Sooo...Anime. I need more.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I've run out of Anime. For some reason, trying to find a new series that I like through trial and error usually depresses me badly. (so many terrible anime when you choose randomly from a massive alphabetical list.)

Here is a list of my FAVORITE anime/manga.
Berserk.
Bastard!
Elfen Lied.
Claymore.
12 kingdoms.
Deadman Wonderland.
Fate Stay night.
Hellsing (both series.)
Shiki.
Spirited away.

Basically, I enjoy dark fantasy and horror more than any other genre.
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/FleshOfFireAndIce/anime?page=2
that profile has a 'slightly' more complete list of my watched anime. (I haven't updated it it a while).

lately I've been watching anesthesia of a rogue hero...which is... 'o.k'. not very original. sort of a focus on ecchi. but it has enough fantasy elements to keep me interested.

Please help me! I don't really 'dislike' any genre, but I don't like...plots that use the blatant and forced stupidity/obliviousness/ignorence of its characters as a staple.

Naruto and Bleach?
:P
Well haven't seen to many darkey horrory things, I've seen pretty few anime to be fair but Mechawise Full Metal Panic is nice,, doubt you'll like it based on what you're looking for (didn't go to the link to check what you've seen so sorry if you ave that mentioned)
So in darkey horrory fantasy way I am of no use :(

I say the same thing in everyone of these threads and since I have been talking about it a lot today (for some reason) I will reiterate: Darker than Black. Complete first season is on Netflix. It's modern fantasy/sci fi with a spy/noir atmosphere.

Seirei no Moribito... Guardian of the Sacred Spirit. It's very, very good. THe author is an Anthropologist and writes really well. She's the writer for Erin... which I haven't finished and should someday.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=6977

Go watch both.

Verzin:
lately I've been watching anesthesia of a rogue hero...which is... 'o.k'. not very original. sort of a focus on ecchi. but it has enough fantasy elements to keep me interested.

Considering how fan-service-y/trope-y it is at times, that'd work! (Took me a while to realise you were talking about Hagure Yuusha no Aesthetica... -_-

Hmmm... random list time:

Bakumatsu Kikanketsu Irohanihoheto - Meiji-era with hocum...

Fappy:
Darker than Black

That... PS what's your avatar??

Nurarihyon no Mago & Sennen no Makyo - Japanese mythology on a sort of highschool/gangster-lite level
Natsume Yuujinchou (and numerous successive series) - Japanese mythology on a more personal level

... *shrug* not really watching much fantasy these days... I seem to be sucked into a morass of slice-of-life... -_-

Fairy Tail
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Durarara!!
Baccano
Gurren Lagann
D Gray Man

Those are the best, I a also going to have to watch Angel Beats.

For dark Fantasy, I recommend Soul Eater. Depite the ending (the manga is ongoing while the anime decided to end it) it was good.

Since you used that anime listing sort of site, here is my list. Yes I have seen ALOT of anime but half of it are animes I want to watch so you can filter that out.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Scarim/anime

SckizoBoy:
-Snip-

That's Yin and Kiko from the very anime I mentioned :D

Try "Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni" and/or "Another".

Fappy:

*shakes head in bewilderment* I'll have to watch it again... 'cos I don't recognise the outfit... eesh... =_=

SckizoBoy:

Fappy:

*shakes head in bewilderment* I'll have to watch it again... 'cos I don't recognise the outfit... eesh... =_=

Technically Kiko's normal attire is cosplay. She's an anime/manga nut and gets picked on all the time in the show for it. Unfortunately she's a very minor character and is only really around for the laid back humorous bits. Most of the show is pretty srs bsns.

Spice and Wolf.

Its better than Death Note which really takes some doing. Dont let the art design of the female lead put you off its a story set in medieval times about economics life love and riches. Strongest female character I have seen in any anime (not stiff competition there though) and contains dialogue that sounds like a human being might say. In fact im gonna go make a forum urging people to buy season 2 so that season 3 can get funded. Go watch the damn thing on youtube right this moment and then buy season 2 on DVD to wake those buggers who make it up, get season 3 up and running.

Fairly Broad appeal:
Baccano!
Black Lagoon
Excel Saga
Fate/Zero (This one should be obvious if you liked Fate/Stay Night, which basically adapts the less interesting parts of the game. Fate/Zero far surpasses it - and the original game - in storyline and production values).
Steins;Gate (The game is better though)

More specific appeal:
Spice & Wolf
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (and Kai)
Kara no Kyoukai - The Garden of Sinners (same guy who made Fate/Stay Night).
Grave of the Fireflies
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Usagi Drop

If you haven't watched "Baccano!",change that right now. It's great fun, has an enjoyable cast and plot set in 1920's America.

Also your profile says you watched Slayers so I'll go ahead and say watch Slayers Next,it's a improvement over the first season and it has Xellos,one of the best characters in the series. Try is not bad but defiantly the weakest of the original 3 seasons

Asides form that there is When they Cry,a great horror show about a small town in rural japan, Hell Girl where the horror is presented in morality tales of varying degrees of grey as the series progress.

Finally Red Garden,a horror/girls fighting monsters show,it has some nice character development and mysteries. The girls act how most girls would react to having this kind of thing happen to them.

EDIT:Wasurenagumo, a short piece about spiders and ancient books. Fairly creepy and better than it sounds

Thanks very much everyone who posted here. I have a pretty long list now, so I'm happy.

While I enjoy the fantasy elements of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, the...bloody CONSTANT fanservice is grating on my nerves a little. Shame.

Fappy:

SckizoBoy:
-Snip-

oh my god. I was watching Kemono no Souja Erin at one point. I LOVED it (even though it made me very sad). then I lost it and could never remember the name. Thanks so much.

Urotsukidoji! If that isn't horror I don't know what is XD

How do you feel about comedy? Cause I've got one that's a doozy. Behold, if you will, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

This anime is freaking nuts. And I do love it. It's kinda a mix of Powerpuff Girls... and Drawn Together. It's raunchy, it's distasteful, it's perverted... and it's freaking brilliant.

Seriously, this anime has one of the most mind-melting endings I've ever seen. Period. I won't spoil it, but geez, it makes the ending of Scott Pilgrim look SANE by comparison.

The Future Diary!
~and I just got into Bakemonogatari, it's really good as well (but the former is EPIC).

If you don't mind crying like a little bitch here and there, Ano Hana as well.

Actually, ignore the haters.

Naruto is about as good as it gets in mainstream manga/anime. Very dark at times, excellent characters, insanely funny and some moments of such sheer badassery that I got chills. Watch from the base series and move onto the Shippuden series (the second half) and you've got one of the longest, best continuities I've read to date.

Verzin:
-snip-

The anime club at my university is watching Angel Beats this semester, and it's actually really neat. And it's got a beautiful opening theme:

These are all already recommended by other people, but I just wanted to re-emphasize them for their sheer awesomeness:

Gurren Lagann
Baccano
Durarara

And I believe you can watch Gurren Lagann through Hulu, and Baccano and Durarara through Funimation's official web site (though you will have to make an account and say you're over 18, because Baccano is quite violent).

You should watch Gurren Lagann. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen (MAH DRILL SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS AND THEN PIERCE THE MOON ALSO I HAVE A DRILL FOR A HAND AND YOKO) and is very much worth a watch.

Verzin:
I've run out of Anime. For some reason, trying to find a new series that I like through trial and error usually depresses me badly.

I've been a fan of anime for like 7 years and I ran out of anime in 2007.

Here's what you do.

Find some blogs. Maybe some anime news sites. You probably do it for games (you are on the escapist, after all), you can do it for anime. Ideally, a blog with your kind of tastes.

Every season, there's a fresh lineup of shows. The anime community has a weird habit of making black charts listing said shows, but personally I prefer tv tropes. Every season I go through it, pick out the shows that seem interesting, and watch at least three episodes.

Shows get dropped, shows get forgotten, but some shows are forever.

Leemaster777:
How do you feel about comedy? Cause I've got one that's a doozy. Behold, if you will, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

This anime is freaking nuts. And I do love it. It's kinda a mix of Powerpuff Girls... and Drawn Together. It's raunchy, it's distasteful, it's perverted... and it's freaking brilliant.

Seriously, this anime has one of the most mind-melting endings I've ever seen. Period. I won't spoil it, but geez, it makes the ending of Scott Pilgrim look SANE by comparison.

I was kind of confused at the ending.

Regardless, you should totally watch PASWG. It's great fun and really unique.

neonsword13-ops:

Leemaster777:

I was kind of confused at the ending.

Regardless, you should totally watch PASWG. It's great fun and really unique.

Let me say this about the ending:

Fate Zero
Give "Monster" a shot despite not being a fantasy one
Gungrave
Trigun
"Full metal alchemist brotherhood" (despite being popular, its most well constructed anime i've seen with no filler unlike bleach or naruto.

Kara no Kyokai (this would def. suit you its a prototype for all the type moon characters including shirou from fate stay night) JUST WATCH IT!

Fappy:
I say the same thing in everyone of these threads and since I have been talking about it a lot today (for some reason) I will reiterate: Darker than Black. Complete first season is on Netflix. It's modern fantasy/sci fi with a spy/noir atmosphere.

I'll second this. It's like Akira meets Heroes by way of Ghost In The Shell.
Speaking of which, try Ghost In The Shell. Both the movie and the show are brilliant, and even my dad was able to enjoy it. If you're a fan of cyberpunk like my dad and I, you'll love it.

I found Soul Eater and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood to be excellent.

IndomitableSam:
Seirei no Moribito... Guardian of the Sacred Spirit. It's very, very good. THe author is an Anthropologist and writes really well. She's the writer for Erin... which I haven't finished and should someday.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=6977

Go watch both.

I second this. Seirei no Moribito is easily one of the best amines I've ever seen.

Edit: I'm going to throw in Record of Lodoss war too even if it's a little generic at times.

So I see you like slightly morbid ones, how about when seagulls cry? (Umineko no naku Koro ni in Jap)

And now for my suggestions:

Baccano! -1920-30's era New York with immortal people. Is very character focused. Veery gory. Example: Guy drags little kid's face on train tracks while the train they are on is in motion.

Durarara! -By the same studio that made Baccano! Think modern day Japan, gang wars, and mythological references.

Gurren Lagann -Kid and his "big bro" live in an underground city. Giant robot and chick with big tits crash through the ceiling. The kid finds a tiny robot and proceeds to fight the Giant Robot. Kid, "big bro", and big tits go to surface and fight other giant robots. "Big bro" steals a giant robot and combines it with little robot FORMING GURREN LAGANN!!1! Kid and "big bro" decide to say FUCK THE SYSTEM and go to kill the King of the world. And that's pretty much where the show starts. Me describing Gurren Lagann doesn't do the show justice. It's heart warming, funny, sad, and overall bad-ass. It has explosions n' tits n' giant robots n' explosions. It's good.

Angel Beats -Very good. Excellent even. Guy wakes up and finds out he's dead. He is now in a world with other dead people. The thing is, these people won't pass on into the next life until the find true inner peace. It's very sad too. Especially the ending.

K-On! -Looking for a good silly anime? well look no further! This on is all about 4 highschool girls and their exploits in their school music club. Nothing really happens but it's an excellent time waster. It's not really for everyone, though.

Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt. Just look at Leemaster's

Almost forgot FLCL (FoolyCooly) -Probably the most weirdest anime you'll ever watch. You'll have no idea what's going on but it's a blast all the way through. It also packs all that weirdness into 7 episodes. up, that's it. 7 episodes.

Wow OP you got CRAWLIN IN MY SKIN levels of EDGY taste.
anyways here is a chart.

I can't recommend anything people in this thread haven't already(We all have very similar tastes here.) so you might have better luck with some google searches.

Well, you have a list where which titles I've watch have so little in common that I can't even get a gist of your taste.

Just watch 80s anime.

Give Madoka Magica a try. Don't let the cutesy character design and the fact that it's a magical girl anime fool you. Just... keep watching.

Steins;Gate is pretty good and so is Ergo proxy. Hell Girl is another good anime as well.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked