What is your favorite time-travel movie?
Back to the Future (Any)
44.8% (124)
44.8% (124)
12 Monkeys
12.6% (35)
12.6% (35)
Looper
7.6% (21)
7.6% (21)
Planet of the Apes
1.4% (4)
1.4% (4)
Terminator (Any)
8.7% (24)
8.7% (24)
Primer
7.9% (22)
7.9% (22)
Star Trek (Any)
2.5% (7)
2.5% (7)
Other
14.1% (39)
14.1% (39)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: The Best Time-Travel Movie

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Aylaine:
What a coincidence. I'm going to go see Looper in a few hours! xD

I'm totally psyched now, like a Yuri Prime. :D

The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)

I saw bits of 'The Girl who Leapt Through Time', and from what I saw it was fairly good. Personally, I enjoy the 'Back to the Future' series, with Terminator 2 coming in a close second.

And, I spy with my little eye, a Red Alert 2 reference...

Aylaine:
The Girl who Leapt Through Time is my favorite, as of right now. I love the way time travel works in this movie. I watched it on a recommendation from a friend, and it's the best time travel movie as well as animated movie I have seen so far. :)

Dammit, I was gonna say that! Brilliant movie. Even my mom liked it, and she usually doesn't like the movies I like. Sure, my dad fell asleep, but that's my dad for you >.>

I'll have to go with Back to the future, but I'd have to say that 12 Monkeys is close behind

I voted Primer. They do what most people would do with a time machine.

Looper plot thingy

With the directions that movie could have gone I was disappointed.

I voted for Back to the Future but I completely forgot about Bill & Ted.

The original Time Machine was one of my favorites. It detailed changes in time and showed how much things can change in 100 years. Love it.

Course I'm a science geek so it may not appeal to everyone.

OlasDAlmighty:

Well 12 Monkey's is the very best TT movie in my opinion.

DanielBrown:
12 Monkeys is my choice.

I don't mean to pick on you two specifically, but anyone who picked 12 Monkeys should be ashamed of themselves! Not only was it dull, drawn out, too dark and a complete waste of the awesomesauce that is the Willis, but the original short film it is based on had a much, MUCH more atmospheric feel to it, and unlike the tripe that 12 Monkeys was, La Jetee told you everything you needed to know, and got the entire story wrapped up nicely in just 25 minutes! And without that absurd mental institution scene to boot! Have a look for yourselves, then hang your heads in shame!

/rant.

Time Cop: The Berlin Decision has a more coherent storyline than it deserves.

What I dislike about the Back to the Future series is that it implies that it is a-ok to change the past / future if it fits you. Especially the second movie has the premisse of where Doc Brown jumps out of character and wants to change history to prevent shit in the future when his biggest gripe in the first was that you are not allowed to change time (though he breaks his standard due to human flaw). The changes made are also on a too small scale for my liking. Biffs entire life is ruined but is that all? No, I'm pretty sure a lot more is changed and people who never did a bad thing are now pretty much fucked.

Thus I prefer 12 monkeys. Unlike Back to the Future it'll actually be a giant spoiler to read why I like it:

My choice is: 12 Monkeys.

EHKOS:

TheIronRuler:

Axolotl:
What? Seriously what was evil about 12 Monkeys?

It fucks with your mind. Ni hope, no chance for reversal, just the inevitable. I would have been angry at the movie if I didn't like it so much.

That's part of what makes it so great. There are very few stories in movies/books/games where the bad guy wins, and while it feels weird, it's also good because it rarely happens. Sometimes, you get sick of the hero always winning, it gets boring. It's what killed Superman for me, you KNOW he's ALWAYS going to win.

So 12 Monkeys is my vote.

Actually we see the female scientist at the end in the plane where the man with the disease ends up. She says: "I'm insurance." She gets the information they need to combat the disease in the future. It's only a bad ending for the main character.

FAQ About Time Travel, for sure.

I think 12 Monkeys is probably the best time travel movie. Back to the Future's time travel was poorly executed, even though I loved it, and the rules of time travel changed in every Terminator movie. 12 Monkeys was consistent and well written, so I've got to vote for it.

Oh, also really entertaining - Donnie Darko. Weird as hell, but I was laughing.

If you honestly think Looper was a good Time-Travel movie you REALLY weren't paying attention...

Elmoth:

EHKOS:

TheIronRuler:

It fucks with your mind. Ni hope, no chance for reversal, just the inevitable. I would have been angry at the movie if I didn't like it so much.

That's part of what makes it so great. There are very few stories in movies/books/games where the bad guy wins, and while it feels weird, it's also good because it rarely happens. Sometimes, you get sick of the hero always winning, it gets boring. It's what killed Superman for me, you KNOW he's ALWAYS going to win.

Actually we see the female scientist at the end in the plane where the man with the disease ends up. She says: "I'm insurance." She gets the information they need to combat the disease in the future. It's only a bad ending for the main character.

I was under the impression she didn't know who it was. I thought she said "I'm IN insurance" as in her career. I may have to go back and watch that bit.

Argh, I have seen all th movies listed and yet I can't even remember any of them enough to make a proper comparison.
So I am just going to go with 12 Monkeys.
The other are too juvenile or too much emphasis on shooting.

Looper was damn good. An extremely interesting movie, marked by very strong performances from two excellent actors. As far as serious time travel movies go, that has to be my favourite. I think I might prefer Back to the Future on the whole, though, as it was just so much fun, and something I could happily watch time and time again!

EHKOS:

Elmoth:

EHKOS:

I was under the impression she didn't know who it was. I thought she said "I'm IN insurance" as in her career. I may have to go back and watch that bit.

From the IMDB faq:

Does Cole's mission succeed?

It does, according to director Terry Gilliam. Cole's mission was never to change the past, which he repeatedly states cannot be done, but rather to find a sample of the pure virus which could be sent back to his time for analysis, in hopes that they could at least create a cure for al the virus' mutations, and make the Earth habitable again in that future. At the end of the film, Cole identifies the carrier of the virus, and although Cole himself dies, his information allowed one of the scientists to go to the past from the future, and obtain a sample of the virus, thereby making the hope for an eventual cure possible. Note that the female scientist is clearly the same age in the modern setting as she is in the future scenes, ruling out the notion that her younger self just happens to have been on the plane with the carrier. It is strongly implied that the scientists from the future planned Cole's death because he refused to return to his own time, and they could not allow him to disturb the past any further. They send Jose (Jon Seda) through time to give Cole an ancient gun and instructions to complete his mission. They might have intended that Cole try to use the gun in a(n) (futile) attempt to kill the carrier of the virus. The scientists probably knew it would not work and would cause security personnel to neutralize him, while the female scientist herself made sure the mission was completed.

considering i haven't seen half of your list i can't exactly compare them. but i am a bit of a fan of most time travel related movies so I'll have to be on the lookout for them :D

I'd have to choose the back to the future trilogy since i practically grew up watching them on VHS with terminator 2 coming in close second. however not on the list I'd also put in the time machine as third. how ever my favourite concept of time travel (so far) would be from the 'Red vs Blue' machinima series (episode 50 if i recall)

Jamash:
My favourite "light" time-travel film is Les Visiteurs:

My favourite serious time-travel film, and probably my favourite Sci-Fi film is The Man From Earth:

Some may argue that it's not really a time-travel film, but I think it qualifies as it's about the experiences of someone from one time period set against the backdrop of another time period, it's just that the protagonist travels forward through time at a ratio of 1:1.

Oh man I fucking love that movie. It's sad that very few people (that I know of) have seen it. Hell, I'd never even heard of it 'till a friend recommended it to me after seeing it because he clicked on a random link on IMDB.
Anyway OT:
I'm gonna say Back to the Future.. But I suspect that's because of the rose tinted nostalgia goggles.
Haven't seen any of the films in ages.

I voted other, a little known comedy film, Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel is probably my favourite, filmed on a budget of about 3.67p starring Chris O'Dowd and Anna Farris, it is very enjoyabe and should be checked out by people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910554/

King of Asgaard:
I completely understand this. Not one person I talk to aside from my brother has ever heard of this little gem.
What I like the most about it is how it portrays time travel. It is pretty much exactly how I would want to time travel. No one time use magic spell or time machine, just jump to another time.
Also, it has one of the few female protagonists who's done well, to the point where I care about what happens to her.

I feel the same way. Most of the time for me, characters and motives become blurry when time travel is a core mechanic of a movie or show. Especially if they can just keep doing it with no consequences. It doesn't allow me to really connect with that character afterwords. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time however dealt with a lot of situations I could see myself being in. It touched so close to home that the ending made me cry, because I had come to really care about Makato half way through the movie. :)

Kaleion:
Huh... I keep hearing about this film, I don't really know much about it other than it's animated and apparently very good, it seems like I must watch this film.

I highly recommend it. Sub or Dub. They both work. After my last post in this thread yesterday, took a quick look at the English version of the movie. I was blown away. What started as quick look turned into about 2 hours of watching, because some parts made me skip backwards to hear how good the voices were. :)

Evrant:
And, I spy with my little eye, a Red Alert 2 reference...

I'm a big fan of Terminator as well, but it doesn't really bring any raw emotion to me. Well, besides T2. The rest were fun to watch though. :)

You get a soviet shaped cookie for my reference. <3

SomeLameStuff:

Aylaine:

Dammit, I was gonna say that! Brilliant movie. Even my mom liked it, and she usually doesn't like the movies I like. Sure, my dad fell asleep, but that's my dad for you >.>

XD

It really brings me joy to see so many people also like it! My best friends also really liked it too, interestingly enough. They aren't into anime either, so....the movie must be magical. :)

Bill and Ted
The Time Machine

Where's Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

You can't have a legitimate time travel poll without Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!!!

Back to the future is one of my favourite franchises that I an recall so....

TheTechnomancer:
Just two words
Groundhog Day

I was going to say Time Bandits but then I read this. He's right.

Copper Zen:
Where's Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure?

You can't have a legitimate time travel poll without Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!!!

How did I forget! Please forgive me, Ted.

Squilookle:

OlasDAlmighty:

Well 12 Monkey's is the very best TT movie in my opinion.

DanielBrown:
12 Monkeys is my choice.

I don't mean to pick on you two specifically, but anyone who picked 12 Monkeys should be ashamed of themselves! Not only was it dull, drawn out, too dark and a complete waste of the awesomesauce that is the Willis, but the original short film it is based on had a much, MUCH more atmospheric feel to it, and unlike the tripe that 12 Monkeys was, La Jetee told you everything you needed to know, and got the entire story wrapped up nicely in just 25 minutes! And without that absurd mental institution scene to boot! Have a look for yourselves, then hang your heads in shame!

/rant.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!!!
I don't see how you can possibly call 12 Monkeys dull or drawn out compared to that 25 minute snore-fest. The only thing I'm ashamed of is actually sitting through the whole thing. I'm not saying time travel movies should look like they were directed by Micheal Bay, but I'd appreciate at least a little production value you know.
And what exactly makes this more atmospheric? The fact that it's in black and white? Come on, how pretentious do you have to be to pretend to enjoy this over the rich inventive visuals of 12 Monkeys, especially in the future scenes. Terrence Gilliam is a master of visual aesthetics, 12 monkeys may not be the best example of his talent but it's still leaps and bounds over most boring uninspired sci-fi flicks in terms of atmosphere.

In fact, I believe you've made me realize what it is about 12 Monkey's that I like so much, it has the creativity and boldness of vision we typically associate with an art film with the large budget and production value of a hollywood blockbuster. That's just something you don't see much, and 12 Monkeys totally benefits from both.

And don't attack the mental institution scene. The main characters uncertainty of his own sanity throughout the film and lingering doubt over whether the future memories are even real is one of the best parts of that movie. It's in many ways reminiscent of The Shining or the ending to Inception where we don't even know if we can trust what we're seeing to be anything more than the protagonists imagination. Just another way in Which 12 Monkeys is more conceptually interesting than this little slideshow. And don't even get me started on all the nature and religious symbolism in 12 Monkeys which this little terd obvious has none of.

Sorry to shit all over the thing you like, but you did do that to me and several other people, so I don't think it's exactly unfair. I suppose this little short film works to some degree in it's own minimalistic way. judged purely on it's own accord I can see what some (very patient) people could like about it and how it could inspire a full feature length film, I just wouldn't go around comparing the two side by side if I were you.

TheIronRuler:
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo, Looper had one good concept but when you try and put it in the real world you have to ask - why the fuck won't they do the infinite other activities you can do with this device? I mean - it's already illegal, what's stopping people (criminals) from doing what the hell they wanted? It's so narrow in the way it looks at the concept.

12 Monkeys was just an evil movie.
Planet of the Apes made little sense to me.
Terminator was the epiphany of a mediocre movie made on a flimsy budget (Thus making it even more awesome) getting over-hyped and having three more sequels added to it after it became a bloody cult classic.
Primer had a very neat system but suffered a bit from its structure. Yes, not exploding car chases and titties flying around, but it still lacked something.
StarTrek? seriously?

How was 12 Monkeys evil?

That film is amazing, gotta love Gilliam.

Edit: And while I voted for 12 Monkeys, I'm doing a write in right now for Donnie Darko. Sure, maybe it's not about time travel, maybe it is, maybe it's about nothing, maybe it's about everything, and that's why I'm voting for it!

Edit of an Edit: Also... while we're talking Gilliam and Time travel.. my mind is blown that Time Bandits isn't on that list.. Honestly that MAY be the best time travel movie ever.

Zachary Amaranth:
No Bill And Ted? No sale!

Boo!

Wow, I was so certain that would be on the list I didn't even bother checking for it. Surely nobody could create a list of time travel films and not include that little gem. I'm shocked.

Also, this just occurred to me but Prince of Persia is essentially a time travel movie as well. I can understand OP overlooking that one though.

Zack Alklazaris:
The original Time Machine was one of my favorites. It detailed changes in time and showed how much things can change in 100 years. Love it.

Course I'm a science geek so it may not appeal to everyone.

Oh god yes, I forgot about this film. So great!

Twelve Monkeys for me, Bill and Ted's excellent adventure is very close second. Time Splitters for best gtame, and Cashback is a great time-stop rather than travel film.

I thought Planet of the Apes was a 'sleep for hundreds of years, then wake up in the future' movie, not a time travel movie. But I vote Back to the Future, mostly because they made a 50s movie, a sci-fi 50s movie, and a western, all in the same series. I can just imagine a committee trying to figure out what to do for the third movie, and someone was like "we have a time machine, we can do whatever the hell we want!"

OlasDAlmighty:
You did NOT just create a thread about time travel movies and leave out The Time Machine.

(snip)

I also liked a little film called Time Crimes, a low budget flick that explores the concept quite interestingly with several cool twists and things that require re-watching. The hard part of recommending a time travel movie is often that it's hard to explain what's good about it without spoiling all the neat twists and that's definitely true of Time Crimes. Let's just say the protagonist becomes his own worst enemy. (...)

Aye, I very much liked the first Back to the Future movie, but my all-time true love is with The Time Machine (1960) with Rod Taylor. It's still one of my favourite movies. the 2002 abomination should be dumped in some landfill. It doesn't matter that H. G. Wells' great-grandson is somehow involved, idiotism can happen in the best families. I love me some Guy Pierce, but even his bod and mug can't lift this total turd of a movie out of its self-dug hole.

Cronocrimenes (2007, "Time Crimes") also happens to be one of my favourite time travel movies... as is Donnie Darko. Both of them came totally out of left field for me and I've grown quite fond of both of them. Tragic and, at times, violent in nature, but so jock full of laughs and maybe a tear and a shudder of udder confusion at times. Splendid movies, those.

Beware!!! - there's said to be a remake of Cronocrimenes in the works. Not sure if that's really the case, but if you do like time travel movies and don't develop aneurysms or cancer when watching original, non-remade, non-english movies, do treat yourself to Cronocrimenes. At times we really couldn't properly decide if we should be raging, crying or laughing our tits off. It's really a jolly good one, that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here