53.7% (22)
Some old, some new
26.8% (11)
26.8% (11)
Use an established plotline
19.5% (8)
19.5% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Star Wars Episode 7-9, a new story or an existing one?

Yeah yeah, we all and our comatose grandmothers know now.

AHEM

http://www.cracked.com/article/167_5-reasons-star-wars-sequels-would-be-worse-than-prequels/

After reading this and my exploring the wiki on post Episode 6 events, should Disney basically do something completely new or work with established lore?
Or both, like in the Avengers.

I would like them to do completely new lore but I am not a Star wars fan.

I wouldn't mind seeing them set it 500 years after Episode 6 or something so that they have a clean slate to make whatever they want.

I'd support completely new since the Expanded Universe is a really mixed bag, there are good bits (the Cracked article cherry picked the worst parts) but then there's completely ridiculous shit like the Emperor being cloned. I suppose I wouldn't mind them using some material based off an EU story but I wouldn't want them to be limited by the existing material given a good percentage of it should probably be thrown into a roaring fire.

I'd say some old, some new.

There's some good stuff in the Expanded Universe, as well as some ridiculously bad stuff. Use the good stuff as inspiration and leave the bad stuff behind.

I imagine something similar to how comic book movies are done. They're clearly based on and inspired by the comics, but they have their own storyline that (when done well) works for the movies, avoiding the often convoluted comic book history while still containing plenty of references to keep more hardcore fans happy (or as happy as they can be).

Likewise the Star Wars sequels should include events and characters similar to the highlights of the Expanded Universe without getting bogged down in all the crap that inevitably comes when you attempt to continue a story long, long past it's prime.

They apparently have some script treatments from Lucas that came over in the deal for episodes 7-9 that they are "very excited about".

I feel a great disturbance in the force.

I would say something new so that way there shouldn't be that much complains when comparing to the previous films but who am I kidding? Fans/ people always got something to complain in a film!

from what i heard the next is set decades after return so make of that what you will

Disney made the Lion King. I trust them to make a new story and make it golden.

Im a Star Wars Fan since the original movie was released. I hope the new movies will tell a new story and the Expanded Universe will be ignored and even destroyed. The Expanded Universe is silly, full of bad ideas and stories... I would not watch the new trilogy if it includes stuff (and especially characters) from that awful novels. That's not Star Wars, just fanfiction written by professionals.

Something completely new, if nothing more than to destroy the Extended Universe. And I swear, if they have Boba Fett crawling out of the Sarlacc, I will sacrifice a thousand virgins to the Dark God of Chaos in order to bring his holy destruction down upon the world. I swear I'll do it! Luke starting up a New Jedi Order? Yeah, makes sense. Han and Leia's kids going on to greatness, including a couple force users, one turning Sith? Believable. Motherfucking Boba Fett crawling out of the god damned Sarlacc? Someone get me my ritual knife, Armageddon needs to happen.

Two Words: Thrawn Trilogy.

Mods, if someone reports that: there's a lot of meaning in those two words, if you know anything at all about the EU.

The universe of Star Wars is huge! They can easily make a whole new story, maybe decades or centuries forward since episode VI!

But they are dead-set on having Darth Vader in it, that would retcon the damn ending of episode VI. Although if they just had another guy take the mantle of Darth Vader, then that would be interesting.

BloatedGuppy:
They apparently have some script treatments from Lucas that came over in the deal for episodes 7-9 that they are "very excited about".

I feel a great disturbance in the force.

To quote Darth Vader: "Nooooooooooooo!"

They should take the same approach to the expanded universe as the makers of the revived Dr Who took to the New Adventures and Eighth Doctor novels that took place during the hiatus - i.e. cherry pick some good ideas and concepts, but otherwise completely ignore them and do something new that isn't weighed down by decades of convoluted continuity.

And they should take anything they received from Lucas and burn it. Then scatter the ashes. At night. In an unmarked location. Then never speak of it ever again.

Evil Smurf:
Disney made the Lion King. I trust them to make a new story and make it golden.

So we're gonna get Hamlet....IN SPACE!!!!

Owyn_Merrilin:

Mods, if someone reports that: there's a lot of meaning in those two words, if you know anything at all about the EU.

I don't normally post like this, but......THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

If they're going to stick to the EU, anything other than this would be a travesty

Cherry pick the good points out of the EU, come up with a way to tie them together, ignore everything Lucas has said or done since 1985.

In particular, I would like to see some emphasis on storyline concepts from the Thrawn trilogy.

Frankly, I would infinitely prefer to avoid leaving this mess in the hands of a writer who's best reference is f***ing Toy Story 3.

I thought Lucas said he has planned out a story for 9 films from the get go?

aba1:

There was a rough outline done yes. No one I know is going to cry over its loss though, Lucas's story for 7,8,and 9 were by far the weakest of the bunch, which was a large part of why they started in the middle of the series, and then went back to 1,2, and 3.

I recently read the Darth Bane triology and would love to se them make that into one or three movies.
Would explain why there are only two sith and so on.

Owyn_Merrilin:

and luckily, I do.

OT: Do whatever as long as it's good. I want a good star wars movie, not necessarily a faithful one.

aba1:

The guy retcons his "intentions" every year to keep his money-making options open. No over-arching masterpiece. He's making it up as he goes. Like Indy.

That article is bad and you should feel bad for posting it.

The Expanded universe has the occasional bad installment, like every good show has bad episodes, but much of the EU makes brilliant sense in the context of the series. Of course, the prequels changed canon and screwed a few authors over. Like the Clone Wars being an army of Jango clones turned into stormtroopers instead of a Sith army of cloned Republic agents and Jedi.

JoJo:
I'd support completely new since the Expanded Universe is a really mixed bag, there are good bits (the Cracked article cherry picked the worst parts) but then there's completely ridiculous shit like the Emperor being cloned. I suppose I wouldn't mind them using some material based off an EU story but I wouldn't want them to be limited by the existing material given a good percentage of it should probably be thrown into a roaring fire.

I think it's canon though (doesn't forgive it for being bad but...) what WAS Plagueis' secret for preserving life? What would a Sith do to defeat death? Steal a body of course! And what would be more convenient than a series of lab-grown bodies to steal at your leisure? Effective immortality! Perhaps, had Anakin succeeded in killing off the Jedi and Padme not died yet, that's what would've happened. Or it may only work on Force users, in which case it was a mere carrot on a stick regardless, but Anakin wouldn't have known that until he'd gone too far down the path. Which he kind of did.

I say something completely new. One of the things I hated about the EU was the fact that there's crisis after crisis yet it was the same few characters who were always the heroes. Sure you had new guys like Corran Horn and Mara Jade, but there's only so many times Luke Skywalker can be directly involved in saving the galaxy, so if they go with a completely new set of characters I'm all for that. On the other hand episodes I-VI tell a complete story, so to warrant the numbering it should feel like it's continuing that story so who knows how they'll handle that.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked