43.8% (112)
43.8% (112)
Stay As Long As Your Parents Will Have You
4.3% (11)
4.3% (11)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How Old Before You Move Out?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Question for people (explanation later for people who actually read the OP): How old should a person be before they move out? 16? 18? 21? When they can provide for themselves? Or is it okay to never leave?

I live in the U.S. I am 25. I get SSI (severe Asperger's), not really enough to live on. I have a 10-hour a week job, earning just under $70 a week. I pay rent to my step-mom, pay my car payment, pay my insurance. With rent, car, and insurance (the mandatory expenses) I would be able to afford a small, cheap, crappy apartment in the dangerous area of the city... and that's about it. I want to move out to avoid the stigma of living with your parents.

What does the Escapist think? How young is too young, or how old is too old?

I moved out when I was 18 and I think I'm better off for it. Granted I was in a slightly different position to you from a monetary standpoint because I was getting $18 an hour as a forklift driver so I could afford rent.

Given the current job market, I can't help but think people under the age of say... 28 shouldn't feel bad if they are in a situation where they have to live with their parents. I was fed the same bullshit about "make sure you go to college, you don't want to be flipping burgers at McDonalds, do you?" every goddamn day of my life in high school. They're not technically wrong, but the ending should read "... flipping burgers at McDonalds... for the rest of your life, do you?" With a degree you're not damned to doing that the rest of your life, but you may need to for a year or so just to get by. It sucks, believe me I know it, but if you need to cut on expenses, sometimes the best way to do that is cut your rent by moving back in with your family for a year or two. Unless you already possess a valid skill by the time you're 18, good luck trying to make enough to live on your own, or even with roommates if you live in a city.

So while 18 worked for me because of that benefit of having a skill, move out when you can feasibly support yourself.

it really depends on the current situation...like if your over a certain age and have a job it really is about time

(not directed at OP because I dont know their cirsumstance) but I honestly find it a little pathetic somone my age has all their cooking/cleaning/laundry done for them..I mean seriously grow the fuck up *grumble*

that said personally I dont know if Ive technically "moved out" yet...I live independantly yes, however my parents own the house...which means I pay low rent (I do pay rent though) so yeah...not sure what you'd call that

LoathsomePete:

Given the current job market, I can't help but think people under the age of say... 28 shouldn't feel bad if they are in a situation where they have to live with their parents. I was fed the same bullshit about "make sure you go to college, you don't want to be flipping burgers at McDonalds, do you?" every goddamn day of my life in high school. They're not technically wrong, but the ending should read "... flipping burgers at McDonalds... for the rest of your life, do you?" With a degree you're not damned to doing that the rest of your life, but you may need to for a year or so just to get by. .

its funy how they stress certain jobs are beneith us...yet in reality almost ANYONE has taken or has to take such a job to get income...

Vault101:
..uhhh...what?

if you ahve a 10 hour a day job and are earning around $70 a week SOMETHING IS VERY VERY WRONG

lets say the minimum in America was $5 (which its actually more) a 10 hour day thats $50 a day...which is $250 a week (5 days)

seriously wtf...your not some sweatshop worker in a 3rd world country...

anyway..

it really depends on the current situation...like if your over a certain age and have a job it really is about time

(not directed at OP because I dont know their cirsumstance) but I honestly find it a little pathetic somone my age has all their cooking/cleaning/laundry done for them..I mean seriously grow the fuck up *grumble*

that said personally I dont know if Ive technically "moved out" yet...I live independantly yes, however my parents own the house...which means I pay low rent (I do pay rent though) so yeah...not sure what you'd call that

LoathsomePete:

Given the current job market, I can't help but think people under the age of say... 28 shouldn't feel bad if they are in a situation where they have to live with their parents. I was fed the same bullshit about "make sure you go to college, you don't want to be flipping burgers at McDonalds, do you?" every goddamn day of my life in high school. They're not technically wrong, but the ending should read "... flipping burgers at McDonalds... for the rest of your life, do you?" With a degree you're not damned to doing that the rest of your life, but you may need to for a year or so just to get by. .

its funy how they stress certain jobs are beneith us...yet in reality almost ANYONE has taken or has to take such a job to get income...

10 hours a week at $8 an hour = $80, with $8 taken out for taxes = $72. Just saying.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

10 hours a week at $8 an hour = $80, with $8 taken out for taxes = $72. Just saying.

sorry...I misread

derp

Vault101:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

sorry...I misread

derp

No problem, happens to everyone.

PS: Sorry about Mortai. Didn't always agree with him, but a good poster. The banhammer is cold, unfeeling, and does not see right and wrong. It just IS.

Well in your situation I don't think you're in any position to move out. You already pay rent and everything else except your in a fairly safe home I'd think.

No reason to leave just because it's the thing everybody does. I only moved out at 19 because I had a good, stable job and a friend to room with right away. If I HAD to go back home I would.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

No problem, happens to everyone.

PS: Sorry about Mortai. Didn't always agree with him, but a good poster. The banhammer is cold, unfeeling, and does not see right and wrong. It just IS.

it its......the law

Vault101:

I don't think it does, really. "Move out" is pretty explicitly about moving out. You have to have the money to do it, really. I know someone who works full time, but only at $10/hour. She clears about 300/week. Even if she spent half her monthly income on rent, she'd have to split a 2-bedroom with someone to afford not to live in a serious ghetto. A studio apartment is a decent neighborhood costs about $1000/month, so most people in NJ don't move out until their late 20's.

I 'left home' when I was starting university at 21. But I would still go home every weekend to get my laundry done, 'steal' food and work (I had a weekend job in the town my parents live in).

I didn't officially get my own place until I was 30 got a full-time job and bought my own apartment. Though in between the start of the first and second fase I became more selfsufficient, got a part time job in the town I lived in and got my own washing machine.

EDIT: I picked 'whenever you get a job', but meant to pick 'provide for yourself'.

Depends on the situation and where you live, really. I'm living at home right now, but I'm also in college and I'm mostly un-employed (I work at GameStop, but it's not a living wage, per say.) The main perk of living on your own is the freedom, but if you don't mind having a few rules laid out for you then living at home is perfectly fine until you hit 30, at the most. I'm looking for a way out, though, so it all depends.

i was 16 when i moved out, but seriously, it was way too young, it's better if you finish school and get a stable job first. but for most people, mid 20's is the max before you move out...

Well,our hated overlord "Dave", has recently suggested that people should stay at home until they're 25 so now people have Prime Ministerial backing to stay at home.

Personally I moved out in stages, like I think a lot of people do. As soon as I finished school I went to live in my girlfriends flat (government issue) while I got a full time but low paid job. But it was still close to my parents so when we'd inevitably spent all our money on drugs I'd go and do washing there and pilfer food. When that all went to shit I decided to go to uni and not having money to pay for the courses and live at the same time I moved back in with my parents for the duration. Afterwards I moved 300 miles away and again moved into my new girlfriends flat (government isssue) while I etc etc. This time my parents weren't close by so when we'd inevitably etc etc we were fucked. After that all went to shit I moved into my own flat in another town. So by the time I was earning and also paying rent on my own place I was about 26-27, I can't remember that clearly as it was all a bit hazy TBH.

My sister OTOH pulls down 30k a year and still lives at home (28/9 IIRC).

Really, mid twenties is ok, don't fuck yourself over just to avoid the stigma of living with your parents. Though if it's really getting to you it might be better for your mental health. Also don't be too quick to write off "bad areas" I've lived in a few and never had any problems although it helps to be familiar with a few locals first.

I will move out next year. I just turned 20. So I will move out at 20!

I'm 21 and am in absolutely no position to be moving anywhere; I live in the country so I have to run a car to even have the possibility of finding a job; I work a few hours a week as a music tutor but that about breaks even with petrol costs, and I have to declare it against JSA; evens out to about 40 a week, and seems like the only possibility of obtaining any job stability is to go for apprenticeships, which pay between 80-100 a week, before travel costs and tax, which would bring that down to about 40-60 per week, for one or two years before the possibility of a permanent job.

So...yeah. No shame.

Considering the arse fell out of the economy here the earliest I could be moving out of parents house is when I am 25.

Short of winning the lottery of course but that would involve buying a ticket.

I first moved out when I was 18. Wasn't because I felt pressure or anything, my mum was reluctant to let me go but couldn't stop me.
I didn't have a job but moved in with my partner at the time and his room-mate (who was cheating the benefits system and receiving roughly 1k a month in benefits so could afford most things. Twat.)
I was on JSA for about 12 weeks until I found a job and could pay my own way and save up to move out.

I don't say there's a certain age you should move out, although it does annoy me when people don't want any responsibility or independence in your later years. I'll use my ex as an example, he's 25 and still lives under mummy's thumb by sounds of it. If mummy says no more Internet after 11pm then that's it. Mummy tells him (or used to) tell him who he can and can't see and still expected him to give her loads of money but never gave him any independence.
It shows a lack of backbone to me, and it's harder for when you do move out or if something were to happen to your parents.

If you live with your parents now but had to move out next week and wouldn't end up dying within the first hour alone (you know how to cook basic food, how to clean up, how to at least attempt to do laundry) then that's good. But those people who still act like kids and never get off their lazy arses to do stuff for themselves, it's pathetic in my opinion.

I left home at 17, moved back three years later. Left again at 22 and moved back in pretty much dead on a year later. Left again at 26 and moved back in at 30. Finally at 32 had saved enough to buy a house and now have no need to ever move back, hopefully. I did go through a few jobs between 17 and 26 and they were usually on farms out west where housing was provided so once the work ran out or I quit I didn't have much other choice but to move back while I looked for more work.
Pretty much took me from the age of 26 to save for the deposit on my house, so it wasn't as though I was blowing all my cash on hookers and cocaine and just living the high life at my parents expense.
Funny how times change, many years ago multiple generations would happily live in the same house I spose its just not socially acceptable for that now days. I say if someone and their parents are happy with the arrangement they can live there as long as they want.

I left home when I went to university at 19. I had a job lined up before I finished university, so was able to move straight into a flat with my boyfriend.

My younger sister (22) has also finished university but is back living at home while she "builds her book" doing low-paid work placements in ad agencies. It's pretty much the only way into the industry, so my parents are happy to let her live rent-free until she manages to secure a proper job.

I'm not sure there's a "correct" age to have moved out by. It depends what sort of job you 're aiming to get. Some jobs (like medicine) require more time spent in full-time education, while others (like journalism) are easiest to get if you do unpaid work placements first.

But if you're still living rent-free at home by the time you're 30, you might want to consider whether you need to change your tactics or goals. It doesn't seem fair to remain a financial burden on your parents as they near retirement.

You leave when you are capable of taking care of yourself and achieving whatever your future pursuits may be but in the meantime try to put as little stress on your family and remain as independent in terms of money and doing your own housework as you can for practice.

For me personally I will move out when I am prepared. I am 20 right now and saving up for a year of housing in Vancouver with a job that will transfer with me to there when I go. During that year I will go to college to refine my 3D modeling and animation skills.

In the meantime I am working 25-28 hours a week, living with my parents, paying half of the power bill, internet, and gas now that I had to put my motorcycle away for the winter. Furthermore I buy all of my own food and store it in my own fridge. Additionally I wash most of my clothes in a public Laundry Mat. Given my relatively low impact presence I do not pay any rent.

I plan on leaving late 2013 to early 2014 in order to make sure I am financially sound when I go and can support myself. The college will be an excruciating financial dept but it is a risk I am willing to take to ensure I job that not only will I excel at but wake up every day (hyperbole) excited for work.

Personally if I could find an animation studio that does not ask that you have 2-3 years of commercial experience for internship instead then I would move out within the next few months if they accept me full time.

I'm 23, and still live at home. I pay for car insurance, my phone bill and I pay my mom and her boyfriend rent. I make just over$8.50 at my job, but drive an hour to college twice a week (so 4 hours total)) I hope that once I graduate I can find a teaching job and move out. However, with the crap economy, it is hard to say.

I moved out when I was 17 for college. I wouldn't recommend that to everyone, but it worked quite well for me.

Like Kakulukia, I moved out of home at 17 to go to uni. It was a bit hard the first year, money-wise, but it worked out.

I think it's a situational thing, of course. If you have reasonable income and aren't actively studying, then you should almost certainly leave home. If you're working through a Master's or something and need the headspace to focus on that, maybe stay at home a little longer.

I am 22, living with my parents and lost my job 5 months ago due to cutbacks. I pay them as much rent as I can from my JSA and am looking for any kind of work that will take me. Only problem is that so is everybody else my age so I am getting nowhere. My parents are cool with me staying with them but they want to move soon to somewhere near Bristol, which is a good 3 hours away from where we live now and the job market is worse up there than it is where we are now. I have a friend who has a stedy job and is willing to rent a place with me but he will only wait so long which is fair. I have maybe 8-9 weeks before he starts looking for a place and about 9-10 months before my parents start looking to move. With the economy the way it is I am not holding my breath.

Well I'm gonna be moving out towards the end of next year for University hopefully, so if all goes well I'll be 19 when I move out.

It totally depends on your situation and culture, as well as what your parent's home is like.

The brother of my best friend never moved out, because he is set to take over the family farm gradually, eventually the parents will move out.

I moved on my own when I was 18 because I started university in another city.

Job market sucks in North America right now. Wages are not keeping up with inflation and landlords still think people are rolling in money like they were in the 80s. I moved out when I was 18. Not because I financially could but because of my batshit insane step mother. Best choice I ever made.

I don't see how someone could live on 280.00/month without help. While I am certain Aspergers is not the easiest thing to live with especially with a narrow focus of interest it allows there must still be a career path of some kind that you can follow to have an income. I would suggest trying to get the schooling you need to pursue this while your parents are still able to help you. They will not be around forever and the disability check will be no easier in 20 years than it is now.

I left when I went to college. Since it was 1200 miles away from where my parents lived I had to move out. I was 20.

Now I am married and live with my mother in law... economy is crap. Sigh... can't think of a more degrading event for a husband/wife than being forced to move in with relatives parents.

I was 14 when I moved out of my parents house and in with my girlfriend at the time (she was 17 and had a bedsit).

Lived with her for a year until we split then moved in with a friend.

A year after that I joined the army.

I've worked since I was 13 so I had money. I had a milk round, paper round and did glass collecting at my brothers pub. Doesn't seem like much but I was earning 95 a week at 13 which was enough to get by in the early 90's.

In England there is a very large percentage of people from 20-40 who are still living with their parents, and unless someone in my family dies (I hope not) or wins the lottery, I will be exactly the same.

The average deposit for a mortgage over here is 3 times the average salary before tax - this is simply unachievable for most people. With the cost of living ever increasing the time it would take to be able to afford a deposit for a place, let alone any furnishing etc is not measured in not years but decades.

You can rent, of course - but rent prices are vastly over inflated, and often cost the same or more than mortgage payments would cost, assume of course that you could get the deposit together.

I personally can't see the point of renting some place while my parents are happy to have me. I could instead be saving as much money as possible while I am still young (and living at home is acceptable) to save for a deposit for when I can afford to move out/I feel I cannot possibly live at home any longer.

There is no single answer to this question since it varries depending on where you live, your economic circumstances and so on and so forth. While in one country it might be perfectly reasonable to expect people to move out at 18, somewhere else it might be quite normal to stay with your parents until you start a family of your own, maybe even after that simply because of how the housing market is set up (is renting affordable and reliable or not? is buying a place on credit affordable? etc.), the salaries, employment and so on and so forth.

I'm from Croatia, a small European country. I'm 27 right now, I'm living with my parents and I'll likely stay there for at least several more years. I moved out when I was 19, but I had to sell my apartment and move back in with my parents 4 years later when my mother lost her job and they nearly lost their house. At the moment I'm still living with them simply because it would be a massive waste of money to try living alone simply for the sake of living alone. Also, both of my partents are sick at the moment and need me to help them out.

If my income ever gets to the point where I can pay rent for a decent apartment and still have enough money to live a decent life, I'll likely have enough money to get credit and buy my own place. That's just how the housing market happens to be in my country. Renting a place is mostly a waste since the rent on an appartment is around the same as a monthly credit payment would be for such an apartment, meaning that renting is a waste of money and/or a short term solution. On the other hand, I know that in many countries renting is the norm while owning an apartment is rare.

Among my friends, almost everyone either lives with their parents, inherited an apartment from a family member or had his/her parents buy them a place. And these are lawyers, engineers, programmers and such, people with decent salaries, not no-life-no-job losers who won't get out of their mothers' basements. This is the norm in my country and it's the result of the local economic conditions.

I moved out 3 weeks ago, and I turned 18 in August. Whey.

I plan to be gone by the time I'm 19 (18 at the moment). Since (hopefully) early next year I'll be in Basic training, after all that I'll be posted and moved wherever I'm told.

I moved out about two weeks after turning 19. Don't quite get the stigma associated with living with your parents (so long as you're not just mooching).

Does Uni count as moving out? I moved out of my parents house, went to Uni for 3 years and now Im living with my girlfriends parents hoping to go to medical school next year. After that we will get our own place. I suppose as I'm not living with my parents it counts as moving out. I think without Uni I would probably still be living at home though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked