I have never raged/facepalmed so hard in my life

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

>I think that
Opinion.
Disregard it and continue.
Of course it's easy for me to say that (because i have an opinion proof shield) but if you truly become mad, you loose.
Allthough the part about rap and what it's become is true.

Didn't watch it.

In my time on this planet I've grown used to the idea that most people in the world don't like good music. They like their Nicki Minaj, they like their Lady Gaga, they like their 50 cent and their Eminem, they like Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen...

They're mongs for liking it, but hey ho, different strokes to move the world. Let them enjoy their crapfest. Means that when I go to see awesome bands, I only have to put up with people who think in a similar fashion to me...

If anything, it'd upset me if the average mouthbreathing scumbag started turning up to gigs. I can barely put up with the mouthbreathing scumbags who share my taste in music as it is.

Eddie the head:

krazykidd:

Be that as it may , but screaming is what most people ( that don't listen to metal ) will associate metal music with . But that's what a stereotype is . I'm not saying you are wrong , you are most likely right , but it is what it is . For better or worst.

How do you know this? Like I stated the Iconic ones are not that way. The popular ones are not that way. And most of them are not that way. I don't have facts on this, and I don't think you do. But the public consciousness can't be like that, it would make no sense.

Why do you think people would think this way? Everything that they are exposed to about it is the opposite of what you are stating. Unless you have something that shows otherwise, you're kind of talking out your ass. And no I am not saying that I have all the facts, I am saying all the facts that I do have lead me to think that that's not true.

Look all you have said is that "Most people" think this way because they do. I may have not made a grate argument, but it's better then "I have no facts, but this is how people think."

Wait what? Are you serious? Am i being punk'd?

Okay , question .Do you know what a stereotype is? I'm going to assume you do since you seem like a smart guy . If by some off chance you don't go google the definition . Done? Okay next step .

Google : heavy metal stereotypes . Pick ANY link that you find credible and look at the list . Here i'll help you .
http://listverse.com/2011/07/09/top-10-myths-about-metal/.

Look at number 1 .

Now , i'm not saying the stereotype is true . I'm just saying it's there . The fact you never heard of this is surprising . Now , as for your comment that the most popular metal bands don't scream . Fine that may be true , BUT who are the bands popular with? People that listen to heavy metal music no? People that actually listen to the music already know that metal =/= screaming . It's those people that don't who associate heavy metal to screaming .

Sunrider84:

Olikar:

chuckey:
Okay so I just saw why metal/rock music is talentless crap that's too loud and doesn't have any meaning to it..

On the whole that sounds about right.

Either you are also a troll, or you are as confused and uneducated as these kids seem to be.

So because I don't like power chords played in the utmost basic progressions with whiny, shitty vocals sung over them I must be 'uneducated', what and odd way of looking at the world.

thesilentman:

DoPo:

Shadowstar38:
You are being trolled.

Calm down, and stop letting people on youtube get to you.

All there is to this topic, really.

And seriously - did you really see a video with a flamebite title, which you knew would enrage you, and watched through the whole ten minutes of it? Dude, you just...I think you really did work hard for that facepalm you did. I'd only consider watching it if it was, like 1 minute. Maybe 2. I can't be bothered if it was any longer. Certainly wouldn't when it not only looks like a flamebite but you're a proof it is.

Yeah OP, DoPo and Shadowstar38 pretty much beat me to it. You're also on YouTube, what I like to call one of the stupidity hives of the Internet. Just don't let it get to you. I can understand as I'm a violinist attempting metal songs. Yes, you read that correctly. So don't let it get to you and move on.

captcha- nbcnews.com

Imagine if we tried getting all of the news networks to get a taste of unconventional culture...

I have to agree with you. I play a cello and I also do metal (not original mind you, but I tend to cover a lot of Apocalyptica) so it isn't unheard of to play a bowed string instrument for metal.

OP: These kids are aiming to troll on youtube (which is quite common for a place who's top rated videos are often childish pranks and people posting other people's professional works). Calm down and make a RE: video if you want to say something to them about their ignorance. Hell make it a persuasive research video.

You got trolled. Hard. The new generation of children are ignorant, loud, annoying brats. Deal with it.

Meh, they'll grow up and realize music is music, and nothing better then something else. Its all good...expect Rebbecca Black...thats not good.

All forms of music require talent and effort. This guy is just being a dick in order for his poorly made videos. Ignore him and the prick will go away. I still want to punch this guy in the face though

Stu35:
Didn't watch it.

In my time on this planet I've grown used to the idea that most people in the world don't like good music. They like their Nicki Minaj, they like their Lady Gaga, they like their 50 cent and their Eminem, they like Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen...

They're mongs for liking it, but hey ho, different strokes to move the world. Let them enjoy their crapfest. Means that when I go to see awesome bands, I only have to put up with people who think in a similar fashion to me...

If anything, it'd upset me if the average mouthbreathing scumbag started turning up to gigs. I can barely put up with the mouthbreathing scumbags who share my taste in music as it is.

Because Eminem and Lady Gaga are 'bad' music... God this thread reeks of elitism.

TheKasp:

Because Eminem and Lady Gaga are 'bad' music... God this thread reeks of elitism.

First; my tongue was firmly in cheek during my post.

Second; Yep, I flaunt my elitist attitude towards music proudly. I accept that people have different tastes in music to me, and I forgive them for it.

Lt._nefarious:
Well... Some metal, especially some Screamo stuff, is an incomprehensible mess with very little talent on show and some metal is fucking amazing... The same goes for Rock, Rap, Pop, Punk, Dubstep, Techno, Industrial, Blues, Soul and etc. In the end it also comes alot sown to personal preference...

Screamo isn't metal though and it's quite a hard genre to write and perform

krazykidd:
snip

I hate it when stuff boles down to a definition war but. . . No definition of Stereotype says it's the majority's opinion, just that it's a widely held oversimplified opinion of things. Without a poll or something saying "Most people" and "most associated" is inaccurate.

If you just meant it was a stereotype fine lets end this here. But the thing I had issue with was that a stereotype is not a majority opinion. And well it is stereotyping to say to say a stereotype is a majority opinion.

Maybe it was my bad for taking what you said out of context or maybe we just weren't on the same page. But if you just meant it was a stereotype, Ok. But I thought you meant "it's what most people thought." Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on that. Anyway glad that was cleared up, I am going to bead it's 6 am here.

Without Rock and Metal, Hip Hop and R&B wouldn't exist, and by extension, neither would rap.
The first (popular) hip hop and rap tracks were performed over the drum beat of a rock song, can't remember which one, but it might have been Led Zeppelin.

I'm also going to go back to paraphrasing something Dara O'Brien (comedian) said. If you don't like those sounds, don't listen to them, and you can't tell other people, that they like listening to the wrong noises, and that they should listen to these noises instead, because it's just stupid.

There's stupid people everywhere, tip for life would be ignore their idiocy and save your braincells for something worth thinking about.

Like what kind of sandwich you're about to buy.

2/10 would not get trolled

Olikar:

Sunrider84:

Olikar:

Either you are also a troll, or you are as confused and uneducated as these kids seem to be.

So because I don't like power chords played in the utmost basic progressions with whiny, shitty vocals sung over them I must be 'uneducated', what and odd way of looking at the world.

Writing off metal/rock music "as a whole" to just being talentless crap is indeed an uneducated opinion. If you don't like it, that's just fine, I never said anything about that.
Surely you must understand the difference here.

This is like watching Fox news and being pissed of that they're a bunch of trolls (or the other news networks in America and being surprised they're no longer journalists).
Let it go.

Sunrider84:

Writing off metal/rock music "as a whole" to just being talentless crap is indeed an uneducated opinion.

Opinions are opinions, if I think all of the rock is talentless crap(which I don't read my post) that's what I think. I hate this 'logic' people attempt to sell me that if I dismiss an entire genre I must be ignorant of it, what if I legitimately hated it? what if I possessed the same level of knowledge as you but *SHOCK HORROR* came to a different conclusion about it?

Olikar:

Sunrider84:

Writing off metal/rock music "as a whole" to just being talentless crap is indeed an uneducated opinion.

Opinions are opinions, if I think all of the rock is talentless crap(which I don't read my post) that's what I think. I hate this 'logic' people attempt to sell me that if I dismiss an entire genre I must be ignorant of it, what if I legitimately hated it? what if I possessed the same level of knowledge as you but *SHOCK HORROR* came to a different conclusion about it?

I don't mind you hating it. I'm glad there are different sorts of music, I don't want to share the kind of music I listen to with everyone in the world. That's not my problem. My problem is writing it off as "talentless". Sure, there are talentless hacks in rock/metal, as in any other genre, but saying it's "on the whole" correct to call it talentless makes you look ignorant and, as I said, uneducated on the subject.
If you dismiss an entire genre because you don't like it is fine too, I do the same. I don't go as far as calling most musicians in said genre talentless, or that their music has no meaning.

If you cannot understand the difference between these two statements, I won't bother replying to you anymore.

Sunrider84:

I don't mind you hating it. I'm glad there are different sorts of music, I don't want to share the kind of music I listen to with everyone in the world. That's not my problem. My problem is writing it off as "talentless". Sure, there are talentless hacks in rock/metal, as in any other genre, but saying it's "on the whole" correct to call it talentless makes you look ignorant and, as I said, uneducated on the subject.
If you dismiss an entire genre because you don't like it is fine too, I do the same. I don't go as far as calling most musicians in said genre talentless, or that their music has no meaning.

But what someone judges as talent is simply opinion, and so to say I am uneducated because I come to a different SUBJECTIVE conclusion about whether they are talented or not is rather odd.

Olikar:

Sunrider84:

But what someone judges as talent is simply opinion, and so to say I am uneducated because I come to a different SUBJECTIVE conclusion about whether they are talented or not is rather odd.

While I'd agree if you said talent is hard to actually properly measure, it's not an entirely subjective thing either. Talent for playing an instrument is not subjective. Liking what one person or another plays, however, is.

They're right; all guitarists like Petrucci or Vai ever did was "strum a few chords really loud for no reason".

Different strokes and all that, but I fail to see how someone can claim hip hop beats require more talent than a rock or metal song. I appreciate you may prefer hip hop to metal, and that some metal is utter crap, but that's just simply not true.

Olikar:

Sunrider84:

Olikar:

Except that's not most metal, and the power chord criticism is usually one levelled by metalheads at punk rock. Oops, you didn't know what you were talking about. Suprise! The guy who agreed with the stupid kids who were talking out of their asses because either 1) They're really that dumb. or 2) They're trolling. Doesn't know what he's talking about.

Whiny shitty vocals? Generally not associated with Metal. Some exceptions, but that's certainly not the overview. With offshoots of punk? Yeah, sure. Pop punk gave us lots of those, and the emo stuff that was big a while ago. Metal usually avoids lyrics about personal things, so whiny is out the door. Fantasy, satanic imagery, and shock content are more in line with their work.

Power chords in basic progressions? What? Metal usually is on the more complex end of the scale. If you'd call that basic, sorry, guitar just is basic and easy.

And while power chords may be easier than other chords, the difficulty argument is absurd anyway. For the listener, what matters most is how it sounds. A good sound can be accomplished with a variety of techniques, and if yours are simpler, so be it. Complexity isn't objectively better. It's an objective scale, so fools staple it to their argument so that they can say that they've got an objective scale for determining what amounts to personal preference. If you're aiming at critiquing the style, to rate the ability of the guitarist, whatever. But that's not how everyone enjoys music, that's how you judge whether you want the guy to join your group of Speedmetal/Mathcore addicts.

Whether you like a genre or not, you should be able to acknowledge the talent and effort that goes towards it, or at the very least avoid insinuating a lack of it. It's no picnic to learn guitar, or any instrument, even less so to learn enough of the theory to be able to compose anything worth listening to, and perform with others, and even if you do it all with power chords, it's still something that's going to be beyond most of those listening.

This reminds me of the Arcade Fire song Suburban War

Now the music divides us into tribes
you choose your side, I'll choose my side

It kind of undermines their opinion since they talk as if Rock and Metal are the same genre.

krazykidd:

Yeah i know not all metal music has screaming . But it's what is most associated to that perticular type of music unfortunately . Like rap, people assume all rap music is about bitches and hoes and saying n***a a lot . Hell my favorite rapper is Eminem and he doesn't use the word n***a at all ! Mostly because he can't due to being white , but that's a minor detail

Yeah, that stereotype about rap annoys me, too. Some of my favourite lyricists are rappers. Hell, good rap HAS to have good lyrics, it's the whole point!

Eddie the head:

I'm sorry but I take issue with this. Why? Almost all the iconic metal bands that most people know don't do that. I.E Megadeath, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath. Also I don't know what is "popular" right now but I think "Disturbed" is, or the last time I checked, and the lead singer doesn't scream.

I could understand if a Vocal minority was like that, but it's not. The majority of Metal bands, and the majority of well-known Metal bands don't do that.

I dunno, a LOT of people associate metal with screaming and it's largely because the most well known modern metal bands do primarily scream :[. I've had someone try to convince me that Iron Maiden weren't metal primarily BECAUSE they have a singer, not a screamer. That annoyed me.

I don't think Disturbed are all that big anymore. All the metal kids in my college are listening to Lamb of God or Whitechapel or whatever. All of their bands scream, too. I know it won't be like this everywhere, this is just my area and my college.

[elitism]They could at least listen to GOOD harsh vocal-led metal like Autopsy or Death, I mean, GAWD.[/elistm]

I'm guessing a lot of older folk don't associate metal with screaming the same way, though.

chuckey:
Okay so I just saw

video of these two kids explaining why metal/rock music is talentless crap that's too loud and doesn't have any meaning to it. I have never been so annoyed by something in my life.

They saw that all you need to for metal or rock is just know how to strum a guitar while rap takes talent to rhyme?????

Anyway, what do you guys think of this? I mean I do like some rap artists but i am a metalhead and rocker true and true. Also as a guitar/bass player it is not easy to just "strum" a guitar and sound good.

Have you ever known people to have difference of opinion before?

Holy shit, OP. Seriously? Let's go over this:

- These kids can't be more than fourteen years old.
- They recorded this with a shitty camcorder they found at Fischer Price.
- Their voices are raspy as hell.
- The video is them talking aimlessly for ten solid minutes.
- Black people preferring rap to metal shouldn't come as a surprise to you.
- They refer to metal as a disease.

And you fucking took this seriously? In any capacity?

There are two options: either

Zaik:
ITT: the OP is introduced to cultural bias for the first time and doesn't understand.

or OP just made this thread to troll us, and failed spectacularly.

It's a gong show however you look at it.

You seriously need to get out more and read up on things that happen in the world and around you, if THIS is what you consider the most rage-inducing thing in your life.

Learn to be like a duck when it comes to anyone opening their mouth about what they think of certain kinds of music. Let it roll off your back. People have preconceptions about what it takes to make music and everyone acts like they are a bloody expert whose opinion is the be-all end-all when usually they are fully wrong and no amount of rage and facepalming will ever change their thoughts on it. Just ignore them.

Loonyyy:

Fantasy, satanic imagery, and shock content are more in line with their work.

That sounds pretty whiny and shit to me.

Power chords in basic progressions? What? Metal usually is on the more complex end of the scale. If you'd call that basic, sorry, guitar just is basic and easy.

Metal and rock are mostly built on basic 3 or 4 chord progressions with long guitar runs going up and down several scales, I'd hardly call that complex at all and when you compare the guitar playing from Metal to say Blues or Ragtime guitar it's seems pretty obvious to me that Metal is at the lower end of the complexity scale.

And while power chords may be easier than other chords, the difficulty argument is absurd anyway. For the listener, what matters most is how it sounds. A good sound can be accomplished with a variety of techniques, and if yours are simpler, so be it. Complexity isn't objectively better. It's an objective scale, so fools staple it to their argument so that they can say that they've got an objective scale for determining what amounts to personal preference. If you're aiming at critiquing the style, to rate the ability of the guitarist, whatever. But that's not how everyone enjoys music, that's how you judge whether you want the guy to join your group of Speedmetal/Mathcore addicts.

No I agree, how complex the music is irrelevant to enjoyment, however I wasn't talking about whether people should enjoy it or not was I? I was talking about the talent involved in the music and the complexity of a musical genre is very much relevant to the talent required to play or write it.

Whether you like a genre or not, you should be able to acknowledge the talent and effort that goes towards it...

But at the end of the day I don't feel there is much talent in Rock and Metal, it's all rather simplistic and boring to me.

yeah?

a troll on youtube. there's a lot of those

Just the phrase "Metal requires no talent" is definitely a cause for a facepalm if the person saying it actually believes it. Other than that it's a troll attempt, be it on purpose or an accident. Metal requires not just one skill, but several...and each of those skills whether it be guitar or drums, takes years to perfect, and while I definitely hold the highest respect for rap music...I know for an absolute fact it takes more work and effort to coherently put together a good metal song. That doesn't make it better, but it makes it ignorant to say that metal doesn't require talent nor hard work.

*two kids
*bad audio
*bad video
*Really retarded and oppinion based arguments
*The kids are either trolling or very stupid

Move along, nothing too see here

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked