Sooo...Anime. I need more.

Pages PREV 1 2

Judging by your personal taste and personal favorites I recommend these:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica(Fantasy, Psychological horror, tragedy, 12 episodes)

Neon Genesis Evangelion(Sci-fi, Psychological Horror, drama, 26 episodes and one movie)

Fate/Zero(fantasy, action, tragedy, 25 episodes)

Kara no Kyoukai(fantasy, action, drama, 7 movies)

Perfect Blue(horror, mystery, 1 movie)

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni(horror, fantasy, drama, mystery, 50 episodes)

Now if you're talking about any genre:

Cowboy Bebop(Sci-fi, action, comedy, tragedy, 26 episodes)

Trigun(Sci-fi, action, comedy, drama, 26 episodes)

Fooly Cooly(Uhhh...comedy...I guess, 6 episodes)

Baccano!(fantasy, action, 16 episodes)

Summer Wars(sci-fi, drama, action, comedy, 1 movie)

Grave of the Fireflies(tragedy, 1 movie)

Tokyo Godfathers(drama, comedy, 1 movie)

Revolutionary Girl Utena(drama, arthouse, 39 episodes)

Mawaru Penguindrum(drama, comedy, arthouse, 26 episodes)

Bakemonogatari(fantasy, drama, comedy, 15 episodes)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan(sci-fi, action, drama, 27 episodes)

I'm leaving many things out, but I think this pretty much covers it...sort of.

Well, a rather old anime show dubbed ".hack" in general, where people in a MMORPG are playing, but a shit ton of wierd stuff happens in the ga-....

Why you looking at me like that? I KNOW IT SOUNDS CHEESY and WIERD! But it's really good I swear!

Just look it up -.-. It's my favorite anime series of all time, by the way.

It's mostly a psychological mindfuck to be honest. It doesn't get very actiony or bloody but it deals with a lot of stuff like deaths(in the form of a coma, I'm not gonna spoil how), the breaking up of friends, group infighting, depression, and a lot of MMO-centric stuff (like guys hitting on girl players... lol) it's pretty cool. The last series was a tragedy, in fact. (I mean that in the drama-definition not the "it's a piece of shit show" way.)

Sadly, the protagonist in The Light Brigade is a complete emo IMO but I still find it worth bearing through ;).

Lilani:
snip

Yeah Angel Beats is great, but it was really cut down and needed more episodes

Verzin:
snip.

Watch Ghost Stories

Yes that is an official dub and it made a crappy anime better

Phoenix seems like it would be right up your alley. It's a collection of twisted stories with an overarching theme. Check it out: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3459

I'm always happy to recommend Death Note and Baccano. Also, if you like Fate Stay Night, I recommend you check out Fate/Zero. It's available for legal free stream on Crunchyroll.

While not exactly "dark", I also recommend Code Geass. While I think that all in all, the first season was better than the second, the second one does really start out well, and the ending is fantastic. As for the first season, it's pretty close to absolute gold. There are moments when the fanservice may seem out of place, but it never really managed to shake me out of the scene, so hopefully it won't be a problem. The fanservice is mostly in the form of camera angles, and usually doesn't interfere with much.

And while I haven't seen it myself, I've heard very good things about Steins Gate.

Leemaster777:
How do you feel about comedy? Cause I've got one that's a doozy. Behold, if you will, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

This anime is freaking nuts. And I do love it. It's kinda a mix of Powerpuff Girls... and Drawn Together. It's raunchy, it's distasteful, it's perverted... and it's freaking brilliant.

Seriously, this anime has one of the most mind-melting endings I've ever seen. Period. I won't spoil it, but geez, it makes the ending of Scott Pilgrim look SANE by comparison.

looks like Puffy Ami Yumi fell deeper down the fan service rabbit hole.

where can i watch the original japanese version? the site i normally watch anime on only has the english dub.

Lev The Red:

Leemaster777:
How do you feel about comedy? Cause I've got one that's a doozy. Behold, if you will, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

This anime is freaking nuts. And I do love it. It's kinda a mix of Powerpuff Girls... and Drawn Together. It's raunchy, it's distasteful, it's perverted... and it's freaking brilliant.

Seriously, this anime has one of the most mind-melting endings I've ever seen. Period. I won't spoil it, but geez, it makes the ending of Scott Pilgrim look SANE by comparison.

where can i watch the original japanese version? the site i normally watch anime on only has the english dub.

It's readily available on Youtube. You'll probably have to watch each episode in chunks, but it's actually not that bad, since each episode is divided into two parts already.

Marik2:
Watch Ghost Stories

-video snip-

Oh my GOD, that show is HYSTERICAL. We watched an episode in club last week for our weekly random anime (every week, people bring in shows and we pick one episode from one show at random to watch). We were certain it had to have been a gag dub, but the person who brought it swore it was legit. We watched the Mary, Mary episode and I laughed so hard, but I never could decide if I should be laughing. It was like the South Park guys dubbed it or something. Thanks for reminding me, I need to look up more episodes of that.

If you're into "Less Brutal" dark series, they I would recommend checking out Here and Then, Now and There. While the series isn't as violent or as disturbing as other anime (hell, there are even moments of genuine comedy), it goes into pretty dark territory. Also, since you're American, the complete series is on Hulu, with no barrier of entry, for absolutely free.

Well most of the horror anime I would suggest have already been said but I'll mention the good ones;

Higurashi and it's sequel
Another
Madoka
Muv Luv is supposed to be the mecha equivalent of Madoka, i.e. taking a common anime type and making it grimdark.
Monster
Blassreiter
Blood+

Don't watch the gantz anime, it's terrible.

Lilani:

Marik2:
Watch Ghost Stories

-video snip-

Oh my GOD, that show is HYSTERICAL. We watched an episode in club last week for our weekly random anime (every week, people bring in shows and we pick one episode from one show at random to watch). We were certain it had to have been a gag dub, but the person who brought it swore it was legit. We watched the Mary, Mary episode and I laughed so hard, but I never could decide if I should be laughing. It was like the South Park guys dubbed it or something. Thanks for reminding me, I need to look up more episodes of that.

Yeah they need to make more anime like this- take an anime that is crappy and didn't do so well and make it into a professional spoof.

This was made in the early days of ADV, which I think the company went broke or something.

Also your anime club sounds fun, mine was like talking about deconstructing anime tropes

*snicker snicker*

Lucky Star

*snicker snicker*

Leemaster777:

Lev The Red:

Leemaster777:
snip

It's readily available on Youtube. You'll probably have to watch each episode in chunks, but it's actually not that bad, since each episode is divided into two parts already.

i looked it up on youtube and the first episode says it's not available in my country. the other ones i saw were poorly synced.

Lev The Red:

Leemaster777:

Lev The Red:

i looked it up on youtube and the first episode says it's not available in my country. the other ones i saw were poorly synced.

You have to do some digging on youtube to find the original Japanese, since funimation has been deleting them

But there should be someone who uploaded the whole thing

Phantom Kat:

So disagreed.
Probably the best English dub out there as well, next to Desert Punk.

I would recommend Strike Witches...

... because I enjoy human suffering.

Bat Vader:
Steins;Gate is pretty good and so is Ergo proxy. Hell Girl is another good anime as well.

Second this. I recommend Steins;Gate to pretty much anyone, since it's just that good. :)

It's been awhile since I have hung out with Re-l Mayer though, but my first adventurers with her really made me think. :)

If you enjoyed Elfen Lied, you might like Mnemosyne. Has a lot of adult themes, can be quite sad at times, anddddd it's spiced with the supernatural. Although it's only 6 episodes, they are like 40 minutes each if I remember. :)

Marik2:
Yeah they need to make more anime like this- take an anime that is crappy and didn't do so well and make it into a professional spoof.

This was made in the early days of ADV, which I think the company went broke or something.

Also your anime club sounds fun, mine was like talking about deconstructing anime tropes

Yeah, we do quite a bit of that as well. Basically at the beginning of the year we vote on four shows to watch (the club buys one show and other people have to provide legal copies of the other 3 to watch). The meetings are four hours long, and we watch 2 episodes of every show every night. But because an episode is only 22 minutes that leaves some extra time, so we do that one episode of random at the beginning. But during the shows there is chatter and we take the piss out of the shows when they warrant it. You can still hear the show and you can't talk too loud, but conversation is definitely not discouraged. It's a nice, big, weekly dose of anime :D

Then we have a Halloween party and a Christmas party and an arbor day party...fun stuff, lol. Our four shows this semester are Angel Beats, Read or Die, Spice and Wolf, and Gurren Lagann.

Aylaine:

Bat Vader:
Steins;Gate is pretty good and so is Ergo proxy. Hell Girl is another good anime as well.

Second this. I recommend Steins;Gate to pretty much anyone, since it's just that good. :)

It's been awhile since I have hung out with Re-l Mayer though, but my first adventurers with her really made me think. :)

If you enjoyed Elfen Lied, you might like Mnemosyne. Has a lot of adult themes, can be quite sad at times, anddddd it's spiced with the supernatural. Although it's only 6 episodes, they are like 40 minutes each if I remember. :)

Have you played the Steins;Gate visual novel yet?

You have Madoka Magica on "Want to watch". Gogogo right now. Crunchyroll. For some reason it doesn't even have ads. Now. I don't care if you have work, or college, or high school, or whatever. Marathon it nao.

Fate/zero as was mentioned prior.

Not enough people have mentioned Future Diary AKA Mirai Nikki. That should probably be exactly what you're looking for.

Another is also a super-good choice. It's not out-and-out action (actually, there's no action at all) until the very end, but it's dark, and it's good stuff. Very pleasantly surprised when I watched it.

Code Geass is, as someone above mentioned, not actually what you're asking for, but it's amazing and the emotional tension is amazing, so you'll likely enjoy it. It's my personal favorite anime. Also, I like the second season more than the first, because I'm a rebel.

Higurashi I have not seen, but by reputation alone I would recommend it.

And general, off the top of my head, not-actually-what-you're-asking for stuff that is good:
Trigun, Angel Beats, Baccano, Lucky Star because why the hell not?, Kokoro Connect, Sword Art Online, Haruhi Suzumiya, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, Spice and Wolf, Gundam 00, Accel World, and...um...Durarara!!

Watch Code Geass. One of my favorite anime.

Dr. Cakey:
Not enough people have mentioned Future Diary AKA Mirai Nikki. That should probably be exactly what you're looking for.

Fucking... thank you!
Too many people here must be deathly afraid of having their minds blown.

GTwander:

Dr. Cakey:

Fucking... thank you!
Too many people here must be deathly afraid of having their minds blown.

They just can't handle the RAW POWER AND MANLINESS of the voice of NORIO WAKAMOTO.

That would be the voice of Deus (Future Diary), Emperor Charles (Code Geass), Alexander Andersen (Hellsing Ultimate OVAs), and Cell (DBZ). Oh, also that one guy from Baccano. And some other stuff.

Verzin:
I've run out of Anime. For some reason, trying to find a new series that I like through trial and error usually depresses me badly. (so many terrible anime when you choose randomly from a massive alphabetical list.)

Here is a list of my FAVORITE anime/manga.
Fate Stay night.

Have you seen Fate Zero, the prequil to Fate/Stay Night? Or the movie, Unlimited Blade Works?

Also, how do you feel about older shows?

Edit: Almost forgot to ask if you'd seen Tsukihime (the other series in the Fate/Stay Night universe) or Carnival Phantasm (the strange crossover between Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night).

Lilani:

Marik2:

Yeah, we do quite a bit of that as well. Basically at the beginning of the year we vote on four shows to watch (the club buys one show and other people have to provide legal copies of the other 3 to watch). The meetings are four hours long, and we watch 2 episodes of every show every night. But because an episode is only 22 minutes that leaves some extra time, so we do that one episode of random at the beginning. But during the shows there is chatter and we take the piss out of the shows when they warrant it. You can still hear the show and you can't talk too loud, but conversation is definitely not discouraged. It's a nice, big, weekly dose of anime :D

Then we have a Halloween party and a Christmas party and an arbor day party...fun stuff, lol. Our four shows this semester are Angel Beats, Read or Die, Spice and Wolf, and Gurren Lagann.

Wow that is really fun.

Most anime clubs I've seen were kinda lame since there was never any events and people would just do their thing. And most of the people were really JAPAN IS TEH GREATEST COUNTRY EVAR crap.

Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero

Goddamnit why haven't I seen this yet. *goes searching*

FOUND IT. That was a pain. In Japanese it's Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. So yeah, had to search by picture. That alone was worth coming to this thread. Now I do have a recommendation.

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai

K go watch that.

http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Bulletproof/anime

Or just watch anything rated 4.5 or over in my list. You won't be disappointed.

I'm not sure about your tastes, but Neon Genesis Evangelion, FLCL and Gurren Lagann are all excellent.

Also, if you enjoyed Death Note, Code Geass is definitely worth a watch.

I also recently watched some of Sword Art Online and what I saw was really good.

Verzin:

Please help me! I don't really 'dislike' any genre, but I don't like...plots that use the blatant and forced stupidity/obliviousness/ignorence of its characters as a staple.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you give me an example of an anime that does this?

HardkorSB:
Try "Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni"

Bah, ninja'd.

Higurashi is great if you can get past the anime's terrible artwork. The VNs are much better.

OT: I'd suggest Cowboy bebop if you haven't seen it because it's great. Doesn't suit your specified appeal but, it may interest you.

'Umineko No Naku Koro Ni' is a brilliant anime. Think 'Agatha Christie with whitches.' It's a very good murder mystery that has kept me confused (I'm yet to finish so I can't tell you if it ends well).

Soul Eater is a good dark fantasy. I don't really know how to explain it however.

Meh, I've actually never liked anime, its just not for me. But I do like video games. I do like Persona 4, and I really REALLY enjoyed the anime adaptation "Persona 4: The Animation". Story, characters (oh man the characters...), and animation wise its great. I also heard Gurren Laggan is really good. I have seen all 26 episode of Trigun, take my advice watch that, its pretty amazing.

Considering your tastes: Fate/zero and Madoka magica.

+1 to Gurren Lagaan, Darker than Black, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell, most of the things here (but not Naruto, bleh)

My addition:
Escaflowne
Zero no Tsukaima
Birdy: The Mighty
Card Captor Sakura (HAS to be subbed version, and you'll have to find the correct order online, the dub fucked it completely)
Digimon Tamers
Dragonaut
Vandread
Slayers

Thats all I can think of atm.

I'm going to list the few anime I love, whether they've been mentioned or not; and since it's a whole list in itself, I say if you liked Spirited Away check out the rest of Miyazaki's movies (and by extension pretty much anything by Studio Ghibli), they're all excellent.

So here we go, in no particular order:
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell (both the movies and the Standalone Complexes)
Baccanno!
Soul Eater
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt
Kemonozume
Mononoke
Hellsing Ultimate (unlike the anime titled simply Hellsing, this follows the manga to the letter)
Ghost Stories
Paprika

I think that's it. I'll edit this post if I remember anything I left out.

GTwander:

Phantom Kat:

So disagreed.
Probably the best English dub out there as well, next to Desert Punk.

Wait wait wait, you like Gantz? as in the anime?

It didn't transition to anime well and the plot ended up way too drawn out. That and the ending... *shudder* so bad.

OT: Completely forgot, Witch hunter robin is OK, don't think anyone's mentioned it so far.

Anything by Gainax, no one can hate Gaianx animes.

Medaka Box
The Mystic Archives of Dantalian
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Corpse Princess
Gurren Lagann
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked