My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, season 3, episode 1-2. What did you think of it?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So, the premier has come and gone, and the question stands...

What did you think of it? Did you like it, or did you hate it with a fiery passion?

Personally... Yeah, 'twas alright I guess. I didn't think it was particularly stellar, but it wasn't BAD in my opinion. I felt that the songs they did were kind of lame, and I really wanted the villain to have a bit more characterization, as he struck me as REALLY cool. But, overall, I enjoyed it.

How about you?

Weaker than the other two-parters but by no means bad. King Sombra was no Discort but i guess he wasn't supposed to be. But the two-parters were never the highlights of the show anyway.

There's a usergroup for MLP.

This won't end well, it never ends well.

The blood of millions will be on your hands.

I think that this would've been better of in the MLP group *hint hint*

Also, this is, like, news of yesteryear :P

I wished King Sombra was a better villain here; the people behind the show could've stuck with the concept of an unseen abominable horror, but showing him in an actual form would look nice if Sombra's design wasn't so poor. Same with the Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings films; Sauron would've been a great villain if we never see him at all in his humanoid form, because he looks ridiculous when he appears in the beginning of the film.

Still, it was an alright season opener. Pinkie Pie was awesome as usual (why else is she my favorite character in the show), but I think Rainbow Dash acted a bit too jerkass-ish. Hopefully it was just this episode, but I'd hate to see the characters in the show get increasingly flanderized.

Also, GAKKITY GAK.

TheKasp:
I think that this would've been better of in the MLP group *hint hint*

Also, this is, like, news of yesteryear :P

Oh... I wasn't aware.

Daystar Clarion:

So if there's a usergroup for anything you can't post it on the main thread? Come on Daystar, you should know that that's not a very good argument.

erttheking:

Daystar Clarion:

So if there's a usergroup for anything you can't post it on the main thread? Come on Daystar, you should know that that's not a very good argument.

I've been here long enough to know that MLP threads never last long before they descend into flamewars, and considering the new series has just started, expect more threads like this to crop up.

Daystar Clarion:

erttheking:

Daystar Clarion:

I've been here long enough to know that MLP threads never last long before they descend into flamewars, and considering the new series has just started, expect more threads like this to crop up.

Perhaps, but that still doesn't really justify saying "oh you can't talk about this out in the open, people will get angry" that just seems kinda...wrong.

Ldude893:

Also, GAKKITY GAK.

What is Gak? I saw it all over the comments....

OT: I liked it, I knew King Sombra wouldn't top Discord ofcourse but it was still pretty awesome ^^

erttheking:

Daystar Clarion:

erttheking:

Perhaps, but that still doesn't really justify saying "oh you can't talk about this out in the open, people will get angry" that just seems kinda...wrong.

Hey, if it's just this one thread, I got no problem with it.

But both you and I know, that's not what's gonna happen.

Several threads will most likely crop, making the MLP community even less endeared than it already is.

It was pretty good. Not Discord level good, but there are limits to how awesome an episode can be.
I definitely feel like Sombra needed to be fleshed out a bit more. They never gave him a chance to show as much personality as Nightmare Moon, Discord, or Chrysalis.

Pinky isn't usually my fav. pony, but she was awesome. (I want a flugelhorn).

Meh I care not for the first two episodes, for it's always AFTER that when the show really takes off!

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!

Daystar Clarion:

Several threads will most likely crop, making the MLP community even less endeared than it already is.

The mods will deal with it if it's an issue. And I'll take MLP threads over "You wake up as a hippo" threads any day in the off-topic section :D

edit: whoops double post

lRookiel:

Ldude893:

Also, GAKKITY GAK.

Gak was a slime that you could buy in toy stores and just play around with, and I think it was originally by Nickolodeon. It was around when I was a kid, then just disappeared.

roushutsu:

lRookiel:

Ldude893:

Also, GAKKITY GAK.

Gak was a slime that you could buy in toy stores and just play around with, and I think it was originally by Nickolodeon. It was around when I was a kid, then just disappeared.

Still wondering how that relates to MLP but thanks ^^

lRookiel:

It's cause they kept playing the Gak commercials over and over again. From what I'm seeing, it's quickly becoming a meme now. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gak

lRookiel:

roushutsu:

lRookiel:

There was a commercial for it that played four times during the two-parter premiere. If it was deliberate, then it was a genius marketing move, as it's now been splattered all over the Internet as a meme and an inadvertent advert, all free of charge for the makers of Gak!

OT: It was pretty good. Not a patch on the Season 2 opener, but I get the feeling the themes and characters referred to in this episode may be making a comeback. I'm hoping that the shorter season may have encouraged the writers to have a cohesive story arc running across the series. There was way too much foreshadowing for it not to have significant further down the line.

The plot was decent for the first episode and kinda dragged during the parts on the fair (although that was what the small moments of humor were for). Each main character had their own good parts, from the jousting to Pinkie being Pinkie. The only problem I had with it beyond any nit pickingness was the main antagonist for this two parter. As others have said compared to the other two parter villains he is lacking in...well EVERYTHING. He could of just been a big cloud monster with only eyes and no face and he would have had the same amount of impact.

Ldude893:
Sauron would've been a great villain if we never see him at all in his humanoid form, because he looks ridiculous when he appears in the beginning of the film.

No, sir.

Sir, no.

==========

Anyways. Eh, it was alright. King Sombrero gets defeated rather too easily, but this is a kid's cartoon.

Needed more Chrysalis though. Every episode needs more Chrysalis.

Saw it, and it was bad.

For everyone.

EVEN YOU.

It was either poorly written or Hasbro-ed to shit.

I thought it was slightly darker than previous episodes, or maybe I just noticed it more. It was good, but there was too much pinkie pie and not enough rarity/applejack, imo. Also, the villain wasn't particularly good. Altogether, though, it was by no means a bad episode. Its got me looking forward to the rest of this season.

Daystar Clarion:

Come on man, you know full well almost all of the flames nowadays are caused by the haters. They choose to go into a thread to cause trouble.

OT: It was OK I guess but I'm not a huge fan of the two-part episodes anyway. I prefer the single episodes where the characters are just goofing around and the show isn't taking itself too seriously.

It's a new season of MLP F:i:M... what's not to like? :D

Twas a profound adventure of bravery from Miss Twilight Sparkle and her... acquaintances. But what I do not understand is why my sister asked that I stay in Canterlot instead of assisting Miss Sparkle.

I am beginning to think that she is... trying to purposely upset the audience.

Eh, it was pretty good. Could have been better, but it's not like you can roll out unique and well-characterized villains whenever you feel like it. Sometimes you just need an ominous presence.
Though I wish we saw more of ol' Sombrero; he reminded me of Mad King Ashnard, and his puzzles (for lack of a better word) that Twilight solved were actually pretty crafty. I mean, a secret passage that only appears when the palace is overshadowed with darkness? That smacks of dual-world gameplay, and this is from a freaking children's cartoon, not Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

The gags were pretty funny as well, especially the ones involving Pinkie Spy. Songs weren't that compelling, but I wasn't really looking forward to them anyway.

Aaron Sylvester:
Meh I care not for the first two episodes, for it's always AFTER that when the show really takes off!

I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!

My thoughts exactly. If this is any indication, Season 3 will be up to par and perhaps better in some places.
It looks to be solid.

It was alright, villain was kind of meh but Discord can't be everywhere.

I was pretty damn impressed with it, the animation was in top form and they implied some deeper things coming that are interesting me, the big bad could have used more personality but he worked for what they needed him to be. I started out worried they were gonna go too fan service with it since pinkie seemed to be in rather big 4th wall mode but damn that was a good episode, I fucken need more ponies! INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS!!!!!!

I thought it was a great episode, but I'm easy to please. I thought the songs were a little weak, and I felt that the bad guy wasn't really given any kind of motivation or time. He's just creeping towards the empire, he really doesn't even do anything and barely has any lines, so he's just kind of an "Evil-doer Because We Say So!"TM.

Still I was happy with it and I thought the crystal ponies were neat. Not to mention Pinkie-Pie sneaking around with the night vision goggles was hilarious.

I know I'm not around much anymore, and I'm sure I've missed dozens and dozens of pony threads, but here's a link to the Escapist MLP user group, if anyone is interested:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/MLP-Friendship-is-Magic
I recommend that anyone who joins uncheck "Chat Notifications" when prompted, as the group chat tends to be very active.

As for the premiere: I thought it was pretty good overall, though I wasn't a big fan of the songs and the King Sombra didn't get any characterization at all. The mane 6 all had good moments (except Rainbow Dash, who will never be forgiven for how she treated Fluttershy), and I liked the interaction between Spike and Twilight. I also welcome all the massive, glaring foreshadowing of an overarching plot for the season.

They should have given me more back story and personality of Sombra. Also, it feels rushed because the story felt jumpy and out of place. I like Season 2 and Season 1's opening episode way better.

The worst thing is at the beginning the guard rushes in and goes, "He's returned!" And Celestia is like, "OH... MY... GOD!" In expression. I was like, "Who? What the fuck are you even talking about? And how did you know from... 'him' did you get King Sombra?"

Hasbro was to dramatic in this and it ruined my experience of the story and the characters. Even the objective.

To Hasbro - LEARN TO NOT RUSH!

Daystar Clarion:

Not to be confrontational with you sir, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly
support MLP threads in off-topic. There are individuals--like myself--who are
inspired to give the show a try because of them, and now know the unbounded joy
of Friendship's Magic.

(And I have to say, that's an awesome avatar)

Personally, I loved it. I thought it was a great return to a great series. Yes, I was disappointed by the lack of antagonism, but still, it was an awesome episode.

Little Woodsman:

Daystar Clarion:

Not to be confrontational with you sir, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly
support MLP threads in off-topic. There are individuals--like myself--who are
inspired to give the show a try because of them, and now know the unbounded joy
of Friendship's Magic.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone should be able to make a thread about anything they like, but pretty much every MLP thread follows the same trend.

Well, or at least they used to, I haven't seen any hate so far, so maybe people have learned to just ignore things they dislike :D

I enjoyed it. I have a feeling that we will see the villain again. So i can forgive the lack, but he felt more like a natural disaster than a bad guy. Couldn't we just have some black mass of corruption be the threat?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked