My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, season 3, episode 1-2. What did you think of it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

GildaTheGriffin:
snop

All of season one proves you wrong.

Every big song is there to either tell a story or convey emotions in a gimmicky and perhaps even shorter amount of time it would take to use dialogue.

Besides, the songs just felt bigger in season one, since they more seldom happened they just seem to have more time and effort put into them, and they actually bloody sing, not just talk on rhythm.

You may not noticed it, but songs like Art of the Dress or Winter Wrap Up were not thrown in just to keep your attention, but they both showed how Rarity and Twilight were feeling about the situation they were in and explaining why they are feeling such a way. And Winter Wrap Up gets bonus points because it foreshadows what to expect in the coming rest of the episode.

Season two only accomplished this with about two or three songs, from what I've studied from them, and from what is from my humble opinion.

Also, I'm the one that's butthurt.

I'm the butthurt guy.

The butthurt guy is me.

Saw it, was a little underwhelmed.
Not terrible, not great.

The Jakeinator:
but at least now Cadance isn't just looking like the retarded cousin at the party when compared to actually interesting characters like Celestia and Luna.

Cadance was handled excellently in this episode. I was dreading having to the pink ex machina again but, no, she was just fine. No problems with her.

The Jakeinator:
By the way, for fucks sake, Hasbro, you have a chance to make something great and moving with Celestia and Luna's backstory. For the love of God, tell this story.

If you'll remember, the backstory of Celestia and Luna is "once upon a time, there were two princesses who had everything they wanted. Except one was less popular, so she decided to freeze the world into darkness out of jealousy."

While it seems like every fanfic writer has cut their teeth on an elaborate reimagining of "how Luna became evil", the official story is still the first few minutes of Episode 1. There are several ways to wrangle that into a decent episode, but my gut tells me it'll be a straight up condemnation of Luna and celebration of Celestia. So, I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

Im not sure why they make Rainbow Dash to be a bigger and bigger asshole with every episode since season 2.

Veylon:

Cadance was handled excellently in this episode. I was dreading having to the pink ex machina again but, no, she was just fine. No problems with her.

I know. That's why I said I actually liked her this time. Did I say that? Or at least imply it? Whatever, I did just now.

Veylon:

If you'll remember, the backstory of Celestia and Luna is "once upon a time, there were two princesses who had everything they wanted. Except one was less popular, so she decided to freeze the world into darkness out of jealousy."

While it seems like every fanfic writer has cut their teeth on an elaborate reimagining of "how Luna became evil", the official story is still the first few minutes of Episode 1. There are several ways to wrangle that into a decent episode, but my gut tells me it'll be a straight up condemnation of Luna and celebration of Celestia. So, I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

Now there's no reason to make such a disingenuous assertion. What would be the point of making an episode about it if the episode already explains what we know?

I myself, after watching that episode a second time, felt there was always something else to the story that wasn't there. And I wouldn't have to say anyone has to cut their teeth to elaborate on that, since you know, there are bajigillion of interpretations.

On a side note, this one's my personal favorite;

See GildaTheGriffin? That's what I fucking mean by a season one song.

Verkula:
Im not sure why they make Rainbow Dash to be a bigger and bigger asshole with every episode since season 2.

Flanderization.

It wasn't great though the episode, probably the weakest from the entire show.

The Jakeinator:

Veylon:
There are several ways to wrangle that into a decent episode, but my gut tells me it'll be a straight up condemnation of Luna and celebration of Celestia. So, I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

Now there's no reason to make such a disingenuous assertion. What would be the point of making an episode about it if the episode already explains what we know?

I myself, after watching that episode a second time, felt there was always something else to the story that wasn't there. And I wouldn't have to say anyone has to cut their teeth to elaborate on that, since you know, there are bajigillion of interpretations.

Because fan service. Fans have been clamoring for an episode on this subject since Season 1. As far as I can tell, the main draw for such an episode is the (allegedly) awesome confrontation between Celestia and Nightmare Moon. More draws include the desire to see Equestria one thousand years ago, Celestia with a pink mane, and an episode with high stakes, even if the outcome is preordained. And the safest and easiest way to wrap this up and ship it out to applause is to simply retell, in a longer form, the first five minutes of the opening episode.

Personally, I'm one of those people who thinks there almost has to be "something else" to the story. Luna certainly doesn't come across as reckless or selfish and ruining the world is something one would only do out of the utmost rage and despair. It's hard to see how she'd get to that point when she has Celestia, who's always been portrayed as loving and supportive, there to help her at all times.

Now, my gut's been wrong plenty of times before. I wasn't expecting the Royal Wedding to go the way it did. The direction they went with Luna in Luna Eclipsed was much better than anything I would've anticipated. So maybe a flashback episode about the rise of Nightmare will be fantastic and I have nothing to worry about.

Veylon:

The Jakeinator:

Veylon:
There are several ways to wrangle that into a decent episode, but my gut tells me it'll be a straight up condemnation of Luna and celebration of Celestia. So, I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

Because fan service. Fans have been clamoring for an episode on this subject since Season 1. As far as I can tell, the main draw for such an episode is the (allegedly) awesome confrontation between Celestia and Nightmare Moon. More draws include the desire to see Equestria one thousand years ago, Celestia with a pink mane, and an episode with high stakes, even if the outcome is preordained. And the safest and easiest way to wrap this up and ship it out to applause is to simply retell, in a longer form, the first five minutes of the opening episode.

Personally, I'm one of those people who thinks there almost has to be "something else" to the story. Luna certainly doesn't come across as reckless or selfish and ruining the world is something one would only do out of the utmost rage and despair. It's hard to see how she'd get to that point when she has Celestia, who's always been portrayed as loving and supportive, there to help her at all times.

Now, my gut's been wrong plenty of times before. I wasn't expecting the Royal Wedding to go the way it did. The direction they went with Luna in Luna Eclipsed was much better than anything I would've anticipated. So maybe a flashback episode about the rise of Nightmare will be fantastic and I have nothing to worry about.

It would be a great episode. It would be simple too. All they would need to do is have the cutie mark crusaders get curious about the whole Celestia vs Nightmare Moon thing (maybe they write a history report about it i dunno) and have them go find someone who knows about it to tell them the story. Or better yet have them go find some dusty old forgotten book and have them read it, which then turns into the episode. There are a lot of ways to go about it.

I enjoyed it quite a lot. I feel that they tried to tell a story that was a bit too ambitious for a 44-minute time slot, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment too much. Other than that, Sombra wasn't the best villain in terms of character development, but I feel that he made up for it by his sense of presence.

Veylon:

The Jakeinator:

Veylon:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

No.

Fan service is never, ever, EVER a reason to ever, EVER do anything, ever, because it always bites you in the ass at the end, the only way that this episode will come out is if a competent write wants to do it, and then does it, and just so happens to be the person hired to write the next episode.

Now will that writer do fanservicy stuff, we won't know until it happens, huh? But unless Hasbro pulls a "Royal Wedding" card, it's not going to be done unless a writer wants to do it, or Hasbro wants them to do it.

You got to remember, timeline wise, they'd be at least 1000 years younger than they are now, a lot of personality changes could happen in that time, but I can't properly discuss it since I'd be talking about something that I have no information about, so fuck.

Eh, they were okay, like most of the episodes. It's a pretty decent cartoon, not some marvel masterpiece of modern television. Getting your hopes up is silly.

The season needs more Trixie, however.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked