"You can't love animal's if you're not a vegetarian"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Hello, I don't normally post a topic myself, but I saw something today, and I was just wondering what you guy's would have to say about it. On Facebook I saw an argument happening over the idea that 'If you're not a vegetarian, it's impossible for you to love animals'.

I don't know about you guy's, but I found this idea completely idiotic, the way I see it, we are in the food chain as-well as the animals, it's natural for us to eat them. I personally believe that whilst there's no problem in being a vegetarian, I don't think people should really be judged just because they eat meat, especially by making the assumption that they therefore do not love animals. It's just normal nature, you can still love animals, even if you eat meat.

So, what do you guy's think?

Oh boy, this'll be fun.
But yeah, you can still like animals even if you eat meat.

What's funny is that I don't love people as a rule, but I'm decidedly not a cannibal.

The extreme to which they took that argument was idiotic. However, I would be lying if I said that it has never pissed me off how some people can gorge themselves silly on meat without a care in the world, but will recoil in disgust if they're ever told to do so much as pluck a chicken. I mean really, how hypocritical can you get? You want to be an omnivore? Be an omnivore. But don't then act like the farmer who has to cut Miss Piggy's throat in order to put yet another bacon roll in front of you is some kind of brute.

Well, on the other hand you can't love nature if you've ever eaten plants.
So this makes for an absolutely reasonable argument.

Hmm, it seems like a fair thing to say you can't love something you'd have someone kill for you to eat for dinner. Doesn't mean you can't love some animals, but I'd say I don't see how it works for you to say you love animals in general. If you'd have chickens killed for you just so you can enjoy their flesh I don't think it'd be fair to say you love chickens. (Also the chicken cooking in my house smells good and is making me hungry...)

Quaxar:
Well, on the other hand you can't love nature if you've ever eaten plants.
So this makes for an absolutely reasonable argument.

Not particularly comparable given the nature of plants vs that of animals. Plus of course that loving nature is different than just loving plants.

Hobohodo:
Hello, I don't normally post a topic myself, but I saw something today, and I was just wondering what you guy's would have to say about it. On Facebook I saw an argument happening over the idea that 'If you're not a vegetarian, it's impossible for you to love animals'.

I don't know about you guy's, but I found this idea completely idiotic, the way I see it, we are in the food chain as-well as the animals, it's natural for us to eat them. I personally believe that whilst there's no problem in being a vegetarian, I don't think people should really be judged just because they eat meat, especially by making the assumption that they therefore do not love animals. It's just normal nature, you can still love animals, even if you eat meat.

So, what do you guy's think?

Okay it's natural to eat animals, what does that have to do with whether you love them? You don't kill and eat something you love. If someone doesn't have a problem with chickens being killed they obviously don't really love chickens all that much. Maybe you love some animals, but that would probably be evidenced more by not being okay with them being slaughtered.

I love eating animals, I love the taste of animals, so to quite a large extent, I love animals.

OP, you've seen someone write or say that? I've never heard that one. That's plain ridiculous based on health reasons. If you saw that quote, it was from a moron. Please disregard and move along.

No. Just no. Who is...no.

There are farm animals used specifically for being used for a food supply, and then there are the domestic puppies and kittens. They are pretty different. I can love a dog yet eat a pig.

First, an argument on facebook is even LESS worthless than an argument almost anywhere else on the internet. It is somewhere...between luchador and gynecologist youtube and 4chan.

Second, I have this to say:

O Devout Vegetarians of the World, he the mighty Jack doth state that it is the food animals he does not give a crap about, not the cutesy, furry, or awesome ones (mostly). It is the wisdom of our lord of assholes, Denis Leary, there is love for animals AND the eating of meat, and that you should really sort thyselves out. Further, if any one of you should confront O Mighty Jack on this matter in person, there will be a shoe with toes of steel lodged between thine own nethers. You have been warned. Praised be to Jack.

Yeah that would make sense if the world was simple.

It's not.

It's complicated and weird.

That 'argument' is bad, and whoever makes it should feel bad.

We're animals, that eat meat.

It's part of our evolution, DEAL WIT IT!
;)

FalloutJack:

O Devout Vegetarians of the World, he the mighty Jack doth state that it is the food animals he does not give a crap about, not the cutesy, furry, or awesome ones (mostly). It is the wisdom of our lord of assholes, Denis Leary, there is love for animals AND the eating of meat, and that you should really sort thyselves out. Further, if any one of you should confront O Mighty Jack on this matter in person, there will be a shoe with toes of steel lodged between thine own nethers. You have been warned. Praised be to Jack.

And lo the Mighty Jack spoke the words and they were good, for they were The Truth.

Praise Him in all things, praise to O Mighty Jack.

Tanis:

;)

I'd feel more bad about trying to use 'we eat meat' as a defense when the question was whether people love something...

*twitches*

Ugh... *pinches nose*

I believe that's the most faulty argument ever. One has nothing to do with the other.

Yes, the argument is bad, but some of the reasons people are giving for why the argument is bad are even more idiotic than the argument itself. My god, learn to logic.

Me, I'm a humanitarian. Now excuse me, I'm having an old friend over for dinner.

*ahem* Mandatory smartassery out of the way, I never understood this. Most of the vegetarians I know are totally okay, hell, one of my exes had no problem getting a rump steak prepared for me while she worked on her vegetarian lunch.

But every now and then I run into some knight templar wacko who tries to guilt trip me into their lifestyle.

Oh and by the way, when people go "poor animals", do they only mean kitties, puppies and cows or do they give a thought to the poor mosquitos, ticks, jellyfish and tapeworms too?

Captcha: Square meal. Why yes, I like those sometimes.

Dags90:

What's funny is that I don't love people as a rule, but I'm decidedly not a cannibal.

Loved the joke (and surprisingly nobody else made one).

OT: Put a puppy in a basket hanging over the edge of a cliff and put a human baby in a similar basket next to the one with the puppy. I will save the puppy every single time you run the test. I love animals because as Slipknot put it "People=shit".

I was a Vegetarian for a Year in 8th grade after seeing a PETA slaughterhouse video. If i had to Kill the animals myself I'd probably be a Vegetarian. But since i don't as far as i'm concerned Steak grows on trees.

I'd also Eat Humans as a Substitution since I like animals more than Humans.

Tanis:

;)

Part of our Evolution? is that a joke?...Tell me if it is i'm terrible on picking up on this stuff

You can survive without meat there's no necessity for it. The human race wouldn't end if we all became allergic to the stuff. We're omnivores, and since we live in a society that allows you to choose what you want to eat and both meat and other types of food are always available whether you eat meat or not is optional.

Its not hypocritcal at all

I love my dog and cats, and had no care whatsoever about that cow that I ate from Burger King.

By that Logic I cant say I love nature hikes because I ate the lettuce on it.

I would respond to this in the same way my mother responded whenever me or my siblings asked why she loved one of us more.

"I love all of you in different ways. I love dogs because they are loyal and and faithful, I love kittens because they are cute and clever, and I love chickens because they are finger-lickin' good."

I was with a group of people that decided they wanted to try Dog in Vietnam. I ended up eating about half the plate because I didn't want it to go to waste after everyone else had their "experience." Didn't even like the taste.

Still, I was always more of a Cat person.

I'm pretty sure Cheetahs are Huge fans of the Antelope community.

Also, sharks would be very upset if the fish community wasn't around.

I would certainly miss cows if they were gone.

I eat cows, chicken, turkeys, pigs, fish, and shellfish. Never have I eaten cat or dog (I think...). I love my cat. He is like my child (I hate human children, will probably never have one). Me eating meat does not make me love him any less.

Vegetards are just morons who think of themselves as better than everyone else because they choose to not eat meat for whatever reasons.

And yes, Vegetards, not vegetarians, because most vegetarians that I have gotten to know aren't judgemental pricks.

Well might as well test this out.

Why? Why even bring this up?

Ginger768:
I was a Vegetarian for a Year in 8th grade after seeing a PETA slaughterhouse video. If i had to Kill the animals myself I'd probably be a Vegetarian. But since i don't as far as i'm concerned Steak grows on trees.

I'd also Eat Humans as a Substitution since I like animals more than Humans.

Are you for real? I ate meat from animals that I saw alive a few minutes beforehand, because it's part of the natural cycle of life. Besides, we need to eat protein. An adult can live on tofu, but a child needs to eat meat for proper growth.

You're not being more empathetic or noble, by preferring to eat humans over animals. I'm not even sure what word I could use to describe you without receiving a warning. Maybe teenager who wants to be a misanthrope?

EDIT: Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian, just don't try being judgmental over it.

Ginger768:
We're omnivores, and since we live in a society that allows you to choose what you want to eat and both meat and other types of food are always available whether you eat meat or not is optional.

"Allows you to choose" is the crux of the matter here, isn't it? Anyone can eat what they want (mostly, cannibalism is still something I'd not touch with a 10 foot pole), as long as they let me eat what I want.

Just the other day I leaning on a cow deciding the best way to kill it so I could get at all those juicy steaks waiting inside it.

I mean after all animals are only there for me to eat right?

I don't specifically love animals, but I do love nature. Nature is a system in which some animals eat other animals. I see no problem in eating animals.

Wow that's some very binary reasoning we've got going on there. I suppose this person thinks the world is black and white too. ___

Ginger768:

Tanis:

;)

Part of our Evolution? is that a joke?...Tell me if it is i'm terrible on picking up on this stuff

You can survive without meat there's no necessity for it. The human race wouldn't end if we all became allergic to the stuff. We're omnivores, and since we live in a society that allows you to choose what you want to eat and both meat and other types of food are always available whether you eat meat or not is optional.

That's kind of beside the point.
We have canines, we can digest meat. We are evolved to be able to eat animals. Just because it's physically possible to survive without it doesn't change the fact that we're suited to it.
Yes, it is optional, but the reason it's an option at all is evolution... and over-abundance of food.
If there was a famine and all your tofu was gone, you might suddenly find Rover much more appetizing.

"I saw someone spouting BS on facebook I should tell Escapist."

I love animals.. down to the bone.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked