went well until the reveal of the villain, where they rushed through his defeat and intentions so much the episode really felt unfinished to me. I loved the idea of playing with how the masses react to strange things, and I was hoping it would turn out to be some sort of big psychological/sociological experiment put on by some random, sadistic psychologist. But no, some random enemy as old as the Time Lords that we get to see a whole minute of. I am really hoping this is an enemy that's going to return and give a fuller explanation, but if that's the case they still should have alluded to a future meeting better and closed the present events more thoroughly.

Then as Scorched pointed out, the whole thing with people's heart's stopping and being revived quite a while later was just too much. Even if their hearts were revived after all that time, the brain can't last more than about 4 minutes without blood pumping through it. They would have been vegetables.

I loved the character moments, though--Brian was awesome, the Doctor being impatient was awesome, that lady from UNIT was awesome. Though I was a bit sad the Ponds jumped back in with the Doctor so quickly. As the audience we know their time will be up soon, so having them jump back in after becoming so well-adjusted doesn't feel right.

So...yeah. Great beginning, but the ending left a lot to be desired.

trty00:
What did you think of this weeks episode?

What did I think? I thought that it was clearly intended to be a two-parter, filmed about 40 minutes of it as such, and then it was cancelled at the last minute so they wrapped everything up in a quick "and then everything was fine" ending. Weak.

Not a great episode. About average for a Matt Smith one (seriously, hurry the fuck up and kill him off already) but overall it just didn't make much sense and wasn't a lot of fun to watch.

Oh, and that ending line? "The power of three"? Most cringe-inducing line since "Doctor....WHO?!". It hurted my brainybox a little.

Tallim:
and Weeping Angels *again* for next week, ugh. They should have stayed a one off.

Agreed. I had this conversation with a friend - the Angels were scary because they could be anywhere, and you could never hold them off forever. Making them an en-masse attacking army cheapens any threat they may have posed by turning them into another cookie-cutter bad guy. Remember how much intimidating the lone Dalek in "Dalek" was when compared to the entire Dalek armade who have basically become cannon fodder?

The Angels should never, ever have appeared again after "Blink". Leave some mystery to them, leave some fear.

I think Moffat tried a new formula with the whole, "Doctor adapting to regular life". It largely worked, except for the really rushed ending. Also, the title could have been witty and intelligent if Amy didn't spoil the fun for everyone at the end.

I found it the most godawful episode since 'Love & Monsters' to be honest.

The introduction set the tone for the whole episode - terribly delivered and poorly shot filming of a really bad idea. Whoever was directing the camera for this episode kept trying to do clever things, and it was obvious and distracting. The plot was exceptionally weak and flimsy, and though played for laughs came out as more something to groan at - and as 6th and Silver said above, they introduced a lot of throwaway elements that they didn't even attempt to wrap up.

And that final line...

i thought it was alright, just pretty slow at times

cant wait for them to get rid of amy next episode, and also dreading them getting rid of rory next episode

nathan-dts:

6th And Silver:

My main issues were why did nobody notice the girl sat in the hospital for months, and how is defibrilation going to save people's lives, minutes after they're dead?

I didn't really mind the mass-defibrillation so much. Way I see it, they're space-cubes. They can do whatever they want. But why was the girl even THERE? She served absolutely no purpose. Neither did her hell-duck-faced goons.

trty00:
Finally, did anyone else feel that this should have been the set-up for the mid-season finale next week?

My thoughts exactly. I was gearing up for the "To be continued..." screen to pop up and then it just kinda ended. A big disappointment.

I can't wait to they kill Amy and Rory off I think it will get better after that

I enjoyed this episode, but like the majority of the Moffat era Doctor Who episodes I have yet to watch one of his episodes and go "Holy hell that was awesome" (with the exception of Blink back in 10's day). That being said, glaring plot holes aside, I still look forward to Doctor Who every week. It could be better, but it could be worse so I'll keep watching.

Scorched_Cascade:
I really tried to like this episode and I do other than one simple thing that made the first aid trainer in me cringe and rage.

AED'S (Defibrillators) DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

And this is excusing the fact that these people have been medically dead (their hearts stopped beating, they weren't getting oxygen around their systems and they suffered brain death) and lying in the street for at least 10 minutes before they were magicked back to life, a stretch but it is a Kid's show I guess (the first time I've had to use that excuse for Doctor Who since the new series) and the possibility that a few of these people might have been wet or standing near metal or had other's touching them at the time (see: why the Navy can't use defibs on ships)

A Defib works by stopping the heart not starting it. Cardiac arrest is the heart beating widly to no coordinated rythm and the defib "kills" the heart by shocking it. The heart then begins to beat normally by itself if it works at all.

It has absolutely no effect on anyone whose heart has stopped.

It's fustrating to see the same myths that I spent hours teaching out of my students perpetrated by the nationally funded tv channel on a popular program. This is dangerous misinformation.

./rant over.

I agree entirely, when the doctor's heart stopped I got wound up as well - when Amy used the difib on the doctor, (imagining his first heart was in ventricular fibrillation rather than had stopped) then the defib would have fucked up his second heart. And I was also annoyed with this mass defib from the cubes apparently restarting hearts after minutes of them being stopped. They were my biggest problems with the episode. Shoddy research, that as you say, is dangerous misinformation.

I thought the concept of a slow invasion with neat little boxes was was entirely clever and it's a pity they weren't more than tiny collective death machines. I kinda' wanted some of Brian's ideas to be be the answer, or that the things somehow produce clones of people that are hole-faced like those two med-techs. I honestly thought it'd be creepier, but I think that one's reserved for the Angels, next week.

That someone would be so arrogant as to leave their vessel on standby when Brian Williams can stumble upon it proves that the Shakri are a race of asses. Not even a security system. It's like he didn't care if the Doctor stopped him. How many other Timelord myths will there be coming out of the woodworks now?

Two additionals: I like that we're still honoring Nicholas Courtney with UNIT being run by a Lethbridge-Stewart (a genre-savvy one) and has anyone noticed lately that there is a certain theme going on in these episodes, mostly?

Lastly...

Gold.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or