My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, season 3, episode 1-2. What did you think of it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Luna:
Twas a profound adventure of bravery from Miss Twilight Sparkle and her... acquaintances. But what I do not understand is why my sister asked that I stay in Canterlot instead of assisting Miss Sparkle.

I am beginning to think that she is... trying to purposely upset the audience.

My Princess,
Your sister was deprived of your company for a thousand winters, it is perfectly understandable that she would want you to stay near her as much as possible for now.
Though I do wish that she would choose her words more carefully--saying that Sombra's heart
was "black as night" seemed--inappropriate.

(I would say that I love your avatar, but that is too much of an understatement.)

Little Woodsman:

Luna:
Twas a profound adventure of bravery from Miss Twilight Sparkle and her... acquaintances. But what I do not understand is why my sister asked that I stay in Canterlot instead of assisting Miss Sparkle.

I am beginning to think that she is... trying to purposely upset the audience.

My Princess,
Your sister was deprived of your company for a thousand winters, it is perfectly understandable that she would want you to stay near her as much as possible for now.
Though I do wish that she would choose her words more carefully--saying that Sombra's heart
was "black as night" seemed--inappropriate.

(I would say that I love your avatar, but that is too much of an understatement.)

Nothing can, or ever will triumph My Little Pony.

That "it's a test" thing kind of felt like a plot black hole that dragged the rest of the plot in after it and I can't really wrap my head around the rest of the two-parter because of that. It's a major mental stumbling block.

I get that meta-wise, there needs to be an excuse to send Twilight and her friends into the arctic without backup to confront some ancient menace, but surely there could be a better reason than this. I mean, even I could come up with something like "The Aurora Borealis has been poisoned and now kills any pony except the crystal kind, but you bunch can go in because the Elements will protect you." See, now there's a reason why they - and only they - can be sent.

Daystar Clarion:

Little Woodsman:

Daystar Clarion:

There's a usergroup for MLP.

This won't end well, it never ends well.

The blood of millions will be on your hands.

Not to be confrontational with you sir, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly
support MLP threads in off-topic. There are individuals--like myself--who are
inspired to give the show a try because of them, and now know the unbounded joy
of Friendship's Magic.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone should be able to make a thread about anything they like, but pretty much every MLP thread follows the same trend.

Well, or at least they used to, I haven't seen any hate so far, so maybe people have learned to just ignore things they dislike :D

Daystar, these cretins forum-goers look up to you. Promote the occasional Pony Thread (nothing outside of "What did you think of [Latest Episode Here]" mind you) and maybe we can slowly get rid of this stigma that all Bronies are the trolls that annoy people.

OT: It was a great episode. Fun, light-hearted, setting itself up for an over-arching story. Excited to see where they take it.

I loved it myself.

I will agree that the villain could have been more fleshed out, but I guess not every villain in the show is going to be a winner.

So far, season 3 is off to a great start, and I can't wait for more.

Also, there seems to be a bit of foreshadowing involving Twilight. During the beginning of the episode, Celestia mentions something about if Twilight accomplishes her goal at the Crystal Empire, she's "that much closer to being ready".

Also, before the ending, a book magically spawned between Celestia and Luna.

I look forward to how this develops.

I thought it was overall pretty cool.

The story was reasonably interesting, it's nicely-paced, and it builds up to an awesome nail-biting climax.

King Sombra might not have much characterization given, but I think the way the show presented him did lot to make up for it.

This is the guy that charges into the kingdom he's trying to take back by gradually covering it in darkness Crawler-style, wanting to put the Crystal Ponies back into slavery, turning beautifully shining crystal houses into dark, menacing spires as he passes them by, things like that, say what you will about him, he knows how to make an entrance.

I'll go as far to say I've becoming rather optimistic toward the show, and will be looking forward to watching all the other Season 3 episodes to see how they turn out.

I liked the character stuff, and am okay with King Sombre being less developed than the previous foes. This episode was much more about character development, especially for Twilight and Spike. In that regard, I though it was very well handled.

It had a lot less emphasis on comedy, which I thought was an interesting turn. It was all about the action and the relationships. It was different, but in a good way. Nice to see the show step up some elements of it's storytelling. I thought it went well.

Cadence and Shining are growing on me. Wish I could say the same for the other royals.

There's quite a bit I noticed in the first two episodes that didn't work out well. As much as I enjoyed seeing Season 3's premier of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic .. I have to point out a few things.

- Even though the first two episodes of Season 2 felt 'rushed', they did an amazing job making the antagonist Discord fleshed out. He wasn't some cliche' evil dark force that wanted to destroy things. Instead, he was a hilarious but very clever villain that had a very interesting personality overall. Season's 3 villain was cliche' of being a evil dark force that wanted to destroy (well, enslave the Crystal Empire but still the way he was). Not only that, he had no personality or even a lot of screen time.

- The first two episodes built up on how the main 6 were going to keep the crystal ponies happy during the fair. That's where the show falls apart. It takes to much time to show each pony doing what they're tasked for, while showing what Twilight and Spike need to do to save the Crystal Empire. A lot of moments felt slowed, even dragged for the purpose to show "Hey look how funny this is!" when really our interest would of been preferred to seeing how the villain took on the main 6 instead.

- The logic behind Princess Celestia. She risked an Empire's freedom and the people just to 'test' to see how Twilight would handle the task. That's utterly ridiculous especially not sending Luna to do anything. Luna would of been able to hold up the barrier or fight off King Sombra in a way only the fans could of wanted. But, instead it's all held back for the sake of Twilight doing something, and it resorts to Spike having to save the day (which I am glad to see he was seen as a hero, the little guy gets used a lot.)

- The biggest flaw of the first two episodes in my eyes was .. the fact the writers decided that the show needed to focus on the main 6 running a fair when a powerful demonic villain is trying to come through. In a sense, you'd think the show would have every crystal pony stay in as the main 6 did what they needed to do, as they showed perhaps the backstory to the antagonist or say showing him getting through and winning at first, but the main 6 fight him off for good at the end. Potential was wasted since the fair was more important then showing an endless struggle against a force like this.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Daystar Clarion:

Little Woodsman:

Not to be confrontational with you sir, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly
support MLP threads in off-topic. There are individuals--like myself--who are
inspired to give the show a try because of them, and now know the unbounded joy
of Friendship's Magic.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone should be able to make a thread about anything they like, but pretty much every MLP thread follows the same trend.

Well, or at least they used to, I haven't seen any hate so far, so maybe people have learned to just ignore things they dislike :D

Daystar, these cretins forum-goers look up to you. Promote the occasional Pony Thread (nothing outside of "What did you think of [Latest Episode Here]" mind you) and maybe we can slowly get rid of this stigma that all Bronies are the trolls that annoy people.

OT: It was a great episode. Fun, light-hearted, setting itself up for an over-arching story. Excited to see where they take it.

I will if there's money involved.

A substantial amount.

Daystar Clarion:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Daystar Clarion:

A substantial amount.

You know, I've begun to notice that the majority of the comments on mlp threads is about the impending flamewar, not the flamewar itself.

Lucky Godzilla:

Daystar Clarion:

Capitano Segnaposto:

A substantial amount.

You know, I've begun to notice that the majority of the comments on mlp threads is about the impending flamewar, not the flamewar itself.

Oh it'll come.

Any minute now.

Yup.

*checks watch*

I liked it but it left me underwhelmed. I hope that Sombra will be expanded on in the coming episodes but who's to know. I've changed my opinions on the songs from what it was. The second song in episode one about the Crystal fair was pretty good. I have kinda mixed feelings about it. On one hand it was more grown up and darker then the others. (The villain being an enslaver and most likely killer) On the other hand I think it was weaker then the other two praters. Uninteresting villain, only one good song. But...the humor was good, the animation was the best it's ever been. It doesn't end how you thought it would. And it confirms a theory I've had about magic in Equestira. I've long thought that magic had to resonate with emotions, and now with the crystal empire and the revelation of 'Dark magic' that's based on negative emotions I think it's been proven.

In short: I liked it but the Villain could have been better. Hopefully he'll get more fleshed out. He has a lot of potential. Why do I keep harping on the villain? Cause heroes are defined by the threats they face.

Daystar Clarion:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Daystar Clarion:

A substantial amount.

Then you are just as bad as the trolls themselves >.>

*gives Daystar 20,000$ and Park Place*

Oh! And i did come up with a reason for why Celestia didn't or wouldn't send luna to the empire. Luna is her little sister, she lost her once hell she had to lock her up for 1000 years.(1000 years ago was fucked up time, discord, sombra, and then her sister flips her lid.) Do you think she's gonna risk losing her little sister again? Over-protectiveness, she wanted to keep her sister safe. At least that's reasoning we can understand. Though it's just a theory right now.

I thought it was... fine.

The animation was superb, as usual. The story was, well, okay. Nothing to call home about, that kind of plot has been done before, and I didn't find it all that stimulating.

The humour was hit and miss. Pinkie's lines were great, the rest were passable at best. IMO, it was a fine intro to the new season, but not one I would rewatch out of desire.

Honestly I never found the series openers/enders to be that great anyways.

Overusedname:
I liked the character stuff, and am okay with King Sombre being less developed than the previous foes. This episode was much more about character development, especially for Twilight and Spike. In that regard, I though it was very well handled.

It had a lot less emphasis on comedy, which I thought was an interesting turn. It was all about the action and the relationships. It was different, but in a good way. Nice to see the show step up some elements of it's storytelling. I thought it went well.

Cadence and Shining are growing on me. Wish I could say the same for the other royals.

Yeah, that's how I feel about this episode as well. I really liked how Spike ended up being the one to save the day in the end.

Daystar Clarion:

o.0 live and let live on the Internets? THE END DAYS ARE UPON US!!!

>.> hold up a sec ...

Hazy992:
snipe

who the hell are you and where is the real Hazy -.-

Lunar Templar:
>.> hold up a sec ...

Hazy992:
snipe

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

>.>
<.<

Wait look over there! *runs away*

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:
>.> hold up a sec ...

Hazy992:
snipe

>.>
<.<

That won't work on me! *pounces on before you can escape*

but really, i had to double take when i swap the avi D: what happen to Vegeta?

What catched my eye was the improvment of the animations. The first duet of Twilight/Spike really was a flash-show-off :>
Which brings me to the songs which were great but sadly to short for my taste, specially "We got to this right" was very catchy.

To the plot i can only hope that this was the beginning of a more story-driven 3rd Season and i guess Twi's test was just the start.
I just thought even though the Mane6 were there, they hadn't alot of screentime and/or interaction. Specially with the bad guy. That's what i liked with Discord.

Everyone of them had to fight with him and you could see more interaction also within the ponies, since they got also confronted with each other. I like it when episodes feel "alive".
And some people mentioned it: Contrary to Discord/Chrysalis Sombra just didnt feel dangerous. Luna and Celestia didn't seem that crazy worried about it, in the end it was just a test for their disciple.

So jeah even though i really liked the episodes and they're in my top list they're definitly weaker than both Discords and Chrysalis double episodes.

I'm lookin' forward to the episodes now. i feel like sitting on hoat coals :>

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:
>.> hold up a sec ...

>.>
<.<

It hasn't been Vegeta for a few weeks now. It was Shadow before this one

I haven't seen it yet. I've kind of grown cold towards FiM, sadly. I haven't even visited EquestriaDaily in two months.

I do want to start up again soon, though.

Ljs1121:
I haven't seen it yet. I've kind of grown cold towards FiM, sadly. I haven't even visited EquestriaDaily in two months.

I do want to start up again soon, though.

Well, if you were going to start again, now is the best time. This new season looks like the best one yet.

LET THE GREAT EXPERIMENT BEGIN!

I liked it. Like others have said the villain was a bit meh but maybe he will make a return at some point and be more fleshed out.

I liked the interactions with the ponies and the fact that Applejack was the only one to get anything useful out of them, and the fact Pinkie overheard some very important information but then got completely distracted:p

The fair was fun too.

I did wonder where the hell Rainbow Dash was at the end though. Maybe she secretly hates Spike or something :p

Hazy992:

Lunar Templar:

Hazy992:

>.>
<.<

It hasn't been Vegeta for a few weeks now. It was Shadow before this one

well last time i saw you in the same thread as me it was Vegeta still, though, i don't hang out in 'off topic' much anymore. *shrugs*

I hate how the songs have become. They don't even sound good anymore. Remember when the songs in season one had a slight presence of self awareness to them? Combined with them actually being good songs, it made them feel somewhat like "Hey, other shows do this horribly but we don't".

KingsGambit:

I did wonder where the hell Rainbow Dash was at the end though. Maybe she secretly hates Spike or something :p

Well Spike did become the New Rainbow Dash...

I liked it. As others said, they really should have focused a bit more on making sombra an actual threat, or maybe give him some characterization. I think the songs were okay, but still pretty catchy as usual. It did feel weaker than the other opening/ending episodes of the previous seasons, but it still had a few epic moments(twilight reversing gravity, epic wife throwing).

Funny as usual too; pinkie steals nearly every scene she is in. Spike getting to save the day was a nice surprise as well. The episodes though, they felt a bit more...hollow when compared to the others. Still, the season has just started, and the series really shines when it is more about slice of life stuff. So, I raise my cider glass to a new season of MLP, and hope this year brings us more high quality pony goodness! A toast to you all; may celestia's light always shine upon you, and may luna's night sky guide you in the dark!

Also, please refrain from responding to KingsGambit, obvious troll is obvious. It is quite unlikely anyone in the forum does not know of MLP by now. So please for luna's sake dont respond.

It was all about Gak, wasn't it? I liked the bit where Gak was announced to be back, that was cool.

OT: In all seriousness, I enjoyed it for the most part. Disappointingly little shown of Sombra, though, thought they could've done more there. Don't ask me to go too in-depth, I'm not one for doing that to TV shows. :3

EDIT: Also, Shining Armour showed us a new way to solve problems: When all else fails, throw your wife at it.

For the most part, I really enjoyed it. The songs were catchy, (the reprise of Prepared for This at the end was especially great. Hot damn does Tabitha St.Germain have a great voice), the villain, while more than a bit two-dimensional, was genuinely evil and scary, the animation was AMAZING as always, and I freely admit I giggled like an eldritch schoolgirl at several parts (Oh Pinkie Pie, you're so random).

Twilight continuing to think about the test over everything else really... didn't work for me, though. The bit about the research paper made me facepalm.

Overall, super stoked about the new series. I can't wait to see how it'll turn out.

I feel like people are understating how bad Sombra was. It's not just that he wasn't as cool as Discord, he was just bad. Neat looking aesthetic sure, and from what they tell us he might be interesting, but that's just it - they only tell us. Celestia fills us in on what he's done and the Crystal ponies assure us that he's one bad mama jamma, but he never actually does anything. In fact, he's barely a character at all. He's more a vague representation of a threat never sufficiently explained. For all he actually adds to the story, he may as well have been a nasty snow storm that could be calmed by a magic weather machine. At least then he wouldn't need any motivation, and its absence wouldn't be missed as it is now.

Making it worse is how much potential there was in this guy. From the looks of his powers and the effect he has on ponies, he seems to be a personification of despair. After the door to despair scene, I thought we were going to get a bunch of surreal manifestations of deep, irrational fears intensified by magically induced hopelessness, but no. She just magic's it out of the way. And I'm not just lamenting how cool it could have looked - it would have provided support for a theme Celestia implied at the beginning. She tells Twi she must act alone this time, but nothing about the story seems like it needed to be done solo. What if it was about overcoming depression (or at least melancholy)? Sure, you have your friends, but ultimately it's something you have to face and overcome alone. I would be a fantastic mirror to the "Friendship is Magic" theme running throughout the rest of the series. Instead we're left with a confusing if at all existent theme about love or... something. And really, the near miss is just so much more disappointing.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person who had the whole Sauron vibe off of Sombra. Without a personality, of course he can't even come close to the amazing John Delancy. But it was a nice way to start the season. Everyone had something to do, so no one was left out. I was really surprised that there would be 3 songs, but I like it. AppleJack still needs more screen time this season.

From a standpoint of making me care, the story and villain succeed in making me not give a damn about the Crystal Ponies or the Villain.

However, I did like Spike's role, everything else he's done I felt was just boring and didn't compare to episodes about the girls, but now I couldn't help but like his role.

Same for Cadance, now I'm actually interested in her character as the Crystal Princess or whatever. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if they don't elaborate on what this means, but at least now Cadance isn't just looking like the retarded cousin at the party when compared to actually interesting characters like Celestia and Luna.

By the way, for fucks sake, Hasbro, you have a chance to make something great and moving with Celestia and Luna's backstory. For the love of God, tell this story.

Other than that, I'm just perturbed by a lot of plot holes I noticed, or just little things I noticed that bothered me, and the fact that this is the THIRD GODDAMN TIME the show has used the "Great evil locked away for an extended period of time" formula.

GildaTheGriffin:
They should have given me more back story and personality of Sombra. Also, it feels rushed because the story felt jumpy and out of place. I like Season 2 and Season 1's opening episode way better.

The worst thing is at the beginning the guard rushes in and goes, "He's returned!" And Celestia is like, "OH... MY... GOD!" In expression. I was like, "Who? What the fuck are you even talking about? And how did you know from... 'him' did you get King Sombra?"

Hasbro was to dramatic in this and it ruined my experience of the story and the characters. Even the objective.

To Hasbro - LEARN TO NOT RUSH!

This.

Also, bloody hell, remember when the songs were good, and catchy, and were there to tell a story or convey emotion while being good or catchy like practically ALL the songs in season one? The second song was good, but the thing is, season one didn't have a song EVERY THREE BLOODY SECONDS, so it was a nice surprise, now I can just tell when the next song's going to pop up.

I'm still being failed to be impressed, song writers. But you can figure out more in my upcoming Youtube series.

I'm not too impressed this time around. Everything was quite lackluster, and the good outweighed the bad in my opinion. I'm not angry, just disappointed. If it sounds like I'm complaining, I am, it's just I'm too sodding tired to make all this jangle into constructive criticism and it'd probably end in a wall of text anyway.

Well a bigger one.

But keep in my that I just want the show to get better, I love the bloody thing, therefore, I must criticize it.

The Jakeinator:
From a standpoint of making me care, the story and villain succeed in making me not give a damn about the Crystal Ponies or the Villain.

However, I did like Spike's role, everything else he's done I felt was just boring and didn't compare to episodes about the girls, but now I couldn't help but like his role.

Same for Cadance, now I'm actually interested in her character as the Crystal Princess or whatever. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if they don't elaborate on what this means, but at least now Cadance isn't just looking like the retarded cousin at the party when compared to actually interesting characters like Celestia and Luna.

By the way, for fucks sake, Hasbro, you have a chance to make something great and moving with Celestia and Luna's backstory. For the love of God, tell this story.

Other than that, I'm just perturbed by a lot of plot holes I noticed, or just little things I noticed that bothered me, and the fact that this is the THIRD GODDAMN TIME the show has used the "Great evil locked away for an extended period of time" formula.

GildaTheGriffin:
They should have given me more back story and personality of Sombra. Also, it feels rushed because the story felt jumpy and out of place. I like Season 2 and Season 1's opening episode way better.

The worst thing is at the beginning the guard rushes in and goes, "He's returned!" And Celestia is like, "OH... MY... GOD!" In expression. I was like, "Who? What the fuck are you even talking about? And how did you know from... 'him' did you get King Sombra?"

Hasbro was to dramatic in this and it ruined my experience of the story and the characters. Even the objective.

To Hasbro - LEARN TO NOT RUSH!

This.

Also, bloody hell, remember when the songs were good, and catchy, and were there to tell a story or convey emotion while being good or catchy like practically ALL the songs in season one? The second song was good, but the thing is, season one didn't have a song EVERY THREE BLOODY SECONDS, so it was a nice surprise, now I can just tell when the next song's going to pop up.

I'm still being failed to be impressed, song writers. But you can figure out more in my upcoming Youtube series.

I'm not too impressed this time around. Everything was quite lackluster, and the good outweighed the bad in my opinion. I'm not angry, just disappointed. If it sounds like I'm complaining, I am, it's just I'm too sodding tired to make all this jangle into constructive criticism and it'd probably end in a wall of text anyway.

Well a bigger one.

But keep in my that I just want the show to get better, I love the bloody thing, therefore, I must criticize it.

I'm not butthurt. Also, who cares about the catchy little songs?! When I watch a show I like to have some background and a story with objectives that ties itself with it. Season 1 and 2 where good, because Discord and Chrysalis talked and gave you the point of why they were the evil characters. Sombra, he did nothing but ride in on a dark cloud and make threatening growls like little puppy.

A song never reveals a story, it a stupid tactic people do so kids watch the cartoon. Though we are older and must be entertained by story and action.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked