Seriously, WHY Do People Consider The Star Wars Prequels to be Horrendous?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Slycne:
Here's the thing, yes the prequels work on a "eh, they're mediocre/not great but fun level." The problem is that if you dig into them even a little they start to fall apart on so many levels.

It's really stupid things too, even basic plot issues. Like for example, why did the droid army land on the opposite side of Naboo? It's already established that Naboo has practically no military to speak of. They have bloody spaceships, they could have landed right next to the capitol. The only reason for this is that the writers backed themselves into a corner of needing to get the jedi to meet the Gungan and travel through the center of a planet.

These things litter the whole prequel trilogy, and once you start to notice them it takes it's toll.

I wonder why that happened...

Well, I like the prequels. There's an overflowing amount of nostalgia involved in that sentence, but I like them. I also like the original trilogy. I've tried to be objective when watching the prequels to get a grasp of the reason behind all the hatred, but they really aren't THAT bad. Certainly not horrendous. There are flaws, sure, but I've yet to see a flawless, perfect movie.

I don't care what anyone says, the worst movie by far was Return of the Jedi.

Seriously, screw those ewoks.

Well, I think it would have made perfect sense to have Luke, well aged, take the place of wise old Jedi Master and welcome the new millenium by just, you know, adding a chapter to what could have been an ever-growing Star Wars universe.

Instead, Lucas opted for prequels, pretty much pissing on his own oeuvre. It's as if the original trilogy was the brainchild of somebody completely different, and Lucas is working hard on ruining everything. Hardly anything makes sense in the prequels, hardly any character is memorable. Whoever came up with the midichlorians nonsense should be hanged, gibbeted and beheaded.

I remember Lucas praising the new tech and promising great fun to be had with the Jar Jar Binks character, and then just about every Jar Jar binks figurine, plush doll or other merchandise related to Binks threatened to drown every Toys'R'Us I've been to... while prices for the little Darth Maul doll pretty much instantly shot up to ninety dollars. I don't have a major in economy, but there's something wrong with that, well beyond the fact that Darth Maul dies in the very same movie he first popped up in - in a well underwhelming ballet fight bordering on the silly and stupid.

Let me spell it out: Even Spaceballs showed more respect for the source material than the prequels did.

None of the 'made-up' characters make any sense, and just about everything is inconsistent - not only in regards to the original trilogy, but even within the bounds of the prequel trilogy. It just feels like an old, filthy rich, well deranged man paid a bunch of typewriter monkeys to come up with random stuff, and he really wanted to play Barbie with Natalie Portman.

From the get-go, Episode 1, the fourth, retconned first movie in a trilogy of six, feels like a commercial peddling stuff. Why do we have a kid race a pod? So we feel an urge to go out and buy Pod Racer, of course!

Apart from raping his own work to bloody lumps and tears, it feels as if George Lucas just plain didn't get why the first, real, genuine, proper trilogy was so successful. In a futile attempt to deconstruct it, take it apart and understand it, he just plain broke it.

Wow, I told Guppy this would come to a bad end. As I said in the referenced quotes at the beginning of all this, I found them to be horribly uneven from scene to scene. I actually liked the pod race. It was loud and obnoxious but it was good matinee cinema. I loved Ewan Mcgregor as a young, cocky Obi Wan and Liam Neeson is like bacon, good in everything. I liked the fights at the ends of the movies and the third one was actually a good popcorn movie. So I didn't think everything about them was bad.
It was just that everything that was bad, was really bad. The writing was painful, ok, painful. The delivery of said writing was also painful, I mean literal pain causing, groan inducing bad. I don't even have to explain what is wrong with Jar Jar. I didn't mind the CGI but there was too much of it. There was action and explosions everywhere so that it just felt like a loud mess at times. So much of it was going on in the second one that I actually felt my self tune it out because there was no point of reference to contrast it to and it was just a lot of visual noise.
On the original movie, so much control was taken from Lucas that in his anger and conceit he bet Spielberg that the movie would flop. That right there should tell you how much influence he should have been allowed in the prequels. He was given total dominion and he showed himself to be a visionary in theory but a hack in practice.

RJ 17:
Why?

Here's why.

Rose-tinted glasses.

Spoiler'd myself for the sake of length-

TL;DR: Star Wars is fun because of the things Lucas didn't have any part in. His own contribution is relatively lacklustre.

At least, in my very humble opinion.

Now Phantom Menace was OK, I got no huge complaints about it. It had some cool scenes and it gave us a little backstory. Then came Episode 2 which just dragged on and on and had some of the most awkward dialogues I have seen. I have watched awful movies that I have watched through because I wanted to see the end of it. If a movie can at least make you interested enough to see how it ends that's something. With Episode 2 I didn't bother. I was interrupted after watching it for what felt like two hours or more by someone coming to visit me. After that I turned it off and I never felt the need to watch the end. I haven't watched the third because of what I felt about the second so I can't say if it was bad or not.

I kinda enjoyed The Phantom Menace.
Attack of the Clones was totally utterly fucking disgraceful
Episode 3 was cool. Well it was when I was....7?

If you like the prequels I feel bad for you son, there's 3 good movies and Star Wars has none.

....because they're bad movies? I mean...I'm not sure how else to say it. They were just...bad.

EP. 1 was by no means "mediocre." It's right up there with AVP2 and Green Lantern in the very small list of movies I just couldn't be bothered to finish watching. Maybe I just have a lower tolerance for mediocrity but it just felt like it was bumbling from scene to scene trying to make a point set by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

EP. 2 probably was mediocre, as I don't remember anything about it.

EP. 3 was aiight. The death scene was indeed utterly stupid for the same reason as the Dr. Ball video pointed out, all that hypothermia and blaster burn curing space medicine and it was powerless against personal inner strength. Once again, I only remember that one, stupid part of the movie, but I remember enjoying it overall.

Hmm, I was too young for seeing both the new and the old trilogy when they came out, so I watched them "in order". So yeah, I can safely say that I hate them, even without nostalgia goggles. (I absolute hate that thing, Jar Jar plus kids in film >:( )
Else than that, the characters are bad. At least the costumes were good. That's about it.

I hadn't watched the Plinkett reviews until I saw this tread. Watched all three last night, it was a better trilogy than the prequels.

I know you said not to use a video, but watch that if you have the time, each one covers why each movie is absolutely fucking terrible very thoroughly and using a good knowledge of the medium of film to show it. Plus at times they are hilarious.

To break it all down: They're VERY poorly written, and like we're talking kids shows would be ashamed of the dialogue, and every shoot is more boring than the last with either too much pointless shit that we don't care about on screen (and we don't care about it because the actor's don't care, and they don't care because half the shit they can't see) or with characters just sitting down and FUCKING TALKING IN A TWO SHOT.

Seriously, I always knew they were bad, couldn't quite put my finger on it, now I can thanks to those very long but very enjoyable reviews. Also using the footage from behind the scenes it paints this interesting picture of everyone around George Lucas, I already had this image of him being a Vader/Citizen Kane archetype, but I hadn't really thought about all the yes men he had surrounded himself with, and in the footage you can clearly see some of their sour facial expressions as he explains his 'ideas' to them.

It all becomes so clear now looking back. I had as a boy wondered why the people in those meetings weren't more excited, "I mean it's STAR WARS!" Young me thought. Now all this time later it's clear why they weren't excited, "It's fucking Star Wars..." an older more educated me says.

So I've got a question for OP: Have you been persuaded yet or do you still think the Prequels are getting a bad rap?

Well they are monumentally mediocre and stale, really.

I mean they are objectively WORSE films out there, it is relatively easy to sit through the Prequel Trilogy much like how you could watch the latest season of The Simpsons. It's not offensive to the eyes but there is so little to them, so soulless, so creatively bankrupt. The spark is gone, all the intellectual property is there but none of the talent.

But the problem is the attention they do get... rather than a direct-to-DVD-to-bargin-bin treatment is the problem. The problem is they are adding to such loved character and lore.

Red Letter Media's infamous review made this clear, they are not horrible movies, but they are horrible prequels. They are a horrible missed opportunity, they are a masterclass in how to be a good film-maker by comparing and contrasting the Original to the Prequel trilogy.

Now Indy 4, THAT was a horrible movie, It's painful to watch Shia Le Bouf tarzan swing with monkeys, to see Harrison Ford forced to go through this crap. I can't bear to watch that again. At least the prequel trilogy is almost enduringly naff and predictably stale and contradictory. Commentary tracks of the prequel trilogies is somewhat fun as it reminds you in so many ways of how The Original tilogy did it right while Prequel Trilogy didn't do anything.

Lets count the ways:

1)Its badly written regardless if they have a Star Wars continuity to mantain, you may name it "Generic SCI-FI Movie Nš3532" and still suck.
2)It overuses special effects to the point that is all there is. And even contradicts what Young Lucas said a long time ago "Special Effects are just tools, a mean to tell a story. People tend to confuse them as the whole point of making a movie. Special effects without a story is a pretty boring thing"
3)George had full control over the production of the prequels, and one would think that such power will allow him to make a superior movie without the constrains that made the first 3 original movies. People were wrong.

PS: You watched Movie Bob? people still listen to him after failing all gamers in a time of need?

"Perfectly enjoyable/acceptable", "decent popcorn flick", "mediocre" - slight paraphrasing there. This and things like this uttered a dozen times throughout this thread. I won't even get into the hilariously condescending and confirmation bias in text, "it's better than you guys think it is" notion, but what the hell do some of you people think constitutes a bad movie in your heads? Something that, on top of being completely devoid of substance and craftsmanship, also doesn't have shiny things thrown at the screen every 10 seconds? Are explosions where the line is bloody drawn?

Also, how about instead of trying to dismiss the handy hour+/movie reviews, you try to tell us that the critique is wrong and point out where the flaws of reasoning lie.

Edit: To the OP. The prequels are fucking awful. This has nothing to do with me having seen the old movies, because I watched them as a kid over a decade ago. These films suck shit through a straw all on their own.

Watch the reviews, try to debunk them.

IamLEAM1983:

The best Star Wars is "A New Hope".

You are of course wrong, sir, the best Star Wars is Empire Strikes Back, followed by Return of the Jedi, followed by A New Hope. Of course, the main thing that made the Original Trilogy good was that it wasn't all Lucas; he took quite a back seat while V and VI were being made. Come the prequel trilogy, he had protection from editors, and that meant that the first draft of his work got put through.

Honestly, I thought the scripts were mediocre at best, even the novels had me scratching my head a little at the time... but I could have overlooked that and still enjoyed the movies immensely if there had been on-screen chemistry between the actors where the story demanded it. Unfortunately, the only people in the whole damn trilogy that had any chemistry going were Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson with the whole master/student thing (so yes, despite Jar-Jar, I consider the Phantom Menace to be the best of the prequel movies... and I find that sad). The rest of it just felt lifeless, which managed to take scripts that had the potential to be good (though not great) movies and turn them into piles of steaming shit.

kortin:
I love the prequels.

I was so unbearably bored with the original trilogy. The only good thing about it was Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford's acting.

How old are you?....... I feel I must ask.

I didn't find them engaging. I didn't root for anyone, I didn't care what happened to these people. It was just some people doing stuff. Like a short footnote describing what happened before the original movies, but stretched out over 3 movies.

In the originals, you had Luke. He was a normal farmer who got thrown into an adventure, and you could relate to him, because you knew as much about the world as him.
On the other hand, Anakin was either a little kid or an evil, reckless teenager with troubling political views, neither of which are particularly relatable.

MorganL4:

kortin:
I love the prequels.

I was so unbearably bored with the original trilogy. The only good thing about it was Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford's acting.

And they're still boring as fuck. There is absolutely nothing good about the original trilogy except for Hamill and Ford.

Casual Shinji:
In a nutshell, it forgot what made the original movies so charming.

We have three movies filled with bland uninteresting characters who have zero chemistry with one another, to a point where we have to be told what their relationship is. Anakin and Padme are supposedly desperately in love, and the way the movies show this is by having them be in romantic settings together. That's all we get. Anakin acts like a weird creep around Padme the whole of the second movie, and by the end she's magically in love with him just cuz.
Then we have Anakin and Obi Wan who are apparently close friends, yet all they do is complain and be irritated by one another.

What made the original films charming was that Lucas had people who were allowed to tell him "No, that's a fucking terrible idea."

Now that he's a huge deal nobody is allowed to do that anymore, and those films are what happened.

Or that's how it was explained to me at some point. Might be entirely false but seems plausible.

Ieyke:

You're going to the special hell. They remodeled to make space just for you and your kind. It's now for child molesters, people who talk during movies, and people who think the Star Wars prequels were good while the originals sucked.

Hell is too good for people who talk during films. There needs to be somewhere darker and more agonizing.

Even Satan has standards.

You mean George Lucas.

Ieyke:
You mean George Lucas.

You didn't quote me but I assume you meant my mistake :P.

I fixed it, its kind of hard to separate the two since they are basically two sides of the same coin.

Ieyke:
You're going to the special hell. They remodeled to make space just for you and your kind. It's now for child molesters, people who talk during movies, and people who think the Star Wars prequels were good while the originals sucked.

First off, thanks for the insult, I appreciate it.

Secondly, I never said the prequels were good. I said I liked them more. The Originals bored me out of my mind. There was nothing going on, the story was uninteresting and there was nothing to make me care about it, and the only good things about them were Hamill and Ford. What makes me like the prequels more are the explosions and special effects.

kortin:

MorganL4:

kortin:
I love the prequels.

And they're still boring as fuck. There is absolutely nothing good about the original trilogy except for Hamill and Ford.

Thats what I thought, born in 1994....... That would mean you were 5 when episode 1 came out. In other words, unlike the majority of people who are ranting and raving about the horrifying thing that is SW Episodes 1-3, you never got to grow up with the originals and get past the fact that you were seeing sub-par 1970's and 80's graphics and become invested in the story.... You were 5 years old when Jar Jar ( a giant orange bunny rabbit) stepped in doo doo... You were 5 years old when a bunch of guys were doing acrobatics with lazer swords...... Anyone who sees things like that at the age of 5 is going to look back at it fondly.... Hell it's probably why I still enjoy Space Jam (although now I recognize it as the marketing ploy it actually was, but it's still fun for me).

And at the age of 5, if you were to watch all that cool lazer sword acrobatics and flashy space battles and then go watch something like a sci fi flick with 20 year old graphics.... yeah you are gonna look at it as boring and campy.

MorganL4:
Thats what I thought, born in 1994....... That would mean you were 5 when episode 1 came out. In other words, unlike the majority of people who are ranting and raving about the horrifying thing that is SW Episodes 1-3, you never got to grow up with the originals and get past the fact that you were seeing sub-par 1970's and 80's graphics and become invested in the story.... You were 5 years old when Jar Jar ( a giant orange bunny rabbit) stepped in doo doo... You were 5 years old when a bunch of guys were doing acrobatics with lazer swords...... Anyone who sees things like that at the age of 5 is going to look back at it fondly.... Hell it's probably why I still enjoy Space Jam (although now I recognize it as the marketing ploy it actually was, but it's still fun for me).

And at the age of 5, if you were to watch all that cool lazer sword acrobatics and flashy space battles and then go watch something like a sci fi flick with 20 year old graphics.... yeah you are gonna look at it a boring and campy.

Actually, I didn't see the prequels until I was 14. I knew they were subpar, and the fact that they are still much more entertaining than the original trilogy is just sad. So how about we stop assuming shit and stick to reality.

The Original Trilogy was utter garbage and Lucas knows it. That's why he invested so much in graphics and special effects in the Prequels, because he knows he can't write a good story, so he might as well make it entertaining to watch. How about we take off those rose-tinted glasses now, eh?

Edit: In fact, now that I think about it, in addition to not seeing them until I was 14, I actually am fairly certain I saw the original trilogy first as well. So there goes your theory.

theultimateend:

Casual Shinji:
In a nutshell, it forgot what made the original movies so charming.

We have three movies filled with bland uninteresting characters who have zero chemistry with one another, to a point where we have to be told what their relationship is. Anakin and Padme are supposedly desperately in love, and the way the movies show this is by having them be in romantic settings together. That's all we get. Anakin acts like a weird creep around Padme the whole of the second movie, and by the end she's magically in love with him just cuz.
Then we have Anakin and Obi Wan who are apparently close friends, yet all they do is complain and be irritated by one another.

What made the original films charming was that Spielberg had people who were allowed to tell him "No, that's a fucking terrible idea."

Now that he's a huge deal nobody is allowed to do that anymore, and those films are what happened.

Or that's how it was explained to me at some point. Might be entirely false but seems plausible.

That, too.

Back then Lucas was still a nobody, who had to fight for his creation. He actually cared about what he was making. Eventhough the first cut of A New Hope was apparently total ass, untill a talented editor managed to squeeze a decent movie out of it.

As soon as everything is handed to you on a silver platter and there's no one around to question your decisions, you become a retard. It's inevitable.

To be fair I can understand why people were pissed off at the Midichlorian things, it ruined the magical feel of it. And yes Jar Jar looking back was annoying (I'll admit I liked him when I was about 5 when Phantom Menace came out). And yes Anakin was whiny-ass bitch.

But to be fair,
in
Phantom Menace: Darth Maul was badass and so was Qui-Gon.

Attack Of The Clones: Yoda had some suprise bouncy ball fighting style against Christopher Lee, it showed you the origin of the Stormtroopers and Boba Fett and Samuel L. Jackson in action.

Revenge Of The Sith:
- I thought Greivous was kind of cool (not amazing just kind of cool, would have been nice to have seen him do a bit more though instead buggering off all the time)
- Yoda v Palpetine, I thought was a good idea
- Showed how Anakin turned to the Dark Side (though I was expecting something a bit more evil)
- I thought it bridged the two trilogies quite well.

Yeah, ok there's a few criticisms and it goes to show the Prequel Trilogy wasn't perfect (it could have been done much more betterer [grammar? =P]) but I personally enjoyed watching them and still do when I feel like watching the whole saga.

This. This this this this this. This, this, this, this this this, a thousand times this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq0wv2ossJU&feature=relmfu&t=05m05s

kortin:

MorganL4:

And at the age of 5, if you were to watch all that cool lazer sword acrobatics and flashy space battles and then go watch something like a sci fi flick with 20 year old graphics.... yeah you are gonna look at it a boring and campy.

Actually, I didn't see the prequels until I was 14. I knew they were subpar, and the fact that they are still much more entertaining than the original trilogy is just sad. So how about we stop assuming shit and stick to reality.

The Original Trilogy was utter garbage and Lucas knows it. That's why he invested so much in graphics and special effects in the Prequels, because he knows he can't write a good story, so he might as well make it entertaining to watch. How about we take off those rose-tinted glasses now, eh?

Pfffft.
Yes, clearly THAT is why the original trilogy is one of the most iconic and beloved things ever put to film.
No, you just have no taste.

I don't even actually like Star Wars very much, and I've certainly never had a rose tinted glasses issue with them (since I saw them all almost at the same time), but I can recognize that the originals were very well written, acted, and put together, while the prequels are ramshackle constructs that were huge wastes of huge budgets.

When I saw these movies for the first times, i realised that, yes, the original trilogy already looked outdated, but I also realized that the prequels were just heaping on as much sparkly special effects crap as they could afford just to hide that the movies were bad.

Ieyke:
Pfffft.
Yes, clearly THAT is why the original trilogy is one of the most iconic and beloved things ever put to film.
No, you just have no taste.

I don't even actually like Star Wars very much, and I've certainly never had a rose tinted glasses issue with them (since I saw them all almost at the same time), but I can recognize that the originals were very well written, acted, and put together, while the prequels are ramshackle constructs that were huge wastes of huge budgets.

When I saw these movies for the first times, i realised that, yes, the original trilogy already looked outdated, but I also realized that the prequels were just heaping on as much sparkly special effects crap as they could afford just to hide that the movies were bad.

The original trilogy only has its fanbase because people make more of it than there is. They see some sort of deepness in the movies that NEVER EXISTED. It's only iconic because of the fans' rabid speculation ('Han shot first', anyone?) and fanboyism.

The Originals were well acted. They had decent actors. The story was borderline meh. The special effects were (understandably so) bad, and it was so incredibly BORING. I couldn't stop yawning when I first saw the original trilogy. Then I managed to get my hands on the prequels and, although still very bored by the story, at least it was, as you say, sparkly with special effects.

Froggy Slayer:

IamLEAM1983:

The best Star Wars is "A New Hope".

You are of course wrong, sir, the best Star Wars is Empire Strikes Back, followed by Return of the Jedi, followed by A New Hope. Of course, the main thing that made the Original Trilogy good was that it wasn't all Lucas; he took quite a back seat while V and VI were being made. Come the prequel trilogy, he had protection from editors, and that meant that the first draft of his work got put through.

I'm not wrong, it's just my opinion. You preferred Empire Strikes Back? That's fine by me. Just don't say I'm wrong, because then someone else could say YOU'RE wrong.

And, well, that's just not how opinions work.

Still in my opinion, that very protection from editors is why the prequels sucked. Lucas is a horrible storyteller. All he has going for him is a vivid imagination. In the best of worlds, someone else would've done a pass on his draft and gone "You know, George? Maybe Gungans aren't such a good idea."

Among other things. Still in my very personal opinion, it seems clear that he'd lost all sense of scale and distance in regards to Star Wars and its universe. The prequels were about GCI and easy money. Period.

Champthrax:
I don't care what anyone says, the worst movie by far was Return of the Jedi.

Seriously, screw those ewoks.

Now that's a sentiment I don't get. Yes, the ewoks were cute, cuddly childbears for kids, but unlike most cute, cuddly childbears for kids, these ones died. You got to see cute bears screaming in pain, smoldering and quivering in death throes. The gungans weren't even half as cute and cuddly, and we never got to see one die.

Were ewoks the "correct" choice to put into RotJ? Probably not (I can still argue for universe development by showing primitive races that don't have laser blasters as a good thing, especially in light of the prequels), but saying that their inclusion dropped the bar that low is ignoring some other egregious choices in the next 3 movies.

kortin:

MorganL4:

Edit: In fact, now that I think about it, in addition to not seeing them until I was 14, I actually am fairly certain I saw the original trilogy first as well. So there goes your theory.

My theory, existed as a way to offer you a way out of being verbally attacked by throngs of bloodthirsty SW fans... You just closed the loop hole. Good Luck......

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked